I've just been speaking to a really helpful lady at DEFRA, and this is the advice she gave me regarding Brexit:
Anyone leaving for Europe before 12th April can go out on the current passport, and can return on tha current passport at any time after that (with usual tapeworm treatments etc).
STOP PRESS:
She recommended that anyone who visits France regularly should obtain a French pet passport, says cost is around £12.00, and that will ELIMINATE THE NEED FOR AN ANIMAL HEALTH CERTIFICATE at any point in the future! She told me these certificates, which last for just 4 months, will cost in the region of £90.00 a time, so it makes financial sense to obtain a French passport for our pets.
This could potentially save pet owners a fortune!
Don't forget to leave a review of the French and other European campsites you have visited!
P.S. She also said that getting a French pet passport will do away with the necessary 3 month wait after a titre test, since their rules only specify a 1-2 week wait. So, anyone whose pet currently holds a pet passport but hasn't had the titre test, and where there's not time to fulfill the 3 month waiting period before your next planned trip, if you go to France before 12th April and get a French pet passport plus titre test, you can travel again within a couple of weeks.
Your post seems to contradict it self as you state it only costs £12 and the state it cost £90 and only last 4 months? The British passport last 3 years and costs about £110 so cheaper to stick with the British passport. I also assume that the lady at DEFRA has a crystal ball. LOL!
Another point: I asked if UK residents can easily obtain a French pet passport and was informed DEFRA has been consulting with French vets and there should be no problem.
Don't forget to leave a review of the French and other European campsites you have visited!
Quote: Originally posted by iank01 on 01/4/2019
Your post seems to contradict it self as you state it only costs £12 and the state it cost £90 and only last 4 months? The British passport last 3 years and costs about £110 so cheaper to stick with the British passport. I also assume that the lady at DEFRA has a crystal ball. LOL!
The DEFRA advisor told me a French passport only costs about £12.00 and will do away with necessity for an Animal Health Certificate at any point, which will last 4 months and cost in the region of £90 each.
Quote: Originally posted by iank01 on 01/4/2019
Your post seems to contradict it self as you state it only costs £12 and the state it cost £90 and only last 4 months? The British passport last 3 years and costs about £110 so cheaper to stick with the British passport. I also assume that the lady at DEFRA has a crystal ball. LOL!
The DEFRA advisor told me a French passport only costs about £12.00 and will do away with necessity for an Animal Health Certificate at any point, which will last 4 months and cost in the region of £90 each.
Still confused? French passport costs £12. Animal Health Certificate costs £90 and last only 4 months?
Quote: Originally posted by iank01 on 01/4/2019
Your post seems to contradict it self as you state it only costs £12 and the state it cost £90 and only last 4 months? The British passport last 3 years and costs about £110 so cheaper to stick with the British passport. I also assume that the lady at DEFRA has a crystal ball. LOL!
The DEFRA advisor told me a French passport only costs about £12.00 and will do away with necessity for an Animal Health Certificate at any point, which will last 4 months and cost in the region of £90 each.
Still confused? French passport costs £12. Animal Health Certificate costs £90 and last only 4 months?
If there's a no deal Brexit or we become a Part 2 listed country, we'll need to obtain an Animal Health Certificate, no more than 10 days before travel. These certificates will be valid for 4 months and, according to the DEFRA advisor, cost in the region of £90 each. That's what she's just told me. She also advised that, pets holding a French pet passport (which she reckons cost in the region of £12 each), there will be no need to obtain an Animal Health Certificate for travel, since pets will be allowed into France on their French pet passports. This means no £90 a time, per pet, for the UK-issued certificates, and no having to go to the vet to obtain said certificate prior to each trip.
Quote: Originally posted by lidds0 on 01/4/2019
If there's a no deal Brexit or we become a Part 2 listed country, we'll need to obtain an Animal Health Certificate, no more than 10 days before travel. These certificates will be valid for 4 months and, according to the DEFRA advisor, cost in the region of £90 each. That's what she's just told me. She also advised that, pets holding a French pet passport (which she reckons cost in the region of £12 each), there will be no need to obtain an Animal Health Certificate for travel, since pets will be allowed into France on their French pet passports. This means no £90 a time, per pet, for the UK-issued certificates, and no having to go to the vet to obtain said certificate prior to each trip.
Thanks that is a lot clearer however at the moment I would take that advice with a pinch of salt as nothing as yet being decided and there are no hard and fast rules. It has not been decided if we are a Part 2 country of not as even if we leave the EU we are still part of Europe!
The advice also means that, for anyone who has not yet had the rabies titre test and so potentially has plans scuppered for travelling within the next 3 months, if they travel to France prior to 12th April (using current pet passport) and obtain a French pet passport with titre testing, they will only have a 1-2 week wait (until titre test results are known) before they can return to France. Because France doesn't specify a 3 month wait post-blood-taking.
I was told this is the current advice/recommendations from DEFRA, We can take it or leave it, obviously.
Surely the £90 is a guesstimate the same as there are widely varying costs for the blood test.
More confusion reigns!!
lidds not sure if you are aware but there is a post edit button for use up to two hours after posting.
Just realised what the date is today.
Post last edited on 01/04/2019 12:22:14
------------- XVI yes?
As well is two words!
How does a sage know everything about everything? or does he? or does he just think he does?
Remember, if you buy something you bought it, not brought it.
Don't forget to leave a review of the French and other European campsites you have visited!
Quote: Originally posted by lidds0 on 01/4/2019
The advice also means that, for anyone who has not yet had the rabies titre test and so potentially has plans scuppered for travelling within the next 3 months, if they travel to France prior to 12th April (using current pet passport) and obtain a French pet passport with titre testing, they will only have a 1-2 week wait (until titre test results are known) before they can return to France. Because France doesn't specify a 3 month wait post-blood-taking.
I was told this is the current advice/recommendations from DEFRA, We can take it or leave it, obviously.
Post last edited on 01/04/2019 12:15:26
Very true but there has been nothing "in writing" just people making assumptions and you may be wasting money needlessly.
After Brexit for all we know there may be no chances as they will be very aware that it will impact their tourism industry if they start penalising people.
Don't forget that a soft Brexit is still an option and if that happens there probably will be no changes. We are not bothering with going to the continent until the dust has settled and that may be a long time!
To be honest, blueexpo97, I rang for advice on whether we could travel to France before 12th April and return, say, early May, using our current pet passports (no titre tests) and was assured we could. The advisor then asked if we visit regularly and then gave me the advice I've related here.
I suspect the £90 estimate for Animal Health Certificates is going to vary, in the same way as blood=testing charges vary tremendously, but we'll be getting French pet passports if it eliminates the need to obtain the ruddy certificates, simply because we like to be able to just up and go without too much prior planning, Whatever the cost, with having 2 dogs and visiting Europe a few times each year, it's going to save us a lot of expense and messing about over the coming years.
Of course, we might just remain in the EU and none of this will be necessary at all...
I think the first part of this advice will potentially help people who are thinking of visiting around the 12th April...we CAN go out before that date and return after that date on current passports, with no titre testing or additional certification required (just the usual tape worm treatment for return), whatever happens on 12th April. It might be worth it for some to obtain French pet passports while we're out there, to potentially avoid organising and paying for additional certification for future visits.
Quote: Originally posted by lidds0 on 01/4/2019
To be honest, blueexpo97, I rang for advice on whether we could travel to France before 12th April and return, say, early May, using our current pet passports (no titre tests) and was assured we could. The advisor then asked if we visit regularly and then gave me the advice I've related here.
I suspect the £90 estimate for Animal Health Certificates is going to vary, in the same way as blood=testing charges vary tremendously, but we'll be getting French pet passports if it eliminates the need to obtain the ruddy certificates, simply because we like to be able to just up and go without too much prior planning, Whatever the cost, with having 2 dogs and visiting Europe a few times each year, it's going to save us a lot of expense and messing about over the coming years.
Of course, we might just remain in the EU and none of this will be necessary at all...
I think the first part of this advice will potentially help people who are thinking of visiting around the 12th April...we CAN go out before that date and return after that date on current passports, with no titre testing or additional certification required (just the usual tape worm treatment for return), whatever happens on 12th April. It might be worth it for some to obtain French pet passports while we're out there, to potentially avoid organising and paying for additional certification for future visits.
BTW you obviously realise that the 12th is the date at the latest that our PM has to decide and if going ahead with Brexit, Brexit will only happen on 22nd May 2019! Only at that point will know the reality of Brexit and what is required.
Yes, but only DEFRA could confirm requirements for our departure before 12th April and return after that date, to cover all eventualities. And their advice is that we can return to the UK without additional certification or titre test results, just current pet passports and the usual worming required.
I have included their additional advice in this thread. Some of us might subsequently decide to obtain French passports to avoid potential necessity for Animal Health Certificates in the case of no-deal or Part 2 listed country status, in the same way that some people have already opted for the titre testing, just in case.
I'm not necessarily advocating for French pet passports - we can all make our own minds up on that - just am relaying the DEFRA info, as told to me this morning. The choice, as they say, is yours.
A day of all things motorhome and campervan. The show is held both in the main indoor arena and across the grounds. Catering, hot drinks and food options are available. Easy access to the site and free parking included. Win one of five pairs of day tickets