Visitor Reviews - The Castlefields Country Pub And Restaurant

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > Central > Herefordshire > Site Reviews

The Castlefields Country Pub And Restaurant

Waterside Location   Dog Walk   Public Transport <5 miles

Reviews:

Date of Visit: July 2017 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Taffpook49 1 review from this member

Out on my wifes birthday; car broke down managed to get to the caslefields Clifford, although the place was shut for private function a lady opened the door and I explained what happened. I was allowed to phone for help and use toilets and everyone there was extremely friendly. Thanks very much to you all. Be back up to try your meals if they are as good as your hospitality can't wait.

Date of Visit: September 2015 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: JonesJones 1 review from this member

Please note everyone has a different experience when travelling the following is an account of our experience only and others may have a different experience.

Okay. Arrived on a Sunday afternoon and was unsure if we were in a camp site or car park as all the pitches were full of over flow cars from the pub. Apparently there was a car rally eating in the pub and used the campsite as an overflow car park. Anyway a car was moved from a hard standing pitch and we set up camp. We did only pay for a grass pitch so I guess this was an upgrade of sorts.

Now this was fine and eventually by late afternoon most of the cars had gone but I wasn't so keen on a small camp site doubling up as a car park. If I had a young child like one of the other campers I would've been concerned for children's safety not to mention security issues. Management responded that this isn't normally an issue.

I asked the guy Scott when the restaurant finished serving food he said 8pm so at 7. 15 we headed to the restaurant. The young lady asked if we had booked, I said no we were camping on site she said booking closes at 7 on a Sunday but went to the kitchen and came back and said yes we could still have a table. The food was excellent and probably the best Sunday roast I've had in a long time.

My husband and decided as it was so popular we asked to book a table the following night, only to be told they were closed on Mondays and on this occasion all day Tuesday too.

We woke up Monday and cooked our own breakfast and the weather was perfect so putting aside our previous disappointments sat on the grass and enjoyed the sunshine and the peace, well for a while. The campsite maintenance started mowing the pitches followed by a farmer mowing the two adjacent fields. Now I must point out this was bad luck and I'm sure normally it's very peaceful we were just unlucky, they are not in control of the local farmers work so this should be taken into account. Anyway peace resumed at about 2. 30 on our one day two night stay.

We cooked our own dinner as the restaurant was closed although we were offered a taxi service to the local town.

We woke up had a shower in the block which was clean and the water was hot, very hot with no visible way of adjusting the temperature. I chatted to the on site people Neil and his wife who said the trick was to aim the shower at the wall so you don't get scalded, now I found it just bearable but if I had a young child then I fear it may be too hot for them. There were one shower and one toilet per sex and management say they never get busy so this isn't an issue. It wasn't for us as we were the only ones camping by now.

The site is well maintained with beautiful views, the food when open at the restaurant is excellent, I guess we were just unlucky.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Welshcamper100 12 reviews from this member

Stayed with a large family group, using static caravan and three pitches on site. Well kept site which suited our needs as a large group. However, toilets and showers not cleaned at all over weekend and no toilet paper or hot water available from late Saturday night.

I appreciate that the pub was very busy but if you are running a campsite this must have attention too. The pub staff were very friendly and Sunday lunch highly recommended.

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Lynzfitz 5 reviews from this member

Despite not being very summery weather, we have just enjoyed a lovely weekend break with family; they had the static van, we arrived with our tourer. Beautiful views, spotless facilities and a very welcoming pub/restaurant - warning - beware of the portions - they're HUGE! There were only 5 or 6 vans on so plenty of space, but think it may be a little cramped if full, especially if they all want to use the single ladies or men's toilet and shower cubicles. With serviced pitch and running water we used our own facilities, so not an issue. Great site, highly recommended, we will go back, certainly.

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Daddycool1 2 reviews from this member

Just returned from a 3 night stay. Lovely welcome, names on pitches and very helpful people. The pub is great, lots of real ales and probably the best pub meal we've ever had. For this reason, the pub is very popular and booking in advance would be wise.

The site is spotless, the pitches are level and water taps are at each pitch so can be connected to the aqua roll. Unfortunately, only one toilet and one shower each, this was awkward as the site was almost full. Good indoor washing up facilities. The site is in the middle of the countryside and we drove to Hereford, Hay on Wye and Ross on Wye so plenty to do.

The kids play area is not in sight from the caravan and is more like a beer garden for the pub. These are in no way negatives, the site is lovely and we will return for sure. I just recommended to a colleague who has booked up, look out for more reviews!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Herefordshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Atera STRADA DL 2 Tilting Bike Carrier worth 457.50 Win a 7 night holiday at Lee Valley Campsite, near London!

UKCS Meet Tribfest Festival 16th to 19th August, E Yorks
World's biggest tribute band festival. Family friendly. Discounted tickets and a chance to win some ...more