Visitor Reviews - Abbey Farm Caravan Park

Campsite Search > UK > Wales > Denbighshire > Llangollen > Abbey Farm Caravan Park Reviews

Abbey Farm Caravan Park

Toilet Facilities   Hot Showers   No Washing Up Area   No Bathroom
 Shop On Site   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   No Wifi Access
 Fishing 5 miles   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   No Dog Walk

Reviews:  118 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12

Date of Visit: September 2017 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Glosbill 17 reviews from this member

Interesting site, great location. Really welcoming and helpful staff. Off season best I would think. Facilities were good and the bistro was full when we walked passed on a stroll before bedtime. Convenient for Llangollen with some level pitches. Abbey is a unique centre point.

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Louiseandpete 3 reviews from this member

We stayed for 3 nights over bank holiday. There was a lot of noise from music kids dogs rec into the wee small hours but not enough to stop me sleeping. Toilets on site are disgusting. Went to eat at the bistro. Watery veg and one choice for vegetarians. Not a good meal. Nice location but not worth money charged. We won't be returning in a hurry.

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: MagsLand1 1 review from this member

Spent a long weekend here and in general enjoyed it very much. The bar/bistro was very handy (especially for breakfast) and the site is very pretty. The showers however were pretty grotty and a let down, if they improve them it would be a very terrific site

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Davidalderson 3 reviews from this member

Overnight stop on EHU, en route to Anglesey.

Lovely site, wrapped around a ruined Abbey just to the north of Llangollen.

It was half-term, so lots of kids. Having a good time!

A bit rough-and-ready, toilet blocks 'tired' but useable.

Didn't use the cafe so can't comment except to say it was available.

Would we go again. Yes, if only for it's convenient position in N Wales on the A5. And next time we'll stay longer to enjoy the town and the train!

Date of Visit: March 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Alithom1 1 review from this member

My family have been coming here for years. The scenery and the Abbey are beautiful. Walking into Llangollen via the canal is so relaxing. The village itself is brilliant and a lot of the pubs and shops are pet friendly. The farm has its own restaurant, the menu is extensive and will have something for everyone. It is very warm and welcoming, pets are also allowed in here. The site do have rules for noise and fire, rightly so as this is predominately a family site. Dogs have to be on a lead at all times as this is a working farm. The only let down and in my opinion is a massive let down are the toilet and shower facilities. Everything is so dated and issues with individual sinks, toilets and showers over time have never been addressed. Even the washing up sinks have never had plugs despite numerous requests. This year the electric problems were worse than ever. The hook ups and the pods were constantly tripping out, These also need addressing. We ended up getting our electric charges refunded. I know this all sounds very negative but is not ment to be. The facilities need a complete overhaul and the electrics need updating. Will we go again?? Hell yes.

Reviewer: Pfrench74 1 review from this member

Just got back there after the bank holiday weekend - been going for about 10 years now and finally decided to leave a review. I've seen this place grow over the many years I've been going and this weekend was perhaps the busiest I have ever seen it.

This is a campsite which seems to attract a crowd with the 'sit round the campsite' culture (compared to a 'walkers' campsite). And generally consisted of larger groups. ****Main point I want to say here is that the guy who goes round and monitors the site of a night down an AMAZING job this weekend considering the numbers and noise of a night was minimal considering the crowds. I was in bed around 11. 3-12. 00 and general ambience by that time was sound enough to sleep in - bit of music you could hear but nothing thumping out****

As I say, I've been going for years and see the growth of it with the bistro and bar etc. The general location is brilliant, with many accessible walks in the surrounding hills, and a short walk to the town and its ammenities.

Kids play area is pretty weak (a nice play area would be a real bonus considering the amount of families that go), but there is the stream there which keeps them entertained as well. I will add that it looks like the stream is starting to take some abuse now and looks to be drying up, seeingly as a result of the amount of rocks and bricks thrown in and possibly limiting flow. Definitely not as picturesque as it has been in the past.

Toilet blocks are basic. Showers are basic (and free) - not much room to get changed in.

Has a bistro on site - not eaten in there, but seems to market itself as a bistro and not pubgrub. Seems quite expensive for a campsite bistro (looks like it would be around 20-25 a head for a couple of courses and a few drinks). They have added takeaway menu now.

Reviewer: Nicnacs 1 review from this member

Fabulous location and the facilities are good, however, I had to cut my trip short due to food poisoning which I presume I got from the tea rooms :(

The staff are friendly and very helpful and. I liked the fact that you pick your own spot to pitch your tent. The shower and toilets facilities could do with being updated but overall I was happy with the facilities.

Reviewer: MissElaineous 37 reviews from this member

Beautiful location. For that I don't care about the state of the toilets, they are adequate. It is a large site with a lot of people 'abusing' the facilities so I guess it's difficult for the staff to keep on top of things. A great site for a party, but not for a quiet family weekend. There are rules re no noise after 11pm, and no noise likely to disturb other campers, but they are not enforced. We were kept awake by two separate groups on both Friday and Saturday nights, annoyed by someone's poor taste in music on the car radio, full blast and with car door open, then woken very early one morning by someone on the next pitch doing car maintenance with a hammer! On a plus note, the food in the bistro is amazing and the staff in there are friendly and helpful. Maybe this site will be quieter midweek? I hope so as the location is fantastic, and the scenery beautiful. I would like to go back to the area for another look round. We were there so I could visit the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, somewhere I have been wanting to go for ages. It was well worth the visit. We took the boat ride over it, walked over it and explored the valley under it. Amazing attraction. Llangollen is also a nice place to visit, with a steam railway and lots of walks all around.

Just want to mention the Bistro again, one of the best meals out we've ever had. Four of us all had something different and all were excellent and we enjoyed the Welsh ales and ciders. I probably wouldn't use this site again, just in case there are noisy groups camping again, though if it was the only site with availability, and I could go mid-week or low season, I may give it another try because I definitely want to visit Llangollen and the surrounding area again. Rather expensive given the state of the facilities at 18 a night without electricity, you pay extra for a car.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Donna Michelle 12 reviews from this member

Couple travelling in a touring caravan with a dog.

Took a while to level the caravan due to the uneven pitch and also trying to avoid the huge muddy holes in the grass. The toilet block and showers are disgusting and smelly, the shower curtains are mouldy and there is a lot of grime around the bottom of the cubicle posts. It says that they are cleaned daily but I very much doubt it.

The scenery around the site is beautiful, gorgeous colours on the surrounding hills and being pitched up in front of Valle Crucis Abbey is spectacular but the upkeep of the site itself spoils this beautiful place, big red metal skips meters away from your pitch, bits of rubbish, unwanted BBQ's and general waste are scattered around this site and the river running through the site has been used as a dumping ground. A lot of TLC would rectify this.

A massive plus for this site is the tearooms, bit pricey but good sized portions and the food is amazing. Enjoyed both a lunch lite bite and an evening meal. Good friendly service and a cosy place to relax and have a couple of beers at the end of the day and dogs are welcome too. I would definitely go back and visit the tearooms but find somewhere else to pitch my van.

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Lexie10 15 reviews from this member

This site is in an absolutely beautiful location with fabulous views all around. The ruins of the abbey make the site even more picturesque and are interesting to look around for a reasonable entrance fee.

Lovely walks from the site with a relaxing towpath walk into Llangollen taking about half an hour - once we found the way off the site! Shame about the derelict(?) caravan and rubbish we had to pass on route, but don't know if it was anything to do with the actual site.

The on-site bistro and bar is delightfully quirky and the menu looked really interesting, although we didn't eat there. The beer was very good though!

When we arrived for a three night stay, our pitch overlooked a skip overflowing with rubbish and a few makeshift 'recycling' containers which were also overflowing with all sorts of rubbish. What a blot on the landscape spoiling our first impression! They were all emptied on the second day of our stay though. Maybe the skip could be located more discreetly.

Unfortunately the shower/toilet block is in a poor state and is in urgent need of updating. The bigger problem, however, is the lack of a proper clean. Although we saw the man in a pickup truck go in to the block each day, the facilities never seemed any cleaner. I noticed a wodge of toilet paper on the floor in one of the cubicles on the day of our arrival. It was still there three days later, when we left. There was often a puddle on the floor in the ladies from an overflowing shower.

Water was hot though and soap and loo roll were always available.

The poor shower/toilet facilities would put me off a return visit and would prevent me from recommending this site.

I very much agree with the comment made last year - this site is a gem, but desperately needs a polish! It doesn't seem that the owners have taken any notice of similar comments made previously, which is a great shame.

Previous     118 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Denbighshire

Win a 299 Clarke IG1200B Suitcase Generator! Win an Outwell Electric Barbecue Package worth over 205

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 6 to 7th July, Derbyshire