Visitor Reviews - Lagganbeg Caravan Park

Lagganbeg Caravan Park
Gartocharn
Loch Lomond
Argyll   (Browse area)
G83 8NQ   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m 5m  5m   5m

Open: March To January

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  19 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Marcing 2 reviews from this member

Never never again. Avoid or go there only if you really have no choice.

First impression is ok but it goes done when you have to pay. I was touring around Scotland and the highest fee was 12pounds for two person and 1 tent where here it cost me 18pounds. Impression goes done much more when you go to the toilet.

Toiled and shower facilities are not very clean (not very bad however) but all places look tired.

Reception never open so you have to go and look for the owner in his house located on the caravan park.

There is a big sign no noise after 10PM which mean 'go to bed and don't try to speak to anybody'.

I was sitting with my friends by the tent and we were just talking after 11pm and the owner came to us with a dog and wanted to kick us out or call police if we will not be quiet.

I could understand this if I really would be noisy but this was just conversation. I know that if we are the only people who try to communicate it is a change that you will be hear by the others however I was so angry that I asked a few people who had tents about 10-20m away from us and also some mobile home users (about 100-200m) from us and all of them confirmed that they didn;t hear anything.

Please note that the owner house is located behind mobile homes so I would say about 300m.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Tench 10 reviews from this member

We stayed one night on this site as a stop over en-route North.

The initial impression of the site is that it has seen better days. The site is untidy in places and generally looks a bit tired.

This extends to the toilet and shower facility buildings although once inside they weren't too bad and everything seemed to work.

The reception area never seemed to be open whilst we were there which means you have to go up to the house to check in. Once found, the owners were friendly.

Electric hookup all worked fine and the tap and waste water point was conveniently located.

There is about a five minute walk that takes you down to Loch Lomond and you can then walk a little further through the woods and up to a view point. All very nice.

The directions provided on the web-site were excellent which we could not say about all the sites that we visited.

The is no shop of any kind on site.

This site made a reasonable stop over (albeit a little over priced for what is on offer) but we would not have liked to stay there for an extended period.

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: BobOn 17 reviews from this member

Stopped for a night after a long day driving and needed a rest. We had a van, tent, hookup, two 19 year old and two dogs but 37.50 a night was much more than we'd expected and if we weren't so jiggered we might have gone elsewhere.

Statics seem to be the main business with campers bringing in additional income.

Showers and toilets were OK despite some earlier reviews, not stunning and they are in wooden structures but clean and tidy. However you don't get much for your money on the site. Don't recall a playground or anything for children.

Didn't investigate the surrounding area as we were heading back home.

Doubt I'd stay here again.

Date of Visit: June 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Mumzel 2 reviews from this member

I have visited this site 3 times now, as I used it as a base when visiting my son at the Naval Base in Faslane.

It is in a lovely location, on walking through the caravan field you find yourself at a path which leads down to Loch Lomond. It is very picturesque and peaceful down there.

The tent fields are situated conveniently next to the shower/toilet blocks. Unlike other reviewers, I did not find the showers to be in a bad state. Yes, the cubicles are small, but that allows there to be more in number, which means that unlike some sites, I never had to queue for a shower. Also, the showers are free. There is a separate washing up room and also a room where laundry can be done, both of these are inside, so no need to get wet when washing up.

The drainage on the pitches is good and even with the many downpours that I encountered during my stay, the ground did not deteriorate.

The site is very peaceful and there is no annoying traffic noise as the site is down a lane away from the road.

The owners were friendly on arrival, but unobtrusive during the stay. Whenever they passed the tent or saw us walking down to the Loch, they always gave a cheery wave, which is always nice and makes you feel welcome.

Balloch is about a 5-10 minute drive away and there are pubs and restaurants there. There is also a large co-op supermarket which is open late. Loch Lomond shores shopping outlet is a nice place to visit at Balloch and as well as offering stunning views of the Loch, there is a Sealife centre and you can take boat rides from here.

Helensburgh is pretty town about 15 minutes drive away, with a good selection of shops, restaurants and pubs. It is a lively place at the weekend with many of the submariners and marines coming from Faslane.

Hill House in Helensburgh was designed by Rennie Macintosh it is a hidden gem and well worth a visit.

When visiting Scotland, this site is always my first choice.

Date of Visit: April 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Churchgoer 2 reviews from this member

We visited this site recently - a group of 4 adults (all in our 30's). The impression we all got upon arriving and asking if we could pitch was that the campsite prefers couples and families only and certainly not adult groups greater than 2 or 3.

We were 'warned' repeatedly that there was to be 'no noise at all' after 10pm despite making absolutely no noise at all in the camping field to warrant this somewhat confrontational warning. This dampened our camping spirits to say the least.

The campsite itself has 2 fields for tents and the remaining area for static caravans. We paid 35 for 4 adults including electric hookup to pitch our tent. The field grass needed cut and the land was marshy despite no rain in the last 2 days. The toilets/washing facilities are basically portable cabins. Dirty bars of soap in toilets and wet floors.

If you require to visit the toilet during the night you absolutely must take a strong light and best take another person too - there is no clear pathway or lighting to help you make your way - many other campsites have this.

For those of you with young children I wouldn't recommend this campsite either as there is nothing to keep the children entertained and any form of noise is not acceptable. Additionally the marshy land makes it a very messy camping experience indeed.

Date of Visit: August 2010 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Pumps100 6 reviews from this member

I am afraid the previous poster Madhoose really says it all. The showers and toilets are simply shocking and nowadays much better facilities are generally available. The 'designer' of the shower cubicles should have been shot - to open the door you have to step back onto the shower tray. My wife informed me that only one of the ladies shower had a working fully functioning shower head.

It is also quite pricey too for anything other than camping. I felt embarrassed on behalf of the overseas tourists - what must they have felt about the site.

Owners appear to be disinterested and have rested on their laurels for far too long. Static caravans are mainstay/core of business with summer tourists being incidental bonus.

Site is in a good location near the loch and could be so much better.

Nearest pubs are in Drymen about a 7 min drive away (not safely walkable)

Previous     19 Review in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Argyll   -   Search for a site

Win a Clarke IG22000 2.2kW Generator worth 467.98! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Truckfest Peterborough
Exciting family entertainment, and you can make a full long weekend of them, by camping on site!Plus win tickets!