Reviews of Newgale Camping Site

Campsite Search > UK > Wales > Pembrokeshire > Haverfordwest > Newgale Camping Site Reviews

Newgale Camping Site
Wood Hill
Newgale
Haverfordwest
Pembrokeshire   (Browse area)
SA62 6AS

Open: 01/03/2022 to 30/09/2022

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Small Campervans
 No Glamping Units   No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches
 No Kitchen Facilities   Freezer / Fridge    Motorhome Point   Wifi Access
 Shop <5 miles   Bar On Site   Restaurant or Cafe or Takeaway On Site
 Fishing On Site   Wild Swimming On Site   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <1 mile   No Cycle Hire   No Golf   No Tennis
 Beach On Site   Watersports On Site   Boat Launch / Mooring On Site
 Sea Views   Not Working Farm   Campfires Allowed
 Coastside Pitches   Public Transport On Site  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  47 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Date of Visit: August 2021 Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 5 Travelling as:  Family with young children
Reviewer: TrippLoso 5 reviews from this member

Probably the coolest campsite in the UK. Across the road from Newgale Beach.

Facilities are reasonably good. Take lots of 20p's for the shower.

Great star gazing on clear nights. 20 minutes from Haverfordwest for the supermarket.

A reasonable crowd on August bank holiday, no real late night noise issues.

You can have fire pits (they hire them out).

I highly recommend this campsite.

Date of Visit: July 2021 Unit:  Campervan
Nights stayed: 1 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Chrisandsandra 59 reviews from this member

We really loved this site.

It's right by the beach, though as others have said you8 have to climb a shingle protection bank to reach it but it really was worth it.

The site is well organised. And, where we were on an EHU pitch, very flat. You could choose to camp on the hill from which there were great views but you would need big chocks. Part of the site allows dogs and the other part is dog free so best check you're in the right part when you check in.

The EHU pitches are in the centre and along the back of the site. They are a good size and separated by low hedges/vegetation. For non EHU you can set up anywhere there is a space allowing groups to camp together. The site was quiet at night.

The facilities were modern and clean and the site staff worked hard to keep them clean. They were also well lit and warm which was very welcome.

There was a food van on site near the entrance selling burgers, coffee etc as well as breakfast baps. The Duke of Edinburgh pub has had some bad reviews recently but when we went it had just had a change of management and the service was excellent. The food was good and very plentiful.

Apart from the campsite and pub there is a cafe selling sandwiches etc and a surf shop that offers lessons. The bus to St Davids and Haverford West stops outside the cafe and runs quite regularly.

We really loved this site and are planning a return soon.

Date of Visit: August 2019 Unit:  Campervan
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Family with older children
Reviewer: Siebellis 22 reviews from this member

Located near the beach. Booked as I expected a see view, not to be:-( due to a large banking of pebbles ( sea defence).

Toilets really good, really warm for when you've been on the beach. A trailer serving pizza on site. Can be a bit breezy, most awnings disassembled themselves so we couldn't put ours up.

Some of the site a bit soft if the weather is wet.

Would I go again? Probably not. Well not until my wife allows me to buy a kayak anyway.

Date of Visit: August 2019  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Motorhome
Nights stayed: 3 Travelling as:  Extended family
Reviewer: Nicola 1 review from this member

To start it was busy as BH weekend but was totally gutted when I first arrived on the chaos of how many campers were crammed in to the field.

The ground was so soft I was worried I would get my MH stuck. No organisation on where to pitch up. Advised you couldn't book and they ever turn people away, they turned people away.

Gutted they charged adult price for my 13 year old and thought it was expensive for non ehu.

Once settled we were very happy and the beach is amazing, outstanding sunsets and waves to die for.

The Duke of Edinburgh pub does lovely meals and would recommend staying there for less than half the price. £10per night.

Toilet facilities on site well looked after but shame they close the whole toilets daily to clean.

Recycling man very cheerful and helpful. Dont forget to recycle. Would return

Date of Visit: July 2019 Unit:  Motorhome
Nights stayed: 3 Travelling as:  With friends
Reviewer: Ian29 9 reviews from this member

Booked this site as part of a tour around the south west corner of Wales. I can honestly say I was knocked back by the view of the sea as I approached the site.

The site owner Mike was very helpful and makes you feel welcome. The site was rammed but we were fine as we had pre booked a pitch with EHU and these are clearly marked.

Looking across the site the non electric pitches looked chaotic but WOW! What an atmosphere, so friendly it took me back to the 60s. Site facilities are a little tired but to be fair they’re kept very clean.

The beach is reached by crossing a pebble bank which I would imagine is for defence and what a beach, beautiful and clean.

There is a pub adjacent to the site ‘The Duke of Edinburgh Inn’ which serves good food and there are vans serving pizza and Mexican food on site.

I definitely recommend this site as long as you don’t expect a C&MH type site.

Date of Visit: July 2018 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Tumbletent 3 reviews from this member

Newgale is a cracking site! We camped with two other families and the kids loved it, though they wished there was a playground area. Even though the 2018 heatwave was paused while we were there, replaced by wind, mist and the odd shower, we all still had a great time.

The massive beach is a very short walk, and we had some great waves to play in. There were two very nice cafes within easy walking distance and a pub with very decent grub (including veggie) on the edge of the site. The site facilities were fine with a good number of loos and showers (£1 for 10 mins).

The new owner (Mike?) was very helpful, charging phones in his van, and approving of us having an off-the-ground fire, even though the 'rules' say no fires - I think they were the previous owners' rules.

Most of the site is flat, but if you don't mind sleeping on a slope, there is a hill available which would provide lovely sea views. All in all, we thought the site was great and would definitely return.

Date of Visit: July 2018  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Campervan
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Extended family
Reviewer: Ratty 279 reviews from this member

A cracking campsite located just yards from Newgale Beach.

We phoned to enquire and was told to turn up, pay on arrival and find our pitch, so we did just that. The drive in is stunning with great views of the campsite and the beach and the site is very easy to find. We arrived and were charged £10 for me, the dog and the campervan. I also purchased a shower token for 50p. Owner is very friendly and happy to chat and answer any questions.

The site is split into three areas, electric hookups, dog field and non hook up field. We of course went in the dog field and there was plenty of space. Dog of course must be kept on the lead and we were informed of this and duly obeyed, and brilliantly the site owner enforced this as people both sides of us decided not to follow the rule and their dogs were running around and winding ours up, however he came over and asked them to put them on leads, and that solved the problem for the rest of the stay.

There is a toilet and shower block which also houses the chemical disposal point, fresh water and the bins. The toilet block had three urinals, four toilets and four shower cubicles. This block was extremely clean and well looked after and always fully stocked. The showers required the token and the slots are just outside of the cubicles and you get around 5 minutes and they were really nice, a power shower with temp control and shower head control. The also have a seat and a couple of hooks. There is washing up facilities, a freezer, laundry room and tourist info spot behind the facilities block. There is also disabled facilities which is key access only.

They offer free wifi, however the signal is not great, but it is usable for a bit of surfing to find the next campsite, or check your emails.

Newgale beach is simply stunning when the tide is out and stretches for miles and is dog friendly too. There are loads of caves to explore and rock pools too. The waves can be quite big making this a great beach to surf, body board, etc, and there is a place next door offing lessons and equipment hire if you want to surf, kayak, etc.

There is no playground on site, but you don't need one what with the open spaces and the beach across the road. All the children I saw here were happy playing in the fields or on the beach.

The coast path runs both ways either side of the beach and offers miles of great walking with stunning scenery.

There is a pub next door that is open all day, every day, and they do food too. The range of drinks was good and the menu was varied and reasonably priced. I opted for chicken and the dish was simply huge, too much for me to finish, but it was delicious.

If you forget any supplies there is a small store in Solva, about 2 miles away, and they sold most things, not the cheapest but fulfils your needs.

The owner told us he had only had the site for a few weeks and was making improvements every day and one of those improvements is a mobile shop, so that will be handy if that happens.

This is a great site, nice and relaxed and for £10 for the night you simply cannot go wrong. A site I will return to when in the area again as it ticks all the boxes for me.

Date of Visit: September 2017 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Bern Behan 1 review from this member

My third visit in 3yrs to this site, have stayed a total of 4 weeks on this wonderful site. Always a pleasant & warm welcome, with honest warning of gales expected on very first night!

It's dramatic location, right next to the sea means the weather can be wild. Hearing the waves at night & the stunning sunsets are more than compensation though. The shower block is great and well kept.

A covered area with washing up facilities & selection of books, games is welcome too - especially for using my stove to boil my kettle when the rain or wind a bit too much. There's a pub next door but have never experienced any noisy overspill from that.

I like a quiet site and this site us mainly good in this respect. Kids having fun is most noise have heard, not disturbing noise. Good bus service into Haverfordwest and along coast path. Stunning walks on coast path to Solva and St David's start a few yards from campsite.

The beach takes less than 3mins to reach with lots of watersports available for those inclined. I love this site & hope to keep going back again and again. The people who run it are down to earth, approachable & kind. So cheap too!

Date of Visit: July 2017 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Albyfreer 1 review from this member

We are new to this camping game, and just got a vintage VW campervan Talent. We started our trip from Bedford to start exploring Wales. After a first couple of dodgy nights with weather and sleeping, we settled and moved each day from Cardiff area, Barry island, Tenby, Haverford West and then Skomer island (fantastic to see the puffins and all other birds). We then moved again visiting Little Haven and Broadhaven who both have fantastic beaches. We passed through and came across this campsite at Newgale, RIGHT ON THE BEACH SIDE. This is a stunning beach and so big, and with so much space we were not used to such luxury. What a stunning location. We were greeted by the lovely Stella who was warm and welcoming and we decided to stay, well 3 nights in the end. The location has everything, space, friendly campers, close to a pub with food served, a shop and cafe next door to that, and we used the bus which is a great service either way, but we went to St. Davids to see the lovely cathedral. This site had hook ups which we used, a very clean toilet and shower facility, night toilets, washing up area with library, and drinking water and fill up if required. Prices we thought were very reasonable especially as the site is so close to the most wonderful beach where you can kayak or surf or just enjoy the sands with walking. This all helped to make our holiday memorable and we will come back here next time, maybe end our north Wales tour here. We had mixed weather, hot sunshine, strong winds and on our last day a little storm, but who cares? It is this site I strongly recommend, and we look forward to seeing lovely Stella again soon. Just brilliant!

Date of Visit: July 2017 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: JamesKH 1 review from this member

Very friendly and welcoming site owner who always took time to answer any questions and who I enjoyed having friendly chats with whenever we met.

Proper HOT showers (50p for 5 mins) and free cold shower if you are brave enough, ample clean toilets and even a night time toilet as well as washing up facilities, an information centre with books, DVDs and local bus timetables and routes. Only drawback was no shop.

No dogs allowed or young groups which meant the site was very quiet most of the time and relaxing.

The location was amazing as it is a few minutes away from Newgale beach which is a mecca for surfers and beach lovers (awarded blue flag status and has 3 lifeguard posts manned 9-5 I think).

Can't complain at the price as it was £8 per night for a single tent and as a bonus you get 2 days free if you book 5 days.

I spent the time I was there learning to bodyboard, exploring St. Davids and even tried some coasteering for the first time at the big blue experience (which was amazing) and is one of the 3 local activity/surf shops.

2 local cafes which were a little expensive but served good food.

Avoided the pub as didn't want to pay their prices but the food looked great and big portions. Did get a pint of bitter shandy at £3. 90 from there so didn't use it after that.

Highly recommend this place as a stop off or long stay campsite and now I have my own wetsuit and bodyboard I will be back there soon as it has a nice feel to the place.

Previous     47 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Is Newgale Camping Site child friendly?  YES, it accepts children  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Newgale Camping Site?  There is a shop within 5 miles  View all facilities

Is Newgale Camping Site dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Haverfordwest      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Pembrokeshire

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally 02/07 to 03/07
An amazing fun weekend for all the family, with camping and caravanning on site from Friday to Monday - Save £15 on tickets

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2022