Visitor Reviews - Chapel Campsite

Campsite Search > UK > England > Central > Peak District & Derbyshire > Chapel En Le Frith > Chapel Campsite Reviews

Chapel Campsite
Station Road (off Long Lane)
Chapel En Le Frith
Derbyshire   (Browse area)
SK23 9UE

Open: March To Octoboer

No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 No Electric Hookups   No Hardstandings   No Fully Serviced Pitches   Show Full Facilities
 No Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   No Wifi Access
 No Fishing   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Horse Riding   No Cycle Hire   Golf 1 mile   No Tennis
 No Beach   Watersports 1 mile   No Boat Launch
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 1 mile  No Dog Walk

Reviews:

Date of Visit: May 2018 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Ramble2727 3 reviews from this member

I wouldn't go back to this campsite due to its close proximity to the railway line. Freight trains run regularly throughout the night and have to brake and stop at the signals creating lots of squeaking brakes.

There are 2 toilets in the female loos and 2 showers which were clean. Hot water ran out quickly but was free.

The owners live on the campsite in a caravan and in an adjacent storage container.

The reception area felt intimidating as the owners were smoking and drinking. No receipts were given and all payments were cash.

On the positives the field is pretty and full of buttercups. The surrounding area was nice and the campsite was in a good location for access to supermarkets etc. However the lack of sleep made it not ideal.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: ALEXXANDER 2 reviews from this member

Overall a nice site. Clean toilet and shower block. Mostly flat pitches. Only tents and no caravans on our visit. The campsite is besides a railway line but trains are infrequent. Also under the manchester airport flight path. Management very friendly and helpful. Walking distance from town (15 mins walk). A selection of hostelries and eateries are available there. Will return again.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Mrbaggio 13 reviews from this member

2 night stay

Location = Nice around the campsite. Location 10 minutes walk from village centre. Nice walks around the area. Easy to get too by car or 15 mins walk from train station

Facilities = Very clean toilets/sink. 1 Shower in men's and women's room(free to use). Also the owners have the heating on first thing in morning and late evening

Overall = Lovely campsite and friendly owners. My two girls spent time playing with owners children. Great for individuals, couples and families. Some good facilities for children. There is a freight railway line nearby and you do hear the odd passing train but overall we had a good time.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Claire6692 2 reviews from this member

Lovely campsite with a laid back atmosphere. Facilities were very clean. Town a short walk away with shops and pubs. Country side walks in the other direction. Owners were lovely and they gave us information about where to walk. They have a Shetland pony on site who is very friendly and loves people, named Jack.

The only down side to this site for some people may be the two train lines running either side of the site. You can only hear noise from one of these tracks but it might be a worry for people with children because they are both easily accessible.

Other than that this is a lovely site with friendly owners. Would definitely return.

Reviewer: Anon854hd 4 reviews from this member

The campsite itself has a freight line running along its boundary wall with trains running through the night, which was very noisy, it is also under the Manchester airport flight path with fairly frequent flights coming into land flying rather low and again rather noisy. I wouldn't describe it as a peaceful site.

The pricing structure is a single price regardless of number of people and size of tents etc, which I imagine works out well for large families or those with additional awnings and gazebos, but is very expensive for single campers or couples, further to this we were given a very small space as we only had a little tent, so it seemed appalling value for money.

The toilet/shower block is basic but fairly new and was almost always very clean. Unfortunately there was rarely any toilet paper, the soap ran out on the first day of our stay and was still not replaced when we left 4 days later, and the hot water for showers was ran out early each morning (and some evenings!)

The customer service left a lot to be desired. I booked, and when I rang to confirm the booking the week before we were going some of the details were incorrect so I corrected them and was told that I was lucky she was able to allow me to 'change my mind'. When we turned up things were again wrong, so I again corrected them and she got fairly annoyed that I was 'changing my mind again'. Although I had been pretty clear and consistent all along. It was clearly a busy weekend so perhaps they were overstretched/stressed, although unfortunately she did seem drunk a lot of the time, particularly in the afternoons, which if I had been camping with children I would have found quite difficult.

Location wise the site is great, in that it is near to many lovely parts of the peak, but also on the edge of the village so easy to walk to pubs etc and easy to get to a large supermarket for supplies, however the proximity to the railway and flight path as mentioned above are obviously big issues.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Starkeyadam 1 review from this member

Very friendly family run campsite. My brother and I was lucky enough to find such a great campsite over the bank holiday. It's within walking distance to Chapel town and a short drive to Buxton. There is a train station 150 metres up the road, which was perfect for us to pop into Buxton for the evening and if you wanted you could go the opposite way into Manchester. The site has clean and sufficient showers and toilets. It's a very spacious site with plenty of room for ball games ect, so perfect for families. Currently there is not many places for electricity, but I am sure in time to come there will be more. The family were always there to help, in any way possible. We will be returning, and will recommend to friends and family.

Reviewer: Cjprince1 2 reviews from this member

This is an absolutely perfect little campsite in Chapel En Le Frith.

Facilities - It's basic overall but does have a lovely new toilet/shower block with male and female toilets and shower cubicles. There is also a disabled toilet. They're well stocked with soap and loo rolls. I didn't see an elsan disposal point but to be fair I wasn't looking for one as we had a tent. There isn't a playground although my kids (age 9, 7 and 2) were quite happy making their own fun and swinging on a rope swing at the bottom end of the site.

Local Area - There's a lot of shops nearby including a big Morrison's. It's a couple of minutes down the road by car and I imagine it would be pretty easy to get to on foot or by bike as well. We also saw nearby bus stops so it looks like a pretty good location for those hiking or travelling without a car. There is a railway line to one side of the site which is elevated but to be honest it didn't bother us. We did hear a train at night but it doesn't seem to be an extremely busy line and quite honestly the kids enjoyed watching the trains go by when they did.

Price and general - We were charged £10 a night per adult and £5 a night for over 12s. Kids under 12 were free so we only had to pay for ourselves. I personally find £10 a night a little prices but it seems pretty average for local sites and I guess you get what you pay for.

It was pretty quiet when we visited which I think was down to it being a brand new site. There's a locking gate at the front entrance. The owners were very friendly. I called them to check what time would be too late for them as we were travelling quite a long way and they were extremely flexible.

All in all the perfect campsite for us, it's just a shame we couldn't have stayed longer.

The test for me is would I go back again, I'd say definitely yes!

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Derbyshire

Win a Buzz Quattro Tilting 4 Bike Carrier Win a Best of British Holiday worth up to £175!

UKCS Meet Tribfest Festival 15th to 18th August, E Yorks
The biggest tribute band music festival in the world! Use promo code “tribukcampsite” to save 10% on Weekend Camping Tickets! ...more