Reviews of Glen Trothy Caravan And Camping Park

Campsite Search > UK > Wales > Monmouthshire > Monmouth > Glen Trothy Caravan And Camping Park Reviews

Glen Trothy Caravan And Camping Park
Mitchel Troy
Monmouth
Monmouthshire   (Browse area)
NP25 4BD
Check Digital TV coverage    See Weather Forecast

Open: 01/03/2021 to 31/10/2021

Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point   No Wifi Access
 Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant or Cafe or Takeaway <1 mile
 Fishing On Site   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   No Dog Walk

Reviews:  41 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Date of Visit: August 2020 Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Group
Reviewer: Alr222 1 review from this member

The campsite is fairly small with mostly caravan and electric hook up tent pitches. Unfortunately if you arenít on an electric hook up pitch you are sent to the forgotten about field at the end of the site.

The field is very muddy with big car tyre rugs due to the access road stopping at the edge of the field. The tap in the field doesnít work and it is where all the dog owners take their dogs to go to the toilet. I can completely understand you canít control the weather but some mitigation could be put in place to prevent the swamp like entrance to the field, such as an access track or putting hay down in the worst sections

The positives though - the owners were very friendly and the shower block was extremely clean. Bit disappointing to have to pay for showers but we knew this at time of booking and were still happy to go ahead.

I would visit the site again but I would request one of the electric hook up pitches so I could avoid being in the forgotten about field at the end!

Date of Visit: August 2020 Unit:  Motorhome
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Harryajh 15 reviews from this member

Stayed here several times years but our most recent stay will be our last. The site used to be a bit shabby but a friendly Gypsy family took over the site a few years back and put a lot of money into the site and made some major improvements.

We expected a small'ish price increase but they've jumped up considerably, i. E. A hard standing pitch this August is £30, next year, it's an eye-watering £35 and you still have to pay for the Showers!.

The site is clean and tidy but a bit out of the way, roughly 1. 5 miles walk to Monmouth and no buses. The Kids facilities look really good as well but for us as a couple, it's just too expensive. As a side note, we thought the usual friendliness of the site had changed, there are signs everywhere stating you can't do this or that, didn't used to be like that, was far more laid back and enjoyable!

Date of Visit: August 2018 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Lloydda 4 reviews from this member

We stayed here just for the weekend and it is fair to say they are placing a lot of investment into this site.

We used a fully serviced pitch and they have created a patio type area where your Awning would normally go, great idea for me using it just for the week end, but you may want to choose your pitch accordingly if you have an awning.

Plenty of area in the middle for kids to play and there is a play park for them, a good safe area for them to play.

Other reviews have mentioned the road which you can hear, but it does quieten down in the evenings.

The owner is very welcoming and helpful, he came to sweep my patio area as I arrived, the biggest character has to be the Parrot who does impression of a lorry reversing and an emergency vehicle siren.

There are some seasonal pitches there whereby those staying have taken a lot of time and pride in setting up their pitch. The people in staying where great and easy to get on with, a very pleasant feel about the site.

There is nothing in walking distance, the nearest establishment is a pub down the road, but a bit far to walk in my opinion. A car is therefore essential, not just to get your caravan there but also to get any supplies. With a car you are minutes away from Abergavenny, Raglan, Monmouth and the Forest of Dean.

Yes I would stay again and I cannot think of anything I would improve, maybe teach the parrot a new sound.

Well done to the new owner for the latest investment to bring this site to the standard it is today.

Date of Visit: May 2018 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Countrycruisers 12 reviews from this member

We stayed on this site with a large group of friends for the early May bank holiday, we occupied most of the field site beyond the toilet block, the weather was fab not a drop of rain all weekend that made the ground nice and dry.

The facilities were not the best the shower space is quite small, the ladies shower started as soon as you put your money in the meter, not allowing you time to get changed and getting wet clothes in the process, toilets were cleaned once a day.

The site is mainly seasonal pitches on hardstanding, it is a pleasant site, we may come back for an odd weekend, but this site wouldn't be top of the list. Prices are not to bad £18 PN with elec

Date of Visit: May 2018 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Dibden2015 8 reviews from this member

The site seems to be mainly organised for seasonal pitches. They are all around the outside and very well maintained, unfortunately that means that they have plant ots and fences right up to the access road making manoeuvring onto the pitches very difficult. Hard standing is two concrete slabs with 6ft of grass to drive over to access it. Then patio slabs where your awning goes ( how are you meant to peg down the awning?)

Toilets are reasonable but, due to the number of people on site and slight damp conditions, the floors were covered in mud. Maybe cleaning twice a day on busy periods could help. Showers are on meters, outside the cubicles. Seems penny pinching. Once started there's no control of temp and if you run out of time it's a walk to the meter.

Never once got warm water from the taps.

I'm aware this is a negative review. For the seasonal pitches I'm sure this is a very good site. It's lacking on the touring side.

Date of Visit: June 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Lynne 59 1 review from this member

Lovely site. Owners very helpful. Returning in july. Facilities easy to get. Really well kept. Pretty site. Plenty of room for the grandchildren. Easy camp site to get to. Not far to Monmouth town. Looking forward to the next weekend

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Regular camper 5 reviews from this member

Just returned from a long weekend at this site. We found the facilities were very clean and spacious. Water was hot with soap dispensers and hand dryers. Flat campers field and wherever you camp would be close to facilities.

Site owners very friendly and helpful. Look forward to a return visit.

Monmouth 1. 5 miles away with plenty of places to eat and drink. Has a Waitrose and Budgens.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Davefeb72 1 review from this member

I returned to the Glen Trothy Caravan site and was met with the news that the site was now being run by a new management team. What a difference there is to the place already. A much happier atmosphere and easier rules to live with. Already there are more tents and caravans starting to come back regularly as this is such a lovely site situated in a really good location. I definitely will be using this site more often now that things have changed for the better.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Rodz1300 2 reviews from this member

My wife, 2 small children and I had booked Geln Trothy as part of a group of family and friends meeting for a surprise 40th Birthday for one of our group. It was the half term week and due to not being able to book the full week off work we had planned that I would leave after the first night and go to work in Southampton to return Friday evening. Consequently we arrived in 2 cars, me towing the van and my wife in her car with the gear and the kids ( who by this time both needed the toilet. ) We pulled up to be greeted by a very rude man who cut my wife dead to bark that she needed to back up. I got out of the car, thinking there had been some misunderstanding, perhaps we were at the wrong site? to explain that we were booked and were checking in, he responded that I was in the wrong place and needed to back up and around the steep entrance ramp to a small sign obscured in the bushes that apparently denoted the point that new arrivals needed to wait and not pass!. He then went on to tell us that ' you ' ( to my wife)' will have to wait outside until he (me) has sited the van and left the site.

My wife explained that we had 2 small children who needed the toilet. A concession was made and they were marched around the back of the reception building to the shower block. While my wife was in the toilet with the kids I was asked what time I was leaving for work in the morning as the gate was locked from 2400 until 0800 and could theretofore not use the small carpark ( £5 per night ) between the inner and outer barrier but would have to park in the church carpark 200 yards down the road for which a £2 'charity donation' would be levied' I demured, explaining my intention to park on the public road.

My wife came back from booking in, sporting an A5 folded booklet of rules and regulations and being told that they were their rules and we must abide or leave without refund.

We met with the rest of our group and it was explained why the group had been sited with 2 pitches left vacant and therefore separating the 5 vans of the party. Apparently they needed to keep an eye on the water tap that was sited between our pitches and therefore we needed to keep those pitches clear. It is fair to say that despite the site being devoid of other tourers and the camping fields being empty ( half term?) and the seasonal pitches being arranged around the edges, it would have appeared that there was a suitable area on the other side of the central green that we could have all pitched together. When asked about this area we were told that those pitches were reserved for 'foreigners'. I left for work early the next day.

I returned on the Friday at 1900, parked in the small car-park between the inner and outer barriers and joined my family who had been waiting for me to arrive before eating. As my wife was dishing up the fish and chips for the kids on the bench outside, the second in command came shouting in my caravan door ( whilst I was changing) asking me if it was my car parked in the car-park, I said yes but her attention was caught by a small twig on the ground outside my van. I was interrogated about its provenance and explained that I did not know as I had just arrived from work. It was pointed out to me that it was 'quite sappy' and must have been ripped from one of the many shrubs around the camp.

Back to the car, I was advised that it would be a £10 charge for parking my car for the remaining 2 nights of our stay, I explained that I did not have the cash but as I was paid until Sunday and had left a £10 cash deposit for the barrier card I did not see it as being too much of a problem and once I had had something to eat would sort it out. Despite the fact that my wife was feeding our 2 small children she was told that she must borrow the £10 from someone now or my car would be clamped. This was a bit too much for me and I lost my cool somewhat and marched purposefully to confront the the owner. When I reached my car I was greeted with his standing in his garden shouting at me ' who do you think you are' I went on to explain that I was a paying customer who was being abused for no good reason. We than had a brief but forthright exchange of views about the legalities of clamping a car (even on private property) without due notice and what the result of such an act would mean for his clamp and exactly where said clamp would be inserted. I was then advised again about the church carpark but again said I would be parking on the public road to which I was told he would be calling the police. Again a brief exchange of views about the legalities of parking on a public road that is not a clearway or double yellow lines.

We left as early as possible on the Sunday Morning. I went into the house to return my barrier pass and collect my deposit. Before anything could be said about possible fines for minor infringements and 'charitable donations ' I made it clear that my deposit paid was specific for a barrier pass, that I was returning, and that I would not be making any 'charitable donations'.

In fairness the site is lovely, well kept and the facilities are clean. There is a great little play area in the middle of the main field that children can use safely and in view of their parents. I don't even disagree with many of the rules. We do keep our children under control and are considerate of other caravaners wherever we are. The seasonal campers were lovely. However, there is no excuse for the extremely rude and contemptuous way that my family and I were treated during our stay.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Clarkellp 6 reviews from this member

The lady owner was quite friendly and helpful, but there are lots of rules to follow! The site is flat and quite well laid out but while the facilities are clean, they are very dated and would benefit from a re-fit. The area at the back of reception was an eye-sore and really needs a tidy. The main road is noisy from early morning, so no late lie in! Monmouth was lovely, nice river side and interesting shops, so well-worth a visit.

Previous     41 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Is Glen Trothy Caravan And Camping Park child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Glen Trothy Caravan And Camping Park?  There is a shop within 1 mile  View all facilities

Is Glen Trothy Caravan And Camping Park dog friendly?  NO  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Monmouth      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Monmouthshire

UKCS Meet Truckfest W Midlands and Wales 03/07 to 04/07
Exciting family entertainment with weekend camping ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2021