Visitor Reviews - Steeple Leaze Farm

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Dorset > Site Reviews

Steeple Leaze Farm

Fishing <10 miles   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding   Cycle Hire   Golf   Tennis
 Beach <5 miles   Watersports <10 miles   Boat Launch / Mooring <10 miles
 Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   Dog Walk

Reviews:  42 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Date of Visit: September 2017 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Maria41 3 reviews from this member

We have stayed at Steeple Leaze a lot this year mainly on the top field when it's been busy, top field hole in the ground toilets which we weren't bothered about, Last visit we had to camp on bottom field as Top & middle field closed due to camping season winding down & getting quiet, Flush toilets a bit grubby but useable, camping fees are cheap which reflects the run down toilets, not used the showers as only stay the weekend, the only issue I have is the owners resident Border Collie dog is allowed to roam the camp site late at night and both nights we were there the dog had done his solid business outside our tent, which I found disgusting I only assume it has done this due to the fact we have a dog with us which we pick up after! We would go again but only if the top field is open! When we first pitched I did smell a strong smell of dog poo but dismissed it! Overall the site is very basic but suited our needs, bring your own loo rolls! Local walks to Kimmeridge bay a must!

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Val U 1 review from this member

Very much back to basic campsite at this working farm with very limited facilities. Enjoyable and relaxed, which was helped by there being no caravans or moterhomes. Its cheapish at 14 for 2 in a tent, and only about a miles walk from the coast and the various range walks, although check that the range is open if you want to go west. Although they are keen on fires and selling fire wood so be careful not to pitch directly down wind of someone, as a couple of tents got well smoked. We stayed in the lower field beyond the farmhouse, which is at the bottom of the valley with large trees and crows/ rooks/ sheepdogs adding to the noise, relatively narrow flat field that opens out the further away you go. There are only 3 showers at the farmhouse which appear to do all which is a shortish walk from the start of lower field and a longish walk down the valley from the upper field, saw people using cars from both field. The showers were fine, although there were queues and the place was not busy. The loos were very basic, non flushing holes in the top field and a bit rough in the farm house, and BRING A LOO ROLE! No hot water at the sinks.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Emmahuggz 3 reviews from this member

Loved this place. You just turn up, and the farmer comes round and takes the cash off you - for me and the dog, 8. I didn't use the facilities, but I had a nose, and they looked great considering it's a farm and not a commercial site.

This is a no frills place - literally, a field - no hook up - no lights, and you can have a campfire. When I went to bed, I turned off all my lights, looked out the window, and there was a huge circle of fires, one for every pitch, where people were just sitting, chilling and whiling the night away. The clear skies made for some great stargazing too - especially meteor week!

Some fantastic walks to be had from the farm, up through the woods to the coastal path - and the amazing views of Kimmeridge Bay and Corfe Castle.

Another place worth visiting if you stay here, is Tyneham Village, derelict homes from the war that the military evacuated then practiced on - lovely walk also from there to the rocky Jurassic Coast - stunning!

I didn't visit any pubs/shops, as I came prepared - but you will find both within a 5 minute drive.

Not a lot for kids to do - but to me, that's half the beauty - play games, get on the rope swings dotted about and be safe in a field playing - it's as simple as that.

I will probably be returning, and I don't usually do that!

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Dubdogs 127 reviews from this member

Stopped for one night over a weekend in the summer holidays.

Camped in the bottom field which was large, but with fairly long grass. You can park up where you like and there was plenty of space around. The owner popped round on his quad to collect payment later in the day and also provide a bit of dry wood for the fire.

The facilities were basic and a bit grubby. The only annoyance on the site was a few people nearby didn't have their dogs under control and they kept wandering over to us, which wound our dogs up.

No doubt a site I'll return to at some point in the future.

Date of Visit: April 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Chris and Zoe 1 review from this member

A very good no frills family friendly campsite

Firstly, you pay for what you get; if you are looking for a very basic rural campsite which is in a great location then this is for you. It is very family friendly, there are rope swings dotted around the site and a wood block the kids can play in right next to the site. You can walk to the coast from the site which we didn't do however we were told its about a 20 - 30 min walk.

The best part is that you can have a camp fire without having to bring or rent a fire pit. Logs are sold on site by the farmer whom brings them round to your tent on an evening also while delivering the logs he gives the kids a ride around the campsite in his quad/pickup which the kids enjoyed.

We stayed with our 2 children who are 4 and 2 and our dog.

If you are a light sleeper the animal noise is sure to keep you up however we didn't mind been woken up by them, its a little reminder that your in the outside world.

Cons.

Toilets were very dirty at times with poo around the seats in 3 of them and urine all over 2, that only leaves one semi clean one. When we told the farmer about this he said 'there are plenty of toilets to use'.

There are no showers however the price reflects this and you know before you go so you can try and plan around this.

There are no shops in the area, the closet one is sainsburys in werham which is about 10-15 min drive.

The logs are 5. 50 and you don't get much for your money.

All in all this is a good 'no frills' campsite and we would stay here again in the future.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Heids 1 review from this member

I couldn't agree more with morgz86 - this campsite has many ingredients for a fabulous spot, but sadly people are abusing the relaxed atmosphere and there was a group mob culture when I visited. Being alone with my two kids I felt swamped by large groups who thought they could act however they wanted. I'd love to come back again, but don't want to risk being kept up all night by selfish groups. The camp allows open log fires, which is fantastic fun with kids. It was really fun when the owner turned up in a little golf buggy selling bags of wood. The grass is quite long and lumpy, so you'd need a good airbed if you are in a tent! Having said that there were obnoxious groups at the site, there was quite a bit of space (even in August), and I was able to pitch up away from others (although I had to move because having set up, the music and beer drinking only started after I'd set up camp!) The location is great - very hilly, so not great for family cycle rides, better for hiking. The setting is on a farm and the farmhouse looks like a museum piece! The loos are basic, but then on a par with France! I enjoyed it, but won't return due to the noisy group culture that has set in.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Vix770 5 reviews from this member

A very basic site. Toilets in a farm outbuilding and no showers or running hot water. Having said that, We loved it! Amazing views, very relaxed, very reasonable pitch prices and the farmer sells bags of logs so that you can sit around an open fire at night admiring the stars. There is a woods with a rope swing in that our kids spent hours playing on. The kids made their own fun. A car really is essential on this site as there is very little (within walking distance). It is very close to Kimmeridge bay but being lazy we drove to it! The site doesn't take bookings but there is plenty of space and you can pretty much pitch where you like. We pitched in the lowest and most level field closest to the toilets. The other fields we saw had beautiful views but were sloping and more exposed to the elements. We will definitely return here though as the atmosphere on site is lovely and we had one of our best camping trips ever here (so far!)

Date of Visit: October 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Morgz84 22 reviews from this member

Went for a quick one night get away to take advantage of the glorious weather. Decided to stay at Steeple Leaze in Purbeck.

As a campsite I can't really fault it. It's very basic, but you pay accordingly. The setting is nice and the farmer is friendly. He sells a whacking great bag of logs for 5.

There was a big group up shouting, laughing loudly and shrieking until 3am. Their noisy encampment was of minimum problem to myself as I had strategically pitched as far away from them as possible when I first spotted them. What caused the most disruption for me, was cars full of people whizzing up and down the site with windows down and people shouting out of them. Also constant Xenon headlights in the eye was not pleasant.

I even called the site at one point to get the owner out, but couldn't get an answer. After he was mobbed by complainants in the morning, the owner did go over and have a word, although I am unsure what was said.

In line with my previous review of this site, I think noise is a big problem here. I think that because it's a basic site with few rules, people see it as a party site. I think that the owner needs to put a barrier in place, and provide a number for people to contact him. A walk round at say 11ish to make sure people are quiet would not hurt either.

So this site has left me torn, I do love it and want to go here again, but it's the threat of having yobbo neighbours and nothing being done about it which puts me off going again.

Date of Visit: September 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Rain or Shine 1 review from this member

Perfect basic campsite for campfire-cooked food. The farmer will bring logs to your tent, loads for 5.

Also a cafe-tent Travels With My Aunt for meals on Friday/Saturday in second camping area next to woods (great for kids to play in).

Would be ideal for groups of friends to visit together for a weekend. Loved seeing the fancy dress party and party games one group played at the other end of my field!

About 5 mins drive to Kimmeridge Bay - for spotting fossils, swimming and rock-pooling. Also close to Lulworth Cove and Corfe Castle.

Nearest supermarket in Wareham.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Pip696 1 review from this member

This site was really good. We were looking for a campsite in Dorset that would allow campfires. There are few and they all seem to be fully booked apart from this one.

It's a 20 min drive to the nearest shop to get supplies. 3-4 mile walk to Kemmeridge bay for rock pooling.

There is plenty of room for kids to run around and even a river for them to play in!

The farmer just said to turn up so no need to book. He comes around with wood every night.

The only thing this campsite hasn't got is a shower. So if you are serious about camping and can hold out without a shower for a few days then this is the campsite for you.

We had a fab few days there and I will be recommending it to all my camper buddies.

Previous     42 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Dorset

Win a Broadlands 5A Inflatable Tent Bundle worth over 885 Win an OLPRO Shade Campervan Canopy worth 119

UKCS Meet The VolksWorld Show 23rd to 24th March, Surrey