Reviews of Garth Farm

LL24 0ES
Tel: 01690 720212
Check Digital TV coverage    See Weather Forecast

Tent Pitches   No Caravans   Motorhome Pitches   No Glamping Units
 No Electric Hookups   No Hardstandings   No Fully Serviced Pitches   Show Full Facilities
 Toilet Facilities   Hot Showers   No Washing Up Area   No Bathroom
 No Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 Shop <5 miles   Bar <5 miles   Restaurant <5 miles   No Wifi Access
 No Fishing   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   No Dog Walk

Reviews:  26 in total, now showing 11 to 20                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: AirbedMalfunction 1 review from this member

This campsite is in a wonderful location. It overlooks a lake and has great views of the mountains in all directions. The site itself is uneven but with enough level places to camp. There are four showers and 4/5 toilets and sinks, all modern. Showers are spacious and there are sinks in the toilet cubicles, which themselves are spacious. You are allowed to pick your own spot to camp from an array of large fields and the sheep will join you also, which is great! It seemed like a good 'old style', no frills, but comfortable campsite. No faffing, just field/s, great views, and a more than adequate cleaning and washing up area to get a hot shower and clean up your pot after a hot meal enjoyed at the end of a good days walking. I would have left a full 10 star review if it had just been this.

I chose this campsite because it stated it didn't allow large groups and had a 'strict' no noise after 10pm policy, so I assumed it would be a nice quite campsite. But sadly I left earlier than I would have liked because despite the claims that were made, during my 2 night stay they had 3 separate school groups, most of which were noisy, and screamed until well past 10pm and kept on until the early hours, despite being asked by me and others to keep the noise down. It was bedlam and no one in charge seemed bothered.

Whilst I saw someone with a bottle of bleach in the shower block, not once during my stay there did the toilets, showers or sinks actually seemed to be cleaned. There were all kinds of stains that never got touched the 3 days I was there. The toilets smelled bad. The site cleaning facilities are not set up for such large groups.

I wanted to like this site, it's in such a lovely location. But they clearly stated they do not take large groups. It's safe to assume that when a campsite states no large groups and no noise after 10pm, that people like me who are looking for a quite holiday, that means no 'hen' or 'buck' parties, and certainly no groups of teenagers running around screaming and swearing until early hours.

I had more nights paid for, I left. I strongly suggest they take the 'no groups' sign down.

I really dislike leaving bad reviews, and there are lots of positives to staying here. But I was looking for something specific they claimed to provide and the gave the very opposite, and I wouldn't want anyone elses holiday to be ruined. The campsite part of my holiday was stressful and not a pleasant experience at all. Whilst I loved staying in the area and exploring the land, I disliked arriving back at the campsite. If you are not bothered by peace and quite or lack of, and less than clean toilets and showers, then this is a great site and I would recommend. But it's not for me.

Toilet, shower and washing up facilities IF clean - would of been a 10/10 as they are high quality and modern and more than adequate. Sadly, 5/5 due to being dirty for the 3 days I was there.

Value for money IF they provided the 'no groups' site they promised would be 10/10. Regrettably, 5/5. I would never have gone if I knew it was going to be like it was.

Overall 5/5.

Date of Visit: April 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Ryanward 1 review from this member

This site is located in a brilliant location for activities in Snowdonia. This was my third trip back there, so the owners are doing something right !

The site is right in the middle of a valley, so pretty exposed to weather - but with an amazing view - you can't beat waking up to a beautiful sunrise over the lake.

The main camping field is on a slope, so only ideal for small tents, and as others have said, also comes with sheep as neighbours ! There is some more flat-ish space and some limited hard standing next to toilet block for camper vans and larger tents.

Camping @ 5 a night, fires and dogs allowed, what more could you want.

Contrary to what others have said, every time I've been there, the toilet facilities have been spotless - have seen the owners check and clean multiple times a day - they must just have shared with some messy groups.

The site also has a bunkbarn for 10/12 people that I've stayed in too, which I understand is pretty popular, so needs booking well in advance. The facilities are 'basic' - a very rustic lounge/kitchen/diner, and mattresses on the floor upstairs - but with a log burner and a brand-new toilet/shower room, at 10 a night per person, you can't find better value !

If there was a pub close it would get 10/10 as a site (OK, Capel Curig is only 3 miles away)

Reviewer: John and Jessie 1 review from this member

We were upset that the campsite we planned to stay in was shut and randomly passed what we thought was someone's garden with tents in on our way to Caernarfon. I screeched out of the passenger window 'oh wow those people are camping in their garden, cool!'. On getting closer to this magnificent spot, we realised this was actually a beautiful campsite within view of Snowdon and a lovely lake. We missed the turning the first time we went past and made a handbrake turn (not really), we turned at an appropriate place to go back and find the turning.

We rolled over the bridge and up to the farm where a friendly farmer met us and showed us the facilities and said we were free to camp wherever we wanted on the site. We spent 3 wonderful days/nights enjoying the dramatic views across the lake and over towards Snowdon and surrounding peaks. It was lovely to be visited by sheep who roam the site freely and I'm sure would make any child's holiday complete.

There were no designated pitches which added to the sense of adventure and there were plenty of level spaces and a dry stone wall which provided shelter (though it wasn't actually very windy when we stayed). There were also fire grates which you could borrow and wood you could buy from the farmer, though we stuck with our disposable barbie).

The showers were always clean and warm. They were also inexpensive at 1 for a shower token (easily enough for two quick showerers to share). The toilets were always attended to fastidiously and were clean and always had loo roll. As a working sheep farm, the farmer always had his loyal pups by his side, touchingly including an aged old girl.

We visited Caernarfon Castle, Beaumaris on Anglesey, Conwy, Bangor (for the ASDA) and also walked around the lake below the campsite.

Truly, the breathtaking views alone would be worth staying for. We are usually busy holidayers but we were happy to spend long, lazy mornings reading, drinking tea and drinking in the view, and evenings lingering over long bbqs with a few ales. We will definitely be returning as this was one of the best, most peaceful and relaxed camping breaks we've had.

An added bonus is the excellent value for money (5 a night each), and a designated outside washing up sink).

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Mattybmx 1 review from this member

Very good campsite, extremely friendly owner who showed us round all the facilities and the bunkhouses etc. Shower/toilet block very clean and modern. Fires allowed which is why we stayed here. Will definitely be using this camp site a lot throughout this year! Thanks a lot!

Just be careful driving across the fields because there are some rather large rocks/boulders!

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Lauc88 1 review from this member

Beautiful location with fantastic views over the lake and up to Snowdon. Although the site is quite hilly, there is plenty of space to choose from.

The farmer was very friendly and helpful without being intrusive and gave us a lot of information about the surrounding area.

Although the site is basic (you're sharing with the sheep!), the toilet block is clean and warm with showers in excellent condition.

Overall very impressed with the value for money and will definitely be returning when the weather gets warmer.

Date of Visit: February 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Smholiday 1 review from this member

Searching for an out of the way place for peace and quiet and found it on this site, great location, pleasantly surprised with the shower and toilet block. Basic site but great for just getting out there and discovering, you can walk in any direction and could be anywhere in the world. We visited on a particularly windy night but tucked in behind a wall and enjoyed the views day and night. Owner not intrusive paid after we had set up and was grateful of the logs for sale and the small fire pots that were supplied. Plenty going on around the area to visit and central to use as a cheep base for walking and exploring. No electric hook ups or play grounds but plenty of space to to make your own entertainment.

Reviewer: Happyfive 8 reviews from this member

Fantastic location, views to Snowdon and other mountains and down to the lakes. We stayed for one night en route from Ireland back to London and would recommend it for all outdoor enthusiasts as you are right in the mountains on a hill farm. It is the closest to camping wild while actually on a campsite that you will get!

Good value at 5 per adult and 3 per child, clean toilets and showers available and fire wood sold by the farmer for the fire baskets to use if you so wish.

The site is fairly uneven, sloping steeply in places and pretty breezy with wind blowing down the valley but the dry stone wall offers shelter for tents. You share the site with the farm's sheep who make regular walks up and down the hill, to the amusement of the children! Good cafe in Capel Curig, the Pinnacle Cafe, for daytime food but shuts at 6pm. Worth staying here for the views alone when you first peak out of your tent in the morning.

Reviewer: Debz69xx 2 reviews from this member

My 13 year old son and I stopped for 2 nights here, whilst on a cycle and mountain walking trip. It was windy on arrival, so we put our tent up behind a tall dry stone wall. The toilet block is clean and after a day of cycling and climbing Snowdon, the steaming shower felt great. The farmer was very welcoming. We dined in one of the pubs in Capel Curig. There is a shop there but it closes at about 1800. The view looking down to the lakes and on to the mountains is picture postcard. I would stay here again

Reviewer: Discoll 1 review from this member

We stayed at this site over a glorious weekend as it was close to Snowdon and had the option of catching the Sherpa bus which passed by the campsite. As previous reviews state, the campsite is sloping in a variety of directions and you do have to pick your spot carefully. Views over the lakes and hills are magnificent. The toilet block is new but with only 4 showers and 4 toilets (and the hand basins are in the toilet cubicles), be prepared to queue at busy times. We probably will not return to the site, as there are 4 of us in the family (2 adults, 2 children over 10 years)we stayed in a small Vango Force 10. Because of the age of the children we were all charged the same 5 per person per night. In addition the shower tokens costs 1 for 5 minutes. So for our family the cost was 24 for one night. The showers were cold as the hot water must run off a tank had been used up previously. Also the Sherpa bus was already full when it came passed the site, so it did not stop. Great site for singles and couples but expensive for families.

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Handy12 1 review from this member

This campsite is located on a working sheep farm a mile or so from Capel Curig. The rural location ensures a view from the tent that is rugged, mountainous and captivating. The site is a hilly field that has various flat levels where you can pitch.

The site is perfectly located for climbing Snowdon as you can catch the Sherpa bus at the end of the farm track by waving it down on its route from Capel Curig to Pen-Y-Pass; thereby avoiding the trouble of finding a car parking space at the bottom of Snowdon. This costs 1 each way so is also a money saver on the parking.

Our dog was welcome on the site, they would need to be on a lead due to sheep within the field. This site is a perfect location for sight seeing and walking in this area, I would definitely recommend it.

Previous     26 Reviews in total, now showing 11 to 20      Next

Other Sites Near Betws Y Coed      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Conwy

UKCS Meet Manchester Caravan & Motorhome Show 16/01 to 19/01, Event City
Over 200 exhibitors with all the new 2020 models and biggest ever selection of accessories. Plus win tickets! ...more