Reviews of Wing Hall Wing Lakes Caravan & Camping

Campsite Search > UK > England > Central > Rutland > Oakham > Wing Hall Wing Lakes Caravan & Camping Reviews

Wing Hall Wing Lakes Caravan & Camping
Wing Hall
Wing
Oakham
Rutland   (Browse area)
LE15 8RY

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Glamping Units
 Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 Shop On Site   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   Wifi Access
 Fishing On Site   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   No Cycle Hire   Golf <5 miles   No Tennis
 No Beach   Watersports <5 miles   Boat Launch / Mooring <5 miles
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  121 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13

Our site is open and we are taking bookings , please be assured you can book with confidence. Our toilets are Open. Our showers are Open. Other communal areas may be restricted - please check with us for more information

To enquire about a booking or for more information please contact us

Date of Visit: July 2020  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Touring Caravan
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Family with young children
Reviewer: Roomwithaview 1 review from this member

Great spot with decent facilities and a well stocked shop.

Pitch allocation was a bit wonkie but we found somewhere else and told them after we had come back from an impending booked table at the pub. No drama. (Excellent food, Black sheep bitter!)

Had lots of toilets and showers even though it was busy.

They rent fire pits,

Rutland water is close by.

Date of Visit: May 2019 Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 3 Travelling as:  Family with young children
Reviewer: Neilloop 1 review from this member

Really poor facilities. Showers were either dangerously scolding hot or freezing cold.

Men's urinal / shower block was a dank hell hole that was locked most of the time. Some were without locks some without lights. So many campers were not happy. The toilets and showers and washing up facilities were rustic in the extreme. It's a shame as the sight has potential and is in good location.

It needs some younger more committed management to run it properly and money spending on the facilities to bring them up to even a basic but clean and functional standard. Sorry but facilities standards have improved generally on campsites except here.

I really hope the owners take note and improve the facilities. We would return to the area but look elsewhere.

Date of Visit: September 2018 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: JohnFaul 7 reviews from this member

I booked online for a two night stay. On arrival I was shown to Field no. 1 and told I could pitch anywhere I fancied. This field is quite level with good grass.

There were several showers in different locations with plenty of hot water. The electric showers in the loo block by the hall seemed liable to flooding, I never actually used those ones so may be mistaken. There’s plenty of dish washing sinks too.

Overall a quiet campsite with enough facilities to not be roughing it but it feels like “proper” camping.

The pub in the village does food but is overpriced.

Date of Visit: August 2018 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: The wain travellers 3 reviews from this member

Visited for two nights - had been a little anxious due to the mixed reviews, but really pleased that we read between the lines as we had a great time.

Booked on line with a deposit, but price was actually less than quoted when we arrived! Our allocated pitch was occupied by a large group, but we went back to the shop and there was no problem with us choosing another pitch (our choice).

This is a proper camping site, not for someone who wants award winning facilities and clinical pitches which look like they have been vacuumed and disinfected. Having said that, the facilities ARE regularly cleaned and plenty of loo roll on a busy weekend! ALL the staff are courteous and attentive in the shop and cafe.

The full breakfast is to be recommended and the shop is well stocked. Ideal for Rutland Water.

Date of Visit: April 2018 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Pfitz0112 2 reviews from this member

Just got back from a four day stay at this little gem of a site! I've noticed some negative feedback from others but to be honest all the toilet facilities and showers are more than adequate as are the pot washing facilities.

The staff are both professional and helpful. Smell who works in the shop was especially kind to both my girls as was the the camp owner. The shop is well stocked with some amazing bread and fresh eggs as well as wines beers and spirits.

If your new to the area as we were then this is a great place to explore all the surrounding areas.

Date of Visit: April 2018 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Rmtheatre 2 reviews from this member

It's such a shame, this has the potential to be a really nice campsite, unfortunately it's badly let down by its staff.

Firstly what you are quoted on the website might not be what you actually pay. Website said £40 total which I paid in advance however when I arrived I was charged an extra £12, making each night £26, a lot for a very basic campsite with no hardstanding pitches.

The lack of hard pitches resulted in us being stuck in the mud, thank goodness for our fellow campers who pushed us out.

After a wet day (not the campsites fault) I looked in vain for some functioning showers. I called and was rather rudely told that all campers had been told where the showers were. I hadn't been.

When we had a problem with our electrics the maintenance man was very helpful and helped us rectify the problem.

I hired a fire pit when we arrived, paid a £20 deposit and £5 for a days hire. After being out all Sunday I tried to return it Sunday evening but the reception was shut.

On Monday morning with the reception open I returned the firepit but was only given £15 of my deposit back. I was told that I had it on Sunday so it would be an extra £5. I pointed out that I had tried to return it but couldn't and anyway Sunday was a complete washout there was no way it could be used and the campsite was also virtually empty so it wasn't like I was depriving anyone else of a firepit. I was told that they are the rules, £5 a day, no exceptions. Further attempts to argue my case were met with silence and so I left Wing Hall caravan site with a sour taste in my mouth.

I hope they spend my £5 wisely.

Would I return? To the area, yes, to the campsite, no.

Date of Visit: May 2017 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: LesD 19 reviews from this member

A much better site than we expected. Stayed 4 nights. Staff very friendly and helpful. Well stocked shop, excellent licensed Cafe serving good food. 4 camping areas to choose from EHU in 2. The Adults only field is mostly level the others are gently sloping. Great views from the site.

The toilet block in the field has 4 WCs & 2 basins on each side Male & Female, outside is a covered wash-up area with sinks but no hot water. The second toilet block is near the hall. It is a bit cramped with 3 WCs and 1 basin for men & the same for women. There are 2 sets of push button showers with plenty of hot water(no charge). Main shower block next to the Hall has 3 male & 3 female showers.

The second has 1 female & 2 unisex showers. Nearby are wash-up sinks with hot water. All the WCs, Showers and sinks were cleaned regularly with tiled or painted walls. Only criticism is the limited number of wash hand basins.

Plenty of Chickens roaming around, fields with goats and a pig to watch, friendly cats and a dog to stroke.

The village pub is a short walk away. Good location for Rutland water and places around. Main supermarket in Oakham but the camp shop is very good. We enjoyed our time there and would stay again.

A well run campsite.

Date of Visit: May 2017 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Belper Bloke 2 reviews from this member

Just had our second visit to wing Hall we love it, basic yes, but that what camping should be. The best shop in the area, try the bread,

Four fields to pick from, Adult only, EHU, and no facilities in one of the fields we went in the adult only as I can't be doing with other folks kids it was good, free showers, but very basic, no real sink for wash and shave stuff, so used the washing up bowl, great cafe for meals if you don't want to cook.

Great pub in the village, and the food is top class, not open on Sunday night.

The site is handy for Rutland Water places to eat and a pint.

So all in all basic, but fab, back again in two weeks.

One thing why do campers let their dogs crap in the camp field ?.

Regards Belper Bloke.

Date of Visit: May 2017 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Madfish435 2 reviews from this member

This place is horrid. We were charged £10 more than other people we met in the pub. ! Uou are made to buy an electricity card, even though from what I saw, there was always electricity on the pitches.

The facilities are rank. Dirty, smelly and unclean. Not a lot of investment done to this place in many years. £35 per night for filth. Not good at all.

Will not be going back. EVER.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: UnderCanvasAgain 4 reviews from this member

Had a family camping weekend here with friends and had a really good visit. Really communal feel with all the kids playing together around a tree with a rope swing. And then pitches around the edge.

We were in a gently sloping field. Pitch size reasonable. Chickens roaming around and being a little bit cheeky at times but not a nuisance, generally a bit of amusement.

Toilet block was in a bit portakabin style for the toilets/sinks, then with showers in a separate part by the hall. Freezers available for general usage.

We just relaxed on site and had a stroll locally through the fields so nothing to add on local attractions. There was a solo singer in the early evening who played on the lawn in the hall area - not my usual cup of tea, but it was a nice atmosphere with folk/families listening and kids playing.

Would definitely return in the future.

Previous     121 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Is Wing Hall Wing Lakes Caravan & Camping child friendly?  YES, it accepts children  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Wing Hall Wing Lakes Caravan & Camping?  There is a shop on site  View all facilities

Is Wing Hall Wing Lakes Caravan & Camping dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Oakham      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Rutland

UKCS Meet Camping Exhibition, Wokingham 26/06 to 26/07
Approximately 100 different tents on display, and a range of camping accessories ...more