Reviews of West Down Orchard Touring Park

Campsite Search > UK > England > South West > Somerset > South Petherton > West Down Orchard Touring Park Reviews

West Down Orchard Touring Park
Lopen Head Park
South Petherton
Somerset   (Browse area)
TA13 5JH

Open: 01/01/2021 to 31/12/2021

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Small Campervans
 No Glamping Units   Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge    Motorhome Point   No Wifi Access
 Shop On Site   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant or Cafe or Takeaway <1 mile
 No Fishing   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Horse Riding   Cycle Hire On Site   No Golf   No Tennis
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport On Site  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  11 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: September 2020  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Motorhome
Nights stayed: 1 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Kevin smith 21 3 reviews from this member

Arrived late Monday

Was made very welcome

Will be going there again

Disappointed no showers or toilets

We only used the site

Our friends moved to south petherton two weeks ago

Village is very nice

Date of Visit: February 2020 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Nights stayed: 5 Travelling as:  Retired couple
Reviewer: Peter1967 1 review from this member

Would have given 11 stars if I could, a truly fabulous caravan park situated within a cider apple orchard,

Very knowledgeable and helpful Wardens that couldnít help us enough,

We almost didnít stay here after reading previous reviews about electrical problems but so glad we did, we had no problems during are stay but we were using Lpg gas for the heating Of our caravan,

The wild life is fantastic during my morning coffee we spotted a group of deers just wondering the park,

Toilets / washrooms were clean, my only small criticism shower water temperature was a bit warm but I did report this and they were looking in to it.

To finish this was my favourite caravan park I have had the pleasure of visiting in 25 years of touring, see you again soon

Date of Visit: January 2020 Unit:  Motorhome
Nights stayed: 4 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Paul wilson 1 review from this member

We Were made to feel very welcome By the manager despite arriving late due bad weather, we Were shown to are pitch and he even helped us with are electrical hook up,

Site is very clean and well kept toilets and showers clean and plenty hot water and no coins needed which is nice

We will be returning again soon

Date of Visit: November 2019 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Nights stayed: 4 Travelling as:  Retired couple
Reviewer: Rainy Day 1 review from this member

I would like to confirm the previous comments of Lea and Yvette. The constant loss of electricity was very inconvenient and frustrating.

Also there was evidence that the toilets had not been cleaned in the 5 days we were there.

We were also told on the second day of our stay that the loss of electricity was due to all the rain. Before being told 2 days later it was due to everyone using electricity for their heating! I was really shocked at the belligerent response we received, not what I expected after reading previous good reviews before I booked.

This was a shame, as the site itself had an excellent location, with lovely views and it was easy to get to many interesting places. To be by the cider orchard was a real delight.

Date of Visit: November 2019 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Nights stayed: 3 Travelling as:  Family with young children
Reviewer: Lea and Yvette 4 reviews from this member

Without a doubt this is the worst site we have visited and that's going some as we've accidentally booked at some right holes before.

Positives, nice location for us visiting family and when our power lead failed the young chap on site obliged with a replacement to see us over our 3 night stay.

Negatives, the toilet block and the infuriating and temperamental metered electric hook up. The water pressure in the toilet block was intermittent at best in both men and womens cubicles, my wife gave up after 20 mins and rinsed her conditioner out at the van.

I went half hour later and the electric shower wasn't even a trickle so I used the only other cubicle on the site - had water pressure but was bloody freezing so we all had 1 shower for our entire stay. The toilet block was cold and really grimy, I've took photos if the site want to contest it.

The electric hook up was an absolute joke, the hook up points were miles from the pitches (ours didn't reach) and the fuses continually kept blowing. We only had the caravan heating on low and switched off everything else if we boiled the kettle so hardly over loading it. When we went out for the day we'd only power the fridge only to find the fuse had blown when we got back.

When I and another disgruntled caravanner (who said their power had dropped out every couple of hours) pointed it out to the warden he was massively defensive and stated there was nothing wrong with the supply as they'd had it checked and suggested it was because people were heating their vans - its November pal, people will heat their caravans and the site wasn't even particularly busy.

The warden became confrontational and stated if the shower wasn't working I should have found him as he'd managed to get it working 10 minutes later and despite me showing him the video of it not working called me a liar.

The other person complaining suggested we walk away as the warden was clearly not customer focused. When I told him I'd write a review he said he couldn't have cared less.

I lost my sense of humour when my kids woke me at 4am this morning to say they were cold as the power failed again and I had to get dressed to revisit the fuse box.

The site was neglected and poorly run which is a shame as it's in a lovely area

Date of Visit: July 2019 Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Family with young children
Reviewer: Nick and Ella 1 review from this member

My six year old daughter and I stayed here over the Air Day weekend for her first ever camping trip, and it was brilliant. We arrived out of hours, but that wasn't a problem as the owner was on site to meet us and show us our pitch.

Tent pitch was flat with very well maintained grass. We didn't need electric hook up, however it was available.

Toilet & shower blocks were always clean with plenty of hot water. Nice to not need a bag of 50p's or £1 coins for a shower too!

Overall a great site in a great location. Quiet and peaceful with great facilities. This will definitely be our "go to" site every time we're in the area.

Date of Visit: March 2018 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: HOSPITALWORKER 28 reviews from this member

This is a lovely and peaceful site within easy reach of the A303.

My only comment would be that the shower block could do with some slight modernisation. The facilities are really clean but some heating/showers which indicate which way the hot/cold is and a shelf to put toiletries on is all it needs.

We visited the Nags Head in Martock which was very welcoming and the food was all home cooked and excellent value for money.

We would definitely return to this site and recommend it.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Rolokate 1 review from this member

We stayed on this site last weekend, what a gem set in apple orchards close to the A303. The access was easy lovely couple running this site, the reception area also hosts a shop with all the essentials and lovely bread from the local bakery.

The facilities were spacious with excellent showers and in the ladies extra touches like hand cream cotton buds cotton wool ball were provided and they were always clean.

We booked a hard standing pitch with EHU ( Pay for what you use)again plenty of room cars are to be parked in the car park which was very close by. Also the usual chemical deposal site with recycling bins an under cover washing up area with washing machine and tumble dryer

The walking among the apple trees was lovely especially if you have dogs and there are lots of walks you can take. Close by is the village of South Petherton with a small coop, bike shop and various others independant retailers a pub and small restaurant, There is also a good pub at Dinnington (Dinnington Docks ) approx 1. 5 mile walk or short drive. Crewkerne has a waitrose, Budgens and Lidl whilst Ilminster has a tesco. Also Not far are NT properties Barrington Court, Montacute House and East Lambrook Manor gardens are well worth a visit, Ham Hill country park is a must for a dog walk or for children to run around and explore fabulous Pub The Prince of Wales ( dog friendly and muddy boots)

This a fab place for a week/weekend break, overnight stop on route to Devon or Cornwall in my opinion this site is highly recommended

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Cazzymac 1 review from this member

My son was doing a Blacksmith course in the area so I decided to look for a campsite in the area and found this lovely place. The man I spoke to when I called to book was lovely and couldn't have been more helpful so I didn't hesitate to book us in for the night. Upon arrival I went to reception to be greeted by the nice and polite owner who signed us in, gave us the site rules, informed us of all facilities (toilets, showers, washing up room, washing and drying and the small but well stocked on site shop) and showed us where we could set up. As my son was to be at his course all day, leaving me at a loose end, I asked the gent what time we had to be off site the next day and explained why I was asking and he kindly said it was no bother us leaving whenever we were ready.

This site is set in a lovely orchard with amazing views across the hills and we didn't hear a peep from others on site all through the night.

What a lovely little place we chose to visit.

We will definitely be making another visit in the very near future

Date of Visit: October 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Joeyskol1969 1 review from this member

Was looking for a closer campsite to home so we can use the van throughout the year and came across this site. On entering we were impressed with the fantastic views. Toilet area was very clean and looks like further park improvements were ongoing, such as new fencing and pitch upkeep. Friendly reception and very relaxed. We are able to store our van for a very competitive rate. We are staying here for the first time for 3 nights and at £13 a night very good price. Electric card weird as we have never used this way, we will see how expensive this is as we go.

Previous     11 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Is West Down Orchard Touring Park child friendly?  YES, it accepts children  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to West Down Orchard Touring Park?  There is a shop on site  View all facilities

Is West Down Orchard Touring Park dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near South Petherton       Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Somerset

UKCS Meet Truckfest W Midlands and Wales 03/07 to 04/07
Exciting family entertainment with weekend camping ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2021