Reviews of Lochside Caravan And Camping Site

Campsite Search > UK > Scotland > Dumfries and Galloway > Castle Douglas > Lochside Caravan And Camping Site Reviews

Lochside Caravan And Camping Site
Carlingwark Loch
Lochside Park
Castle Douglas
Dumfries and Galloway   (Browse area)
DG7 1EZ
Tel: 07824 528 467  or  01556 504 682

Open: 1 March - 31 January 2020

No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge    Motorhome Point
 Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   No Wifi Access
 Fishing On Site   No Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool <1 mile   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   Cycle Hire <1 mile   Golf <1 mile   Tennis <1 mile
 Beach <10 miles   No Watersports   No Boat Launch
 Lakeside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  25 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

To find out if we're taking bookings please contact us

Date of Visit: September 2015 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Eileen Devine 7 reviews from this member

We received a lovely welcome from the charming warden, and told to pick any site we wanted. The site is large with loads of space. We chose next to the loch and the whole place to ourselves-lovely. The facilities were clean and comfortable. Castle douglas town is just down the street with good pubs and shops. We shall be back.

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Touring on two whee 3 reviews from this member

This was our fourth day on tour so we decided to have a quiet day and stop early so this site looked good as it was around a lake and within walking distance to the town. The campsite is in a nice location and we where the only campers on the field the toilets where adequate but the carpark is very busy all day and into the evening. We picked this site for the walk into the town and for that reason it turned out very good for us the town has plenty of restaurants and shops to look around so we where pleased with that. After a nice meal and 2 pints of Guinness for me we headed back to the tent and had a quite night

I would recommend this site for the walk into town, toilets are adequate so some may not like for that reason I also see that it is a public site and park for that is the reason carpark is so busy

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Spadgesparrow 2 reviews from this member

This is a council run campsite on the edge of Castle Douglas. It looks like a council run campsite - my wife thought it was a traveller site. There is a lot of hard standing and units are parked close together.

It is handy for a walk into Castle Douglas which apparently has some nice eating establishments. The loch (Carlingwark) adjoins the site.

The site basically has public access day and night. We were disturbed on the Saturday by noise from people - I am not sure if they were campers or others accessing the lochside.

The wardens were polite and well meaning. But despite the toilet and shower blocks only being accessible with a key card they were grubby and toilet seats were hanging off. They were not much better than the other public convenience in the town car park.

The cost of over 26 a night for a van and 2 occupants was expensive.

The list of Rules is impressive!- see the Council website or the prominent sign at the entrance.

In summary - maybe ok for an overnight stop if you want a night out in CD.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Swiftycorn 3 reviews from this member

This has been our second visit to this site the previous one being in the summer of 2010.

We originally booked a serviced, grass pitch and on arrival we were delighted with the pitch, near kids play area and views over Carlingwark Loch - sun was shining - over night the heavens opened and by the following lunch time we had to ask to move as ground was wet through and huge puddles were appearing around us - the warden was fantastic and allocated us a serviced pitch on the hardstanding area ( ok a big tarmac carpark ) again near the play area so we could watch son (7) playing safely.

There is so much for kids to do here, skate park, play areas x 2, mini golf course, boats on loch, pathways for cycling.

Being just a couple of minutes walk from the shops of Castle Douglas is brilliant, we had daily walks to supermarkets as well as local shops - we can highly recommend the butchers for fresh produce / BBQ meat.

Warden staff were friendly and helpful throughout our stay. On arrival they informed us of all the free events that were due to take place throughout the week as it was 'Civic week' - this was great as there was events everyday finishing of the week with the parade, live music and firework display on the Saturday evening - all free.

Disadvantages:

* There is some traffic in and out of the car park used by the public for visiting the lake, and this goes right by the play park.

* The toilet / showers are looking a little dated, but they were cleaned on daily basis.

* Some issues on the Friday night with idiots off the site causing disruption in the gents toilets and showers but was all sorted by morning - this was not the sites fault.

* Issues with dogs not being on leads - irresponsible owners and only challenged by other visitors.

Advantages;

* The toilets / showers are card access to stop the 'public' visiting the lake using the facilities.

* wardens on site throughout the day and evening and always happy to help - no matter.

* 7 & 14 night stay discounts available - every little helps.

Overall:

Nice site, well worth a visit, plenty to do in local area or within short drive.

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Trailer Tent
Reviewer: Happybunny 7 reviews from this member

I'd hate to be on the giant 'car park' section of the site (all tarmac), but on the grassy section this was a pleasant site. A decent play park, with more kids play stuff on the adjoining public park, and OK facilities.

The wash blocks are looking a little dated, but were always clean, and the staff were very helpful.

Being next to Carlingwark Loch is nice - we had a pleasant paddle around on it in our canoes for a couple of hours, and would have liked to do the walk all the way around it if we hadn't had such rotten weather (not that the site can help that. )

Being just a couple of minutes walk from the shops of Castle Douglas is handy.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

Only slight disadvantages - there is some traffic in and out of the car park used by the public for visiting the lake, and this goes right by the play park, and the toilets are card access, which is a bit faffy with younger children who could normally go to the loo on their own, but can't be trusted to remember to look after a card, yet.

So - lots of pluses, and only some minor negatives. The more personal factor is that for me, I can't quite 'love' Castle Douglas, or this site, and I prefer a more rural location.

Overall: Nice site, well worth a visit, but not quite my style.

Date of Visit: June 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Maza55 1 review from this member

I went to this caravan park with my sister last year as she had become a widow and had a seasonal caravan here and did not know if she wanted to keep it or sell or even if she could cope without her husband. I fell in love with the place at first sight and spent a few weekends with my sister. The staff are very helpful and helped us with lots of things as well as other caravanners that had got to know my sister and her husband very well over their 6 years of going there for the full season. I decided to save and this year I have my own wee tourer going there for the season. There is plenty for the grandkids to do and the toilets are kept clean. If they are not clean you can go tell a member of staff and they will take care of the problem. I for one am looking forward to my many days I will spend on this caravan park.

Date of Visit: April 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Susiekershaw 2 reviews from this member

Our family of 6 stayed for three nights at the beginning of the Bank Holiday weekend with my parents who came along in their caravan. The warden was very accommodation when we booked so that we had pitches next to each other even though we didn't require electric hook up.

The pitches were fantastic, a big space surrounded by trees and far enough away from the road with the option to keep our cars next to us or park them elsewhere. The hardstanding pitches don't look too pretty though, just like a car park but the pitches have a lovely view of the loch.

While the toilet blocks don't look swanky, they were always clean, quiet and the showers were great, (No push buttons that stop and start). You get in with a swipe card rather than key so the kids could manage on their own!

The park is great and we could see the children fron the tent and always felt they were safe and a lovely walk around the loch for our dog. The site was very peaceful in the evening with no disturbances.

An easy walk to the lovely main street and also a CO-OP and Tesco in the town.

Lovely places to visit nearby; Kirkubright, Kippford, Sandyhills.

All this for a bargain price! We only paid 13.50 a night and my parents paid 16.00 with electric! Fantastic value for money.

Date of Visit: October 2010 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Chuchie 1 review from this member

Been going to this site for a few years now, staff are very friendly and helpful. Site is always clean, and when we have been there nice and quiet on a night The loch is a nice bonus, to look out of the window on a morning its a treat.

Castle Douglas has its very own brewery, lots of great little shops, great butchers. Everyone we have met in the town are very friendly. Pity the campsite wasn't open all year.

Date of Visit: July 2010 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Horseygurl09 2 reviews from this member

My great Gran took my Gran to this campsite and then my Gran took my mum to this campsite then my mum took me to this campsite and now I take my 6 kids here.

The site has 2 toilet blocks that require a card to use and both are exceptionally clean.

My younger kids enjoy going on the paddle boats and miniature golf. They are always telling me how great the parks are. My two oldest girls enjoy going riding at stables nearby and going up the street shopping.

The site has 2 toilet blocks, 2 parks, paddle boats, putting green, skate park and mainly hard-standing pitches. There is a place for tents as well. My dogs Buddy and Belle enjoy walks around the loch as do i.

There is room for improvement but just now my family enjoy what there is.

Dumfries isn't far,neither is Kirkcudbright.

There is an amazing riding school in Ringford.

Stranraer is a little further out but it's worth the journey.

Castle Douglas town is really friendly and we are friends with many of the locals and regulars in the campsite.

I am now expecting female twins for the first time and I hope that they will enjoy the park and facilities as much as their sisters do.

Date of Visit: June 2010 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Madmclaren 1 review from this member

I have just returned after a weekend on this site with friends. Every one of us agreed that the site was well maintained and very friendly. We were next to the playground as we had two small children with us and it was great. There was plenty for them to do and they really enjoyed watching the swans on the loch and had a great time on the paddle boats.

The site was very peaceful - think we were the ones making any noise and I can only apologise if we upset anyone. Sorry!

There was a few of the local kids who met up, just up from the play park about 8pm, but they were only there for about an hour. We let off a sky lantern and they were asking us what it was. They were very pleasant and caused us no concerns unlike in a previous review that has been posted.

The local shops were great and the chip shop just along the road was fantastic. Highly recommend giving it a try mmmmmm!

We all agree that we will be returning to this site in the future as we had such a lovely time here and would encourage everyone who finds themselves in the are to give this site a try.

Previous     25 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Write a Review of this Site to Win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Is Lochside Caravan And Camping Site child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Lochside Caravan And Camping Site?  There is a shop within 1 mile  View all facilities

Is Lochside Caravan And Camping Site dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Castle Douglas      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Dumfries and Galloway

UKCS Meet Camping Exhibition, Wokingham 26/06 to 26/07
Approximately 100 different tents on display, and a range of camping accessories ...more