we are due to arrive in shaldon in devon next sat for a weeks camping, myself, my hubby and four young kids. obviously with the weather im now panicing about wether we will get the tent in the ground...as if the grass is to soaked the pegs wont stay in the ground will they? we are travelling a 4hr journey and im paying £100 for a train ticket....i just dont know wether its worth coming all this way and paying for the ticket?? the kids will be devastated but i dont know what else to do? i was thinking perhaps i could ring the park and postpone it until august? looking at weather forecast its no help as one site said it was going to be a good week weather wise the week we are booked, and another site says its going to be pouring! i dont mind rain, i just want to get the tent in the ground - thats my main concern!! ....any words of wisdom?
------------- lauradee and mark
Don't forget to leave a review of the campsites you have visited this year or last!
I would hold off for a minute before cancelling, if you can.
Weather is supposed to be getting better from this Sunday onwards (Sunday & Monday so far are expected to be unbroken sunshine so they say) but not sure what they forecast next weekend yet.
I would wait till mid week and if they give sunshine & showers I would still come down, if they give torrential rain and gales, maybe think again. But it is supposed to be getting a bit better.
Everyone is in the same boat just now. I would wait until a few days before then ring the campsite. The weather changes all the time. We went to Aviemore two weeks ago and the forecast was horrendous. We only had rain once and it was through the night. We even had glorious sunshine too.
I do hope you manage to get away
------------- 2015 Trips
January - Red Squirrel
February - Red Squirrel
March - Gimme Shelter
April - Elie
May - Noah's Ark
May - Riverside, Skipton
May - Blair Castle
June - Braithwaite Bridges
July - The Star
July - Witches Craig
July - Scone
August - Highburn House
September - Gimme Shelter
do you think we'll manage to get the tent in the ground safely? if its just showers? this is my main concern....i can handle rain in our wellies and waterproofs...its just going all the way there with the kiddies to have to turn round and come home :( im clueless as we've always been lucky enough to never have to pitch up in wet weather or on wet ground!! :)
------------- lauradee and mark
Don't forget to leave a review of the campsites you have visited this year or last!
As has been said above - hold off for as long as you can - I like to look at the weather forecasts and chose the one I like the best - we are due to go away next Saturday too and I can't wait - I need to try out my new tent! I have looked on metcheck and the forecast for the w/c 21st onwards looks quite good!
do you think we'll manage to get the tent in the ground safely? if its just showers? this is my main concern....
Yes, if it stays like it is at the moment or it improves I don't think you'll have any problems. Shaldon was/has not been hit with flooding like some parts of the South Hams or East Devon/Dorset.
Today here in Devon it's blowy so this is helping with the ground drying out.
Wait till mid-week and unless they give really bad storms which I think is highly unlikely I would go for it. You can never rely on them being totally right anyway, we had a week of sunshine in Cornwall the Jubilee week and the forecast was rain.
Hi, I live about 5 miles from Shaldon and the sun has come out!
Seriously though the ground here at the moment isn't too sodden, even with all the rain we have had. As Chelseagirl stated, Shaldon/Teignmouth didn't suffer any flooding either from the Estuary or from rainfall.
I appreciate your worry about pitching the tent on anything but dry ground, especially with little ones but I'd hang on as others have said, we are supposed to have better weather next week and once the sun comes out it makes it all better!
We are camping locally this weekend, I'm not concerned at all about pitching. Just need to get away, rain or shine!
You could always bring some delta pegs with you? Just in case.
------------- New van!
Don't forget to leave a review of the campsites you have visited this year or last!
Get yourself some long half round pegs for the tent, ( just in case ), and enjoy yourselves. Looks like we could be over the worst, and if we only camped when the weather people say it's ok then we would all be shafted. We have just come back from Brid, expected the worse but had some fine weather. We have cancelled in the past and regreted it.
A day of all things motorhome and campervan. The show is held both in the main indoor arena and across the grounds. Catering, hot drinks and food options are available. Easy access to the site and free parking included. Win one of five pairs of day tickets