Log in or Register

Insurance Quotes
forums Campsite Search Comp Directory tips virtual brochure Profile
Tent and Awning Reviews Competitions Caravans and Motorhomes For Sale Shopping Diary Contact Us


Features Index > Camping Furniture, Cooking and Tableware > Carbon Monoxide and BBQ Advice

Choose another section:  

Carbon Monoxide and BBQ Advice

In recent years there has been a spate of tragic deaths of campers and caravanners, from carbon monoxide poisoning from barbecues. Please help our campaign to try and stop this happening again

BBQs and Carbon Monoxide - Important Please Read

Please note, although you may be tempted to put your barbeque in your tent, or tent porch, either during or after use, to keep you warm, DONT! It may kill you, and very quickly.

Carbon monoxide fumes from BBQs are invisible, odourless, and lethal. Even if you think it's safe, and the flames have died down, don't do it. The smouldering coals may be warm, but they will kill you. Even with the tent doors open. Even just in the porch. Please don't do it!

You can download a warning poster here alerting of the dangers of carbon monoxide - why not laminate it and put it in your tent window, or maybe ask the next site you visit to put it up in their reception window. ( poster is a PDF file )

Click on the Image Below to Download our Warning Poster

General Information regarding Carbon Monoxide

The burning of all fossil fuels produces carbon monoxide (CO) and there have been deaths and serious injuries from CO poisoning in tents and caravans.

Do not use stoves or disposable barbecues (for cooking or warmth) in an enclosed space with poor ventilation.

Don't use gas fridges or heaters inside tents.

Caravanners should have gas-powered appliances serviced annually.

Also don't be lulled into a safe sense of security just by having a carbon monoxide detector in your tent or awning. They are designed to be used in buildings, and sometimes caravans and motorhomes, but won't necessarily be fully effective in a tent or awing. Take one of course, but please don't rely solely on it and ignore the other precautions just because you have one.

Important points to remember about carbon monoxide detectors

  • CO detectors have a limited life - usually five to seven years, yours should have a sticker on it to let you know when it needs replacing. If you don't know how old yours is, then it's safer to buy a new one, they are relatively cheap and readily available.
  • When you press the check button, please note this only checks the battery power, not the correct functioning of the monitor.

General Fire Advice from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service is issuing safety advice to caravanners and campers following a tragic fire on a Barmouth campsite in June 2011. The fire in a caravan on Sunnysands Caravan Park, Talybont, near Barmouth, occurred in the early hours of Saturday morning (June 11), and claimed the lives of a 58 year old man and his 26 year old son.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service is advising those planning a break in a caravan or tent to keep the advice below in mind:

- Ensure tents or caravans are kept at least six metres apart.
- Find out what the fire-fighting arrangements are on the campsite and where the nearest telephone is.
- Fit an optical smoke alarm in your caravan
- Keep a torch handy for emergencies. Do not use a candle.
- Do not leave children alone in a caravan.
- Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
- Do not overload electric sockets or extension leads if you have access to a power supply and make sure electrical appliances are working correctly
- Keep flammable liquids and gas cylinders away from tents.
- Do not cook inside your tent.
- Be prepared to cut your way out of your tent in the event of a fire.
- If your clothing catches fire, STOP, DROP AND ROLL.
- Oil burning appliances should not be used in or around tents.
- Cooking appliances should not be used in small tents.
- Do not smoke inside tents.

If there is a fire:
- Get everyone out straight away. Fires in tents and caravans spread very quickly.
- Call the fire and rescue service.
- Give a map reference, if possible. Otherwise give a landmark such as a farm or pub to help the fire and rescue service locate you.

Index : Camping Furniture, Cooking and Tableware : Carbon Monoxide and BBQ Advice - by UKCampsite.co.uk

46985 Visitors online !

Free UKCampsite.co.uk Window Sticker  -  Recommend to Friend

[Message Forums]  [Caravan Sites & Camping]  [Company Listings]  [Features / Advice]  [Virtual Brochure]  [Shop!]
[Reception]  [Competitions]  [Caravans & Motorhomes For Sale]  [Event Diary]  [Contact Us]  [Tent Reviews

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2024