Visitor Reviews - Hollands Wood Camping In The Forest Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South East > New Forest & Hampshire > Site Reviews

Hollands Wood Camping In The Forest Site
Tel: 024 7642 3008  or  01590 622967

Special Offer available to UKCampsite.co.uk visitors - see here

Open: 22nd March - 1st October

Add this Site to your Virtual BrochureSave to Virtual Brochure

No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   Wifi Access
 Fishing   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <1 mile   Cycle Hire   Golf   Tennis
 Beach <10 miles   Watersports   Boat Launch / Mooring
 Waterside Location   Dog Walk   Public Transport

Reviews:  238 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24

Date of Visit: June 2018 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Rhughes666 1 review from this member

It was a last minute decision to use this site, phoned up to check whether space was available (it was 4pm and I was not expecting to be there until 6pm ) and was assured it wouldn't be a problem. Arrived, paid, given some good advice on where to pitch etc So a good start to my short break

There are no marked pitches, just need to be 6 meters away from anyone else. There's plenty of space to pitch up and you can go pretty where you like. There's no segregation of units so tents/motorhomes/caravans are all mixed together. There are a few tent only areas where there are more trees. I'm quite a basic camper - it's just me, my small one person tent and a windbreak area for my table/chair etc so the lack of electric hook-up didn't concern me. There is a bit of road noise from the main road running nearby but I suspect if you were in a group or family you would not notice it during the daytime although it may be an issue at night if you're noise sensitive. I found it bearable with earplugs in at night and certainly did not prevent me sleeping.

There's an abundance of marked water taps, bins, fire points, chemical waste points etc so it's easy to do your camping chores.

There are 3 toilet/shower blocks each with a dishwashing area and one of them has washing machine facilities. None of them seemed particularly busy although I was there mid-week during term-time.

Toiler/shower facilities are a vast improvement on the ones encountered on my various climbing/walking/festival trips around the UK over the last 25 years. Using the gents without retching from the smell is a new experience! Anyway enough of the toilet talk suffice to say they're inspected/cleaned regularly. Showers were free and hot when I used them and again pretty clean so a big thumbs up from me.

Site is located a 10-15 minute walk from Brockenhurst which has a couple of small supermarkets, greengrocers etc so its adequate for most shopping needs although the campsite does stock milk if you need it which is handy. I believe Lyndhurst has a few more facilities although Southampton, Christchurch, Bournemouth and Ringwood are all within 20 miles (just!) so within travelling distance for a big food shop.

So you've pitched up, bought some food and used the facilities (I thought I said no more toilet talk) it's now time to just chill out watching the wildlife. No not the other campsite users but the horse/ cows/ ponies/ tree-rats (squirrels), various birds etc - they're pretty much left to get on with it and it's not unusual to have horses randomly 'visting' on the scrounge for food hence the various warnings about not leaving food in tents etc because they will sniff it out.

There's the obvious New Forest and area attractions around but to be honest I just found walking out the end of the campsite and disappearing into the adjoining forest for a few different walks the best way to experience what this place has to offer.

Definitely worth popping back sometime !

Date of Visit: July 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Jackwinguk 9 reviews from this member

Hollands Wood is a beautiful site, not regimented. You can pitch as you like as long as you follow the spacing rules. Toilets and showers are cleaned regularly. The freedom of the animals means you must be aware of leaving food/rubbish around, these clever guys can open a zip without a problem if they smell something interesting, otherwise they are no problem. Been using this site for 25+ years and never get bored of it. Keep up the good work.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Lianne1978 8 reviews from this member

We have visited Hollands Wood in Brockenhurst for the past 3 summers a family (either the last week in July or the first week of August)The only reason we are not going this year is due to a family holiday aboard with the extended family and a wedding abroad using up all our holiday allowance in work!

Its about a 5/6 hour drive from home so a bit too far for a weekend away unfortunately. We will be back next summer however.

The site is very well placed within walking distance to Brokenhurst, a lovely little village with a shops, supermarkets and coffee shops, most of the pretty child friendly. There is a really great fish and chip shop which we have eaten from each time we have visited.

There are no electric hook up (same of pretty much all of the camping in the forest sites) but the toilet and shower blocks are plenty for a large site and are kept immaculately clean by a friendly team of staff. Even in peak weeks of July and August, the site has never felt over crowded and we never waited long to use the shower etc. There is a also a launderette on site with washer, dryers and an iron all coin operated (dryers came in handy when we left all our towels out to try on the windbreaker but they got caught in an unexpected heavy downpour)

The staff on the reception are very friendly and knowledgeable about the local area, we have tried to visit different places each time we have been (thanks to advice form the team at the site). They also run wildlife walks and nature at dusk walks from the campsite(which by 7 year old loved). We also built a den in the forest which was pretty cool if you are 7 (or 37!) years old)

There is direct access to woodland and walking and a huge 'sports field' at the back of the site - there were always games of foot ball, cricket and kite flying going on.

The site also seems pretty popular with European campers and we met people from several European countries on their travels.

We have visited other camping in the forest site and this is to the usual great standard as you would expect. The site is great for kids, although the only negative I would say is there is no playground - although plenty of space to play

Also it is only 30 mins drive from Paultons Parks/Peppa Pig World which both my kids loved and was a great day out (take a picic or the foods options there are pretty inexpensive also). There are plenty of other places to visit nearby the village of Beaulieu, Lymington, Exbury gardens and Lepe country park on the coast are all within a short drive.

My one tip would be not to pitch too close to the main road that runs alongside the camp site - the traffic noise early morning can be annoying. Other than that a fab place for a family camping trip

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Camping Mama 1 review from this member

I love this campsite, I have stayed here many times over the years but this was my first visit with my young children. Fortunately they loved it too.

It's a really beautiful site, nestled amongst the deciduous forest trees and overlooking a wide open lawn where the forest ponies graze. We were lucky to stay on the hottest weekend of the year so far and it felt like being abroad. It was busy, but not over crowded, so we able to find a good spot near some big logs for the kids to climb on and with a good view of the lawn. This meant the kids could run free and we were able to keep a watchful eye on them from the comfort of our van.

The staff at reception were super-friendly and gave us a very comprehensive arrival brief. The toilets and showers were clean and tidy, although the boiler had packed up on the far toilet block. Luckily it did not cause us any problems as there were enough showers to go around.

Brockenhurst is a 15 min amble with the kids for stores/bikes/train/pubs and we found a lovely ice cream parlour. Balmer Lawn is just outside the campsite and is a great place for picnics and and a splash in the river. You can park up the car for the weekend and walk or bike to all the things you need.

The only downside to the site is the proximity of the main road. Although you can't see it, you can hear it (chose a site on the lawn side). On Saturday night I curled up in the campervan to enjoy the sounds of the forest, only to hear the noise of the cars, several trains and a Southampton-bound plane roar overhead. However, all was forgiven when I awoke on Sunday morning to the most beautiful dawn chorus and a view of the ponies grazing in the morning sunshine. Just as New Forest camping should be. And no mud in sight!

Hollands Wood is one of those rare places that you can enjoy rural forest camping with the luxury of amenities close by. The kids loved it and it still remains one of my favourite camping spots.

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jibbajabba649 7 reviews from this member

I used Hollands wood campsite as a base for our D of E group on friday the 3rd of July.

It was a mixed bag with staff, some were nice and polite on the gate then not when met through the campsite, some were nice and polite throughout.

The campsite was very busy, but they have a 6m rule between tents which should ensure a bit of peace.

However, as a D of E group, using 10 tents, that had pre-booked, we were told that there was no space for us in the 'usual' pitches, so we were put into the 'no camping' area called the 'toilet compound'

At several points other members of the campsite approached us and either stated we shouldn't be there or told us to move, where-upon we had to, politely, correct them!

We attempted to adhere to the 6m rule and were asked to move a couple of tents which we did, however, it was very easy to see that around us, 'non-d of e' users hadn't adhered to the rule, but also hadn't been asked to move!

As the leader of the group I gave a 'safety' brief to the group including noise, disruption but also feeding the animals that are free to roam around the new forest, but on the saturday morning some horses came into the 'toilet compound' whilst the students were cooking and eating their breakfasts and when attempting to move the horses away, were given a stern talking to by a member of staff for petting them and encouraging them into the area.

It felt as though we were caged animals!

Date of Visit: April 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Stevehagger 10 reviews from this member

The site is set in the forest itself amongst the trees which is very nice. The tracks are loose stone tracks which the kids could ride bikes on without any fast traffic. Brockenhurst is a short walk or drive away and has shops and pubs. There are nearby forest tracks for bike rides and walks. It's a nice site. The toilets and showers were clean but the showers are very small with no benches so getting the kids changed was difficult. The site does have a lot of rules which they tell you as soon as you arrive. And they do seem to insist that campervans can only have a proper driveway awning instead of a small tent for storage this is not the case at other sites. The site is also a bit pricey.

We had a really good time and despite those minor thing I would recommend the site.

Date of Visit: April 2015 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Malteaser red 12 reviews from this member

We stayed for the Easter weekend. Drove into the site where we were greated at the gate. The lady took about 15 main telling the rules of all the things we are not allowed to do. It wasn't really a great welcome. We had arrived about an hour early so were made to pay and extra 3. Most other campsites usually just allow you to go ahead and enter, but this rule was very strict, and although its only 3, the actual booking fees are quite high for this campsite, so it did annoy me a little.

I'm honestly not one to usually moan, but there are so many rules which I did follow and adhere to. But I did see other campers breaking them and the campsite staff don't seem to enforce them.

The showers and toilets were clean. Although half of the shower and toilet blocks were closed, even though we were camping in high season over a bank holiday.

The campsite is a nice one with seclusion amongst the trees and bike or walking tracks just leading off with a nice large field for ball games etc.

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Smg1 6 reviews from this member

Good clean site, great showers, big site but due to the layout does not feel big, staff really helpful and friendly and very close to village.

In was after the school Holidays so some of the showers did need some maintenance work, it was just soap dishes missing that type of thing.

As the pitches are in between the tress rather that a big field you do feel as you are really in the forest.

Reviewer: Scorpion2168 1 review from this member

We have been here a few times now and will be going back twice next year. I love not having uniformed pitches and being able to sit and watch the wildlife around, this year I got up to the toilet at 3am and saw deer going through the park it was amazing, the staff have to be amongst the most friendliest I have come across in my 15yrs of camping. The only down side is the road noise but the site makes up for it, and I did find there was a lot more people here this year and felt everyone was on top of each other which we hadn't felt before. I have children from late teens, autistic and toddlers who come with us at different times and they all enjoy it here, and we have made friends with other campers who come back every year as well. I would recommend this site to anyone who loves the wildlife and the great outdoors young or old.

Reviewer: Donna44 4 reviews from this member

The magical thing about this campsite is it's location.

Camping wherever you find a nice spot makes such a nice change from row upon row of pre-allocated pitches.

The upside of Hollands wood is that you can cycle or walk straight into the newforest paths and cycleways without having to drive there first and the marked out paths make great map reading practice for the kids. Also the animals wandering about make it special.

The downside of Hollands wood is the road noise. However, this is masked slightly by the delightful sound of the birds tweeting above. I suppose the close proximity to Brockenhurst and Lyndhurst means the road has to go somewhere and it is bearable for that reason.

Top tip: You can burn bbq fuel at your tent then turn it into a fire by using 'eco logs'. The site shop sells them for 3. 50 but does run out of them. If you head into Brockenhurs and head left and the 'high st' junction (fish and chip shop on your left as soon as you turn), up on the right there's an Aladdin's cave of a shop called 'Streets' where they sell the same eco logs for 2. 50 and have plenty of bar-b-que stuff as well as other hardware items.

I think Hollands wood staff are terrific, very security minded so you feel like all your worldly camping goods are safe. They're also very high visablity (in a good way, especially for those with lost offspring etc) and were helpful and polite at all times.

If you want a peaceful camping experience, don't camp next to the tent only area near to the middle toilets/shower block as the area seems to attract larger groups of tented families who may have rather a lot of cars and subsequent noise.

It's not the most sociable site if you fancy making new chums on holiday as people tend to keep themselves to themselves or simply socialise within their groups but that is not a good enough reason to give the campsite a black mark.

Will return to Hollands wood at next opportunity.

Previous     238 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Hampshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Atera STRADA DL 2 Tilting Bike Carrier worth 457.50 Win a 7 night holiday at Lee Valley Campsite, near London!

UKCS Meet Tribfest Festival 16th to 19th August, E Yorks
World's biggest tribute band festival. Family friendly. Discounted tickets and a chance to win some ...more