Visitor Reviews - Birchwood Tourist Park

Campsite Search > UK > England > South West > Dorset > Wareham > Birchwood Tourist Park Reviews

Birchwood Tourist Park
Bere Road
Coldharbour
Wareham
Dorset   (Browse area)
BH20 7PA
Tel: 01929 554763

No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge    Motorhome Point
 Shop On Site   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <5 miles   Wifi Access
 Fishing 5 miles   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Horse Riding   Cycle Hire 5 miles   Golf 5 miles   No Tennis
 Beach 10 miles   Watersports 10 miles   Boat Launch / Mooring 10 miles
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 5 miles  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  70 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7

Date of Visit: November 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Waterwonder 2 reviews from this member

Lovely peaceful site. Well looked after and really friendly and helpful staff. Everything you need in the site shop. Will definitely return to this beautiful site. Booking is easy either on line or by phone and they are very patient when taking calls from people who are unsure of their requirements. Lots of different types of pitches so chat to the team and they will explain them all.

Date of Visit: January 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Dubdogs 138 reviews from this member

Stayed at the site early in the New Year as wanted to walk around Wareham Forest. The site is ideally situated for this as it has a couple of entry points to the forest tracks.

There seems to be an unnecessary array of different pitch types (5 or 6), so when asking for a hardstanding pitch with EHU, we ended up being put on a fully serviced pitched in amongst a mass of long stay caravans. After setting up and venturing around the site, we realised we should have asked for a gravel pitch (a different type of hardstanding for them, but one we weren't offered) and we could have had a nice pitch away with forest views and a bit of seclusion. The ground seemed to drain very well and after a spell of persistent hard rain, it soon drained to be firm under foot on the grassy areas.

The facilities were dated, but were cleaned daily. The shop on site was stocked with the essentials, it was a tad over priced, but that's what you pay for convenience I guess. A little disappointing that the Wi-Fi is charged, it just seems another little extra that sites will empty your wallet for.

This is a handy site if you want to spend a day or two exploring the forest, but probably won't be rushing back to visit again.

Date of Visit: January 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: BigErnie 32 reviews from this member

We visited this site for one night early in January. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful but we were surprised by the cost for one night on a gravel pitch with electric hook up, it turned out that she has put us on a fully serviced pitch which we didn't really need, however a misunderstanding on both parts so we were happy to stay there but would know to be a bit more specific in the future. The reception also has a very well stocked shop even in low season, great for people like me who tend to be a little forgetful!

This is a large site and was busy following the festive period however there is easy walking off of the site so easy to get away from other campers if you prefer a bit of quiet.

The toilets were a bit dated and whilst cleaners were on site and visibly doing their jobs, the toilets did seem a bit tired like they could do with a deep clean or refurbishment. The site was well set up for families with a play park and seasonal games room. It is also a dog friendly site, perfect for us as we have two dogs and were able to walk them from the site and onto the Sika Trail in Wareham Forest.

I probably wouldn't come here in high season as I imagine it will get very busy but would have no issues coming back for an overnight stop.

Date of Visit: December 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Teithiwr 1 review from this member

Very good location for exploring the area, including the Dorset coast. It's a large, open site with little in the way of landscaping, but the pitches are well-spaced and flat. There's a small shop with food essentials and other items. The wardens are particularly welcoming. When we stayed, there was one toilet block open for the Winter season, and facilities were adequate - clean but in need of refurb. The showers had curtains not lockable doors, with a chair outside each cubicle. Not private enough for me so I showered in the van. Would go again but would probably try the Caravan Club site down the road first.

Date of Visit: December 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Jasie 14 reviews from this member

A great site for a Christmas getaway at short notice. After a quick phone call we were booked in. We had a fully serviced pitch that was dead level, and had a couple of waste options so you didnít need a long pipe. We unhitched the car, rolled it forward two inches and didnít move it until we rolled the van forward to hitch back up to leave!

The facilities are as all other reviews, dated, but always clean, but we tend to use our on board facilities, so we didnít really use these.

The shop had everything you could ever need and quite a few spares to do those little jobs on the caravan. But it also had everything you might ever need to feed yourself, even at this time of year.

The forest was easy to get into via a few different parts of the site, and loads of walks from here. This is a fantastic place to take the bikes as there are many trails around the forest with proper hard gravel tracks (not mud). Lots of deer to see running around, even on-site, so do keep your dog close if they are likely to give chase.

I must state that the nearby pub, The Silent Woman, which you can get to without going on the road must be avoided. We planned on getting some lunch having found it on the map, but they have a no kids policy and they wouldnít even let us in the door with the kids. Based on their attitude we would never go there even without the kids.

Wi-Fi, a bit costly, but not an obscene price like some sites, but it had a good strong signal, although only limited speed, so donít expect to stream tv/video when itís busy. They canít get fibre here yet!

You may want to view pitches before you commit as there seemed quite a lot of choice on location and either gravel, paved or even grass was in use.

We may go again for some cycling, but they wouldnít let us fly a model glider despite there being a fantastic large playing field (I think they have had some issues with uninsured Ďtoy dronesí) so we will probably go elsewhere.

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Paulsmith250 6 reviews from this member

My visit to Birchwood Tourist Park was over the Whitsun Bank Holiday weekend with my Son and a party using three other tents.

Booking process for me was not quite so straight forward as I wanted to set up a night before our stay, I had a trailer and wanted to be near the three other tents in our party. Ours was a large tent and I required electric hook-up and asked for the late pack down option. I managed some of it online though gave them a call to fill in the bits I couldnít do. The lady I spoke to was not fazed by my requests, was friendly, polite and very helpful throughout. I had an email confirmation after paying the deposit.

I checked in on my own on the Thursday afternoon to set up the main tent (Outwell Montana). The ladies in the reception/shop were very welcoming and competent coping with the telephone, new arrivals, radio messages and shop customers with calm ease. After paying for the break (good value!) I was escorted to my pitch and shown the boundaries and location of the facilities.

The site is huge located a few miles from Wareham on the edge of the forest. Birchwood has a one-way tarmacadam drive with a speed limit circling the site. There are two facilities blocks housing toilets, showers, wash-up and waste disposal. There are bin areas around the site including recycle points. The site is mostly grass however there are hard standing plots with most near the reception where caravans and motor homes are placed. There is a large field in the centre of the site used for tent pitches and large areas on the outside of the drive. There is a storage area for caravans and motor homes for rent throughout the year. Near the entrance there is a playing area for ball games with some goals and nets set up for tennis and volleyball etc.

The facilities blocks were regularly well maintained with a period in the afternoon when they are each closed off at different times for proper cleaning. I tend to be an early riser and didnít have to queue for a morning shower. My Son however had on occasions to wait. Mops were available to wipe the floor after your use for consideration of the next person. Toilet rolls and soap were always available for public use and the hand dryers worked well. The only time I had any issues with the temperature of water was in the evenings washing up. I had to queue a couple of times for the washing-up.

The shop is like a ĎTardisí full of everything you could want when away from home. Stock included fresh bread/rolls, bacon/eggs etc. , typical groceries, ice-creams, wine/beers, gas bottles, camping and caravanning accessories, toys and so much more. Amazing little place!

Wardens are around the site throughout the day and patrol regularly during night. Our party were asked very politely if we could be a little quieter. It was 10:45 pm and not an unreasonable request. We were told that we were not particularly loud, just that as the place was so quiet, our talking voices could be heard the other side of the site. And yes, the site is quiet. Children during the day typically cycle around the drive and wildlife is there for the spotting if you have the desire and patience to look for it. I saw a large bird of prey (no idea what it was!) a deer and a fox and I wasnít looking for them. Being on the edge of the Wareham forest is great for walks and light pollution is negligible for star gazers (canít guarantee the weather for this!). Poole is a few miles away and other attractions in Dorset are not too far away.

I loved this site. I loved the super cool staff, the big open spaces, the play area, the shop and I judge a place by the quality of Ďthe facilitiesí. I cannot find a fault and the value for money over a Bank Holiday was pretty good too. Will I come again? You bet!

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: J kabigat 4 reviews from this member

Just spent 10 days at Birchwood and can't really say anything particularly negative about it but on the other hand I can't say it was fantastic either.

The sight is situated on the edge of Whareham forest and about a ten minute drive from Whareham itself.

The pitches on the sight are of different sizes and are marked on each corner. As long as you don't pitch outside the markers you can set up however you like and your vehicle can be parked anywhere.

We had a large pitch for our 6 man tent and there was still plenty of room to spread out.

There are two shower/toilet blocks, the blocks we used near our pitch was very dated and was showing its age although I must say they were always spotless and there was plenty of hot water.

Each block had two washing up stations one of which was covered and there was a laundry and disabled toilets.

There was a children's play area with sand pit and a paddling pool which the kids loved. There was also a games room which was a bit poor with a few slot machines and pool table.

There was a massive sports field for football a tennis and volley ball pitch and pitch and put.

Whareham forest is easily accessible from the site which is nice for walks and there is also a cycle trail.

The staff were all very friendly and the wardens were always about if you needed help.

We thought the site was fine as a base for exploring Dorset but would probably not revisit it.

Date of Visit: April 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Larbea22 10 reviews from this member

Visited here in 2012, and since we couldn't get onto our usual site we thought we'd re-visit Birchwood.

Not much has changed, apart from the fact it suddenly seems VERY caravan orientated. There were far more caravans than tents - not a bad thing at all, just a surprised compared to last time we visited.

We were down in 'Eagle' which appears to be an overflow field with only (I assume) 2 EHU points. This was fine as we were a group of 2 tents and 1 trailer tent, so we could pitch how we wanted around the EHU.

One thing that did strike me, is how few toilets/showers they had for the amount of people there. I was lucky to bag the last shower one morning, and there were at least 2-3 people waiting while I was showering. Interesting to hear the conversation about there not being enough hot water, depending on how far up the block you got. I think there was 4, maybe 5 showers in the main block. From memory, there was 3-4 in the other block which we used on our previous visit.

The temperature of the showers was confirmed when my husband and nephew went for a shower one evening. Hubby started in a shower which was lukewarm, so he moved further along and ended up with a cold shower. Not ideal :(

One big issue with the site, and its out of their control, is the midgies which come out mid evening. We were swarmed where we were, trying to sit out on an evening was near impossible.

I wouldn't do a mad rush back to Birchwood - its a lovely site, with a very well stocked shop, but I can't help thinking the facilities let them down - whether the assumption is that most people in caravans should use the facilities they have in their van or not I don't know?

Date of Visit: February 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: KiriM 6 reviews from this member

First trip away in 2015.

Very large, open site. Appears to be lots of people living in their caravans here and a large storage area. There is a children's play area and pool which looks a bit tired out of season.

The weather was wet and windy and around our hardstanding it was quite muddy, as the site is open the wind felt quite strong around our awning.

There is an excellent shop which is reasonably priced.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: RIMMER 176 reviews from this member

Very friendly reception with a well stocked shop including booze. Had a nice fully serviced pitch on block standing for £20/night which was very peaceful and heard no road noise. A dog friendly site but some of the owners let their dogs yap a bit too much in the morning. A large site surrounded by trees with access to the forest which was good for cycling/walking though some of the tracks were quite muddy. The forest holds a lot of wildlife with birds such as Dartford warbler, Woodlark amongst others. Not much to do otherwise, the pub Quiet Woman is a 20 min walk down the busy road which has no pavement but worth a visit for its good food, friendly service and Badger real ales, the pub can be reached using the forest trail also but takes longer. I walked to Wareham one day through the forest which took over an hour and caught a taxi back(£9). Someone mentioned a cold shower, I found the showers to be hot enough bur the water to the sinks were only warm otherwise great site.

Previous     70 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Dorset

Win a £299 Clarke IG1200B Suitcase Generator! Win an Outwell Electric Barbecue Package worth over £205

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 6 to 7th July, Derbyshire