Visitor Reviews - Birchington Vale Holiday Park ( Park Holidays Uk)

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South East > Kent > Site Reviews

Birchington Vale Holiday Park ( Park Holidays Uk)
Formerly Two Chimneys Holiday Park
Shottendane Road
Birchington
Kent   (Browse area)
CT7 0HD

Statics for Hire   Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 Shop On Site   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   Wifi Access
 Fishing <5 miles   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool On Site   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <1 mile   Cycle Hire   Golf <5 miles   Tennis On Site
 Beach <5 miles   Watersports <5 miles   Boat Launch / Mooring
 Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   Dog Walk

Reviews:  110 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11

Date of Visit: October 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Palmerfamily 6 reviews from this member

Just returned from a 3 night stay, have been before as it is nice and local to us so easy for hubby to commute to and from work and leave us there. The site was known as two chimneys but now has been taken over by park holidays, I think this may be a good thing.

The toilets/showers are not pleasant, I tried one of the other shower blocks to see if it was any better, it was slightly in the fact that you had your own changing cubicle as opposed to the consumable area in the main block. , but it still wasn't clean, had no where to put your clothes and a push button shower that ran for a max of 5 seconds before shutting off and no matter what I did I couldn't get it warm, gave up in the end. The pool is ok for the kids as Is the crazy golf and amusements. We have never been in the bar or eaten from the restaurant. The new company plan to build a big entertainment complex including bars, restaurants and a bigger pool. To do this they are building where some of the statics go, moving those to part of the touring field and guess what. There will be less touring pitches, which have gone up from 9 to 19 a night in 2 years, they also charge a supplement of 3 per night for your awning, if I didn't have an awning I would still have been on same pitch, can't see the sense in that one. I am not sure if it's a good thing or not being taken over. The site has def gone downhill recently so can only hope that the money invested will improve things, and that Tourers will still be welcome. The office/ shop, staff are really friendly and helpful, never saw a cleaner the whole time we were there. There is a lifeguard at the pool which there wasn't before. The shop was almost empty but a sit closes end of this week can see why they running stock down. The crazy golf was 2. 50 for both my boys to play so not too expensive. We might go back next year when the work is completed to see what it's like but to be honest will probably drive out first and have a look round before we book.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Joelewes 8 reviews from this member

In 10 years of motor homing, this is the very first time I am forced to leave a negative review of a site.

It is split into 2 distinct parts - one for static homes and the other for the rest so that tents, motor homes and caravans are mixed together. Not necessarily a bad idea but when your motor home us surrounded by massive tents owned by large families who are also camping beside their friends then it's not so good. Of an evening, the average number of people sitting around each tent was well into double figures. They were all having a good time ( not a problem with that normally) but when they are still having a good time at 2 in the morning and their children are running riot around the campsite it's another kettle of fish! And when the kids start throwing raw eggs it gets even worse (yes, our brand new home was splattered with one). So, no points so far.

The facilities are less than adequate for the number of people using them and, if those same people don't respect them, they get even worse. The nearest block to us was permanently awash with water, toilet paper and other assorted rubbish. Very unpleasant. I just don't think that the managers could keep up with it all.

We did complain about the above and the management were very concerned as other people had also complained. Not their fault at all, but the warden who you should be able to contact with any problems at night was not picking up the 'phone so not much help there really.

It's impossible to vet people who book beforehand so we cannot blame the site owners.

What I would suggest is that they make some attempt to separate tents from motor homes and caravans if possible and also to revamp and increase the number of facilities for campers. We paid 88 for two nights but left without showers etc on the final day because of the state of the facilities.

The shop is less than adequate and given that Birchington is a good mile away it should be better stocked - and not with Happy Shopper goods. They are dire.

We didn't test the other facilities.

Birchington itself is OK and the beach at Minis Bay is good. Look for the Turneresque sunsets.

Would we go back to the site? No.

Reviewer: Slickmat 2 reviews from this member

Myself my wife and Two children stayed here for a week the toilets and shower blocks were kept very clean, we found going for a shower was hard as they were always very busy. The children loved the swimming pool. And the playground area me and my wife went over the club house a couple of times during the visit it was an ok atmosphere until on both occasions there was a big family of travlers took over the place and were very loud and noisy.

The down side to this place people let there kids go mental 24/7 to me that's just rude to other people camping

I might go back MIGHT ???

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Beaniesmum28 2 reviews from this member

Not a great experience :(

We stayed here for 1 night before catching a ferry from Dover.

The site was noisy, rowdy, and the fellow 'campers' were rude, ignorant and more interested in getting drunk and letting their children run riot until all hours.

The showers and toilets were a bit grim. The staff were friendly and helpful.

We had a return visit booked for when we got back off the ferry but we never went back, we couldn't face another night of loud music and children and no sleep.

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Lance54 5 reviews from this member

Picked this sight to give the caravan it's first run of the year. When arrived booked in with a friendly lady and was given the info about the site. Cannot fault this place, the bar staff were friendly and the resident warden joined me for a chat after he had finished his rounds, (enjoyed his company). The toilets were very clean and the site kept to a high standard. The other campers were all friendly and helpful. We took a trip to Broadstairs on the Saturday which I would highly recommend. This site feels spacious, has a friendly feel and is ideal for children. Looking forward to a return trip.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Little Green Bay 1 review from this member

A very lovely site. Took the family for a short break (Mon-Sat). The toilets and showers were cleaned often and were very good. The washing up area was very good. We had a great time and spent a lot of time on site. We only left the site once to go to the seaside which was 10 mins in a car. The kids loved the playground and the pool. The pool was quite small and got a little crowded but was good and clean. The shop sold all the basics and was very nice. The Diner is really a cafe but, the breakfasts were good and reasonable prices and there is a playground just outside which you can see from the windows so, grown ups can have a tea while the kids play. All in all a great site and we enjoyed our stay very much.

Reviewer: Renee299 2 reviews from this member

We have just returned from a two night stay at Two Chimneys.

I received a reasonably friendly welcome in reception. Other staff (in the shop and bar) were very friendly and helpful and the shop is quite well stocked with camping items that you might need, but only very basic food and essentials.

The ground is nice and flat and not too hard for pegs in most places.

We have stayed there before, but this time there was excessive noise, shouting and screaming into the early hours, so that was a bit annoying.

There was no hot water to wash up in the middle of the day. I feel that for the price we paid, hot water should be available all the time.

The showers and toilets were acceptably clean, but not enough showers for the number of guests. Maybe they should have invested in more shower blocks, before spending out on a golf course.

The kids liked the pool, but it was way too small for the number of guests. The play areas looked good, though I didn't get the grandchildren's' opinion on those, so can't comment any further.

There was more litter than I would expect to find on a campsite: cigarette ends, bottle caps, bits of broken tents and camping equipment etc.

The site is not far from our home and is convenient when the whole family (7 children plus spouses and 10 grandchildren) want to have a few days together, but I wouldn't want to spend too long there. There is no shelter from the wind, which some people can tolerate better than others. I hate it, so this site is not my first choice.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Dave and Wendy 26 reviews from this member

Five star holiday park !

1st our bad bits.

This was our 1st and last visit to this site, it would appear that this site has grown over the past few years. However the facilities have not been extended enough for the number of pitches only 4 small toilet/shower blocks for such a large site. We noted that some campers where using the drinking water points to wash their dishes etc leaving the ground very wet and soapy, this was reported but as said by Team arketa the reception staff received it with a luke warm response.

We also saw campers cleaning their teeth at the dish washing sinks, this we assumed was due to to not enough facilities.

No noise after 11. Pm and before 7am we were kept awake due to noisy campers and also woken at 6am due to noise.

And now the good bits.

A very nice new diner

This could be a great site as it's flat

Everywhere, our pitch was very large, our 2 grand

children loved the play areas and liked the kids club, but found the pool to be over crowded. The bar was a bit on the small side but ok, we have seen better.

One last winge, a first for us was getting a telephone call at 11. 20 on the departure day telling us that we should have vacated the pitch by 11am just as we were pulling of the pitch.

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Team arketa 2 reviews from this member

A disappointing stay.

We have been returning to this site as a group of mums and kids for the last 10 years. The site is well kept, the facilities are extensive and it has always been very well run.

However, the site has expanded with its success beyond it's capacity to cope. It has increased, perhaps by 50%, yet the pool has not, leading to periods of overcrowding.

There is now a sign outside the shower/toilet block suggesting users look elsewhere during busy periods. Not ideal with young children. (3 toilets and four showers for a huge field of pitches).

Night 1 and 2: We stayed whilst Quex Park had their Sound Island festival. This has been fine in the past, but this year we struggled with anti-social behaviour (to put it mildly). Some of us were kept awake until the early hours with shouting, swearing, and a punch up. The wardens appear to have done their best, but, as I told him I was clutching my phone wondering whether to dial 999 for police, he said 'it was only a domestic'. The reception staff received our complaints with a luke warm response.

I felt we were being a nuisance for raising our concerns, and was simply told that 'the party concerned had left the park'. Apparently the staff weren't going to accept responsibility by apologising.

Night 3: A good nights sleep we hoped. Except, at 6. 30am the diggers working on the golf course started up. The hours of quiet on site are 11pm-7am. When I bought the complaint to the reception staff I was met with a shrug, and told the contractors were nothing to do with the Camp Site. But the golf course is theirs.

It's been one of those breaks where management getting a grip, and offering support/apologies would have made all the difference. We know that it only takes one rowdy bunch of children or adults to spoil it for everyone, but the management's lack of response left us frustrated to say the least.

If they couldn't offer a solution for the rowdiness (other than to say it happens sometimes) they could have done for the contractors working for them at 6. 30am. I just think that by then they had us down as a load of moaning mums. Which is a shame, because we hadn't been for the 9 years previously.

I expect we'll go somewhere else next year.

Reviewer: Kbeat195 3 reviews from this member

We normally go to this site at least once a year for a week and stay in the Laburnum Grove. The site is usually very family friendly, tidy and well kept. This stay wasn't quite as planned. On several occasions there was excessive noise very late at night (after midnight). We found the new toilet block (installed last year) is already starting to fall apart, this was reported so may be fixed if your visiting (watch the floors). But by far the worse thing we found was the 'safety feature' they installed whilst we were camping. This was to enable the toilet and shower doors to be opened from the outside (and with your fingers no tools required - shown to me by my 8 year old) ! I raised this as a serious safety issue highlighting the obvious risks this could cause. We also reported the condition of the Laburnum Grove toilet block and the toilets by the pool, both were filthy and its seems to me there are far to few toilets and showers for the capacity of the fields. This meant waiting on several occasions.

Previous     110 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Save to Virtual Brochure  Add this Site to your Virtual Brochure                                Share  Google Plus  Email Link  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

Other sites within 10 miles   -    All Sites in Kent   -   Search for a site

Three sets of AutoSock Car Snow Socks to be won Win a Weeks Holiday at Stafford Moor Fishery

UKCS Meet Caravan, Camping & Motorhome Show 19th to 24th Feb, NEC
See the latest ranges of motorhomes, caravans, holiday homes, tents, awnings and accessories ...more