Visitor Reviews - Sunnyside Farm

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South East > Kent > Site Reviews

Sunnyside Farm
Shalmsford Road
Chilham
Canterbury
Kent   (Browse area)
CT4 8BS
Tel: 07894 011182  or  01227 365314

This site has an availability calendar. You can check for availability here

Pitches: 5 Vans + Tents

Shop <5 miles   Bar <5 miles   Restaurant <5 miles   Wifi Access
 Fishing <5 miles   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   Cycle Hire <5 miles   Golf   Tennis <5 miles
 Beach <10 miles   Watersports   Boat Launch / Mooring
 Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  18 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Ajs633 5 reviews from this member

Great campsite. Despite being in middle of August it was quiet with lots of space between tents. Facilities were excellent. Location superb. We cycled along the Stour Way into Canterbury which was a fab day out. We went out to Whitstable one day but didn't like it too much. Had a lovely meal at the Compasses Inn. Would like to return to the site.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Canon Graham 3 reviews from this member

We have had an excellent stay at this fantastic site. Well managed, clean and quiet. Pete the owner made us feel so welcome, we wish we had booked for longer. Nothing was too much trouble. Runner beans were fabulous and Pete's mum was just amazing. Lovely group of people camping on site whilst we were there. We have put this as our number one place to visit in the future. Thank you for enabling us to have an excellent break, we will be back.

Graham and Angela Isle of Wight.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: SHAZ44 11 reviews from this member

We have just returned from 6 nights at this lovely site. On arrival we were met by Pete the owner, who gave us lots of information regarding the surrounding area. Facilities are great, it was great having a washing machine and drier having little ones. Good value we recommend this site. Close to both Canterbury and Ashford also only approx 25 minutes to Dover for day trip to France.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Phil2112 1 review from this member

This site was everything the previous reviews said it was. Well maintained, great facilities and extremely helpful and friendly owners.

It was easy to find and just far enough of the beaten track to be quiet.

The location was ideal for a bit of touring ( Herne Bay was V disappointing tho')

However Chilham is lovely and the Woolpack is a great pub.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Turbo93 1 review from this member

This will be the second time I have visited this little site and I must say I have been blown away by both experiences. I first came when the site first opened, the site included toilets and showers with spacious pitches along with an amazing view across the country side. The owner Pete lives locally and was able to advise about the local area which is always extremely helpful!

After talking with Pete he explained the improvements he wanted to make with the facility’s and pitch areas, I promised to return as I could not believe he would be able to improve on this already flawless site. On my return to the site I could not believe the transformation the toilet and shower area had undertook, I love the fact one minute I am setting up my tent, and the next minute I feel like I am walking into a Luxury hotel. The little touches like a washing machine, sink and fridge really does go the extra mile for me.

I like to cycle when I get the chance, and in my opinion there is nothing like packing up a picnic for the day and taking the Crab & winkle cycle route from Canterbury right the way through to Whitstable. And after all that, returning to my little tent for a well-deserved glass of wine with nothing but the sound of birds to send me off to sleep. I rarely get the time away from work to enable me to relax, but when I do there is nothing that beats this little getaway I feel I have found.

I cannot recommend this site enough for anyone that just wants to get away from the daily grind and enjoy a peaceful long weekend away, I also cannot thank Pete enough for how welcome I was made to feel. If only I could get away here every week! I will most definitely be returning.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Alfiegeorge 13 reviews from this member

A lovely site well worth a visit only a few manageable pitches and a great location. We used it as a 2 day stop over before our trip to France via Dover. Unfortunately our visit was marred by a grown idiot of a man who thought it would a good idea to play with his remote controlled car from 08. 30 till 20. 30 clearly spoiling the peace and quiet the site has to offer I did think of complaining but as we were only there for 2 nights wasn't really worth getting my Y fronts in a twist about. THIS HAS NO REFLECTION ON THE SITE OR OWNER, and I would return.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jo123 5 reviews from this member

Just back from a week at this gem of a site in rural Kent. The pitches are spacious and the facilities block (which includes 2 loos, 2 showers, wash up sink, washer, dryer, fridge, kettle) is kept well stocked, clean and fresh by Pete, the site manager. Nearby is the lovely village of Chilham - we had a delicious Sunday roast in the Woolpack Inn, highly recommended. Only 20 mins to the sea at Whitstable, some lovely little shops to browse there. Canterbury is just up the road for groceries and supplies. The Great Stour Way (which you join in Chartham, conveniently near the Artichoke pub!) is a very pleasant 3 mile walk into Canterbury. We had a super, restful week and would happily recommend Sunnyside Farm.

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Dewdrop968 1 review from this member

May Bank Holiday weekend and being newbies to the world of caravanning we arrived on site with some trepidation of what to expect. Soon after our arrival we met Pete the site owner. What a lovely friendly chap he is. He even helped us tackle an awning that was a challenge to erect. His helpfulness was greatly appreciated and left us in no doubt that nothing is to much trouble. This site is a little gem. Only 8 pitches, nice and quiet but still only 10 mins from the centre of Canterbury. The shower block is still ongoing but fully functional. This is ideally an adult only site. A rare sanctuary from modern day life.

At the rear of the site is a huge orchard for walking our dogs.

All in all we have enjoyed our first outing as caravanners. Thank you Pete for creating such a lovely site. We will be back!

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: TimCESmith 29 reviews from this member

This is an amazingly peaceful spot with spectacularly beautiful views across the valley to the Chartham Downs. It was bluebell time; the orchards were in full blossom and the rape fields were just coming into flower. Last night we cooked over a barbecue as the moon rose.

It's a very small site with 8 generous pitches on the EHU field and a smaller area for half-a-dozen or so backpackers. The smart facilities block has three showers and two lavatories, a washer, dryer and kitchen sink. There is a small fridge with a little ice-cube compartment which fits five or six cool blocks. There's a four gang for charging gadgets and a monitor showing CCTV coverage of the site entrance. Outside there are bins, a chemical disposal point and a drinking water tap.

The ground was dry and rather hard in places, with some stones to excite my Outwell pegs: I forgot to bring any rock pegs. It's a gently sloped and rather bumpy at the top of the EHU field. Pitches 1 - 3 looked the flattest and the grass there is in amazingly good condition, although there's slightly less cover from the breeze.

Pete is very friendly and helpful and is industriously improving the site, so you'll see him around quite a lot. There's also a sweet-looking but absolutely brazen little cat which will steal your supper given half a chance. And you'll need to enjoy birdsong: there's a lot of it.

In summary, this site is definitely a keeper. Although it's a bit of a schlep to do the shopping, the location couldn't be better and the facilities are just right for the size. Campers were invited to help themselves from a basket of potatoes and onions - a really pleasing touch. Now if Pete were to add a microwave and maybe a kettle.

Date of Visit: April 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: IG16 1 review from this member

This is a very pleasant, well kept campsite. The owner Pete is very friendly and helpful and the site is extremely well-kept. If you need facilities then there is an excellent toilet/shower block and washing facilities. It would be perfect but for one thing and that is the road noise. As the crow flies the A28 is only a few hundred yards away and if the wind is blowing in a certain direction, which it seemed to do the whole time we stayed there, the noise is quite considerable and pretty much constant except for the middle of the night. Obviously sensitivity to noise is a personal thing and some people may not be bothered at all by it. However, one of the reasons we chose this site was having read other reviews we were expecting a certain level of peace and quiet and so were rather disappointed. There is also a railway track not too far away, which is also audible at the site. I just felt I needed to write this review and point out the noise issue so that others can be pre-warned. Apart from that though, this is a great little site in a lovely area. There are some really good pubs. One in particular deserves a special mention and that is The Compasses at Crundale. It's a beautiful pub serving absolutely delicious food. It is expensive but well worth it.

Previous     18 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Save to Virtual Brochure  Add this Site to your Virtual Brochure                                Share  Google Plus  Email Link  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

Other sites within 10 miles   -    All Sites in Kent   -   Search for a site

Three sets of AutoSock Car Snow Socks to be won Win a Weeks Holiday at Stafford Moor Fishery

UKCS Meet Caravan, Camping & Motorhome Show 19th to 24th Feb, NEC
See the latest ranges of motorhomes, caravans, holiday homes, tents, awnings and accessories ...more