Reviews of Black Swan Country Park ( Was Black Swan Holiday Park)

Campsite Search > UK > England > North East > North Yorkshire > Masham > Black Swan Country Park ( Was Black Swan Holiday Park) Reviews

Black Swan Country Park ( Was Black Swan Holiday Park)
Fearby
Masham
North Yorkshire   (Browse area)
HG4 4NF

Electric Hookups   No Hardstandings   Fully Serviced Pitches   Show Full Facilities
 Shop <5 miles   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   Wifi Access
 Fishing <5 miles   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   No Cycle Hire   Golf <5 miles   Tennis <5 miles
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   No Dog Walk

Reviews:  67 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7

Our site is open and we are taking bookings , please be assured you can book with confidence

For peace of mind of our customers and staff, we have decided to restrict our communal areas. Our toilets are Closed. Our showers are Closed. Please contact us for full details of what facilities are available.

To enquire about a booking or for more information please contact us

Date of Visit: September 2020 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Nights stayed: 4 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Pen21 2 reviews from this member

The location of the site is great - lots of walking straight from the site and it's always handy to be close to a pub.

But. I used UKcampsite to find a site with toilets and showers (my caravan is very small and has no amenities) and this site came up. I then emailed the site direct to ask the owner if a pitch was available, which it was, I then paid for my pitch in advance using the Black Swan website. We then rocked up, set up the caravan and awning and then went to find the toilet block only to find the toilet block was closed!

I went into the pub to ask about the amenities and the owner was very off hand and said the toilets had been closed since July and it was clearly marked on his website. When I said I had chosen his site through UKcamping which stated that his site has WC and showers he said that wasn't his problem as he didn't pay for his listing on UKcampsite and it had nothing to do with him. When I asked what was I going to do (3 days keeping my legs crossed was going to be a challenge) he said I could use the toilets in the pub during pub opening hours.

I suppose that was something but I was pretty upset - he completely lacked any empathy and was emphatic that it was clearly stated on his website and this was not his problem and entirely my own fault. I was upset but couldn't argue with him about this as I'd just gone on to his website to pay so may well have missed the statement on his website - but now, looking a his website on the right hand side of the home page' underneath Facilities it states that WC and Showers are available - so I've no idea where on his website it states the facilities are closed.

If you're looking for a site with a pleasant owner then this is not the site for you. It's really overpriced considering there are no facilities, there is still a pot wash point - but the u-bend had become dislodged so when I pulled the plug the dirty water went all over my feet.

The waste and recycling area is overflowing and you need to hold your breath when going there. The site is on a steep slope but to be fair, that is on the UKcampsite description and we did manage to get a pitch towards the bottom of the site which is fairly level.

I can completely understand why he's closed the toilets and showers if he doesn't have the resources to clean them regularly but he needs to make it really, really clear on his website and when emailing just mention at the bottom of his emails that there are currently no amenities and lower his prices to acknowledge this.

Date of Visit: May 2019 Unit:  Campervan
Nights stayed: 3 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Sk8128 1 review from this member

Very steep site unable to get our unit level.

Campsite over crowded and electrics on site kept tripping.

Toilet block not clean and not enough facilities for number of people. Bins over flowing with waste.

Date of Visit: June 2018 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Goffey two 1 review from this member

For the price this was a disgrace. The toilet blocks in both the men and women's had one toilet 'out of order'. We where only there 24 hours and never saw them cleaned. The waste and rubbish bins where overflowing. Disgusting.

We had a evening meal with a drink and the pride was ridiculous. The staff where not over friendly apart from Scott, the bar man. He was professional, friendly and I would agree with one of the locals. If it wasn't for him we would have asked for our money back.

As other reviews say 'don't book'. Absolutely atrocious. Worst value for money ever.

Date of Visit: April 2017 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Davebentham 1 review from this member

Not really for Motorhomes

Positive

Managed to get a pitch with a very good view and there were nice walks going straight from the site.

Negative

Inflated pub prices to negate any advantage of using the complimentary vouchers.

Could only use one voucher a night.

No facility for grey water waste (basic requirement for long stay)

Dated toilet block with not enough hanging/storage space in showers and not cleaned enough.

People thinking its OK for dog fouling around your pitch when eating outside.

Ridiculously sloping pitches.

Bins overflowing.

No Wi-Fi as advertised.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Oneof8 10 reviews from this member

This site is ok really BUT very over priced!

The pros, the shower block was clean and had plenty of hot water. The site was pretty quiet all of the time not just after 11 pm.

The cons, £28 a night for a tent with 2 people and no electric hookup! If you book with them direct, they give you a £5 voucher to use in their restaurant.

But, you can't use it for breakfast or use more than 1 a time and you have to pre book the restaurant when you want to said voucher.

The 'owner' is not terribly friendly and saw our arrival as an inconvenience - at nearly £30 a night a smile wouldn't be a hardship surely?

There are no other facilities which would make you think 'Aah, that's why it's so expensive ' no play park, no free board games or books - they may have had these in the pub, but the surly owner and voucher fiasco meant we never went in there. My daughter asked me if the showers were gold plated, played music and dried you with special dryers after each shower. Er no.

I don't think we'll stay again, primarily because of the price to be honest. If we could've used the voucher for breakfast, I think we would've used them and had breakfast in the restaurant each morning. We gave it a miss and went elsewhere, so they missed out on our custom that weekend. Poor call Black Swan. 4 breakfasts, 4 evening meals and drinks adds up to around £100 of income they missed out on.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Prosserand lodge 19 reviews from this member

As others have said this is a sloping site. However it levels towards the bottom of the field, so we parked up with out need for chocks. Great views across the meadows towards Masham.

Many of the units on site looked semi permanent - touring caravans but with patios etc set up around them.

The toilet block is adequate but tired looking, and there were issues with a broken down ladies loo for part of a busy sunny weekend. Another quibble - nowhere to hang towels etc when having a wash. A couple of hooks near the wash basins would help without much effort needed.

Dogs are welcome on site but not in the pub, which is in all honesty more of an eating than drinking place. Vouchers for a discount on meals were given with the booking.

The site has on its own website a couple of downloadable maps for local walks. The one we tried became an impassible bog within a hundred yards of the road! It hasn't been the driest year so far, but this path looked as the the mud was a regular occurrence.

Close enough to walk ( on a different route!) into Masham where there are plenty of pubs, cafés etc.

Date of Visit: October 2013 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Jonnypanic 15 reviews from this member

In a word. Rubbish!

For £22 you would expect that the toilets would work, be attached to floor and be lit during darkness hours. Out of the two male showers only one of them had a light that 'operated'. It flickered so much it set off a migraine. This could have been dangerous for anyone suffering from epilepsy.

It is a good site wasted due to neglect.

The pub is pleasant serving good food and beer.

If the place gets a little makeover and update during the winter months it could be fantastic!

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Bevleck 2 reviews from this member

Site sloping but easy to level up if you have chocs with you. Made welcome upon arrival and had choice of pitches. Toilet block clean and functional. Showers free.

We picked this site because of the pub on site but dogs are not allowed in which is the only reason we wouldn't use the site again. Lovely village and good walking area.

Restaurant food excellent, a little pricey but no different to other pubs we visited.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Mikeshield1 1 review from this member

Initially the site looked good and we were put on a decent pitch by a friendly warden. Our pitch was fully serviced with water supply.

Then we found the electric (10amp supply) kept tripping and from then on it descended into a total disaster.

The rubbish disposal area was overflowing and was a health hazard. The toilets/showers were not the most hygienic I used my onboard sevices. Tents were crammed in to overflowing, loud music until 2 in the morning, un-supervised children causing havoc.

All this for £26 per night, I won't be back. Bye Bye Black Swan.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Mooandbull 2 reviews from this member

My family and parents visited the Black Swan last weekend, (mid August) initially looked great, pub on-site good menu and £5 voucher. We were put in the middle of the camping field, right next to the toilet blocks, the electric cable trailing round the caravan.

Firstly the toilet block looked like something from the 1970's and certainly not cleaned, empty soap dispensers, spiders and grass everywhere. Site office had no provisions, ie milk or bread. There was half dead rabbit running round the site.

The owners dog let to running free and 'foul' everywhere (right outside my awning) yet my dog had to be tied up, attitude and being watched was totally unacceptable. No dog walks, surrounded by sheep, the pub closed in afternoon, 3/4 miles to the village and no taxi's, certainly won't be going back.

Previous     67 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Is Black Swan Country Park ( Was Black Swan Holiday Park) child friendly?  YES, it accepts children  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Black Swan Country Park ( Was Black Swan Holiday Park)?  There is a shop within 5 miles  View all facilities

Is Black Swan Country Park ( Was Black Swan Holiday Park) dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Masham      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in North Yorkshire