Visitor Reviews - West Bay Holiday Park ( Parkdean Resorts )

Campsite Search > UK > England > South West > Dorset > Bridport > West Bay Holiday Park ( Parkdean Resorts ) Reviews

West Bay Holiday Park ( Parkdean Resorts )
West Bay
Bridport
Dorset   (Browse area)
DT6 4HB
Tel: 0844 335 3548

Open: March - November

Statics for Hire   Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 No Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 Shop On Site   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   Wifi Access
 Fishing On Site   No Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool On Site   No Outdoor Pool
 Beach On Site   Watersports On Site   No Boat Launch
 Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Not Open All Year
 Coastside Pitches   Public Transport   No Dog Walk

Reviews:  76 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8

Date of Visit: May 2019 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Nights stayed: 7 Travelling as:  Family with young children
Reviewer: Mcmck 1 review from this member

Worst Caravan Park we've been on!

Toilets filthy, not cleaned for 2 days and no loo paper for 2 days!

1 bar staff only on duty - queues to the door to get a drink/order food - took 40 minutes to get to the single barman!

Food poor - £10 fish pie like a Tesco Value 99p one!

Caravan pitches overgrown with 4ft weeds, grass hedgerows never mown! Had to ask for someone to come cut them!

No security patrols - lots of unruly drunk groups, being rowdy way past the 10pm 'noise curfew' - going on until the early hours.

Reception staff simply 'talk a good patronising game' - problems never get solved!

Site mains water gave me a rash too!

Parkdean trying to run site on skeleton staff, and management oblivious.

Date of Visit: August 2018 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Ricky davidson 1 review from this member

West Bay is lovely, the holiday park is not. Not enough staff v guests. Touring facilities are grim. If you have a double axle caravan or long campervan, good luck. If you have an awning and a car don't expect passengers to be able to get out. Never saw a clean toilet in the entire complex and at least one cubicle would always have poo on the floor. Bins overflowed every day. The swimming pool was jerky and it doesn't state when you book that it is only open from 10am to 1245 and then 2 to 5. Entertainment for kids was poor. The same 3 acts rotated. In all major investment is needed. Didn't use the bar/restaurant do to speaking to a previous guest and them advising to go elsewhere as would be better food and cost less.

Date of Visit: July 2018 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Step24hen 2 reviews from this member

Location is great

Touring area needs a lot of work done to it to bring it up to other campsites

We had weeds jaggy nettles on our pitch. Sign posts were on the ground. The touring area was in a bit of a mess. The parkdean site where the statics were was spotless but touring was left in a state.

Customer service was not great. We booked in January thinking we would get a good pitch but we were put next to the trees and we ask to move but was told it was all vans was in 6 metres area, eventually we got a better pitch during the week. In our area suppose to be up to 6m we saw vans and caravans bigger than ours.

I wish parkdean would sort out this touring area for next year as we love the location and the park

Date of Visit: April 2018 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Natsbequiglibum 5 reviews from this member

It has been a wet March, but I was surprised to find the pitches in such a state.

The pitch I was offered for my Romahome was at the top of a steep rise to a terrace of chopped up poorly drained grass. The tarmac ended abruptly at an area of mud where others had struggled out.

I managed to avoid getting stuck and returned to reception to ask for a refund or upgrade to a hardstanding if possible.

Due to a cancellation this was done at no charge, although the hardstanding was an area of not level compacted sea ballast, only just large enough to park the van at a skew to avoid the grass bank rising to the next terrace being right at my back door. The Romahome is only small so I wouldn't like to try putting a larger van in, even if it had a side door.

I had booked with Parkdean Resorts through their cranky web site and had hoped that I would be better catered for by a firm of this size. I was aware the year has been wet, so hoped this would be better than a say farm style site.

Date of Visit: July 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Markie4569 7 reviews from this member

The location is fab.

Right in the harbour with its crabbing, fishing and multiple fish & chip huts - a proper quaint little fishing village.

Camping plots are (as always) right at the back of the site and this time, on terraces. The plot sizes aren't fabulous leaving little room to sit outside and enjoy the harbour view without encroaching onto the grass 'roadway' that you have to use to get to your pitch.

Toilets/Showers have been updated at some point and are fit for purpose.

The Pool was a winner for our kids and the shop was very well stocked.

What I will say is, If you have a fear of birds (seagulls in particular) I would give this site a miss. They terrorise locals and tourists alike and seem to have very little Fear.

The on site restaurant is adequate and not what I'd call cheap as was the Bar.

I've read some reviews on this site stating barking dogs as being a problem but when in a tent, I can assure you the seagulls and Crows will more than do their best to keep you awake all night!

All in all, a good site that IS in need of a little TLC as its now showing the scars of its age.

Having said that - I probably would return.

Date of Visit: March 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Alipin 3 reviews from this member

I picked this campsite due to its location & close to coast & only an hour and half from were we live in New Forest & we loved it, £33 for 3 nights with electrics in most beautiful place, out of season while beautiful. We do all sorts of camping, we back pack, we tent, we caravan, we festival sometimes with electrics other times without, we are a little weird but who cares.

I had my last Chemotherapy yesterday & we are going back again next week for husbands birthday, while cost is double but still cheap.

I'm just mad about camping & camping mad about me, they call me Mellow Yellow.

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Johnandann 12 reviews from this member

Just returned from a seven night stay at West Bay. First stay on a Park Dean site, but we have stayed on many other commercial sites previously. This site is sorely in need of an injection of capital by its owner's. At night many of the tiers have no lighting. The wardens hut was very rarely staffed. , no evidence of any ground work being done ( a complaint echoed by static van owners I spoke to), not a site that gives a good first impression. Pitch size is adequate, but a quoted size of 9. 5 metres by 9. 5 metres would end up with your unit encroaching onto the access roadway. Speaking to a seasonal owner, little grass cutting/ general tidying up has been done all year. This gives the site a very untidy appearance and the numerous weeds and long grass between the tiers risks dogs being bitten by ticks.

On a positive note the toilets and showers are kept really clean by obviously dedicated staff. It is a shame that some of the users didn't have any respect for these efforts! The ladies facilities are badly in need of a refurb. They are clean but old.

The real bonus of this site is its location and for this reason alone we will probably return.

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Claydoncamper 26 reviews from this member

This site is in a great location because you can walk to the harbour and beaches of West Bay in a few minutes, even from the touring section of the site which is further away than the static section.

There is no barrier in this site so you can just drive in and out. We donít really take valuable items away with us, but if you do, this is worth bearing in mind. It did seem safe though. Arrival and check-in was straightforward enough and was friendly and helpful. You get a pack on arrival with all the information about the site etc.

The pitch Ė yes, now this is a sticking point for me. With a folding camper, awning and average size family car, we arenít the most cumbersome unit in the world but once these three items were on the pitch, there wasnít any room to sit outside or set up a barbecue etc. Some pitches seemed to be bigger which was frustrating as I had paid a premium price for booking here. The pitches are tiered or terraced and whilst that means you have no-one in front of you and a grass bank behind you, getting your unit onto the pitch may be a little problematic. The best sea views are on the top terrace and anywhere else is limited with better views of the rooftops of static caravans. As always, most people drove down these narrow access roads carefully but there is always someone who thinks itís ok to tear down them Ė only takes one child to step out of an awning side door! There was fresh water and a grey drain at the end of our terrace but I donít think every terrace had one.

The toilets and showers Ė these were usually clean and tidy and there was always hot water. The showers have nowhere to sit though. The menís showers did have a bench outside of the cubicles. There is one hook in each cubicle which isnít sufficient and the water is delivered by one of those annoying push buttons that never seem to give enough time between pushes. As is always the case, the showers seemed specced and designed by someone who wasnít actually ever going to use them! The toilets were mostly clean though one or two campers could do with lessons on what a toilet brush is for.

As yes, fellow campers. In general the rest of the touring clientele were fine. There were some rather noisy souls though who thought that loud shouting and laughing beyond midnight was perfectly acceptable. And dogs! Now I donít mind dogs even though Iíd never have one myself. But some people need to understand that I donít want to spend all day listening to their dog barking because they donít give it enough attention. Oh for a dog free site!

We didnít use any of the site entertainment but it seemed as though it was the usual ĎHi-De-Hií style of bingo, karaoke and disco. Itís not something that will disturb either if you like quiet evenings, you canít hear it on the pitches Ė though maybe it was merely drowned out by laughing drunks and barking dogs! We did use the swimming pool and the kids really enjoyed it. It was half-term and busy so a band system was in operation whereby you get an hour or maybe a little longer in the pool before they call you out.

There is a small shop and the inevitable arcade but we didnít use it. Thereís a Morrisonís not far away in Bridport. West Bay has a nice harbour where the kids went crabbing and thereís a few souvenir shops etc, but there are plenty of outlets to get food and the fish and chips and fresh donuts werenít bad at all. We didnít use the site cafť but from reading previous reviews, it seems you get a better deal and meal outside the site gates.

So, would we go there again? I think Iíd look for somewhere else next time, though of course thereís not much choice if it has to be West Bay. The pitch size is the deal breaker for me. I do like a bit of room. I also like the flatter site rather than the terrace because the kids have more space for their bikes and that. Overall then, youíll either like this site or you wonít, Iím in the latter category but more because of my own preferences rather than any fault of the site itself.

Date of Visit: September 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Greg M 35 reviews from this member

Don't usually go to commercial sites but as this one was close to the sea (for my fishing) we gave it a go.

The pitches are on stepped levels and while we were there ours was quite muddy. Having said that there is plenty of room on each pitch.

As I said, convenient for the beaches and also several cafes, shops etc.

Can't comment on the site facilities as we didn't use any except the shop which stocked everything you need to keep you going.

Toilets and showers were clean every time we used them.

The one thing that takes the shine off, is having to pay £2 a night for a cat that never leaves the van, to my mind that is ridiculous.

Having said all that we would probably go back.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Lavlark 10 reviews from this member

We loved the location of this site. I found the toilets etc clean and more than adequate although the shower cubicles had no chair/seat, which, these days I need !- But this is not the first site I have used without this facility, and have to go into a toilet so I can sit down to get dressed !

However, there is plenty to do in and around the harbour, we found the old customs house, which is now being used as an antique/curio centre, along with food and drink available.

As advised, by a previous reviewer, I didn't want to eat at the sites cafe, but my husband wanted a pint, so we duly ordered fish n chips - over priced ( do watch out for the outside menu - it is for take away, with no prices for eating in ) and overcooked, and it really wasn't cod, a flat piece of constituted fish, covered in battered cardboard.

We had a walk into Bridport, which is a lovely little town, with many independent retail outlets- not cheap mind. We caught the bus back. There are also buses just outside the site, going to Lyme Regis, also Weymouth, which is great. Saves driving, and looking for car parks.

All in all, we would go to this site again.

Previous     76 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Dorset

Win a Buzz Quattro Tilting 4 Bike Carrier Win a Best of British Holiday worth up to £175!

UKCS Meet Tribfest Festival 15th to 18th August, E Yorks
The biggest tribute band music festival in the world! Use promo code ďtribukcampsiteĒ to save 10% on Weekend Camping Tickets! ...more