Reviews of Midfield Holiday & Residential Park

Campsite Search > UK > Wales > Ceredigion > Aberystwyth > Midfield Holiday & Residential Park Reviews

Midfield Holiday & Residential Park
Southgate
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion   (Browse area)
SY23 4DX
Tel: 01970 612542

Open: April To October

No Statics for Hire   Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   Wifi Access
 Fishing <5 miles   No Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool <1 mile   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   No Cycle Hire   Golf <5 miles   Tennis <5 miles
 Beach <5 miles   Watersports <5 miles   No Boat Launch
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   No Dog Walk

Reviews:  18 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

Our site is opening in line with government guidance and we are taking bookings for arrivals from 13/07/2020 onwards , please be assured you can book with confidence

For peace of mind of our customers and staff, we have decided to restrict our communal areas and this *may* include shower or toilet facilities being closed. Please contact us for full details of what facilities are available.

To enquire about a booking or for more information please contact us

Date of Visit: August 2019 Unit:  Motorhome
Nights stayed: 3 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: SueThom 1 review from this member

Site has lovely views but the toilet block located in what can only be described as a shed, was dirty and uncared for.

The entrance doors hadn't been painted for years, the paint had come off so badly the bare wood showed. There was no heating at all, the toilets were dirty and no sanitary bins provided. No chairs in the showers or anywhere to put your shoes or clothes so they had to be left outside to avoid them getting wet. In the sink area there were cobwebs and dead spiders on the walls and there was also nowhere to your wash bag.

Apart from our arrival we never saw the site owner at all.

Date of Visit: April 2017 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Andreo 12 reviews from this member

I stayed here for two nights, my first time on the site. I have previously stayed at Aberystwyth Holiday Village which is now only available for long term stayers. Arriving at the Midfield site I was impressed with the commanding views over the whole of Aberystwyth. The proprietor was friendly and helpful, and suggested a number of suitable pitches so I chose one with a good view over the town.

On both evenings I walked into Aberystwyth. Only the first couple of hundred metres of road from the site are without a pavement and is all downhill toward the town centre. For the return journey I took a taxi from the station entrance and this came to just over a fiver. In each case the driver knew where the site is.

Although the weather was cold and windy I found the shower and toilet block perfectly usable, it was clean with plentiful hot water. As a tent user my only gripe with the site, and it is a very minor one, is that there was a very powerful floodlight on the main reception building which woke me up, so on the second night I parked my car to stop it shining on the tent.

I will definitely return next time I am visiting Aber.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Westerly 1 review from this member

This is a fantastic site - we return every year, and have done for the past 10 years. It's a quiet site, doesn't have a clubhouse, but that's why we like it. The owners are on site, but leave you alone which is great. The views over the sea, hill fort, mountains and the town are amazing. And fields of sheep.

The site is sloping in parts, but there are plenty of pitches on the flat for caravans/campers and for tents. Conveniently located electric hook up points, taps, bins and an excellent TV signal. Chemical disposal point is down by the toilets / shower block. Plentiful showers which are nice and hot (and free).

There's a children's play area with a climbing frame / slide. Dogs welcome, with a separate dog walking area with great views over the town. A supermarket nearby, and lots to do in town - restaurants, shops, arts centre, museum, cinema, steam railway, cliff railway.

Around Aberystwyth is the most beautiful countryside for driving, walking or biking - Davil's Bridge waterfalls, Hafod estate, Elan Valley lakes, Ynyslas nature reserve, Rheidol valley to name but a few.

Ideal location to explore other parts of Wales, or just to relax at a campsite with beautiful views.

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Billy B. 4 reviews from this member

Arrived in the rain having booked and paid in advance. Nice site although on a slope so blocks needed to level van.

Lady in charge gave us a few instructions but we could not find place to empty toilet. A sheet with instructions on would have been useful. Toilets fine and washing dishes area.

We would stay again as it had a lovely view down into town.

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Coyote kid 11 reviews from this member

We stayed here for one night on our way to St David's.

Also it was an excuse to see again the place where my daughter went to university and met her future husband.

The site is on the outskirts of the town high up so there were amazing views from the site.

We were left to pitch ourselves which we did, near the facilities.

They were adequate with lots of toilets and showers.

It was easy to find and the access was good.

Date of Visit: April 2013 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Borachoman 6 reviews from this member

We spent two wet days here at the end of April during a trip of West/North Wales. The site is on quite a busy road but we were not troubled by noise. The views over Aberystwyth are fantastic, particularly from the pitches at the top of the site. However, the whole site slopes which made levelling our motorhome a real problem. There are sufficient water/waste disposal points around the site & the bonus of free wifi.

It is possible to walk into Aberystwyth but not recommended. The road outside the site is very steep and there is no footpath - very dangerous! The remainder is downhill, built up and not very attractive. Local taxis are plentiful and around 5. 00 each way.

The toilet block is located in what looks like an agricultural building of unfinished breeze blocks & corrugated roof. There is no heating at all making the facility cold & draughty. Whilst there are ample toilets and showers with hot water, this facility was grubby and completely unacceptable in this day and age. We felt that this campsite offered very poor value for money and we will not return.

Date of Visit: October 2012 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Wandrinminstrel 7 reviews from this member

A fantastic stay! We had a bad experience at a caravan park in Borth and decided not to stay so we ventured to Aberystwyth in an attempt to find somewhere. Having tried a site nearest to the town but were not impressed we carried on looking. In Aberystwyth we met a couple with a motorhome and they recommended Midfield as they had just left there. So off we went.

The site is situated approximately 2 miles out of Aberystwyth town. The receptionist was friendly and informative providing us with local information and a list of taxis. As it is October we were told we could park where we wanted to. Not all the pitches are level but this is easily countered with the use of levelling blocks. We went to the top of the site and the views from there were stunning. We actually had 2 sea views!

The toilet block from the outside looks a wee bit drab but once inside they are clean and plentiful and very nice. The showers have limitless hot water. There is also a play area for children. The walk into Aberystwyth itself is all downhill and takes approximately 35 minutes. It is much harder on the return journey obviously being uphill. A taxi from town to the site cost just under 5. 00 and was well worth it. We had an absolutely lovely stay and will definitely return.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Sospan-fach 4 reviews from this member

I was a little apprehensive when arriving at this site having read previous reviews to be honest. I had to leave booking until the last minute as I was travelling around Wales and wasn't sure where I was going to end up!

I was, however, far from disappointed by the whole experience,

The owner was welcoming and very helpful - taking time to chat to people is important and having a very open mind to individual idiosyncrasies equally valuable. She told me all about the local walks and viewpoints, signed me up for the free wireless available at the site and told me, should I need it, that electric hook up was also free!

The site was level with a few sloping pitches which were used by caravans and campervans. No problem finding a level site for my tent.

There was a children's play area which was regularly used and well maintained from what I could tell.

The facilities were more than adequate, free showers and endless hot water. The soap issue wasn't a problem for me but each to their own I guess.

One chap stopped me in the gent's washroom to chat about his thoughts on the site. He said the facilities were outdated and not as good as Caravan Club registered sites. I nodded sagely and thought privately. Why are you here then??

Overall a great experience and would definitely return to see the beautiful Welsh countryside from my tent door!

Date of Visit: August 2010 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: TRAILER TRASH 1 6 reviews from this member

This site is a gem. We were in the top field of the site and the views were amazing. The site was blissfully quiet.The facilities are very simple and in truth could do with an update but were clean. There was always lots of hot water for showers. I have seen comments about the owners not being friendly. They are not gushing but they are good honest people. They were helpful in a straightforward sort of way some might find difficult to understand but they were always helpful. The site is within walking distance of the town centre if you are fit.We would definitely visit again without hesitation.

Date of Visit: August 2007 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: MamaBear 6 reviews from this member

I absolutely love this campsite for the view and location to the beach. The owners made us feel welcome when we first got there but it ended there.
The reception is at a private home and you have to ring the bell and wait for it to be answered.
I felt like I was intruding to the point where I didn't even feel comfortable asking if they freeze blocks for the campers.
I'm not going to go into details but we needed assistance twice and their response to each of those is the reason I felt that I was intruding.
I wonder if this is the reason this site is so empty at a time when it should have been fully booked.
That being said, I wouldn't let that stop me from visiting again, but feel it is a shame that it is that way.

On the plus side, the bathrooms are large and plenty of showers with hot water. As in other reviews, you have to bring your own hand soap. There is a nice dish washing area as well. You will have quite a walk to the loos if camping up on top, but the best views are from up there. Also, we never once used a torch to walk to the loos at night, everything is well lit. The majority of the pitches are level and the others just have a slight slope. It does run along a B road but it never bothered us. There is a small play area for the kids, but has no swings. There are also 2 horses on site and my children loved petting them. On the whole the site is very neat and clean. I do recommend the site and plan on going back. Perhaps the owners were just having a bad week, I know I have mine as well. This is the perfect location for the view and their prices are good. Plenty to see and do in town which is just a stones throw away.
The Varsity Pub in town has some great food. Devil's Bridge is close by, a must if you're in the area.

Previous     18 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Write a Review of this Site to Win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Is Midfield Holiday & Residential Park child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Midfield Holiday & Residential Park?  There is a shop within 1 mile  View all facilities

Is Midfield Holiday & Residential Park dog friendly?  NO  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Aberystwyth      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Ceredigion

UKCS Meet Camping Exhibition, Wokingham 26/06 to 26/07
Approximately 100 different tents on display, and a range of camping accessories ...more