Visitor Reviews - Lagganbeg Caravan Park

Lagganbeg Caravan Park
Gartocharn
Loch Lomond
Argyll   (Browse area)
G83 8NQ   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m 5m  5m   5m

Open: March To January

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  26 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Rohfer 3 reviews from this member

I wish I'd read these reviews before booking as I would not have used this site and will probably not use it again. We paid £25 per night for 10 nights.

The site appears to have history of ad hoc cleaning of facilities. Nothing has changed as the toilet block was cleaned twice during our 10 night stay. Dead flies littered the wash sinks for four days before the first clean. Toilet bowls untouched for days. Cobwebs everywhere that had clearly been there for months. Pools of water from shower cubicles left for days.

The door to the ladies toilet block would not stay shut allowing the wind to blow in making it cold for showering there. My wife spoke to the owner about this who declared she already knew about it. Seven days later on leaving the door had still not been fixed. I didn't notice any heating facilities in the gents toilet block so would not like to have been there in winter months -fortunately we had exceptional good weather for September.

The shower cubicles are the smallest I have ever used made even smaller when the shower curtain did the usual thing of blowing inward once you start showering.

The reception was never open but that may be because it's late in the season. Building work was ongoing for a new toilet block - I hope the showers will be bigger. However I'm not sure it will be worth having a new block it if they don't bother cleaning that one either.

The nicest part of the site is the entrance no doubt to give a good first impression. The main thing it has going for it is the quietness of the area but for us this did not compensate for the discomfort of the facilities. This may suit one or two night stop overs if you want peace and quiet but I would not recommend anything longer.

While in the area I visited another site in the area as I will be visiting Loch Lomond a few times a year. This was far better in appearance, facilities and cleanliness so I enquired as to the cost for same time period of my stay - it was cheaper than Laggenbeg.

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Agemmell 2 reviews from this member

I found this campsite to be expensive considering we stayed during off peak time, which was made even more disappointing when I found how dirty the toilets and showers were. For that price I would expect better facilities. There wasn't even any soap available to wash your hands after using the loo. The showers were obviously not cleaned regularly; I do accept that bugs etc get in but the floor was clearly ground in dirt. The showers were tiny with horrible shower curtains that stick to you while you're in there! Yuk! I tried to open the window in the cubicle, but it was jammed. I think the owner should try having a shower in there to realise what a horrible experience it is.

There's nothing worse that going to a campsite to be bombarded with rules and 'Don't' signs.

Overall, not a nice place to stay.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Irnbru1 2 reviews from this member

I have been to this site many times, it is a family run business, they cater for people for are looking for a quiet safe place to have a holiday, I love reading all the ridiculous reviews, I can honestly say the toilets and showers are clean twice daily ( for those of you moaning about cobwebs and birds) for god sake its the countryside and unless your willing to kill these critters then there is nothing you can do. The new office is great nice little shop you can get juice, coffee bug spray etc.

As for the prices if again the people moaning had actually looked at the other sites in the area then you would see that lagganbeg are one of the cheapest. The other website say from but when you actually enquiry, it starts going up the will charge for dogs, awnings, electric, children and boats.

The sign that says no noise is to deter people playing music at all times of the day and night and the owner doesn't have a dog so I feel people are making things up as they go along. If your going to review somewhere at least be fair about it. No site is ever going to please everybody

I think there are a lot of unfair reviews, I love this place and the owner and family are always helpful.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Mumoffive 8 reviews from this member

We found this area to be very expensive. This site was no exception although when we explained about our severely disabled daughter they did compromise.

This was a basic site but one of the few where the waste water disposal was easy. The toilets and showers need a good cleaning as cobwebs are not a good look. There were no disabled facilities.

The laundry room was also on the expensive side and the tumble drier useless. There is plenty of space to have outside drying area but the owners felt that would be unsightly. I'm not sure it would make too much difference to the look.

However the friendliness of the owners made me reluctant to complain. The walk to the loch was beautiful and we were blessed with tremendous weather.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Milofilo 3 reviews from this member

This was the last site we stayed at after our tour of the West coast of Scotland, its proximity to Glasgow and Loch Lomond factored in as we were meeting friends from Glasgow. There is no view from the camping field or hard standing, it looks primarily to be a static caravan site. They were currently setting up a new reception/shop so this was unavailble whilst we were there and we had to trek up to the owner's house to do our transactions and given the area where we could set up which were plentiful as no one else had arrived as yet. The facilities were housed in portacabins and I encountered birds within and hence there was the inevitable poo adorning the walls of the toilets and they were not particularly clean nor do I think that they are cleaned daily as we were there for 2 nights.

The most disheartening thing about all of this is that this was by far the most expensive site we visited and on par with the facilities of the cheapest site we visited we paid £25 for the van and a further £5 for the awning and other campers there for the night concurred with us. We didn't make any complaints about the cleanliness but the owners were helpful with anything we asked and it was a quiet site.

We found the nearby nature reserve a blessing for walks with the 2 dogs along the shore of Loch Lomond and this is the only redeeming point, there is a very small shop in Gartocharn selling essentials and a lovely coffee but for anything else you have to head for Balloch or Drymen which is about a 10 to 15 minute drive, all in all the facilities and the site views were terrible but the area made up for that but I shall not return

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: MrsCamper2 2 reviews from this member

This site is truly awful.

Toilets and showers are not well cleaned - yes, 'cleaned daily' but little more than cursory mopping etc. Window sills had old rubbish, cobwebs etc left on them, walls between cubicles were filthy etc. Shower cubicles are tiny. Lack of soap in basins. Just an unpleasant experience!

Single washing-up point for whole campsite is ridiculous.

Electric hook-up tripped out if you plugged in more than one device at a time.

'Shop' sold almost nothing -for example, didn't have milk or bread. Charging £2 to freeze a freezer block is a rip off.

Staff didn't appear to want to offer help or improve our experience - they just wanted payment - which was very overpriced for the quality of the facilities.

Bin lorries woke us up every morning at 7am - together with the sound of people packing up, to get away from the site after just one night.

Everywhere you looked were lists of rules - fourteen rules in the washing-up room for example.

Beautiful scenery nearby is the only plus point - but much better sites elsewhere on the loch.

Previous     26 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Argyll   -   Search for a site

Win a Nemesis Ultra Wheel Clamp! from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers