Visitor Reviews - The Brickyard

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > East Anglia > Norfolk > Site Reviews

The Brickyard

Fishing <1 mile   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   Cycle Hire <5 miles   Golf   Tennis <5 miles
 Beach <1 mile   Watersports <1 mile   Boat Launch / Mooring <1 mile
 Waterside Location   Dog Walk   Public Transport <5 miles

Reviews:  13 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Write your own Review wo win a £150 Amazon Voucher!!

Date of Visit: June 2018 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Lesleyaal 1 review from this member

We had a lovely spacious pitch with a great fire pit. Drop loo was handily nearby. The first evening we saw a lot of birds and thoroughly enjoyed the peace and quiet. The next two nights (Friday and Saturday) a very large group arrived on the large pitch next to us. They were very noisy, playing music and revving their engines. It didnít spoil our stay but itís worth noting that the facility to accommodate very large groups means that the site can be very noisy - not peace and quiet, as advertised.

Date of Visit: May 2018 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Naich 16 reviews from this member

An absolutely beautiful site, with all the pitches secluded and nestled amongst the trees. The pitches are well spaced so you don't get any disturbances from your neighbours and although there is no play area, there is plenty for the kids to explore. There is a communal barn and pizza oven, which is lit 24/7 to cook pizza, potatoes etc. It also houses a freezer for ice packs. There are plenty of water stand pipes around the site.

Obviously nowhere is perfect, but this site has one major problem: the toilets. There are two toilets and only one of them is flushing. I've used long drop toilets before on other sites and they didn't stink like this one. When the flushing toilet was out of order for 24 hours and the whole site had to use the long drop, it wasn't pleasant. Both toilets also had large knot holes which made some people feel uncomfortable, and no toilet paper was provided.

Although he seemed pleasant at first, the owner was a bit off-hand with us on several occasions. Once, I think he was grumpy because someone put out his pizza oven fire, but there was no need to take it out on us.

Washing up facilities are always useful on sites, but this one doesn't have any. Also bring plenty of Deet because there are mozzies galore.

I actually really liked this site, but I have a very thick skin and very little sense of smell. For other people in my party, the issues with the toilets and the owner mean we that sadly, won't be coming back again.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Hairless 1 review from this member

Haven't been camping in years (not since kids) but decided last minute to give it a go. My older two boys wanted a campfire so that criteria, the weather forecast and the fact it was rather last minute led me to discover this campsite.

Despite the lack of facilities I loved the look of the site and the fact that each pitch was secluded so we enquired about spaces and to our delight they had spaces so off we went.

I wasn't disappointed. The site is exactly as the pictures show. The friendly owner (Tim) met us near their house and walked down to the pitches with my husband with me following slowly in the car. Tim pointed out the various aspects of the site then we stopped and Tim pointed out several pitches we could choose from. To our unexpected delight a flushing toilet and a hot shower had recently been installed so we didn't have to use the compost loo or the 'brickyard shower' which I have to say I was very grateful for.

We chose what seemed to be the largest pitch as we had a big tent and a big car. Unfortunately it did also seem to be on a route to the shower and toilet and while most people did respect our privacy and went down a slightly different way there were a few people who just walked straight through although it was to the side of our pitch. All pitches have a firepit and we bought some firewood from Tim (be warned though they included very large pieces of wood so you either need something to chop them up a bit or smaller pieces to burn). Tim had told us to supplement the fire with twigs and things we could collect around the site but we couldn't find much and we ended up buying some kindling wood from a shop in a nearby village.

When we arrived we could see only one other car in a neighbouring pitch but couldn't see their tent from our pitch and although a few more cars turned up the most we could see from our pitch were a couple of cars parked up. The first night was lovely and peaceful and we kept having to tell the kids to keep it down as we felt they were disturbing other people. Unfortunately the next night was a friday and a change in people in nearby pitches resulted in lots more children around who were running round the site playing hide and seek and not caring about going onto other peoples pitches, however when darkness fell they went back to their own pitches and were quiet so they didn't disturb us too much. The second night was a clear night so we got a great view of the night sky (take your binoculars or small telescope if you are a bit of a star gazer).

As I said a flushing loo and hot shower had recently been installed and the toilet was a lovely toilet and wouldn't have looked out of place in any house. It is in a little wooden hut as is the shower so although you get hot water you are still quite exposed to the elements. The water for the shower was lovely and warm and the pebbled fl oor was a lovely feature.

I was worried about accessing the site but the track is not too bumpy or narrow and is not very long so even I could cope with it.

There is no play area but Tim said the kids were welcome to explore the site as long as they were careful to stay within the boundaries of his land but as we only really were around first thing in the morning and last thing at night we didn't really get chance to explore.

The guide for the review says to say about nearby facilities. Mmm. To get to the site my husband took me through Burnham Market in the middle of the afternoon. While a pretty village it was also very popular so their were lots of parked cars on the roads making it very tricky to drive through. I can however recommend the chip shop (be prepared for a wait though) and the chinese next to the chip shop. On the first night we tried to go to Wells in the early evening looking for a chip shop but couldn't find anywhere to park. There is a very large car park on the edge of the village but annoyingly it closes at 7 so as we arrived after 6 it wasn't worth the money. The second day we decided to go to Sherringham. At all costs avoid the A149! It goes through a couple of villages where the road is so narrow you can barely get two cars passing and then they allow cars to park on the road as well meaning we were having to wait several minutes each time for cars coming the other way. If there weren't parked cars then there were no pavements meaning there were people having to walk on the road which again meant you had to wait for cars coming through the other way. On the way back we took the A148 to Fakenham and then got back to the site from there, a much better way. We tried to find a pub the second night to have a birthday meal but were disappointed by the lack of pubs meaning the ones were found were all full so we ended up at the aforesaid chinese.

Overall the site was lovely and I would go again like a shot but the roads around Norfolk have put me off going back again but I think I have been spoilt and will have a hard time finding another site as lovely and peaceful as this.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Mrs C R Heron 1 review from this member

I stayed at The Brickyard from 14th to 20th August.

I was met by Tim, the friendly owner and given a choice of sites to accommodate our party of large RV, tent and campervan.

Each pitch was spacious yet private and close enough to all conveniences. We loved the electric shower with its wide housing warm water and beatiful views. It felt truly outdoors. We were intrigued by the bucket shower, I shall try it next time.

The water points were easily accessible.

The wild pitch borders held plenty of wildlife, including beautiful butterflies and moths. On our first day I collected enough brambles to cook with. Every pitch had a firepit. Logs were £10 a bag, very good quality dry wood delivered by Tim to you pitch.

The site is below the flight path of many geese and ducks at dawn and dusk, so take your camera.

The site itself is unusual and historical with crumbling ruins used in innovative ways as well as some just waiting to discovered. There is a barn with information points, armchairs and books for bad weather. There is also a double buggy for parents to borrow for small children. Tim is open to suggestions for ways to use the barn. At night it is not lit, great for star gazing.

Locally we visited Holkham beach, wonderful for swimming and walking. Wells next the Sea was great for shops and harbour activities.

I want to return to this site.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Musikate 3 reviews from this member

This campsite is one of the most expensive I've stayed in for what you get. That said it was a beautifully secluded and private site. When we went there was some building work going on which meant that one morning our peace was shattered quite early, but apart from that we had peace and quiet. The pitches are separated from each other by bushes and trees in this woodland setting. Each has its own fire pit loosely constructed from bricks, it's an old brickyard. You can buy logs from the owner - very small bag for £10 - or you can bring your own and forage for bits and pieces of dead wood in the surroundings. There is a newly constructed shower and flushing toilet very quirkily designed for a campsite. There is also a long drop toilet. While we were there it looked like the owner was preparing a glamping tent. I would give this campsite 10/10 if it was not so expensive. 3 nights and a minuscule bag of wood cost us £85. We were two adults with a small tent. We did have a van with us due to car troubles but even so it seems expensive. If you want to get away and get back to nature and don't want the facilities that normal campsites have then this is for you - as the price was per unit rather than per person I'm also guessing that if there were more of you it would work out more economical. The equivalent bag of wood you would pay £5 for from a garage. There are no other facilities, no playground etc so do not come here if you want traditional camping clutter.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Jonevin 2 reviews from this member

Stayed here for one night, and absolutely loved it. Sat round a fire looking at these geese flying over in perfect peace and quiet. Fantastic place, Tim is lovely and will help you find your way around the site. We will definitely return asap. Please note they do now have an open air shower and a mains toilet. I loved having a hot shower in the open air. Look at their website and you will know if it's for you or not.

Previous     13 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review wo win a £150 Amazon Voucher!!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Norfolk   -   Search for a site

Win a Kampa Portaflush 10 Portable Toilet! Win a 655ltr Waterproof Rooftop Bag worth £239

UKCS Meet Tribfest Festival 16th to 19th August, E Yorks
World's biggest tribute band festival. Family friendly. Discounted tickets and a chance to win some ...more