Visitor Reviews - Stroma View Campsite

Campsite Search > UK > Scotland > Highlands > John O Groats > Stroma View Campsite Reviews

Stroma View Campsite

Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   No Wifi Access
 No Fishing   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport On Site  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  20 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: June 2019 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Nights stayed: 1 Travelling as:  Retired couple
Reviewer: Dot P 584 reviews from this member

Reading the very mixed reviews we were unsure on this one. Rang and made a booking that afternoon. Arrived and pitched up with plenty of space on site.

The site is right on the main road, after 7pm we didn't hear any road noise, the road goes very quiet. Pitching is on a large gravel area edged with a large well cut grass area. Electric hook up available and included in the price.

Loos - ladies were immaculate, freshly painted, plenty of hot water, very clean, loo roll etc. Apparently mens could do with a paint but very clean etc.

We didn't ask to use showers, you pay and he unlocks - fine with us as why pay if not using.

This site is perfect for NC500 £10 per night including electric and loos is an amazing bargain (the bigger sites are £22+). There are glorious views over Stroma, its easy to find and easy to pitch.

Possibly customer service isn't something the owner has an abundance of, we did find him a bit off-hand and not the most welcoming. That said we thought his site was great for a night stopover and would recommend it if you want somewhere for an overnight.

Date of Visit: December 2018 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Caraid68 6 reviews from this member

Just back from Stroma View where we spent 3 nights over Hogmany. Facilities are clean and the price is very cheap. £10 per night for 2 with electric. Showers are extra, but worth it. Last stayed here in 1996 and it was a bit dire. So a big improvement. It is very unique and is a place not to be missed!

Date of Visit: September 2018 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: J crackoe 1 review from this member

Stroma View Campsite - this one does not advertise at all! Least of all as being on the NC500 route - although it is on it! I think (though I may be wrong) that the is no mention of the NC500 on their webpage. It's true that the showers are available 0nly on request, they are £2. 00 per use, as it says on their information page. I asked to use a shower and it was the best shower I've used in a long time - it has a wall heater. I was happy to pay the £2. 00 asked for. This will not 'disturb' the owners (why would it if that's what they want?). They were helpful and pleased to provide it - If anything is 'unique' at all it's having an attended shower! It's an excellent campsite for the price (£10 not including the showers - but with them it's still cheap (£7. 00 p. P. P. N. )) - if you want somewhere to park with good facilities. By the way, if you want to know anything about this place look at their website (they like to call it an 'information page') all you need to know is there - and apparently nowhere else. PS: If you want to fill a water tank just ask where the fill-up point is - I did and it's free (in the price). The campsite lacks a laundry - I suppose in that way it's basic - but what do we expect for £10?

Date of Visit: June 2018 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Awiseman 1 review from this member

I stayed at this site in June 2018 and I found it very good. Epecially in the shower department, which was roomy and heated. The whole place was clean and tidy and although not particularly large (in fact it's small and basic) and although it's built of cheap (or should that be 'economical') materials it was large enough for me and I presume for the five other campervans that were there - after all, you don't pay til you get there and you can have a look round before that - so if you don't like it why stay?

I liked it and stayed. It's not weighed down by a load of regulations likes some of the sites I've been to, and according to the campsite owner - 'We do things differently here - it's not everyone' 'cup of tea', but it's the way things are. '

I enjoyed my short stay there. I think for the price (which was £22.50 for one person for 3 nights in a campervan)

It's one of the best sites I've been to.

I'm not sure what is meant by 'EHU not great' (a review Dated -/03/2018) - I assume it means Elec. hook-up, you just plug into it don't you? It can deliver 15A @ 240v (=3. 75Kw) for as long as you like - so what's Not great? I also had no problem with grey water waste (if it's in a cassette), and the chemical disposal also worked ok!

Date of Visit: March 2018 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Lorfal 21 reviews from this member

It is what it is. Itís cheap, perfectly suited for gills bay ferry.

We stayed overnight for early am ferry next day. Itís a great situation with wonderful views.

Itís cheap and fine to park overnight with EHU Facilities not so great. Toilet area was clean enough and there has been an attempt to make it bright with paint. You are limited to 10 min shower time. Dull, dark and not appealing at all so we didnít use them. No grey waste disposal point at all (told just to let water out up a track). Chemical disposal point disgusting Iím afraid.

Site is slightly sloping, all hardstanding, very car park like.

Itís not somewhere Iíd chose to spend time for anything other than an overnight park, but the price does reflect that which is fair enough.

Date of Visit: October 2017 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Custard15 16 reviews from this member

This is a lovely little site, especially for campervans and caravans looking for a night or two near (but outside) of John OíGroats. Sorry, I canít comment on tent facilities as a one night stay in October meant that I parked on the gravel area at the front, and was thrilled to have EHU and a heated facility block for a VERY reasonable fee. Happy to pay cash at this small site which as you can tell is an addition to a home, not a commercial venture. The site facilities were clearly created with love and care, and continue to be maintained in the same fashion.

We dropped in one tea-time, very pleased to spot a site that was open in October while doing a late season NC500 circuit. The house door was opened and we were immediately invited to step in out of the wind but the lovely owner John.

OK so thereís only one shower and two toilets for each genderÖ but thatís plenty. The shower have large changing areas with heaters, benches, lot of hooks etc. The shower instructions tell you how to get the best out of them and promise up to 10 minutes of hot water. I canít imagine needing any longer. Not only is there a hand drier in the ladies, but also a hairdryer and a standard electrical socket- facilities that many commercial sites donít bother with. Oh and HEATING ! I cannot say enough about how well built and equipped the site facilities are, how clean they areÖ not a cobweb in sight, and the plushest loo roll of any campsite Iíve visited in Scotland!

Road noise? Ha! Thereís not much traffic on this road through the evening/night.

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Philwil 1 review from this member

Regarding Stroma View Camping site. I read some reviews and when I arrived was somewhat confused. You don't pay anything until you get there so if you don't like it why stay? I didn't understand the 'looking enviously' - envious of whom? I was at stroma View during early August and found it suitable enough. It's not the 'Ritz' but what does anyone want for £13. 00 which is what it cost the two of us in a largish tent.

Camping here was basic and cheap, just what it says on its website - which by the way is the only website I could find that gives prices and tells you exactly what's there - and as I said before you don't pay till you get there.

It's just a campsite, somewhere you stay for a few facilities. There may be nothing to do in the area, but that's hardly the fault of the campsite. I asked a member of the campsite staff and was told that if you want to leave you're only charged per hour for the time you actually stayed - I stayed. The one up the road had nothing this one didn't - except a lot more noise.

Oh! and by the way, we found the water fill-up hose easily [it took two minutes to find] although we didn't need it.

Date of Visit: June 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Headgardener 35 reviews from this member

This small site is on the south side of the main Thurso to John O'Groats road. The road is fairly busy during the day but between 7 pm and 7 am we were not at all bothered by road noise. All pitches are hardstanding and slightly sloping.

There are plenty EHUs, the only drinking water point I could find was in the wash-up, the toilets and showers looked clean but a bit dated - we did not use them as we prefer our own facilities. The chemical disposal point is -- unique but functional!

The owners were friendly and came round in the morning to see if everything was OK.

This site is handy for the ferry terminal at Gills Bay and very reasonably priced.

Date of Visit: July 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Pavlovscat 5 reviews from this member

Been motorhoming for 2 years and this is the worst site I've visited. No fresh water supply suitable for tank filling. (apparently up an adjacent track- but couldn't find it. Nothing in the vicinity. Getting the ferry from J. O. G. I looked enviously at the site there and would have gladly paid any extra it would have cost.

Date of Visit: March 2017 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Timrumley 7 reviews from this member

Very handy site for John O'Groats, and the surrounding area. Intended to catch Ferry from Gills Bay to Orkney so ideally sited for this. Site has solid ground for campervans in wet and windy March. Given how windy it was the site was quite sheltered. Small site, wih friendly owner and very reasonably priced. Shower and bathrooms fine and clean. Small number of spaces and used electric hook up and all was fine.

Previous     20 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Highlands

Win a £299 Clarke IG1200B Suitcase Generator! Win an Outwell Electric Barbecue Package worth over £205

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 6 to 7th July, Derbyshire