Visitor Reviews - Big Hillsdale Farm

Campsite Search > UK > England > Central > Staffordshire > Leek > Big Hillsdale Farm Reviews

Big Hillsdale Farm
Grindon
Leek
Staffordshire   (Browse area)
ST13 7PE
Tel: 01538 304458  or  07971412101
Check Digital TV coverage    See Weather Forecast

Open: 21st March

Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 No Kitchen Facilities   Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point
 Shop <5 miles   Bar <5 miles   Restaurant <5 miles   No Wifi Access
 No Fishing   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Horse Riding   Cycle Hire 5 miles   Golf 5 miles   No Tennis
 No Sea Views   Working Farm   Campfires Allowed   Not Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  19 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: May 2019 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Family with young children
Reviewer: Despot67 2 reviews from this member

Well we turned up midweek in the kids half term hols and we were the only ones there - kinda nice but Lily missed having someone to play with. The owners, Gillian and Chris are wonderfull and they let our young un feed to lambs and chickens etc - so a real treat for them.

The toilets were spotless and for a back to basics cheap night cmapsite I don't think you can beat it. The field is sloping in parts so pick your spot but the views are spectacular and its close to a few very nice pubs or short drive to Leek market town.

We will definitely return as its a very relaxing place and as mentioned the owners really make it special.

Date of Visit: May 2019 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Extended family
Reviewer: Leeholligan 1 review from this member

We stayed 2 nights in the lower field with electric hook up, from the minute we got there Gill could not have made us feel any more welcome,

The view from the field was stunning,

The shower and toilet were a short walk and basic (donít expect 5 star) but for what they charge to camp there much much more than adequate and believe me we have paid triple the price for far worse, we all really could not recommend this site enough (provided you are not out for luxury.

Due to price, facilities, views and the welcome we received we have decided to make Big Hillside Farm our base from now on when we visit the Peak District, it really is perfect as long as your not out for 5 star

Date of Visit: April 2019 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Nights stayed: 3 Travelling as:  Family with young children
Reviewer: Ninamarielouise 3 reviews from this member

Lovely, peaceful campsite on a working farm with gorgeous panoramic views of the hills. It is just one field which is quite slopey, so it wouldnít suit a group with large tents.

We were a group with small kids with 2 campervans, one small 2person ridge tent and one larger family tent. We just about squeezed on to a flat bit by the field entrance.

The owners had just installed 2 toilets and a stand pipe at the bottom of the field, so you donít have to trek down the lane to the farmhouse any more, unless you want the shower or washing up facilities.

We did a fantastic circular walk straight from the farm over Grindon to Thorís Cave then back down the Manifold valley to the cafe at Witton Mill and along the stream back up to the farm, it really was idyllic and very peaceful once off the beaten track, considering it was Easter weekend and the start of the hot weather.

Firepits and wood are provided, and there are very handy picnic benches dotted around for campers to use. The kids absolutely loved it as they had total freedom, there are no roads to worry about.

The only improvement I would suggest is that they install a washing-up sink outside as itís currently at the back of the toilet & shower block in a dark dingy corner.

Overall fantastic value for money, only £5 per adult per night and no other charges.

Date of Visit: July 2018 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Maddoxfamily 1 review from this member

My husband and myself decided to take our 3 boys camping with our new to us, second hand tent. We wanted somewhere cheap and local to test it so we could go home if it all went wrong. They said that the best experiences are the ones you least expect and that is exactly what happened during are 5 day stay that we had to extend as none of us wanted to leave.

Our children are 6, 2 and 5 months old and each child had gained something from this holiday. When I say holiday, thatís exactly what our testing trip turned out to be. We felt no where near home and the views were breath taking.

Everyday we went to find gill and Chris so see what we could do on the farm. The boys bottle fed a calf everyday, fed the hens, checked in on and stroked brand new puppies under the watchful eye of there Mum. They stroked donkeys, watched cows been milked and had a blast asking questions about what they were seeing and experiencing.

To be fully honest though, us adults enjoyed this experience as much, if not more than the kids. As the days went on, Gill and Chris made us feel more like friends and customers. They were always friendly and we enjoyed many a chat with them. I looked forward to seen them both and was really sad to say goodbye.

During the week we shared the field with just a few campers which was absolutely lovely. It was quiet and peaceful. We went on walks to the local village and drove a few minutes to manifold valley so the kids could play in the water and we could have brew and cake.

This would have been a brilliant walk as baby was happy in his carrier but a little to much for our two year old this is why we chose to drive. We took a drive to dovedale and walked through fields of cows and sheep and collected a dozen eggs for 50p from a house in the local village.

If we were not exploring then the kids were in the field playing with each other or we were playing with them without a tablet phone or electronic game in sight. The kids were just kids and it was so wonderful to see. My six year old couldnít wait to finish his breakfast each morning to knock on for his friends in the morning. By the weekend there was a wonderful buzz on the field. More campers came with more children.

They all played wonderfully together which made the experience even more fantastic. I have always loved the great outdoors but as my family has grown I went out less and my husband likes his chair and his tv and heís a happy man so this was a big deal for us but we loved ever single day. Each day had an enjoyable quirk to it that has helped us make a wonderful memory that will last a lifetime.

If you want somewhere to disconnect from the world, reconnect with yourself, engage with your children without any tech and watching your kids be kids then this is the place for you. This holiday has been a total game changer for me, itís made me rethink how I spend my days. We have been bronzed by the sun and blasted by a huge downpour when my husband and oldest son was in Thorís cave and could even laugh about it when it happened.

What we really loved was the response from the kids when asked what they preferred. Tablet or run around in the field? It was a unanimous running round in a field response. Gill and Chris, your both amazing! Life is not about the amount of breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away.

Thank you so much for your recommendations and this opportunity, we canít wait to return.

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Octent 1 review from this member

This is a super basic site, but we've had some of the best times of our lives here. It's peaceful and set in beautiful countryside.

There's a bit of a slope on the field so sometimes the best spots are gone, but the drainage is brilliant and there are no stones in the ground. We can usually peg everything without the mallet.

Nearby are some lovely villages, there's a brilliant short walk to Wetton Mill and there's Peak Wildlife Park and Beaver Hall Equestrian Centre both a short drive away.

Our little one loves the freedom and the dogs adore it.

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jenchambers 1 review from this member

The farm owners are absolutely fantastic and very welcoming onto the farm and into the grounds. Within a day our 4 year old son was feeding lambs their milk, feeding the donkeys apples, collecting eggs from the hen house, watching the cows being milked and stroking the calves!

When following the directions given on this site just bear in mind it is left into the dead end and carry on until you see the sign for the camping field - not right as stated in the instructions - this isn't a dead end and ends up taking you to Grindon :)

The field is on a hill so there are limited flat spots, so if you do have a big tent its not for you really. Great spot to go out walking and the owners gave us loads of tips for places to go. We found a lovely 5 mile circular from a nearby village of Hartington which has a couple of lovely pubs and a local store selling loads of local produce including wines, coffee, pasties, bread etc. Even has a fish and chip van in the square on Fridays,

We had a lovely fire on the night and there are fire buckets to borrow and picnic benches in the field for you to use to eat outside with ease.

There's only one shower so there could be a queue if the site is busy but we had no problems and it was lovely and warm and powerful. Nice to have one you can adjust rather than just a push button! Could maybe do with a little more light in there as showering around dusk was tricky.

There are a couple of hook ups in a field across the farm yard - but not in the main camping field.

A really lovely place to go and kids absolutely love it - a very different experience for them!

Date of Visit: April 2017 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Ratty 195 reviews from this member

I stayed at this site for one night whilst in the area for walking.

I enquired by email and the owner came back to me very quickly with all the info I needed and I was told to just arrive and drive in to the field.

Upon arrival I struggled a bit to find the site as it is not signposted from the beginning of the farm track off the road, however I tried a lane and it came up trumps. I drove straight into the field as instructed and found a nice flat spot at the top of the field. The field is on quite a slope, however there are plenty of spots flat enough to pitch a tent or camper van on.

I strolled down to the farmhouse to introduce myself and met the owner. She showed me to the facilities block, offered me wood for the fire pit and told me about a few walks from the site.

I was charged £5 per person for the pitch and this included free use of the showers. The toilets and showers were clean, warm and perfectly usable and did the job.

I was allowed a campfire and they supplied the wood, however I am sure you could bring your own logs.

There are quite a few walks direct from the site and you can walk for miles.

The area has all that the Peaks has to offer within a short distance and is definitely a site I will back to time and time again.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Katealback 1 review from this member

Spent a fabulous week here with three children aged 6, 4 and 2. It was a very quiet site with only one or two other families on the field so plenty of space and privacy. The camping field is lovely, cows and young calves just the other side of the fence so the children loved being woken by the sound of cows and sheep.

There are three Donkeys on the farm and the farmers will bring them up to the field next to the tents when there are children staying. They gave me a head collar and lead rein so I could get the donkeys out for the children to ride and groom whenever I wanted.

It is a working dairy farm so by the end of our trip my 6 year old was running down to the milking barn by herself in the morning to help the farmer with the milking duties, bringing back fresh milk for breakfast each day. Super friendly farming family who are very welcoming of children and happy to let them join in the farm activities.

Toilets were always very clean and well lit, as was the shower, quite warm and just about powerful enough to wash long thick hair. They provide fire pits and loge are available for £2 per bags. They do not have the grill to put over the fire pit so you need to take your own.

Down sides - it is a 2 or thee minute walk down the lane from the camp field to the toilet and wash up block. The wash up area is pretty small so not great if there are lots of campers. There is one water tap at the bottom of the camping field which felt like a long way as we pitched furthest away from the gate. There is no shop locally, or cash point without driving into Leek or Ashbourne so go prepared.

A really fabulous trip with loads to do and see locally. Really recommend it.

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Tasha270588 1 review from this member

Lovely camp-site on a working farm. Lovely people gill will do anything to help. We as a family have visited about 6 times now and can not wait to go back my two boys aged 3 and 4 years absolutely love going to see the cows being milked and getting eggs from the chickens and stroking the donkeys and horses as well as playing with the dogs.

Lovely and peaceful no need to worry about the kids they can just run and play. And once it cools down at night a perfect end to the day is having a fire in the fire pits that are available. Facilities are kept spotless and more than enough for what is needed.

Lovely pub the Jervis arms not far from the site very friendly and a lovely day out down to manifold valley. All in all a brilliant break away. Would recommend to anyone.

Date of Visit: April 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: ALIBON 1 review from this member

On arrival we found the camping field was on a slope which we expected looking at previous reviews but we made our way to the top and found a level pitch. We had been told we could use electric hook up but after speaking to the owners it transpired that this pitch was quite close to the farmhouse and they had recently had a problem with a water leak near to it so we opted to stay in the main field and used our generator when necessary.

The views from our caravan were absolutely spectacular and for the time of year, we couldn't have had a better week in the sun, sitting outside for breakfast and around a campfire at night. There is a fair walk to the toilets and shower and on the way back to the field it is uphill. The facilities are basic but clean - 3 toilets and one shower plus a washing up area.

There are plenty of pubs in the local area which do nice meals but we had to drive to them - best value for money was the Manifold Inn for a liquid & snack lunch but we called in at the Black Lion in Butterton one evening and their food was lovely.

I suppose the Black Lion could be within walking distance from the campsite but my brother-in-law was suffering with his ankle so we opted for the car. There are also plenty of walks to choose from in the area.

The owners are very friendly and will sell you eggs and milk if required. At £10 per night, we will definitely be visiting this site again.

Previous     19 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Staffordshire

Win a £299 Clarke IG1200B Suitcase Generator! Win an Outwell Electric Barbecue Package worth over £205

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 6 to 7th July, Derbyshire