We are booked on a Dublin/Cherbourg sailing on July 14th.
Of course, it is impossible to know, at this stage, whether UK, Irish and French regulations will allow us to travel ... all three would need to be compliant ... as well as camp-sites remaining open (Germany's pondering over going back into lock-down, points to what may happen elsewhere).
I wrote to Irish ferries asking whether we would get a full refund, or ability to switch booking to (say) 2021, in the event of any of the three jurisdictions prohibiting non-essential travel etc ...
This was the response, received to-day:
I am afraid a booking can be amended for travel within the same calendar year only.
You need to confirm cancellation with at least 42 days in advance of travel in order to lose only €100 deposit and the remaining paid to be refunded.
42 days from July 14 will be: June 1st
All may not be clear by then, and, there will be no guarantee that none of the three countries, should they be out of look-down by then, will not revert should there be a new wave of patients.
Has anyone else, planning to use Irish Ferries, had differing information?
Don't forget to leave a review of the French and other European campsites you have visited!
However they will give you this money back as a credit to any booking to France or Wales any time to the end of 2021 provided you cancel 6 weeks before travel.
Brittany Ferries have a deposit of 50% and is there any way of avoiding loss of this money if you cancel.
We booked in January paid in full 530.00 with Brittany ferries. Travel date 19th June.
We apparently booked an economy ticket which means if we cancel we loose the whole amount.
If they cancel they want to give us a voucher to be used in 2 years.
I also have two dogs who travel with us , one is only 1 and does not have a passport etc the other one does .
With Brexit etc , we did not know in the early months whether both dogs needed the blood tests , we now know up to the end of this year if your travelling to France you don’t .
So this virus came we could not get my dog his boosters, the younger dog we could not get her passport etc done either. On top of the fact we still don’t know whether our ferry will be cancelled or not.
We have travel insurance with nationwide they have assured me we should get a full refund to ring them on the 22nd May.
I rang the vets this morning still they are undecided about doing anything , I have to allow 3 weeks before travel after the rabies have been given .
Brittany ferries say they will email me 3 weeks before travel date if it’s cancelled. I have told them I do not want a voucher I want a refund .
Hope I have explained myself so much going on , a refund is my best option, then I don’t need to pay vet fees ,if we decide to travel to France next year we can do it at our leisure ,,
Post last edited on 29/04/2020 16:02:16
Don't forget to leave a review of the French and other European campsites you have visited!
Personally I would cancel the booking before 1st June, get the refund less the deposit and make a new booking later in the event that travel is possible.
The booking you have for 14th July is hardly likely to disappear with all of the current uncertainty.
------------- "Don't wait for the perfect moment. Take the moment and make it perfect."
True ... I'll wait till 1st June ... then, if there is no clarity, I'll get the refund less the deposit.
Might be able to recoup via CC payment.
There's also the possibility that IF may yet refund all ...
At present their website says:
Cancellation and Credit:
Customers who wish to cancel their booking for travel up to 15 June, can do so, and receive a credit (linked to the original booking reference) for the full amount paid for use on a future booking for travel anytime up to the end of 2021 on either the Ireland France or Irish Sea routes (subject to availability). Requests for a credit can be made to bookings at irishferries.com.
If you do not wish to avail of the cancel and credit option, you can contact us by phone, to discuss your refund options.
All changes to a booking need to be completed 72 hours before travelling.
Insurance premiums are non-refundable or transferable in the event of cancellation.
15th June is still 6 weeks away ... so it's possible that in another month that date may well have moved on ...
Waiting game.,
Don't forget to leave a review of the French and other European campsites you have visited!
A day of all things motorhome and campervan. The show is held both in the main indoor arena and across the grounds. Catering, hot drinks and food options are available. Easy access to the site and free parking included. Win one of five pairs of day tickets