If the forecast or the wind strength is for gust above 40mph then I tow on A and B roads which have a bit more shelter if it gets to gusts of 50mph I don't tow
Quote: Originally posted by checkley1973 on 29/3/2015
Wouldn't and didn't stop us. It has to be extreme to make any difference to our tow, can to car weight ratio is low and van is twin axle which aids stability.
Rest is down to good route planning and a steady drive.
In terms of wind, a twin axle will make little difference. The factors affecting whether a van will blow over in a side wind are weight of van, surface area of side and centre of gravity.
I think one can assume that height of van will be very similar for all normal caravans and CoG will not be far different. Therefore the two factors will be length and weight. Twin axle caravans are usually the longest. Checking weight to length of, say the Bailey Pegasus range shows there is a similar proportional increase in weight as the length increases.
We towed back from Snowdonia last Sunday, the winds were howling in the morning, but dropped a little in the afternoon so we packed up and headded home as planned.
There are a few factors that would influence my decision on whether to go away or not during high winds, the first one would be the weather forcast and any warnings not to travel, such as amber or red warnings issued by the met office. The second would be to ask myself how stable my outfit match was, which for us at the moment is a fairly decent 74% ratio, where as our last lightweight match was a borderline 98%, and one where a few times we played safe and stayed put on site for an extra day or two should we get caught out in rough weather.
Then there is the big question of the awning, if you cannot manage without putting up an awning for your accomodation needs, then maybe its not worth risking the trip, its certainly no fun bekng up half the night hanging onto an awning that thinks its a sail off a galleon with full speed ahead, l have done that one in the past and suffered a very sore shoulder for my efforts! You also have to consider the risk of damage to your caravan should an awning fail to stay up, it wouldnt be the first time that l have seen an awning completely upside down on a caravan's roof, resulting in tge poles puncturing the outer skin of the van itself.
Also be prepared to alter your route slightly, avoid crossing high bridges and exposed areas of motorway notorious for side winds, and allow extra fuel to cope with these detours and any extra gear changing needed if you end up with a strong headwind, or creeping in traffic due to speed restrictions like we came across on the A55 last Sunday, mostly 40mph all the way up to the M56, with quite a few delays where the traffic was down to a crawl over the high bridge over the ship Canal.
Also ask yourself if the noise of the high winds and rain at night would leave you feeling more stressed than if you had stayed at home? It certainly kept us awake for a few nights last week, but being just the two of us, at least we can have a snooze during the day if we need one, which is not always easy for a Mum and Dad who have had a distubed night with young ones awake to manage to catch up on sleep during the day.
Stay safe people, if you dont manage to get away next weekend, then its not the end of the world, there will be better weekends to go and enjoy your camping during the summer months weatherwise im sure.
Julia
Post last edited on 31/03/2015 10:56:15
------------- Just love to be out amoungst Nature and Wildlife
Celebrating 37 years of Caravanning in 2019, Recently Considered Retiring, but Totally Addicted for Life!
I towed across the A66 (Scotch Corner to Troutbeck) on Saturday. We had a strong head wind all the way and I was a little nervous. Since we've been at Troutbeck the wind has got worse (and we have snow, hail, sleet etc). I am watching the weather forecast carefully in preparation for our return across the Pennines on Thursday.
We're in Cornwall now, on the cliffs above St. Ives. We drove up on Sunday in strong winds from Surrey and took A roads rather than the motorway, to find more shelter. Slowed down a bit (max 55) and it was fine, although the journey took us 8 hours!
Monday night was worse - 70mph gusts and I stupidly put the porch awning up. We didn't sleep a wink!!
This site was supposed to be full but half empty now - obviously many cancelled. With kids and fixed school holidays, we don't have that luxury.
------------- 'In later life, you will be more disappointed with the things you didn't do than with the things you did.' - Mark Twain
Well thanks for all replies . We did go on Monday . It was fine when we left . But in the night it was horrendous . We didn't sleep a wink . The van shook and the noise of wind was very loud. So although we went I was sorry because I was saying my prayers it was so bad I'm glad we didn't put the awning up. Yet the few on site that had them were all fine.
We came home today because the site is full for the weekend and we return on Monday I just hope it's better.
Depends which way winds blowing if its following youll save on fuel.
If a headwind youll use more fuel but just be careful when crossing bridges as they are usually exposed. I have passed over turned lorries on bridges usually of the high sided type like furniture vans.
There again going down country lanes you take the risk of blown down trees. so just listen to your own instinct and go by your own judgement and don't heed anybody else I rather lose my deposit than my OH and rig.
Passenger planes are not permitted to land in winds over 60 mph.
We were in Pickering, and due to come home on Tuesday, but neither me or DH fancied towing with the gusts as strong as they were, We stayed an extra night, glad we did as it was much better weather for towing on the Wednesday.
A day of all things motorhome and campervan. The show is held both in the main indoor arena and across the grounds. Catering, hot drinks and food options are available. Easy access to the site and free parking included. Win one of five pairs of day tickets