Log in or Register

Insurance Quotes
forums Campsite Search Comp Directory tips virtual brochure Profile
Tent and Awning Reviews Competitions Caravans and Motorhomes For Sale Shopping Diary Contact Us


Features Index > Caravanning Help and Advice > Do I need another TV licence?

Choose another section:  

Do I need another TV licence?

A common question asked on our message forums, is 'Do I need a separate TV licence for the tele in my caravan or motorhome, or my static caravan?'

In this brief article we'll try and answer the question, and clear up any confusion. The following are quotes direct from the TV Licencing Authority in answer to this question.

"A TV Licence covers the installation or use of television receiving equipment at a single residence. This means that if someone installs or uses television at more than one address, a licence is needed at each. Since 1 April 1997, some changes have been made to the regulations in relation to non-permanent structures. These changes are as follows:"

Touring Caravans and Motorhomes

  • Touring caravans used for touring from place to place and motor vehicles do not need a separate TV Licence providing a licence is held at your main address, and the TV in your caravan / motorhome is never in use at the same time as the one at your main home.

Owner occupied Static Caravans and Mobile Homes

  • If your second home is a static caravan or mobile home and television receiving equipment is not used at both addresses simultaneously, and you do not let out your second home and provide television equipment, you will not need a separate TV Licence.

Static Caravans and Mobile Homes Rented to the Public

  • "Where landlords let holiday homes and provide television receiving equipment for holidaymakers' use, they should ensure that the property is correctly licensed. ......, it is the landlord's responsibility to ensure that the televisions they supply in rental accommodation (including holiday accommodation) are licensed."

  • "People staying in rented accommodation using the landlord's television, should check with the landlord to see if a TV Licence has been purchased. If there is no licence, the user will need to purchase a licence themselves."

Hopefully that will help answer the question for most people. The most common query is from people using their touring caravan, or motorhome on a temporary basis, and the first section shows a licence is not needed in this instance, provided you have one for your home address.

This article is for guidance only, and the UKCampsite.co.uk cannot be held liable for any errors or ommissions, so if you are in any doubt whatsoever please contact the TV Licencing Authority direct.

Index : Caravanning Help and Advice : Do I need another TV licence? - by UKCampsite.co.uk

Latest News, Discounts and Competitions  see all...

4602 Visitors online !

Free UKCampsite.co.uk Window Sticker  -  Recommend to Friend  -  Add a Missing Campsite

[Message Forums]  [Caravan Sites & Camping]  [Company Listings]  [Features / Advice]  [Virtual Brochure]  [Shop!]
[Reception]  [Competitions]  [Caravans & Motorhomes For Sale]  [Event Diary]  [Contact Us]  [Tent Reviews

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2024