Reviews of Birchwood Tourist Park

Campsite Search > UK > England > South West > Dorset > Wareham > Birchwood Tourist Park Reviews

Birchwood Tourist Park
Bere Road
Coldharbour
Wareham
Dorset   (Browse area)
BH20 7PA
Tel: 01929 554763

This site has an availability calendar. You can check for availability here

Open: 01/01/2021 to 31/12/2021
           01/01/2022 to 31/12/2022

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Small Campervans
 No Glamping Units   No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge    Motorhome Point   Wifi Access
 Shop On Site   Bar <5 miles   Restaurant or Cafe or Takeaway <5 miles
 Fishing <5 miles   No Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool <5 miles   No Outdoor Pool
 No Horse Riding   Cycle Hire <5 miles   Golf <5 miles   No Tennis
 Beach <10 miles   Watersports <10 miles   Boat Launch / Mooring <10 miles
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <5 miles  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  75 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8

Date of Visit: September 2021 Unit:  Motorhome
Nights stayed: 5 Travelling as:  Solo traveller
Reviewer: Dk168 27 reviews from this member

My second trip to Birchwood Tourist Park this year, and stayed at my favourite pitch during the first week after the school holidays, and had a nice quiet stay.

All the facilities were fully opened, and the management and staff were as helpful as always.

There is a new bus service that serves the campsite, apparently it allows dogs too! However, my dog is only 8 months old and too excitable to travel on public transport, hence I did not try this new bus service.

Here is the information taken from Birchwood's website about this new bus service:

"NEW! Summer bus service (31) starting 29th May 2021 to September

Travelling direct from the campsite to Wareham train station and into town.

On to Monkey World, Bovington Tank Museum, Lulworth cove & Durdle Door. Change at Wareham to the Breezer 40 for Poole or Swanage. "

There was a mobile burger van by The Dorset Food Co. On Thursday during my stay, and I sampled their Pig Mac (pork burger) with cheese that came with seasoned chips, and it was nice and reasonable at 8. 50 GBP.

The only very small niggle is that the grass pitch with EHU was very well-used, and was rather bare and muddy. It is due to be re-seeded over this coming winter.

I went to Sandbanks Monday evening and it was packed with youngsters enjoying themselves before going back to college/university. I returned on Thursday late morning and it was very quiet and lovely.

All in all, another nice stay at my favourite campsite.

Date of Visit: April 2021 Unit:  Campervan
Nights stayed: 5 Travelling as:  Solo traveller
Reviewer: Dk168 27 reviews from this member

For my first camping trip in over two years, I chose to return to Birchwood Tourist Park which is my favourite site, and it did not disappoint.

Opened with strict Covid-19 compliance procedures in place, although they were allowed to open the toilets and washing up facilities etc. (no showers, and they only found this out a few days before they re-opened on 12 April 2021) the site was quite busy, mostly with units with their own onboard facilities. I saw only one tent during my stay.

I stayed on an all service pitch with my campervan with her own facilities, and thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

The staff were very helpful and the site well-kept as per usual. I was able to borrow a TV cable as mine was too short. Although it did not fit my van's TV port, I was given the advice and permission to change the connection to fit my own (I changed it back before I returned it).

I did not use the site facilities except for one of the two chemical toilet disposal points which was nicely kept clean by all who used it.

The site has a direct access to Wareham Forest, and my dog loved the walks around the site and the forest itself.

All in all, a very nice first trip in over two years at my favourite site.

Date of Visit: August 2020 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Nights stayed: 7 Travelling as:  Family with young children
Reviewer: Sarahe12 1 review from this member

This campsite was fantastic. Very friendly and helpful staff. Managed to get our pitches together, no problem whatsoever. Showers and toilets very clean.

Childrens play area and sandpit was a big hit with our children.

Lovely park and would highly recommend

Date of Visit: July 2020 Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 1 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Kaz and Gaz 1 review from this member

Just got home from one night camping at Birchwood tourist park Wareham. We only booked to clean our tent as our son used it for a week with his mates. So glad we did, it was disgusting and Birchwood touring park was fantastic. Wish we had booked longer.

Spotless showers and toilets. Social distancing and polite courteous campers.

Clean washing up fascliities. Water and electric very close to tent.

Playgrounds and paddling pool for the children. Even though we were just the 2 of us, we did love seeing the kids playing enjoying outdoor freedom.

Best bit was the forest walk in the evening. Slept like a baby. Definitely going again.

Date of Visit: August 2019 Unit:  Trailer Tent
Nights stayed: 4 Travelling as:  Family with young children
Reviewer: WashyWashy 1 review from this member

Just spent a hot sunny bank holiday at Birchwood. We were lucky to secure a booking as it was very last minute but managed to get a pitch with EHU.

Checking in was easy and we were shown to our pitch by one of the site rangers. The site itself was perfect for our family with the park and paddling pool.

The bathroom facilities were cleaned daily to a high standard with the only downside being that there were issues with hot water on one of the days but there was plenty of hot water on the others.

We were pitched right next to the toilet block and swings which was great in that we could keep an eye on our children from our tent whilst they played but was obviously very hectic and noisy with all the children running around.

We would definitely return to this site as it is a great base for all there is to do in the area.

Date of Visit: November 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Waterwonder 2 reviews from this member

Lovely peaceful site. Well looked after and really friendly and helpful staff. Everything you need in the site shop. Will definitely return to this beautiful site.

Booking is easy either on line or by phone and they are very patient when taking calls from people who are unsure of their requirements.

Lots of different types of pitches so chat to the team and they will explain them all.

Date of Visit: January 2017 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Dubdogs 147 reviews from this member

Stayed at the site early in the New Year as wanted to walk around Wareham Forest. The site is ideally situated for this as it has a couple of entry points to the forest tracks.

There seems to be an unnecessary array of different pitch types (5 or 6), so when asking for a hardstanding pitch with EHU, we ended up being put on a fully serviced pitched in amongst a mass of long stay caravans.

After setting up and venturing around the site, we realised we should have asked for a gravel pitch (a different type of hardstanding for them, but one we weren't offered) and we could have had a nice pitch away with forest views and a bit of seclusion. The ground seemed to drain very well and after a spell of persistent hard rain, it soon drained to be firm under foot on the grassy areas.

The facilities were dated, but were cleaned daily. The shop on site was stocked with the essentials, it was a tad over priced, but that's what you pay for convenience I guess. A little disappointing that the Wi-Fi is charged, it just seems another little extra that sites will empty your wallet for.

This is a handy site if you want to spend a day or two exploring the forest, but probably won't be rushing back to visit again.

Date of Visit: January 2017 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: BigErnie 32 reviews from this member

We visited this site for one night early in January. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful but we were surprised by the cost for one night on a gravel pitch with electric hook up, it turned out that she has put us on a fully serviced pitch which we didn't really need, however a misunderstanding on both parts so we were happy to stay there but would know to be a bit more specific in the future. The reception also has a very well stocked shop even in low season, great for people like me who tend to be a little forgetful!

This is a large site and was busy following the festive period however there is easy walking off of the site so easy to get away from other campers if you prefer a bit of quiet.

The toilets were a bit dated and whilst cleaners were on site and visibly doing their jobs, the toilets did seem a bit tired like they could do with a deep clean or refurbishment. The site was well set up for families with a play park and seasonal games room. It is also a dog friendly site, perfect for us as we have two dogs and were able to walk them from the site and onto the Sika Trail in Wareham Forest.

I probably wouldn't come here in high season as I imagine it will get very busy but would have no issues coming back for an overnight stop.

Date of Visit: December 2016 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Teithiwr 1 review from this member

Very good location for exploring the area, including the Dorset coast. It's a large, open site with little in the way of landscaping, but the pitches are well-spaced and flat. There's a small shop with food essentials and other items.

The wardens are particularly welcoming. When we stayed, there was one toilet block open for the Winter season, and facilities were adequate - clean but in need of refurb.

The showers had curtains not lockable doors, with a chair outside each cubicle. Not private enough for me so I showered in the van.

Would go again but would probably try the Caravan Club site down the road first.

Date of Visit: December 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Jasie 14 reviews from this member

A great site for a Christmas getaway at short notice. After a quick phone call we were booked in. We had a fully serviced pitch that was dead level, and had a couple of waste options so you didnít need a long pipe. We unhitched the car, rolled it forward two inches and didnít move it until we rolled the van forward to hitch back up to leave!

The facilities are as all other reviews, dated, but always clean, but we tend to use our on board facilities, so we didnít really use these.

The shop had everything you could ever need and quite a few spares to do those little jobs on the caravan. But it also had everything you might ever need to feed yourself, even at this time of year.

The forest was easy to get into via a few different parts of the site, and loads of walks from here. This is a fantastic place to take the bikes as there are many trails around the forest with proper hard gravel tracks (not mud). Lots of deer to see running around, even on-site, so do keep your dog close if they are likely to give chase.

I must state that the nearby pub, The Silent Woman, which you can get to without going on the road must be avoided. We planned on getting some lunch having found it on the map, but they have a no kids policy and they wouldnít even let us in the door with the kids. Based on their attitude we would never go there even without the kids.

Wi-Fi, a bit costly, but not an obscene price like some sites, but it had a good strong signal, although only limited speed, so donít expect to stream tv/video when itís busy. They canít get fibre here yet!

You may want to view pitches before you commit as there seemed quite a lot of choice on location and either gravel, paved or even grass was in use.

We may go again for some cycling, but they wouldnít let us fly a model glider despite there being a fantastic large playing field (I think they have had some issues with uninsured Ďtoy dronesí) so we will probably go elsewhere.

Previous     75 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Is Birchwood Tourist Park child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Birchwood Tourist Park?  There is a shop on site  View all facilities

Is Birchwood Tourist Park dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Wareham      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Dorset

UKCS Meet Paws in the Park, Kent 18/09 to 19/09
UK's largest outside dog show for working, trained and pet dogs held at the Kent Showground. Weekend camping available on site ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2021