Visitor Reviews - Tattershall Lakes Country Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > East Anglia > Lincolnshire > Site Reviews

Tattershall Lakes Country Park

Fishing On Site   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool On Site   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding   Cycle Hire On Site   Golf On Site   Tennis
 Beach   Watersports On Site   Boat Launch / Mooring
 Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   Dog Walk

Reviews:  96 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10

Date of Visit: July 2018 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: DipikaP 1 review from this member

After a number of emails over the course of the last month between myself and various staff members at Tattershall park I have decided now is an appropriate time to write a review of our stay between August 3-5 2018.

I will start by recommending that you save your money and choose somewhere else. If I could leave a 0 I would. I have never experienced such a terrible stay until this point. Not only was the stay itself terrible but the communication from the team following our stay has been shockingly poor.

This stay was intended to be a group stay where in the end we ended up with a cabin and two XL premium pitches. Overall it was utterly disappointing. We paid premium prices for what essentially comes down to an unsafe, poorly managed site where the customer does not come first.

Some of the issues we faced:

On the second night of our camping stay we came back to our tent at 2am to find a camper van parked up our pitch. We had purchased two XL pitches which should be two of the 10x10m pitches. Combined the space we paid for measured 20mx20m. Given it was 2am when we saw the camper van, we went to bed and I took pictures the next day. After we checked out that morning, I sent these pictures into Tattershall’s guest services team only to be told pictures are not enough evidence of the breach in their own policy. A partial refund was not even offered given the double selling tactics employed.

There were noise disturbances at unsociable hours - which we were expected to report to the 24/7 helpline. This would be understandable and something we would have happily done had we have been told about the emergency line. Unfortunately it wasn’t until we left the site and I started complaining on email that I was told about it. Too late by this point. The noise disturbances consisted of people being chased though the camp site by security so hardly just a barking dog in the wee hours of the night.

We hired five adult bikes during our stay – the brakes on two failed and they were returned. When I complained to Tattershall I was told ‘the bikes are safety checked daily’. If this was the case – they would not have been given to us in the first place. As a gesture of good will – Tattershall have offered two children’s bikes for a half day during a future stay – which given an all adult party an utterly useless gesture.

On the second morning there was no hot water in the campers showers so we had to leave the site without showering. Its been a long and hot summer. Enclosed tents + summer heat = sweaty mess. The inability to shower was most unpleasant.

The entertainment areas are massively understaffed – long queues whether it’s for the bar, food or to hire equipment. On our first evening between placing food orders and the food actually arriving it was a good hour. You would not get thus in any restaurant.

Children driving around in golf buggies – I cannot express just how dangerous this is. Countless times as we were walking we had to jump off to the side to avoid being hit.

There are no walking paths – with the hundreds of cars, golf buggies and bikes riding around, walking paths would make journeys around the park much safer and easier.

Night time lighting is extremely poor – You probably also don't want to walk alone. I did (not by choice) and felt most unsafe given the large groups of boys walking around quite rowdy.

This summer wasps have been everywhere – what would have helped is for bins to be emptied at regular intervals – instead they were constantly overfilled which attracted the wasps even more.

For a balanced view I will mention the good bits:

The views are wonderful and watching the sunset over the lake it mesmerising.

Our party had no problem with the lodge element of our booking, it was clean, well kept and tidy. The hot tub was also really nice, if not a tad small.

In the last month I have contacted Tattersall on email, telephone and twitter outlining the issues we faced - responses have been few and far between, they have offered no real compensation just discounts on bikes should we choose to go again. Honestly – we will never book with them again.

If you are thinking of staying at Tattersall Park – I urge you to read reviews and perhaps look elsewhere. We found it to be poor value for money and generally disappointing.

Date of Visit: July 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Maffeeya 2 reviews from this member

Stayed here for 2 nights at £97. 50 for a so called premium pitch. Oh no it wasn't at all, infact its the worst pitch in 30 yrs of touring ! the pitch was large but uneven and no waste or water and at that price it surely should be. Next to the caravan it was rocky and uneven and the group we were with where all horrified as everywhere you walked itnwas covered in duck excrement and you had to be very careful not to drag this yuk into your caravan and awning. Nothing on the campsite made us all wish to return and we most definitely wont ever return here, the price is disgusting for a pitch of this quality as we often go to sites that are much better and cleaner for half this price. Totally disgusted and ripped off!

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Somanyhands 5 reviews from this member

We made our maiden voyage in our newly DIY-converted campervan to Tattershall Lakes as it was closeby (an hour away - close for Lincolnshire!) and we'd heard good things.

The park itself is great with good amenities and quite a bit to do.

We were VERY glad, however, that we'd only been able to book into the 'quieter' Woodland pitch area (we booked late) because the main touring site looked awful. It seemed so cramped and very crowded (which you'd expect, I suppose, being summer holidays) and I would definitely choose the woodland retreat specifically if/when we go again.

Staff were excellent, on-site restaurant was good (except for the steak which was very mediocre and definitely NOT the medium-rare I'd ordered) and facilities were clean if a little lacking in number. Fortunately, being a fully-equipped van, we didn't really need to use them so much.

Would definitely visit again, but perhaps off-peak next time.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Light Infantry 10 reviews from this member

To Start - The holiday park at Tattershall on the face of it looks good. But it is very expensive, the top field for tourers are crammed together like sardines with no organisation as to where pitches are or who is entitled to what pitch. The noise from the RAF Base is something else. Now I lived in Germany for 4 years and I was used to large jest flying over the married quarters. Phantoms and Lightning’s. REAL noisy jets. So I was used to the noise they make, or so I thought. The jets started taking off at 1000hrs every day Monday to Friday and went on till 1800hrs at night. I mean literally all day the jets where making practice abort Landing and Take offs and getting in to the air right over the caravan site. Their afterburners on just as they took off. The noise was truly appalling. By Wednesday we had enough as the noise was starting t get us down. I knew of the RAF Base, I knew what noise jets make what I did not know and what they don't advertise is that the noise is continuous for 8 hours a day except for Pilot NAFFI breaks.

Tattershall although advertises that tourers are welcome is more a static site. Take one look in the shop and there is nothing on sale for caravaners. No parts or bits and bobs that a caravaner would need if he runs out hose, plugs, fuses the likes. Tourers to Tattershall are cash cows to spend their money in a very expensive complex. For example, I went with my son for a game of crazy golf. The sign said £3 per game and if in a group a £5 deposit was required. So I walked up to the cabin and stuck my hand out with my £3 in it and asked for a game and was told that it would be £11 as they required £5 deposit. I am still working out how 2 people constitute a group. I am 63 years old for God’s sake what did he think I was going to do with the golf stick in a totally fenced off crazy golf course. £11 just to have a game of crazy golf with my son. No I did not pay it and No I would not go back or recommend it to anyone.

The Amenities are basic.

The showers have no seats in them and there is a shelf that is about 6 foot up the wall. How children manage is beyond me. I am 63 and have trouble with me knees and spine no seat made taking a shower a truly painful experience.

The meals are expensive and the entertainment when we where there is more of a 60's workingman’s club type with bingo that is hard to hear for the kids then when that is finished it just kid’s entertainment that is on. Only one night was there a turn on and he was upstairs in the lounge.

The first night there I was getting a wash in the washroom when a couple of kids came in and started washing dog poo of their trainers in one of the “3” sinks. Now with no cleaning done through the night god only knows who used that sink for cleaning their teeth in before it was cleaned.

If you go to Tattersall ONLY GO AT WEEKENDS when the RAF base is closed that is unless they have an air show on. Take plenty of money if you have kids (the number of parents explaining to kids that they could not afford things was saddening). Don’t expect great tourer treatment as they are geared for static members.

Last word.

If you are called Smith and you arrive on the site and the reception on the field asks your name and you say Smith and he walks off to get your paperwork and you just know he is going to come back with the wrong Smith because he omitted to ask one vital question (the first name) then you know you need to get off that site very smartly. No organisation whatsoever.

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Crozzy 3 reviews from this member

We have just got back from a four day stay on the site, we have been visiting the site now for about 5 years and in the 5 years seen many changes mostly for the better the staff could not have been more helpful and friendly there is at the moment a lot of building work going on so the site a little noisy and not looking its best but when finished it will be fantastic.

The new complex is open and includes a great shop and amusements the bar area is fantastic with entertainment in the evenings and food served all day. If you go in the week it is noisy from the RAF base nearby but personally I love it and it does go quiet at weekends but there is always the chance to see a spitfire hurricane or if your really lucky the Lancaster bomber.

The pool is small but very usable didn't use the spa so not able to comment, there is always something going on on the lakes to watch or if you prefer they make for good walks.

We stayed over the weekend this time mainly we go in the week and the site was very busy and we found ourselves a little trapped in so if I had to make a criticism I think spacing on the touring site needs a little work, I thought we might struggle using the shower blocks because they are individual units and there was only eight they include a shower toilet and basin in your own room which I loved, but although the site was busy the toilets were kept clean and I had no trouble getting showered.

The rates are very reasonable if you can pick and choose when you stay to finish off this review! Staff facilities value for money very good touring pitches just need a little more work.

Date of Visit: April 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Buddyboo 1 review from this member

Have just spent a long weekend here. Upon arrival the staff were very helpful and in a matter of moments were showing us to our pitch. The weather was pretty appalling and the field was very muddy, fortunately we were placed on the edge. We did find that the pitches seemed to be smaller then we understood from the website and appeared to be all over the place and very disorganised. And quite clearly the rules on setting up and the space between pitches was totally irrelevant. We found ourselves pitched next to a seasonal pitch which had spread out, on what appeared to be our pitch! But as previously said, pitches so disorganised difficult to say for sure. And we do like to get out and about so wasn't too fussed.

With that said, we had a lovely time The lakes on site are a pleasure to walk round. And some great amenities for families. Although not used so can't really comment, the indoor pool looked lovely even if on the small side for the size of site. Also fab location for getting about, with RAF Coningsby on the doorstep, its a fantastic site for RAF/ plane enthusiasts (although a bit noisy when flying over!)

The washroom facilities were adequate with hot showers. Which were very clean everytime we used them.

If your not to fussy about how your pitched, this is a very nice site to visit.

We will definitely be returning.

Date of Visit: September 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Sweet_kitten 1 review from this member

Had a great time in our little caravan. The staff were very welcoming and always available to help in any way they could. The facilities were always kept clean and tidy. Only problem we had was with the internet but tattershall lakes cant control that side of any holiday but you don't need internet to have a great holiday at TATTERSHALL LAKES. There is also a good play area for the kids to have fun. See you soon as already booked and ready to come again in a couple of weeks time.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Callie968 57 reviews from this member

Really disappointed with this site as I had high hopes for our visit.

Touring area overcrowded, hemmed in on all sides with no privacy, no pitching rules or monitoring therefore many pitches had large vans, multiple cars, party gazebos and pup tents spreading out over other pitches, pitches far too close therefore you could hear music, conversations and partying until the early hours. Water tap on next field so long walk for water/bins.

Beach area small and crammed in, Pool very small and over subscribed, small arcade and shop.

Lakes beautiful lovely walks for the dog this has the potential to be fantastic but was badly let down by the poor facilities, small pitches and overcrowding on the camping field wouldn't stay again or recommend.

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Shambaholic 2 reviews from this member

Friendly and helpful staff from the start. I was offered a pitch close to the children play area which I happily accepted, as convenient to our needs. However, it was also next to the road I drove into site on. This only became a problem at night (ALL night!) when some boy racers used the road, ignoring speed limits, peace, and safety of anyone else. It would have been nice to see some security dealing with though as I didn't feel very safe in a tent! Less of that as I have complained to the site. It was lovely surroundings, and really good for children on the main field, sturdy play area, well maintained, good sized pitch, but ground is hard, take your best pegs! Little beach was ideal, and close to bar so you could really relax while kids play safely. Awesome evening entertainment, bit of everything, kids disco, bingo, show and so on. Small on site shop was ok. (Nisa). Also small co op in nearby Coningsby. Lovely walk by lakes, and saw some of th speedboats and water skiing available. Showerrooms/ toilets, well I've seen better but its a busy site. In all, we had a good stay (minus the all night race track) but I would stay in the quieter meadow area if I went back.

Date of Visit: April 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Millerblade 1 review from this member

Our first time properly camping. We LOVE IT! So this site obviously was a hit with us and made us fall in love with camping.

4 out of 5.

PROS:

1) Beautiful site.

2) The lakes are stunning. Some quiet ones which are picturesque and some like the jetski one which are fun to sit and watch people, full of action!

3) All staff were friendly and very helpful

4) Toilets/shower blocks very well looked after and maintained and kept clean and even kept clean by the guests.

5) Fantastic little sandy beach/sea area with deck chairs

6) Great little enclosed football pitch

7) Pitches were level and had no problem pegging

8) A good mixture of tents, motorhomes and vans

9) Great entertainment for kids at night and the adults!

10) Bar has skysports! (Kept hubby happy!)

11) Great on site shop, had everything we wanted including things I didn't know I needed like citronella candles, a windbreak, painkillers and hot chocolate!

12) massive site to walk dogs round or without a dog.

13) food is nice from the cafe/restaurant

14) co-op, chinese, bank machine is 5mins in the car

15) bigger village with little shops and hardware shops is 15mins away in a car

16) lincoln is 35mins away

CONS

1) Not allowed to take your dogs into ANY of the buildings such as bar (upstairs one or downstairs) or cafe. Which when weather isnt warm enough to sit outside you have no choice but to stay on your tent! A lot of sites these days allow dogs into the bar areas.

2) NOT a single pub nearby allows dogs in.

3) Alcohol in the on site bar is VERY expensive

NOTE:- RAF base is near. Jets are nice to look at and bombers. However for me after 10mins the excitement of watching the jets do loop the loop wore off and the noise got on my nerves. They didn't do it on the weekend but did all day everyday Monday and Tuesday. It didn't bother my husband at all and he would put this as a pro! I would put this as a con. So thought it better just to note it :)

Hope my first review has been helpful :)

Cant wait to return but perhaps sometime without a dog.

Previous     96 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Lincolnshire

Win a Broadlands 5A Inflatable Tent Bundle worth over £885 Win an OLPRO Shade Campervan Canopy worth £119

UKCS Meet The VolksWorld Show 23rd to 24th March, Surrey