Visitor Reviews - Wild Duck Holiday Park (Haven Holidays)

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > East Anglia > Norfolk > Site Reviews

Wild Duck Holiday Park (Haven Holidays)
Howards Common
Belton
Great Yarmouth
Norfolk   (Browse area)
NR31 9NECheck Digital TV coverage    See Weather Forecast        Visit their website

Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 Families Welcome   Club Members Only   Rallies Welcome   Naturist Site
 Shop On Site   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   Wifi Access
 Fishing   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool On Site   Outdoor Pool On Site
 Horse Riding   Cycle Hire   Golf   Tennis
 Beach   Watersports   Boat Launch / Mooring
 Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   Dog Walk

Reviews:  102 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11

Date of Visit: October 2018 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Sonygeezer 7 reviews from this member

Well what can I say we booked for the month of October cost us 189 for a standard pitch with electric hook up price was for 6 people which included 6 fun passes which entitled you entry into the free daily and nightly entrainment and also the swimming pools.

All the staff were always friendly and Debby the touring/camping site warden is so helpful and always has time to pass the time of day with you.

The touring/camping site is close to all the amenities. The sitting duck pub restaurant serves food slightly expensive but not too over the and the food is good. The toilets and showers on the touring/campsite are cleaned regularly but could do with a upgrade but besides this it is a perfect site.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Babytanner 8 reviews from this member

We decided to stay at Haven Wild Duck, as regular Haven visitors we like the Haven set up for the kids. We have not stayed on this site before.

We booked a week for our family of 2 adults 3 children and 2 dogs in our Folding camper on an electric pitch. We stayed with another family making a larger group of 11.

Arriving at the site we were given a VERY warm welcome by the gate security by Big Alan. He was full of information and was extremely friendly. This was a wonderful start to the holiday and exactly what you should expect from a big holiday organisation like Haven.

Check in was quick and painless we quickly made our way to the camping touring area looking for the warden as directed.

At the touring area we waited and was quickly welcomed by Debbie in her speedy golf cart big friendly smiles very welcoming. She gave us the choice of of pitches to suit us and showed us to the pitch.

We settled in well set up on a level pitch slightly shaded by a tree with the slight feel of camping in the woods.

The pitches were well laid out and spacious. Although the site has the feeling of being big its actually not as big as you may think. There is one central toilet shower block with everything you need. I do feel this could be better mainly the showers that are starting to show age but work well and are clean and tidy.

There is a nice children's play area near the shower toilet block with the main path leading to the main entertainment complex area. There is the usual Haven set up bar restaurant swimming pool main show bar and amusements and a mini marked spar. Just behind this is the bike hire hut. This is a great activity for a sunny day its a bit pricey but we had great fun navigate through the middle of the park towards the ponds in the middle and take a moment to sit and watch the ducks and fountain its very nice and you can see why some statics are places with a balcony overlooking this area what a prime location on this site.

Its all within walking easy walking distance of the camping area and no trouble for two of our party who have walking disabilities.

We did have some issues in the Sitting Duck Restaurant with Breakfast one morning. Poor quality cooked food missing ordered food and generally poor overall on this one occasion which was all blamed on to a new chef in training. Everything was quickly rectified by the Female Team leader on the bar who took charge well and quickly took the failing staff members to task and fully refunded the meals for the whole party. Later in the stay we found out that one of our servers that performed very well had only been on the team for 4 days she was a credit to the team and looked after us the whole week when she saw us this more than make up for this once incident which we can now overlook.

The indoor pool is a nice size it is well managed and has good ample changing and locker facilities. There is a nice looking outdoor pool which we did not use this time as it was busy with the great weather and I wanted to build my sons swimming confidence in a quieter pool.

Knowing Haven I can see this park having a nice new show bar refit more in line with the Bradley and Rory theme they could do with a better look gift shop which my kids love to by all the flashy toy toys from which always break but I cant refuse them.

I can also see the amusements area could do with better machines and a bit of an upgrade but I'm sure this will be done haven are quite good at this.

This is a great site for the kids ideal for families.

Be aware that you will want to use some sort of insect repellent spray. I would also suggest you keep your fly sheet openings on tents etc closed as the biting insects can be quite challenging in the evenings if you like to sit out.

This is a very nice site and we will 100% be returning we have found this to be one of the best Haven site to stay at.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Madasdru 1 review from this member

Just returned from a mid week break and despite the weather, we had a fantastic time. When we arrived a very friendly member of staff offered us the chiose of 3 different pitches. We had an extra large pitch with electric hook up and there was plenty of room for our 12 man tent, people carrier and an outside seating area. Due to heavy rain we did get flooded out, but once it stopped raining the pitch was very porous and the puddles soon disappeared.

The site had everything we needed. A small spar shop selling everything we needed at the expected slightly higher price. A lovely warm indoor pool (although it was in my opinion slightly overcrowded ). A restaurant offering a good selection of food at a reasonable price (this was a little dirty, but once told tbe staff happily cleaned it up). A fish and chip shop that was a little bit pricey but this is to be expected on a camp site. The arcade was great fun and had plenty of variety for all ages. I only saw one show but that was great and the children loved it.

The toilet block was warm and clean, but there was only one hand drier and one socket for a hair drier. A room with 4 sinks is provided for dish washing and water was hot (always a bonus ). There is also a laundry room. All this is on the edge of the touring field and next to the play park.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Barrowcamper 8 reviews from this member

Fantastic site really friendly and helpful touring warden, toilets and shower block kept clean and tidy, could do with updating but does what it needs and clean. Pitches in a nice woodland setting and not on top of each other. Play area for kids at edge of touring site. Usual Haven activities on site. Bar/restaurant staff all really friendly and took time to chat with us.

Recommend a day trip to hire at boat on Broads.

Tesco Extra and Asda supermarkets at Great Yarmouth approx. 15/20 mins drive.

On site Spar not cheap but ok for odd items.

Would definitely recommend this Haven site as it is a lot smaller and quieter than most and really friendly.

Security staff often patrolling at night and on site entrance barrier during the daytime.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Marksarahandfamily 7 reviews from this member

Just returned from our 5th visit to this site, we love it here. Bargain price of 120 for 7 nights for 5 of us, including electric.

Toilet block always kept clean, push button showers nice and warm. Playground just next to our 'van, kids loved it.

Shop on site is basic and slightly overpriced but there's a Tesco Express about 5mins drive off the site.

Friendly warden always happy to help answer any questions.

Hire a boat on the Broads, you won't regret it.

We'll be back again next year, in fact we already booked!

Date of Visit: March 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Tynxuk 16 reviews from this member

We managed to book our pitch for a bargain price (51 for 5 nights) and were surprised the site wasn't fuller on arrival (definitely not a complaint).

The toilets & showers were always clean, laundry cost 6. 50 for standard wash size & 2 for the dryer which I thought expensive however as we got such a bargain on the pitch fee I treated myself to a load to save extra laundry once we got home.

We had hale, thunder and lightening on one day and got a bit concerned about how boggy the pitch got but it soon dried out once the rain stopped. The next day the winds got up and whistled well through the trees, there were a few windbreaks and a gazebo damaged by the winds (obviously not the sites fault) and as there were a lot of trees around a few branches fell that could have caused problems for some.

This was our second time here and we will return but maybe consider our pitch better when given the choice.

Reviewer: Team Noone 6 reviews from this member

This was our second visit to the site, as we loved it so much last year! Nothing had really changed, the staff were very friendly including the site warden in her golf buggy who was very patient as I took ages to decide which if the 5 pitches we would use!

Nothing had changed since last years visit. The entertainment staff were not as good as last year but still seemed to keep all the children transfixed most nights!

The fish n chip shop is very expensive (unless my missus actually just fleeced me), but reasonable food.

I thought the restaurant was also slightly over priced as the portions were a little small, but again reasonable standard.

We took our 4 and 2 year old with us. Unfortunately most of the campsite's activities are geared up for older children, there is not enough for the really little ones.

Toilets and showers were same as last year. Pretty clean and tidy. Each individual cubicle has a shore curtain that I am not particular keen on, but toilets always stocked with sops and tissue.

The indoor pool was a little cold so we used the outdoor pool instead. This is a lovely modern pool, but needed another toilet and shower or 2.

We had an awful week's weather, and we were lucky not have been flooded out.

Fortunately the site is only about 6 miles from several large supermarkets and electrical stores so the 20 electric heater we had to buy on day 3 was a godsend!

Overall I would say this is a great site, plenty of facilities which are clean. Slightly pricey and more suitable for kids aged 8+

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Hobo-Joe 1 review from this member

Just back from our first visit to this site, and after reading some reviews I thought I'd leave my own :)

We went in a tent for 3 nights for a price of 47. I went with my Wife, our 4 kids and a friend who's a seasoned camper.

From the moment we got there, and throughout our stay, the staff on site were always friendly and extremely helpful.

We pitched up by a small wooded area, play park and the toilet/shower block. The area we got did seem very hard to pitch on. We bent numerous pegs whilst putting the tent up, and had to shift the positioning of the tent a couple of times. It was pretty uneven and had a lot of muddy patches which made for a dirty tent. We also had huge thunderstorms each night too (which was amazing!) But it meant our pitch had numerous large puddles on it. By hey. Its camping :)

The toilet/shower facilities were generally very clean and always stocked with toilet paper. The water was always hot but there was always a slight smell of 'egg water' in the showers. But maybe that was to do with the hot days. Not a huge issue. I did use the launderette once. And it was pretty pricey. A standard was being 6 and the tumble dryer 2. Luckily a member of staff gave us some soap powder to use, which I was very grateful for.

We ate at the chip shop a couple of times, prices slightly higher than your local one, but fairly good non the less. We took the kids to a couple of live shows, cheesy as they are they were entertaining and the kids loved them. The live singers were vocally very talented. The arcade on site was bigger than expected, and kept the kids entertained a few times during the stay and quickly made my wallet lighter! Lol We never used the Sitting Duck, looked in briefly and it looked nice enough.

The Spar shop as expected sold basic/essential bits and bobs at slightly high prices. We always stock up before we go places anyway and use the one site shop for treats/bits we missed. Don't expected to be able to buy all the bits you need to eat for your stay from there. If you need to stock up, take a quick drive to Yarmouth and use the Tesco/Asda etc there.

We used the swimming pool couple of times and the kids enjoyed it. The only think will say is we were disappointed with the opening/closing times of the pools and on site shop. The pools opened at 10am, the shop at 9am. So its a bit of a chore to wait for a morning swim or packet of cigarettes. The pools closed at 5 and 6 pm and I found out the shop closed at 8pm. After I went to buy some bits I needed just after 8pm.

Would be nice if they opened a little earlier and stayed open slightly later.

The play parks were good and my kids played in them for hours whilst we were on site. The only draw back of the play park is that after dark a group of around 15-20 teenagers gathered there. And would be noisy etc till 2 ish. I have young kids and I was concerned about them being woken up ( as the Sitting Duck was playing loud music quite late too ).

People may also find the teenage groups intimidating as you have to walk past/near it to go to the toilet block, so a number of times I had to accompany my kids and Wife to the toilets/showers so that they felt safer. I don't think that it's an issue with the site per se, but maybe the teenagers parents need to let them know they should respect the other campers, keep their voices down and behaviour in check etc There was also the noise of people leaving the Sitting Duck late. But that's to be expected.

One thing I really like about the place, was that unlike say Centre Parcs, everything here was only a short walking distance away. Even the Nature trails etc are a short walk away and no too long so that the kids can get their and enjoy things without getting tired/bored too quickly.

Overall we really enjoyed our visit. We unfortunately had to leave early as on our second night my eldest Daughter (prob due to all the junk food and excitement) coated most of the inside of the tent with vomit!

We would probably go again, but at a similar time of year. Going by some reviews Ive read here I would probably pass on peek seasons.

Its a nice site, excellent and friendly staff and everything is in close walking distance. There is also a lot to do in that area so is perfect for families :)

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Acrewood 2 reviews from this member

Stayed at Wild Duck for 8 nights on the touring field.

Site is lovely and cleaner than other Haven sites we have stayed at ( and we have been to many).

Liked

* Was allowed to choose our pitch for our stay and warden even took my husband around on his cart to show him some of the available pitches.

* Site, Toilets and showers always clean

* Lovely base to visit surrounds villages and attractions - Model Village in Great Yarmouth, Shopping Norfolk and not forgetting the great Norfolk Broads, where hiring a day boat or even going on one of the broad tours is a must ( to name just a few )

* Touring field wasn't far from the entertainment complex.

* Lovely woodland walk on site, great to take dogs too.

* Haven staff very friendly.

* Outdoor swimming pool was open, even though the sun wasn't shining.

Disliked

* Staff in the sitting duck allowing holidaymakers to eat their chips bought from the on site chippy and drink cans that were not bought from the pub, when me and my husband ate in there on a few occasions and each time paid the menu price for meals. Although I am sure this isn't permitted normally not one member of staff questioned or approached those offending except to tidy their tables.

* Entertainment and the sitting duck pub closed early during the week with security calling last orders at 10:15.

* Hard to imagine I know but we had some bad weather, the ground is not good in rain, we were one of the more fortunate ones and weren't flooded out in our tent but I did ' bail out ' 5 buckets of water from my tents front canopy after just one morning of heavy downpour.

* Onsite shop not very well equipped, not a great choice but ok if only needing a loaf of bread or other basic food.

Had a great time and would possibly return to this site in the future, shame its so far away from us, 7 1/2 hours drive, and that we chose this site on the hope for lovely weather due to living in a part of the country where sun is rare ( Lake District ) but infact on this occasion the weather was better at home lol. ( of course this isn't Haven's fault )

Well done Wild Duck.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Marksarahandfamily 7 reviews from this member

We have travelled down to Wild Duck four years in a row now, each year staying on the camping and caravan area. We love it here and will be booking to return later this year. It's a strange place to find right in the middle of a housing estate but don't let that put you off. Entertainment is great and food in the Sitting Duck was lovely. The beer wasn't badly priced either! There is loads to do for the children both on and off site. Free wifi in the restaurant was an added bonus. We have seen lots of changes to this park over the years and all for the better. Keep up the good work all!

Previous     102 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Norfolk

Win a Broadlands 5A Inflatable Tent Bundle worth over 885 Win an OLPRO Shade Campervan Canopy worth 119

UKCS Meet The VolksWorld Show 23rd to 24th March, Surrey