Features Index > Caravanning Help and Advice > Before Setting off on a Journey
Before Setting off on a Journey
Before setting off on any journey towing a caravan, here are some checks you should carry out every time to make sure you're towing safely and legally.
1. Check car tyre pressures - adjust for towing
2. Check wheel nuts for tightness using torque wrench
3. Turn off LPG cylinder(s) and ensure they are securely strapped upright
4. Empty water tanks, carry any water you need for the journey in a small
5. Check nose weight of caravan - see our guide for correct caravan loading
6. Secure any loose items in caravan, close windows, roof lights, fridge catch,
and all catches
7. Set 12v control panel to car or off switch fridge to 12v
8. Once you have finished in the caravan, ensure the handbrake is fully on.
Motor Mover Fitted?
9. Raise the corner steadies and stow winding handle and step. Lock door
8 a) Ensure handbrake on van or attached to tow hitch, retract drive rollers from engagement with tyres
8 b) Switch Off master isolator switch
8 c) Stow Remote Control safely inside caravan
10. Hitch up check hitch mechanism is fully engaged.
Alko Stabiliser Hitch Fitted?
11. Wind jockey wheel up, unclamp and raise to highest position. Re-clamp
securely. Fit stabiliser bar (if used)
10 a) Check safety indicator button is visible
10 b) Check wear indicator for satisfactory pad wear
12. Attach breakaway cable, preferably to pigtail or secure part of the towing
bracket DO NOT LOOP OVER TOWBALL
13. Connect 12v cables making sure there is enough slack to turn corners.
Alko ATC Fitted?
14. Check all road lights are working
13 a) After connecting 12v cable to car, check warning indicator for correct function of unit
15. Fully release handbrake
16. Check all mirrors are adjusted properly
17. Walk around the entire unit for a final check all items secured away? (Towball
cover, step, winding handle, step, chocks, etc.)
18. Caravan level or slightly nose down? Car sits level?
19. You are now ready to go. After about 15-20 minutes stop and make sure all
cupboards, windows, doors and roof light are still secure.
20. Are the wheels cool _ if not then you may have a binding brake get it
21. Everything still secure in caravan?
22. Everything OK continue with Journey.
This article has the following linked sections
Index : Caravanning Help and Advice : Before Setting off on a Journey - by Graham Thompson
4968 Visitors online !
Free UKCampsite.co.uk Window Sticker - Recommend to Friend
[Caravan Sites & Camping]
[Features / Advice]
[Caravans & Motorhomes For Sale]
Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here
. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2021