Reviews of Beech Estate Campsite

Campsite Search > UK > England > South East > East Sussex > Battle > Beech Estate Campsite Reviews

Beech Estate Campsite
Beech Estate
Near Netherfield
Battle
East Sussex   (Browse area)

Visit their website

This site has an availability calendar. You can check for availability here

Open: 01/04/2022 to 31/10/2022

Tent Pitches   No Caravans   No Motorhomes   No Campervans
 Glamping Units   No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches
 No Electric Hookups   No Hardstandings   No Fully Serviced Pitches   Show Full Facilities
 No Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point   No Wifi Access
 Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant or Cafe or Takeaway <1 mile
 Fishing <10 miles   Wild Swimming <5 miles   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   Cycle Hire <1 mile   Golf <1 mile   No Tennis
 Beach <10 miles   Watersports <10 miles   Boat Launch / Mooring <10 miles
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   Campfires Allowed
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  21 in total, now showing 11 to 20                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Gekko 5 reviews from this member

We stayed here as a party of 2 adults with our own tent in August.

When we arrived, we went in search of the wardens and were met by a welcoming committee. The owner greeted us and then introduced us to the 2 wardens who showed us to our pitch. The pitches are mainly in fairly secluded enclaves and the site is set within something like 2, 000 acres of woodland. It definitely feels remote and there's no phone connectivity other than in the carpark (and even then this is dependent on your provider - I got no service with EE until I got onto the main road near Battle - this is a bonus IMO).

There are pitches to suit various group combos. We had a pitch that fitted just one tent, but there were others that housed 2 or 3 tents. There are also pre-pitched yurts for hire.

Campfires are encouraged and we purchased logs on site. However, when they are delivered, they are left outside so were slightly damp the second night as it had rained. You'll need to bring kindling and firelighters, although they did have some charcoal for sale. Firepits are built in to the pitch rather than off the ground and all come with grill trivets - something that's worth mentioning here as not all do and many websites fail to be specific on whether they are provided. This means you are all set up for a BBQ.

The toilets are drop loos and were definitely a bit smelly. Otherwise, they were perfectly functional and equipped with loo roll. There's also a sink outside the toilet and you are encouraged to use their Ecover soap as it's better for the environment. Washing up sinks are provided, again with Ecover washing up liquid. There are two bucket showers, but I have to say that the novelty wore off very quickly. Firstly, they only have a small pipe feeding the site so the bucket took an age to fill. After which, it was difficult for 1 person to hoist it up. I count myself as being relatively strong, but I really struggled to keep the bucket hoisted up whilst I wound the rope round the hook. This is because of the 45 degree angle you need to hold the rope at. It was fine hoisting it, but the minute I tried to move the rope toward the hook it started to slip. The second day, it was easier as my partner and I went in together so she held the rope taut at one end whilst I hooked it on. It's probably easier if you only half fill the bucket and shower very quickly! Anyway, fear not as there is also a regular toilet and shower block (albeit with a trickle of water from the shower) if you start to lose the will to live.

There is excellent walking directly from the site, mostly through woods. You can walk to 2 pubs and the wardens will provide maps to guide you. There's also good walking in the surrounding countryside and if you have need of towns, Battle is on your doorstep and is a picturesque and historic place to visit.

If you are interested in astronomy, it's quite a dark site and we were able to make out a number of constellations. We had the added bonus of seeing the ISS pass over on the second night, swiftly followed by a shooting star.

There's no parking by your pitch, so you need to use the wheelbarrows to transport your stuff. This is fine if you can grab one of the larger barrows (which means you'll probably move your belongings in 2-3 trips), but these were at a premium on the Sunday morning when everyone was striking camp. Definitely more barrows needed! Fortunately, one man was so desperate for our barrow that he offered to cart our second load back to the car for us :-).

The site has a policy of no music and has a quiet curfew at night. This was never a problem, unlike some sites where curfews are not enforced. The wardens live on site so I doubt they'd tolerate any disruption. During the day, there were kids playing and there appeared to be some sort of treasure hunt on the Saturday morning. All the kids were well-behaved though (we find it's normally the adults who are the problem anyway, hence the need for music policies and late night curfews).

I'd definitely recommend this site and will probably return next year. It's the most expensive we've stayed at, but you are buying privacy, darkness at night and good walks from the site. It's also only 90 mins from where I live so great for a weekend trip from London. As such, it was full of London escapees and had a very 'middle-class professional' vibe to it.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Richardhall100 1 review from this member

We have stayed here for the past 3 years and always found the place magical and so peaceful. The pitch sizes are huge which really makes a massive difference when we want to escape the rat-race of London - the last thing you want is to be stuck next to another camper so close you can hear every word they say which happens a lot at other campsites. The surrounding woods are fantastic and the kids love the freedom and all the space. There are a couple of great pubs nearby as well which always helps!

There is nothing better than sitting round a roaring fire in beautiful woodland surroundings with no traffic noise - BLISS!

The facilities are everything you need and the wardens Loz and Theresa are really friendly and helpful. Literally cannot fault this place and have already booked up our 2016 camping.

Well done guys!

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Other
Reviewer: Moonkayuk 1 review from this member

A friend and I have just had a splendid weekend here 'Hammock camping' (even with the horrendous storm on Friday night) as we are fairly new to this style of camping (have been Tent camping for 10+years) we wanted to try it out a few times in a more organised area (facilities, easy access to car etc)until we knew what we were doing. Trying to find a campsite that has all this, but still gives you enough space so you feel in the wilds is no mean feat, especially as most places are now booked out.

After emailing Hugh (owner) to se eif this was allowed, he promptly replied and said this was no problem, and a warden would be on hand to point me in the right area to go. Upon arrival the first thing that struck me was the sheer size of the area you can walk around (huge lush mixed forest areas with a few bell tents and pitches scattered amongst the main area at the to of the hill, all these were spaced out, with tons of room (and trees) between each area, giving you privacy).

We were met by a super friendly Theresa(warden), who, even though it was lashing it down. Spent the time walking me around the site and pointing out possible areas suitable to put a hammock and tarp up. We decided (after much deliberation) on a great little spot in the woods just off one of the tracks, 100m from a small compost toilet, which are very effective. Pitched (hitched?) up and got dinner on the go. Next day we woke up and went for a walk to the nearest village pub, the Netherfield arms for a pint and a ploughman's(friendly landlord and landlady, even after we left a load of mud on the carpet). This walk took us through the heart of the forest a good 4 miles walk there and back. If you love a good nature walk, this is the place for you. Thousands of butterflies everywhere, buzzards, Deer, rabbits, and we even found some small muddy banks with Common lizards on them. Back at camp we were then able to wander up the hill and try out the eco friendly bucket showers. I was totally sceptical about these but thought I would give them a go, and was pleasantly surprised. Very hot water, and they last long enough to have a proper shower. There is a standard shower and flushing toilets for the less adventurous, in a block near the car park, but whilst in Rome and all that. All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable weekend, despite the weather. It felt like we were wild camping, but had back up facilities within a short walk. I will be coming back with the hammock and tarp (I recommend this style as we were totally sheltered from the storm, but could still see everything going on around us, and woke up to the sunrise in the forest) I will also be coming back with a tent and the other half. One note, Phone reception is utterly awful (non-existent) down away from the main area and even then it was intermittent. To me this was utterly brilliant, as I couldn't be contacted at all, after all that's half the fun of wild camping. This totally suits the ethos of this site 'off grid camping'. If sadly, you are unable to survive without social media etc. Then you probably should look somewhere else (but you would be a fool to do so)

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Broedrich 1 review from this member

Just got back from the most awesome stay at Beech Estate campsite! Theresa and Laurence are such welcoming and inspiring people, it definitely gave the whole campsite a very mellow feel. The grounds were stunning and the facilities comfortable and clean. Maddy told us all the way home how she's going to have a place just like that when she's big and when I asked her if she loved it there, she said 'I don't just love it, I want to live there!' So thanks so much from all of us, next time we'll stay longer and bring everyone we know. Broedrich

Date of Visit: April 2015 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Stevem26 1 review from this member

We were made very welcome by Loz and Theresa on site. We wanted good old fashion camping in a nice remote location, and we weren't disappointed. They supplied the firewood and the water, and we did the rest and the whole experience was awesome from beginning to end. On the phone during booking, Hugh was really helpful in answering our initial queries too. Great stuff - recommended!

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: LRhodes 2 reviews from this member

We enjoyed our stay. The location was stunning. The camp wardens were really friendly and helpful. Lots to explore. Really interesting site. Not having cars parked on the campsite area makes it more peaceful. Eco toilets are very clean and not smelly. Facilities basic - 'wild camping'.

The only drawback is that it's pretty expensive.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Snowfish 1 review from this member

Wow. What a great time we all had at Eco Camp - Beech Estate Campsite. We took our own tent and had no problem fitting it on despite the tent being huge. Where we had pitched was lovely and shaded in the day so the tent stayed cool. It also had parts in the sun for sitting out in. At night the fireplace was great with a useful little grill for cooking which we ended up cooking most things on after a day or two.

We stayed for 5 nights and after the first night my sisters family turned up and managed to pitch another large tent on the upper tier of our pitch. I noticed other pitches that would be suitable for multiple tents. All of the pitches are nestled in the woods so you really do feel and get close to nature. The kids loved hearing the owls and other critters at night. Whilst you can see other pitches the trees do provide privacy and a sense of space. If thinking of booking give the owner Hugh a call and I'm sure he will be more than happy to talk you through the merits of all the pitches. He's a great guy and made us all feel most welcome and ensured we were happy with everything on site.

The composting toilets are great as are the bucket showers. They are all regularly cleaned and there is hot running water if you are not feeling eco enough to heat yours on the stove. One bucket shower lasts about 4-5 minutes and would last longer if you adjusted the flow down a little.

The woods are great and my only disappointment was that I didn't explore them enough. I was there with a 2 and 4 year old and felt more than safe to let them roam about albeit within eye/earshot. Saying that however we had the site pretty much to ourselves so we only had to worry about them disturbing the wardens Lawrence and Theresa. The kids loved them both and they were great with them all week telling them about the woods and playing little games.

Our stay culminated in my friends 40th with us sat around the fire listening to the fantastic music of Chicken Shed Zeppelin and eating hog roast. Hugh, Lawrence and Theresa all made sure that the party went smoothly. Even down to taking the kids off den making allowing the adults a while to chill.

Can't wait to go back despite the 6hr drive. Thanks Eco Camp

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Rabey 1 review from this member

Just got back from 3 nights at Ecocamp Beech Estate and we had a fantastic trip, even though it rained for most of the time the site is stunning. It is in its 3rd season I think and they have just opened a block of flushing toilets which felt like a luxury :-) Each pitch is reserved, along with its own fire pit and bbq grill which we cooked over a few times. The car park is about 250m from the site so you have to transport your stuff using the giant wheelbarrows provided. That could be a drag for anyone who is used to parking next to their tent, however the massive plus side is that kids cans explore and play much more safely (also meaning more relaxing for parents) The woods go on and on. Great for exploring and getting lost. We built a den deep in the woods which the kids loved doing. You can cycle on the tracks but its too hilly for small children, but perfect adventure for older kids and fit adults. The lovely beach at Pevensey bay is less about 20mins away. Battle Abbey and 1066 Battlefield is well worth a visit. Highly recommended if you want a woodland camping experience.

Date of Visit: October 2013 Unit:  Other
Reviewer: BushcraftBertie 1 review from this member

I came here on my own for a night of October Autumn camping and then returned with my teenage sons a week later in half term for a couple of the last nights of the season. The Beech Estate is a camp site without any trailers, caravans or camper vans where you can camp legally in beautiful surroundings with tarp and hammock or bivi (or indeed a tent), and a real camp fire. Ok it's not wilderness, and there's even mains water, but it's a million miles away from the usual trailer park camp site. A lovely warden is there when you need help and leaves you alone to enjoy the tranquillity of the forest when you don't. No need for a latrine trench, the composting loos are great. The predominantly silver birch and sweet chestnut woods make a super place to unwind and leave all the stress behind, and having the roam of such a large area of beautiful and mixed woodland is a special treat not to be missed. The site is very well drained so even when it had been raining a lot it didn't turn to quagmire. I would thoroughly recommend this place to anyone, especially families and individuals wanting to enjoy a simpler way of camping, or explore simple bushcraft skills without stepping on anyone's toes or doing anything illegal.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Other
Reviewer: MALF196 1 review from this member

We were a group of 6 families with 14 month old babies looking for a relaxing weekend away from London and the Beech Estate was perfect! Most of us stayed in bell tents meaning that we were provided with everything we needed except bedding, towels, food and drink. We all had a great time and plan on returning one day. It was nice being somewhere so beautiful and peaceful, and being somewhere the babies were genuinely welcome. The on-site warden was very helpful too. My only criticism is for the showers, which had very low pressure, but it's a new site and I'm sure they'll improve the showers soon.

Previous     21 Reviews in total, now showing 11 to 20      Next

Write a Review of this Site to Win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Is Beech Estate Campsite child friendly?  YES, it accepts children  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Beech Estate Campsite?  There is a shop within 1 mile  View all facilities

Is Beech Estate Campsite dog friendly?  NO  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Battle      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in East Sussex

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally 02/07 to 03/07
An amazing fun weekend for all the family, with camping and caravanning on site from Friday to Monday - Save 15 on tickets

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2022