Visitor Reviews - Westholme Park

Campsite Search > UK > England > North East > North Yorkshire > Leyburn > Westholme Park Reviews

Westholme Park
Aysgarth
Leyburn
North Yorkshire   (Browse area)
DL8 3SP
Tel: 01969 663268

Pitches: Holiday Lodges Only

No Tents   No Caravans   No Motorhomes   No Glamping Units
 Statics for Hire   Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 No Electric Hookups   No Hardstandings   No Fully Serviced Pitches   Show Full Facilities
 No Toilets   No Showers   No Washing Up Area   No Bathroom
 No Baby Changing   Laundry On Site   No Drinking Water   Disabled Friendly
 No Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 Shop On Site   Bar On Site   Restaurant <1 mile   No Wifi Access
 No Fishing   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   No Dog Walk

Reviews:  46 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Getabout 9 reviews from this member

Just visited the site and stayed for the first time in a camping pod. I have to say that I’m very impressed with them and as you get the outdoors tent feel without the hassle. All right they may cost a few quid more than a pitch but, I think I’m hooked!

The site itself is situated in the most stunning scenery and is handy for most of the attractions around the north of England. I took a drive to the Lakes and was blown away by the scenic route to it from the site.

The site facilities are very good but, as has been said before, the shower block lets it down as it is very dated and doesn’t fit with the modern lodges, caravans and pods.

The site is well managed and appears to attract the right kind of clientèle that simply want a relaxing quiet break.

I would definitely recommend this site and for the die-hard tenters, try the pods, you might just like em!

Date of Visit: May 2011 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Missizippi 9 reviews from this member

I stayed at this site 6 years ago and have been staying for the past few days in one of their new 'camping pods'. These camping pods were new at the end of last year and are really starting to catch on. Basically, they are a wooden built hut, with carpetted floor, complete with electricity, lighting and a heater. You still need to bring all your camping equipment, beds, mattresses, cooking stuff etc but there is no tent to erect, no flapping guys wires and most importantly, no damp tent to take down and to try and get dry at home!

Each pod has a parking space and a decking area in front as well as a small over hang which means you can still cook outside even if raining. We had 2 of the larger 'family' pods between 7 of us - 2 adults in one (plus all the food and cooking stuff) and 5 kids from 6 to 15 in the other.

Checking in was quick and efficient and the campsite staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I cannot praise enough the maintenance guy who helped us when we discovered we had forgotten the valve which connects our gas hose to the cadac! We were thinking we were unable to cook at all but he saved us by cobbling together some hoses and valves thus enabling us to cook! He spent ages doing it and wouldn't take a penny for his time and trouble. Thanks again!

The toilets and showers are the same as when this site used to be a touring and tent site. They are tired and dated but fully functional and spotlessly clean. Most of the toilets were locked leaving only 2 in use but this is adequate for 5 pods. The showers were free and with plentiful hot water.

The site has a lovely bar/restaurant although we didn't eat there, and a children's playground. It is located beside the river and there was plenty of open space for the children to play in.

We spent a full day at Lightwater Valley Theme park - only 40 mins drive away, other things to do in the vicinity are the forbidden corner (which is fantastic - we did on the last trip)

In all, I can thoroughly recommend 'podding' as an alternative to camping. We have a tourer and so are used to our comforts. I planned to take our tent on this trip but the forecast was so dire that I wasn't looking forward to it. Once we discovered pods they seemed like an excellent alternative and I would certainly stay in them again.

Date of Visit: January 2008 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Cozworth 4 reviews from this member

Just a note that I went to this site today as I was passing and was told that they are not taking booking this year as they are going to log cabins, and statics.

Shame as we were planning on going at Easter, and we had a nice holiday there a couple of years ago.

Date of Visit: August 2007 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Azzer3 1 review from this member

This was our first visit to this campsite and after reading some of the reviews it would be fair to say we were a little skeptical.
New Manager took over a couple of days before we arrived and was very helpful. There was a slight mix up on what we paid but it was soon sorted and refunds for the over charge were given straight back, no quibble.
Site was lovely and quiet on arrival and we virtually had a field to ourselves, (5 families). Lovely location, close to some lovely little market towns with scrumptious scones! Toilets and shower blocks were clean however the showers have wooden pallet floors which were extremely damp smelling and don't particularly serve any purpose.  Would be much better if they replaced them with shower trays.
Showers operate by token that can be purchased from the shop however the shop closes at 5pm so make sure you stock up on your tokens. There are also separate cubicles with hand basins in, which are great for washing the kids down if they don't like showers. Tokens cost 50p for 5 minutes, I never had a problem with the showers, in fact, I always got 10 minutes but other people in our party did experience cold showers or intermittent hot water depending on if all the showers were in use. There were 4 showers in each of the blocks which I can imagine do get very busy when the site is full.
There is a laundry room with ironing facilities, didn't use them but they are there! There is also a 13 amp plug socket which for 20p gave us enough time for 2 women to dry and straighten there hair! Brilliant!

There is a playground for the little ones and also a football field. There is a bar and shop on site but the shop is very basic and could really do with a little more stock.
They will freeze your ice blocks and there is no charge for this.
We would definitely revisit this site, we paid £96 for 5 nights, that was for a large 8 berth tent, 2 adults and 2 children, a pup tent for 2 teenagers and an extra car which we felt was good value for money.
Definitely worth a visit!

Date of Visit: August 2007 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Gina + Tony 2 reviews from this member

Spent 5 days here.  Nice quiet site. Tent fields reasonably level, some with electric hook ups. Good children's play area.  Toilet block clean and well lit.  Unfortunately, only 2 of the ladies showers worked and I didn't find out until after I had put in the token.

Grassed areas well maintained.  Beautiful views and lovely river runs on boundary of site.  Peaceful.

Public telephone on site, which is good because mobile signals were practically non existent.

Conveniently located for Asgarth Falls, West Witton and Leyburn; all worth a visit.  Lots to see within a five mile radius.

Lovely pub serves nice food approx 1 mile away, just before Aysgarth, and reasonably priced.

We would definitely visit again.  Proprietor's friendly, helpful, but left you alone to enjoy your break.

All in all, just what we were looking for.

Date of Visit: August 2007 Unit:  Static
Reviewer: Familycoutts 1 review from this member

Just returned from a week at this site. Plus points - Great site, clean and well laid out. Play park simple and kept our 6 year old happy. Negative - Shop prices were a bit on the high side, and only open between 9 and 5. The on site pub was closed all week except Friday and Saturday - shame as this would have been a good venue for meeting other campers.

However, a brisk walk up the hill towards the Aysgarth Falls is a fab family run pub - Palmers Flatt Hotel. Staff made us very welcome and the bar meals provide, although simple fair, were very nice and filling. Would recommend this pub to all visitors to the area.

Local attractions are well within easy reach - Forbidden corner at Middleham, White Scar caves near Ingelton, the Little chocolate Shop in Leyburn to name a few.

Looking forward to our return trip.

Date of Visit: July 2007 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Denise5889 2 reviews from this member

Just returned from this site today.  It is in a fantastic position being just a short walk from Aysgarth falls, the walk and waterfall at West Burton is great and worth a visit.  We have a 28 foot tent and was charged no extra for this, some other sites I enquired about wanted to charge us for 2 pitches, it cost us £76 for 5 nights with hook up ( first week of kids summer hols, peak time), we had loads of room as the part we were pitched in only allowed 3 hook ups in that one area, giving us plenty of room for ball games.
I do agree that 50p for showers is steep and I also had 2 cold showers,( if you go, choose the first shower on the left  side, and the the first shower on the right side, these I found hot, the others were freezing) , my husband didn't, have any problems though.
It has a small park, great for kids, our 2 are 13 and a bit past that. Club house is only open on weekend, we did go in on Saturday and found it relaxed and prices ok, a bit misleading to say it had a dance floor, it has, but there are 2 pool tables on it and they play 70,s background music rather than, get up and boogie music, also it is closed during day so no games room open.
Colin and Harry the owners were very nice and helpful. Toilets cleaned daily, they did get in a mess sometimes due to inconsiderate people not clearing there own mess up.  There was lots of hot water for pot washing at all times. W
e will be returning even though some improvements could be made to site. I get up and in shower at 6am every morning and felt a bit vulnerable in showers at that time, I would have felt safer if they were entered using a key.

Date of Visit: May 2007 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: NeilM1 1 review from this member

I can only agree with the previous two reviewers who visited in May. You really do pay for everything; first your tent, then the number of adults, then the number of children, additional car, etc. All of which amounted to £25 per night for us. We have visited this site twice before, the last time was two years ago and noticed a marked decline this time. For what they charge I would not expect the toilets to run out of paper, for only three showers to be working in the ladies and to be generally cleaner. The website states that the shop sells essentials - I would have expected bread and milk to be included as essentials.
The surrounding countryside is stunning but if I return to the area it won't be to this site.

Date of Visit: April 2007 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Sarny27 1 review from this member

Stayed here last weekend in April 26/27. Arrived Thursday so we had the pick of the Field! we had full use of Toilets, Showers, Washing Up Facilities as it was quiet, not sure how it will be at a busier time. Kids enjoyed it, although I feel the facilities for children could have been better, however if there had been more kids there they would have made their own fun.
Pub is open Friday/Saturday, but during holidays I'm sure they open to demand.
I would definitely go back to this site, staff were friendly and the Place was spotless.

Date of Visit: September 2006 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Avondale e 13 reviews from this member

This was our 2nd outing with our recently purchased tourer.What a beautiful site! The surrounding area is picture perfect with some fabulous walks around the local country side.
The pub on site was lovely and very child friendly.We had a brilliant weekend here and have booked to go again.
The only downside being very pricey and the showers wern't great.
It is a perfect place for a weekend retreat and a chance to enjoy the excellent nearby attractions such as Aysgarth Falls (only a 10 min walk from the camp) Also the quaint village Hawes and a stunning ride up to The Tann Hill pub.

Previous     46 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in North Yorkshire

Win a Buzz Quattro Tilting 4 Bike Carrier Win a Best of British Holiday worth up to £175!

UKCS Meet Tribfest Festival 15th to 18th August, E Yorks
The biggest tribute band music festival in the world! Use promo code “tribukcampsite” to save 10% on Weekend Camping Tickets! ...more