Visitor Reviews - Martello Beach Holiday Park (park Holidays Uk)

Campsite Search > UK > England > South East > Essex > Clacton On Sea > Martello Beach Holiday Park (park Holidays Uk) Reviews

Martello Beach Holiday Park (park Holidays Uk)
Belsize Avenue
Jaywick
Clacton On Sea
Essex   (Browse area)
CO15 2LF
Tel: 01255 442430  or  0343 178 7070

Special Offer available to UKCampsite.co.uk visitors - see here

Open: 15/03 To 03/11

Statics for Hire   Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge    Motorhome Point
 Shop <5 miles   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   Wifi Access
 Fishing 1 mile   Wild Swimming On Site   Indoor Pool On Site   Outdoor Pool On Site
 Horse Riding 1 mile   No Cycle Hire   Golf 5 miles   Tennis On Site
 Beach On Site   Watersports 1 mile   No Boat Launch
 Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Not Open All Year
 Coastside Pitches   Public Transport   No Dog Walk

Reviews:  62 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7

Date of Visit: September 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Oldcodgers 21 reviews from this member

Apart from saying there was plenty of space not much else good I could say about this site.

On arrival given minimum information and told to find a site anywhere in the touring field. This was a large area about space for 100 caravans, very uneven and unkept. One toilet block which was

Dirty, insufficient facilities if the site was full. Only one water tap with press button, unable to connect a hose. The elsan disposal had no hose to wash the toilet out. We thought the site had direct access to the beach, you have to leave via the main gate to reach the beach which was very stoney. Altogether not a good experience. They appear to have spent a lot of money on the entertainment area which looks really nice, pity they haven't smartend up the rest of the area which is looking very tired. Jaywick. Is very rundown, short distance by car to Clacton which was really nice, gardens and plenty of space to use a mobility scooter. The town centre has been modernised and looked really good with plenty of seating. The Toby carvery was excellent, polite helpful staff, food was good at a reasonable price. Would visit Clacton again but not this site.

Date of Visit: October 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Mitch1973 1 review from this member

Lovely place, near a wonderful beach with a nice free and quiet space to do whatever you want as long as don't bother the others. The staff is extremely kind and helpful in every problem you can have. So, for as, was perfect. Thanks a lot for everything :)

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Manphill 3 reviews from this member

I love this site. Always take a booking at short notice, as its massive. Facilities are clean and tidy, and the staff are always happy, helpful and accommodating. The children's entertainment is great. All makes for a happy mummy with her little'uns.

Great for taking the kids bikes, and there are loads of paths and easy road to ride, as well as all around the campsite.

Playgrounds are clean and tidy.

Shop has a useful supply of bits and pieces, and not massively overpriced.

Could do with a little table or chair in the shower block, as clothes can so easily fall of pegs. (we have a little folding table we take over with us).

Always come away from this site. Willing to go back

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Vincent perry 3 reviews from this member

Needed a bit of me time so booked the martello campsite. When I arrived went to reception and was greated by a very nice young lady. She explained in great detail all facilities of the site we were given directions on where to go

Went over the clubroom in the evening was quite good but a bit of a task trying to find a seat. Its a bit small for size of camp

Eat in the cafe which I must say was really nice and helpful staff

Toilet block and showers were very clean and tidy and for those that want one is a hairdryer

The only thing I could comment on is that the field had loads of cut grass so was a bit messy apart from that enjoyed it

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Manphill 3 reviews from this member

I LOVE this site.

Reception staff are polite and knowledgeable.

Toilets and showers are clean and tidy, well maintained and in the centre of the touring field for easy access to all. Could do with a chair or two, or some hooks as space for placing 'dry' wear is limited.

The pool is quaint, clean and tidy (book at busy times, but no issues)

The clubhouse could do with some new table and chairs, but the entertainment is always fantastic, the children love Sparky's Krew Club, and the staff are great with the children and adults.

Pitch few are reasonable, but with so much to do on site, you can keep the cost down, by using everything here. Playground is well maintained, and secure for the children to play in.

Lovely cycle path to Clacton Pier.

Beach clean, tidy and great for the kids and kite flying.

Don't be put of by the approach to the site, once you turn that corner into the Martello Park, its what is inside that counts.

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: 777Tony 3 reviews from this member

We were greeted by a very professional girl on the reception. She pointed us in the direction of the field and said we can park anywhere.

The site was fairly clean and there were always some site wardens around. Our dog managed to wander off on her own (she is a Poodle)and the first thing we knew about it was the warden bringing her back to us, saying what a lovely dog we have. What a lovely warden.

On the journey to the campsite, you have to drive through an area like you are in a third world country and you think 'will you ever get out of here'

On the campsite, it's a totally different story. It is all ok.

Date of Visit: March 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Tynxuk 16 reviews from this member

Having been here a few times due to being located close to a family members static which doesn't take tents (and no other camp sites even close) I decided to brave another one nighter here.

I was surprised they are using the barriers again (that were left up for our last visit) and check ins are advised to park in the 4 spots to the left of the barrier, all very well for us without a trailer but not sure this would work with a caravan or trailer on the back. Reception staff were polite and friendly as always, advised me to pitch were we liked and warned of muddy pitches, they even gave a weather report and advised there was no rush for us to pack up on our departure day :).

On driving to the camping field I noticed a new addition, an enclosed blue wooden kitchen area with two fridges (or freezers - didn't check) and four sinks mounted slightly higher than normal (I guess this if to encourage the men to wash up!). Also all the EHU pitches had been marked out but it wasn't very clear due to the grass being quite long and cuttings being left.

Whilst there is a shop, bar, amusements, pool, laundrette we only used the toilet block as we were visiting family so could use their facilities and used the site as a base for sleeping having breakfast then left. There was a bit of shouting around 10pm but it soon calmed down and listening to the site wake up on mothers day was much like any other family site we've been on.

We didn't go on the beach but it looked much cleaner (maybe time of year) and the walk along the wall was definitely much cleaner.

Overall I would say this site is trying to improve which is what I was advised last year but was pessimistic about that. I hear that the area has been offered council funding for improvements (grants available for the run down shacks I assume) and hopefully everyone will make an effort to at least get it to an acceptable standard. The 60's & 70's this was a fantastic area so my father in law tells me but sadly it seems very little has been done since.

Reviewer: Jodielb 5 reviews from this member

We booked martello beach as a group of 4 tents, unfortunately one group had to pull out last minute. We couldn't go up till the afternoon due to work commitments but thankfully one family went up first thing and reserved our pitches to with a windbreak and car or there was no way we would have been able to pitch together as it was free for all. First come first serve.

We arrived at 3pm and first impressions were 'it's a mess', tents seemed to be pitched any which way no organisation at all, it was extremely hard to drive the car to our pitch due to lack of space and room between tents.

When we finally got out the car our pitch and our friends were so bumpy and uneven we had to be very careful how we pitched without causing damage to our tent. We had to remove pegs out the ground left from previous campers before we started.

First impression on the toilets were ok, but that was short lived as they became quite filthy very quickly, loo rolls had always run out. And the first morning there was vomit all around one of the pans absolutely disgusting!

Showers again started off ok when we first looked but soon became filthy and water was Luke warm even first thing In the morning.

Children loved the park despite vial language from young children so sadly for them we stayed away.

Shop was extremely over priced so didn't use it unless we had to.

Swimming pool heating had broke so was out of use, but you also had to book and if you didn't get down there early you were out of luck because the pool was tiny.

Noise over night on the campsite was horrendous cars driving round at high speed, people beeping there horns, arguments, foul language and people throwing up clearly after a heavy drunken night in the club house (somewhere we chose to avoid)!

Going back to a badly laid out site with no space between tents, people would head back to there tents, a little worse for wear after the club house closed, tripping over guide ropes and someone even fell on my friends tent fortunately not the end her children were and fortunately the tent wasn't damaged.

We tried making the best of a bad situation because we were all friends together and could have a laugh. But decided we would pack up a day early and head home.

We would definitely not recommend this site and definitely will not be returning!

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Folly 3 reviews from this member

Woeful – the worst site I’ve ever been on!

Yes the area is run down we had been warned about this, looks like some redevelopment is underway but we were more interested in the site. When we arrived on the site it wasn’t clear where to park whilst booking in but that’s only a minor point. We were told we could choose our own pitch, we drove round a bit found what looked nice a location and set our folding camper up. There were some rather tatty looking caravans and motorhomes around with grass that hadn’t been cut in quite a while underneath, they were often accompanied by cars that wouldn’t have been able to pull them or commercial vehicles despite the sign at the entrance saying “no commercials”. As we set up we were fairly dubious about the Irish chap conducting a fairly aggressive conversation on a handsfree mobile phone. As we set up we commented on the amount of litter, then we looked over to the wheelie bins and noticed they were overflowing. Also the litter looked worse as the gang mower had chopped up the litter and multiplied it several times, we also found that the same happens to tent pegs when I trod on the remains of one (ouch!).

The loo’s were filthy, there is only one convenience block which is rather dated and could do with a BIG clean, the end stall in the gents was flooded and had no door lock, I moved on, and on my third attempt found one with toilet paper. The soap dispenser was empty but there was hot water, the sinks were however, rather grotty and could do with a clean. The showers are woeful, plenty of hot water but no way of cooling it (not helpful when showering my two year old son(also there was nowhere to dry or dress him)). There is no stool, no shelf to put shower gel or toiletries and the water doesn’t drain away, instead you are left with a puddle of foul smelling water. There was a fair bit of mould and some odd stains on the ceiling. The showers need a very good clean. There is one mirror in the whole shower block but was covered in condensation so didn’t use it. Also within the convenience block are the wash up areas, there are two sinks for the while site!

During our first night I went for a walk to speak to the site security men (who were being kept busy by the travellers) and asked if the site was always like this. The security man was very friendly and said any problems call us and we will deal with it, I didn’t take him up on this as there are some sectors of society I wouldn’t feel happy complaining about, unless through the police or relevant authorities.

On the second day we went to use the pool, the changing room door lock was broken, the pool was pleasant enough the water was a nice temperature and save for a bit of sand seemed fairly clean, the drain in the outdoor pool had several pieces of the grill missing. I spoke to the receptionist to enquire if the standard was typical of Park Resorts, she answered as though she was a cassette recording and used well chosen words when answering my questions about travellers, she said that they had not had any trouble with them (it did seem that the site rules were tailored to meet the travellers needs). My wife also noted that 130 nights GWE pitch was being advertised for £500. As regards the other facilities on site such as clubhouse etc, I cannot comment as we spent as little time on site as possible (we also left early).

So to sum up if you are looking to join the travelling community then this is the site for you! Loud music at all times of the day and night, boy racers, fast driving, frame buggies, unruly children, dogs barking, foul language, lots of rubbish and other issues associated with living in a caravan / motorhome. If on the other hand you are looking for a friendly family orientated site, keep looking I implore you!

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Dolphia1 1 review from this member

Parking / Reception - On arrival at approx 2. 30pm I approached Martello and parked up on the left which had about 4 parking bays. It was empty so was easy to park. At first sight if it was busy I would not have known where to park.

The reception area is right next to the parking bays and the reception staff were friendly and helpful.

Tourers and tent field - In the same field with non electric round the outside (which is where I was). I was able to pitch anywhere I wanted along the non electric section, no set sized pitches which meant I could choose the flatest part. I could not see any major uneven surfaces.

There is one block to service the tents and tourers which have;

1) Toilets - around 5 stalls, 4 sinks, all clean and regularly attended to. Shaver points above the sink and at the end of the toilets is a unit with mirrors and an electric point to the left.

2) Showers were a separate block - out of the toilet door and you could jump to the shower block. Has about 5 showers, the shower head on the 3rd one was movable (did not check the rest)and it has the standard push button but I must admit it lasted about 30 seconds rather than the usual 10 which if you think about it is a long time. The showers were big enough for me and my daughter to shower in but have no real place to get dry but we managed to do this in the cubicle. These are just shower, no toilets or sinks. As you enter the room on the right is a surface with a couple of electric points. The showers were dated but clean. Very hot (too hot for me but daughter loved it)

3) Washing up facilities - these were located inbetween the toilet door and the shower door and there is only enough room for one person/family to wash up. Just to point out round the other side of the building is a duplicate for the mens toilet/shower and another washing up space.

4) Drinking water - At the end of one side of the building are 2 drinking water taps. Fairly low down and it looks like they are putting a building around this to make the taps in doors!

5) Chemical disposal point - this is at the other end of the building, it has the normal hole to dispose of contents but it has a weird flush system which is a pipe coming out of a toilet system where you 'flush the chain' and water comes out of the pipe and you can rinse out your toilet. This is not good as ideally you could do with a hose to properly clean your toilet, water gushing out of a pipe only gets you soaking wet!

Shop - there is one 'Nisa' shop (next to reception) open mostly at 8 am and I think it closed around 8pm. Sells everything you need food and drink wise (alcholic and non alcoholic) it also sells the usual gifts like sweets, biscuits, money boxes etc, prices are ok but they do charge 5p per carrier bag :-)

Park - As you enter the park on the right, is a play park for the kids. Surrounded by high green fencing. Located right by the side of the main road going into the touring field, so was not warm and fluffy to let my 8 year old go their on her own. My daughter loved the park, couple of tube slides lots of climbing. Small climbing frame for younger kids. Swings for both older and younger however one swing seemed to be missing from each set! next to the park is a football pitch (concrete not grass) with goals at both ends (does help)

Swimming pool - Small pool maximum depth 1. 2 metres, another circular toddler type pool next to it, showers and toilets. Only 3 changing rooms. This was not busy despite it size. Does have an outdoor pool rounghly the same size but did not use this (brrr) Done a water activity as well like the hamster balls (the blow up balls you can walk on water in) 2 lifeguards about, friendly. We did book a slot the morning of the day you want to go just in case they got busy, this was handy as it was never packed which meant you could at least move. Had balls and swimming aids about to use if needed.

Restaurant - Ocean bar was nice, order food and drink at bar, ate quite a few times here all meals nice, have separate kids menu which was handy as my daughter really fussy. Do breakfast which was also good and food is served from 9am through to about 9pm. After 9pm there is a burger bar (shut on Sunday we found out) very handy after coming out hungry. 2 Lovely ladies run this.

Show bar/amusements/- Have to go through the amusements to get anywhere (pool, bar, showbar) which is quite spacious, usual games. Showbar had a good bar, popcorn, nuts etc plenty of room although the site itself is very small. Could see my daughter from anywhere within the bar.

Staff - Could not fault them. Emma and Mike the two kids entertainers on duty who worked really hard from daytime entertainment through to then doing the evening entertainment and play the 'characters'. Whether there were 50 kids or 1 kid they did entertain (on last day there was just husband and child doing one of the activities and they had great fun)

Bar staff all friendly along with reception and pool staff. Shop staff could be more happy but probably having a bad day !

Overall one of the smallest sites (of any company) that I have been too but had lots to do and would definitely go there again and my 8 year old is already asking when we can go back!

£34 for 3 nights non electric, includes entertainment passes, for two people, this price applied for up to 4 people (intially mum and daughter then I had to work so dad took over sunday)

The only negative was the toilets in the amusement centre (opposite the swimming pool) they smelt awful just as you walked down the corridor, it got worst when you went in. Poor condition, did not look maintained/cleaned. Hubby said he walked into the mens toilet and walked out again as there was water leaking into the corridor and the state of the toilets themselves were revolting. The toilets in the main blocks and those inside the show bar were fine.

Previous     62 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Essex

Win a £299 Clarke IG1200B Suitcase Generator! Win an Outwell Electric Barbecue Package worth over £205

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 6 to 7th July, Derbyshire