Reviews of Grasmere Caravan Park

Campsite Search > UK > England > East Anglia > Norfolk > Great Yarmouth > Grasmere Caravan Park Reviews

Grasmere Caravan Park
NR30 5DH
Tel: 01493 720382

Open: April To October

No Tents   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   No Glamping Units
 Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 No Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   No Wifi Access
 No Fishing   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   No Dog Walk

Reviews:  15 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

To find out if we're taking bookings please contact us

Date of Visit: September 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Opal0313 26 reviews from this member

Lovely peaceful site. We spent 3 nights here. Nothing on site but toilet/shower block, small children's playground, statics in another area. Lovely friendly staff. Ideal location for us in Caister-on-Sea. Everything within mins of walking distance pubs, beach, bakers, butchers, takeaways supermarkets etc. Lot's to do in area Great Yarmouth, Norfolk Broads, Beach walks etc. New toilet/shower block added to the existing old block which are shower suites in the new block that are heated as the old block isn't. Was shown on arrival by the owner who was lovely man where everything was and was given a choice of pitch. Took us 1hr to walk to Great Yarmouth centre via the beach way. The only criticism we have is we didn't see the toilet/shower blocks cleaned once. There was some soap spillage on one of the sinks in one of the shower suits when we arrived and it was still there the morning we left so we assume they had not been cleaned. Apart from that we had a lovely time and this is one site we would definitely return to soon.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Cgom2 2 reviews from this member

A lovely quiet site, easy to find, suitable for our needs, friendly owner, site clean and tidy, toilets and showers clean, easy access for visits to great Yarmouth etc and a enjoyable break. Will book again.

Date of Visit: April 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Robbo60 1 review from this member

Just had a week at Grasmere and was very impressed with the new toilet block. The toilet/shower rooms are very roomy and well laid out with a toilet, handbasin and shower. The owner has gone to a lot of trouble and expense to vastly improve the facilities and has done an excellent job with the exception of a couple of things which are the 2 unisex units, which I don't see point of, and the push button locks on the doors.

Overall the new and existing toilets are a vast improvement to last season and will be even better next season when the existing toilet block is modernised.

I do feel a bit sorry for the owner as he has spent all this winter creating facilities that customers have been requesting and complaining about for years only for some dirty visitors to use the toilets and walk out without flushing afterwards. Do people carry on like this at home as we certainly don't so I think those responsible should treat these facilities as if they were at home.

Well done Mr Peers.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: KayAtter529 1 review from this member

We stayed at Grasmere for the weekend with our 2 children aged 6 and 2. We got to the site very late as we had, had car troubles and had to change vehicles half way through our journey. The owner came and met us and was very kind and sympathetic. He asked us if we had a preference to where we would like to park, and showed us to our pitch. Which was a lovely level pitch. He helped my husband park up and made sure we had everything we needed, he told us where the toilet/shower block was and the office if we needed anything.

In the day light we could see how well maintained and clean the site was, and how spacious the pitches are.

The shower/toilet blocks were very clean and well stocked. I had a conversation with him on his plans to re-new this area and I will look forward to coming back and seeing the finished results.

The play area although basic is all children really need, my two were very happy to play for a long time. There are 2 swings, a see-saw, a climber and slide.

Caister is a lovely town, with a great Fish and Chip shop, shop and a good choice of take aways. We visited Caister Castle Car Museum which I highly recommend.

Great Yarmouth is just down the road so very handy for a almost 2 in 1 holiday!

All in all our stay was relaxing, peaceful, great for nature watching and everything you would expect on a caravan holiday, we look forward to coming back to Grasmere for a few weekends in 2016.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Greasychipbutty 9 reviews from this member

I camped at the site with the wife and 2 grandchildren aged 10 and 5 towards the end of July.

On arrival at the site we were greeted by the owner who gave us the option to pick our own pitch, and then helped us position onto the pitch.

We picked a pitch very close to the little park area with a few swings, slide and seesaw which came in very handy.

The site was quite flat with level pitches.

All the pitches were fully serviced including tv point, and each had a dustbin,

We found the site to be tidy with grass cut on a regular basis

The showers were by token (25p each) a bit aged, but always clean as were the toilets, and very usable. The water at the sinks and pot wash was always hot unlike at a lot of sites.

I was informed by the owner he is updating the shower block next year.

It is situated right in the heart of the village with a few pubs several takeaways and shops

The beach is about a 10 minute walk away

Although the village is not really a traditional seaside place, it is a great base with Great Yarmouth 2. 5 miles away one side and Hemsby 3 miles away the other.

We found the site to be very quiet and relaxing.

On Sundays its Bomber car racing and due to being Quite close to Yarmouth Stadium you can hear the cars, but that did not really bother us.

We enjoyed our stay despite poor weather and would go again.

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Carol Jean 35 reviews from this member

We spent 3 nights at this site. Long story but we hadn’t booked and had just followed campsite signs. When we arrived the first thing that struck me was the man at reception wearing a crumpled shirt that appeared to have spatterings of what looked like blood on! That was the owner and he lived next door so I am not sure why he couldn’t have changed his shirt! He was a friendly easygoing man but I am sorry to say that it was obvious that he wasn’t prepared to spend a penny on the site and took no pride in it whatsoever. We never saw any staff working there apart from him who just stayed in reception or his house. The field had had a pebbled drive and hardstandings at one time but they were half grown over with grass and weeds. The grass round the edge of the site was 2 to 3 foot high as it was also around each little tree and around one of the caravans that may have been there a while. Each pitch had its own water tap which was handy but it also had a dustbin so all the dustbins were rather unsightly. There were no flowering plants or shrubs and no play areas for children. The shower block was ancient. Where you stood under the shower the floor was tiled but the bit where you stepped out on to was a stone floor and I couldn’t tell if it was dirty or not but it probably was!. There were cobwebs and dirt on every surface and round the windows and ceiling and the soap trays in the shower cubicles were ingrained with dirt. The toilet floors had not been swept out. Before we left I went and asked him when the showers were cleaned. He looked embarrassed and said At the end of the week. I said Don’t they get cleaned every day and he said he inspected the block every day but they got “a thorough clean once a week”. I showed him the dirt and he said he “would point it out to him “ (the cleaner). He said that there was going to be a new showerblock at some point soon and I said “But it will still have to be cleaned”. When I think what lovely campsites we have been to –with fresh flowers in the washrooms and tubs of flowering plants in the grounds –it didn’t seem fair that he was charging around the same amount and not maintaining it in any way.
Management response: We're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. We feel these criticisms are exaggerated.

Our shower block is ancient and being replaced next year (2016), it is cleaner than it appears it is just aged. Any customer is welcome to inspect the facilities on arrival before paying any money.

Our pitches are designed for practicality and convenience with bins, water tap and electric and we do have a play park at the back of the site.

We are a small family business running a touring park, static park and chalet park, so staff are not concentrated in one area.

ps. After much nagging from my daughters and now this review I have been persuaded that my woodstained shirt must be disposed of... Perhaps I should listen to them more often!

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Jlpbriggs 1 review from this member

We visited this site the other year and found just as described by Don on his website an to me I take my hat off to him. We had a great 2 week there and Don was very helpful and obliging, the sight was clean good standing point for caravan. Don did manage to put me close to the park so children could play and we were a stones throw away which was relaxing for us too, it also a safe environment for them. The only reason we didn't book last year because some friends of our booked us into PARK RESORTS @ Skipsea. O-No. Never again overpriced for glorified gypsy site. But booked a good site for this year and that's is what I call Don's place, that being GRASMERE at Yarmouth. I believe the showers/toilet block have been modified so that's a bonus, everything is a walk away also a bus route into Yarmouth which is great when your a driver for a living. So any bad review just read it carefully and possibly judge them because I guess nothing would be good enough for them, after all they must of looked at the website ! Can't wait to get there for a nice time with no stupid rabbit with the big feet running around the site entertaining the kids and enticing down to a overpriced club house with watered down alcohol. Keep it Don it's a credit to you

See ya soon

Jason an Lisa

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Daisydaisy 22 reviews from this member

Just returned from 3 nights at this site.

First the positives.

Owner very obliging, you can come when you want and leave when you want, no time restriction.

Site is quiet and no dogs allowed so no mess around.

Site level

Get your own service pitch

Television point

Only £15 per night which is cheap as it is near the sea.

The negatives

Service pitch, broken brickwork and water only trickling out of tap

Place has an air of dilapidation about it

Shower block is well over due for a refit.

Dirt and dust in corner of shower and not removed during my stay. Also bar of soap in gully which also stayed there for duration of my stay.

Hot water for shower by token so you are panicking it is going to run out before you have finished shower.

All in all, we only stayed for 3 nights and it was adequate for that amount of time. I wouldn't return though because it wasn't really good enough for what you get to expect of campsites.

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: JawsMC 3 reviews from this member

Just spent a really pleasant weekend at this site.

On the plus side was each pitch has its own tap, tv outlet and of course hook up ( 16amp ).

Also on the plus side was the toilets and showers. Yes, they are a little old fashioned but they are spotlessly clean, soap in dispensers, paper where it should be and well looked after.

In fact the only downside is the owner seems to suffer from phantom guests ! :-)

After we set up, got the awning up etc etc, we were told sorry, cannot use that pitch as it was already occupied by a motorhome that had 'popped out'. Well it must have been a hellova pop 'cos they never returned, and speaking to the people on the pitch beside it they said no one had been there either.

No idea why we were asked to move but it did put a slight downer on the first day we were there.

Simple answer it to double check ( as we should have done to be fair ) that the pitch you are going to use ( we were told 'anywhere at this time of year' )is def available.

For this reason I have only awarded 7 stars for customer service, which may or may not be unfair. If the couple in the next pitch had not told us no one had been there then I would have award a full 10 stars, but someone somewhere was telling porkies

Seriously though, if I was being super picky I would have to mention the elsan point.

Nothing wrong with it as such, but the water we all use for cleaning the cassette out is fed from a big tank on the roof.

More or less no pressure to speak of and it took an age to rinse the cassette properly.

On site security seemed very good. Behind the boundary fences on the sides that were open to fields a deep ditch has been dug that has water in it. Very child safe as it is, as mentioned beyond the boundary fence but it would take a VERY determined 'scrote' to try and get on the site via that side. And there is a security camera set up watching the only other point of access.

Surrounding area

Amazing amount of takeaways within walking distance, and only a few hundred yards from a Tesco superstore should you need to 'shop'

On Sunday we went to the Castle Carvery for lunch. Reasonably priced and less than 1/2 mile from the site ( it is at NR30 5JN )

All in all a site I would be very happy to recommend with good, clean, amenities, and very friendly staff.

Date of Visit: October 2012 Unit:  Static
Reviewer: Katymac 8 reviews from this member

This site offers excellent value for money, prices are significantly cheaper than other sites for a static, even during the school holiday. The site is basic but the static caravans are very clean and the owner leaves you a pint of milk, tea bags, coffee and some biscuits for arrival. The site is close to local shops, and near to a bus stop which will take you into Great Yarmouth. Yarmouth is an easy drive, cycle or bus journey. This is a good base for exploring this part of Norfolk.

Previous     15 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Is Grasmere Caravan Park child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Grasmere Caravan Park?  There is a shop within 1 mile  View all facilities

Is Grasmere Caravan Park dog friendly?  NO  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Great Yarmouth      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Norfolk

UKCS Meet Camping Exhibition, Wokingham 26/06 to 26/07
Approximately 100 different tents on display, and a range of camping accessories ...more