Reviews of Silver Sands Holiday Park

Campsite Search > UK > Scotland > Moray > Lossiemouth > Silver Sands Holiday Park Reviews

Silver Sands Holiday Park
Covesea West Beach
Lossiemouth
Moray   (Browse area)
IV31 6SP

Open: 01/03/2021 to 31/10/2021

Statics for Hire   Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 Electric Hookups   No Hardstandings   Fully Serviced Pitches   Show Full Facilities
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   Freezer / Fridge    Motorhome Point
 Shop On Site   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   Wifi Access
 Kids Playground   No TV Room   Games Room   Evening Entertainment
 Fishing On Site   Wild Swimming On Site   Indoor Pool On Site   No Outdoor Pool
 No Horse Riding   No Cycle Hire   Golf <1 mile   No Tennis
 Beach On Site   Watersports <1 mile   Boat Launch / Mooring <5 miles
 Coastside Pitches   Public Transport <5 miles  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  40 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4

Date of Visit: August 2020 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Nights stayed: 3 Travelling as:  Family with young children
Reviewer: Orangepeel 11 reviews from this member

The worst pitch I have ever stayed on. A mix of gravel, sand, fag butts and beer bottle tops. And the odd clump of grass.

Can't comment on the shower block due to covid, However the toilets in the entertainment centre was open

The only thing this site has going for it is its location. Lovely sandy beaches nearby.

Date of Visit: July 2020 Unit:  Motorhome
Nights stayed: 1 Travelling as:  Family with young children
Reviewer: Avalonjim 1 review from this member

Always wanted to visit this site due to its location. Which is great.

Now back to the site. Great welcome.

Then downhill after that. We booked in for one night luckily. On a standard pitch. Grass suitable for tourers and tents.

Could only describe as a litter strewn waste land. No grass. The odd weed. So decided to upgrade from 30 to 35 fully serviced pitch. Was better with some grass. But then realised on the pitch some rubbish which included a pair of used surgical gloves. We left with refund.

A company that doesn't really care about tourers obviously. But quite happy to charge top dollar for a dust bowl. Considering there's no facilities due to the virus. They have had all spring to do something about the pitches.

We have been touring for many years. Easily the worst.

Date of Visit: April 2018 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Fionagh1 3 reviews from this member

Camping pitches poor with limited choice. Lots of stones on very dry soil. Site facilities good.

Location excellent. We were disappointed overall with site this year due to limited pitches.

Site has been increased for static thus reducing pitches for campers.

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Spender58 2 reviews from this member

Let me just say what a fabulous location. Right on the beach. Now let's look at the rest. We arrive and check in, fine. Well organised. We head to our fully serviced pitch. No electric working. OK so we move to another pitch. No water. I am disabled and moving again was too much so my wife just goes to someone else's pitch to get the water. They don't mind because campers help each other. My point is that this place isn't cheap and we expected the quality to match the price.

Tonight we went to their bar/restaurant. OMG! I went to the bar and got a bottle of Becks and a Malibu and Coke. 6. 25. OK it's expensive I drank the Becks and went back to order a 2nd round. This time I asked for Becks again and a different barmaid said 'alcohol free? ', I said 'no just Becks', she said 'we only have alcohol free Becks'! So I had just spent 3 on lager flavoured water! I said to the girl who served me originally that she had served me alcohol free Becks.

She said 'oh I'm sorry I didn't know it was alcohol free'. OK take it on the chin. Anyway, I ordered a Bud and a glass of Rose. 8. 20! Ouch! Got back to our seat and the glass with the rose was filthy so our son took it back. He returned with the rose in a half pint tumbler.

No large wine glasses left. Classy eh! We then get told our meal is ready. So of we trot to be fed. My steak and my sons were overcooked, the wife's hunters chicken was stone cold, and the kids pizza was burned.

To add a touch of class they served the steak on a chopping board which had a blue gingham paper towel on it. As soon as I poured on the peppercorn sauce the blue gingham paper towel disintegrated and stuck to the steak. So I and my son had blue gingham paper towel flavoured overcooked steak. You couldn't make it up.

My advice here is. Come to the site for the location because it's terrific, don't expect the quality of the pitch to match the price they charge.

Date of Visit: April 2017 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Wildrover58 5 reviews from this member

Not the best organised site I have been on in recent years, chaotic at reception when large number of units arrived at same time. Was free to select own pitch, some had parked head first, some tail first resulting in awnings facing awnings.

Utility blocks are fairly modern and adequate for the site.

Site was quiet at night, exception being when the Typhoons take off at night from adjacent airfield, nobody can sleep through that.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Sunny Jim 60 8 reviews from this member

Typical static site that takes tourers but appears not to really want them! We counted 24 electric sockets out of use which made it hard to find 2 pitches together.

Hard standing is a bit misleading, there are stones to pak on! Idea is good but people were just parking any where as the site didn't monitor in any way.

There were no drains for the grey waste, which had to be taken to the toilet block and pulled up 3 stairs.

Toilet block looks relatively new but bits were missing in the showers, hooks had disappeared, toilets weren't working etc, which is a big shame.

Laundry room also has 3 bathrooms which were well used. On site facilities included food and drink, swimming pool and gym.

Please improve the touring site

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Nick McP 9 reviews from this member

Spent one night here with tent. This is our third year we have camped at this site and will be the last. They are obviously catering for status vans and motor homes etc and each year we have been the camping area has got smaller and smaller.

Facilities are ok, nice to have a bar but the staff aren't that great, a bit scruffy and unprofessional.

The bar is always busy and people drink copious amounts of alcohol which is fine if you want that type of holiday.

The best bit about this site is how close it is to RAF Lossiemouth. Great watching the Tornados and Typhoons.

Date of Visit: April 2015 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Kerry74 4 reviews from this member

I stayed here for one night with my husband and two young children in our Motorhome recently.

First the positives; brilliant location for the beach, on site shop and chip shop (which we didn't use), good children's play area, gated entry and warm shower.

Negatives; unprofessional staff - (not unpleasant), but not very knowledgable about the different types of pitches available. Also, when I returned the gate card on departure, the receptionist didn't bother to enquire as to whether or not we enjoyed our stay. Although the showers were nice and warm, the cubicles leaked water all over the floor where you get dressed. The shower hose leaked and one of the cubicles had a broken lock. Surely all these things are easily fixed? Our pitch was thankfully far away from the evening entertainment noise, the downside being that it was quite a distance to the toilet/shower block. On the way to the beach, there is an area of the park that looks like a rubbish tip. Presumably a section where decrepit statics were dismantled, but not very well! There is no effort to shield the view of this unsightly mess from site users.

We didn't use the pool or the bar, so we can't comment on these facilities. I think this site could benefit from improved management, the points I have mentioned are easily rectified and knowledgable helpful staff is the very least I would expect. When I am next visiting Moray I'll be looking elsewhere for a campsite, unless there are some improvements.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: ArchieRosie 1 review from this member

We booked in at silver sands for a few days on the basis of location and the introduction of new serviced, hard standing pitches, as well as the upgraded toilet and shower block.

Location was excellent, with easy access to Lossiemouth and Elgin. The sight is also located at the beach, which is fantastic.

Unfortunately, the silver sands website was misleading in terms of their new hard standing, serviced pitches. The pitches are too small and only the area for the caravan was hard standing. Located next to this was an area of grass that was not even the same length as the pitch for the van. If pitching my awning on this grass area, only two thirds of the awning would have been on the grass. The other third would have been sitting on soil, which would have turned very muddy in the rain. In addition to this, there is no space allocated to park your car next to the caravan and awning. All new hard standing pitches are small and tightly crammed in together with very tight access roads. I was unable to reverse the van onto the pitch given the close proximity of the neighbouring pitches. Surrounding areas to access the electric and water supplies were also very muddy - again, not hard standing and far from ideal when it rains. Our neighbours on the next pitch explained that some people actually got stuck trying to manoeuvre their car and/or caravan in this area due to the soil and mud.

I can't help but think if silver sands had created slightly less new hard standing pitches, but allowed for more space on each pitch and made each pitch and the surrounding area all hard standing (with room for your car) this could have been a valuable addition to the site.

I did not stay on the new serviced, hard standing pitch and requested to be moved to one of the older grass pitches. The ground at that pitch was not very level so not great for the awning, but at least it was not as muddy.

During our stay the noise and loud music on the Sunday evening was not acceptable and it went on until the early hours of the Monday morning. Also there were many groups of people drinking from early on the Sunday afternoon creating an intimidating atmosphere, which was not great when you are visiting for a quiet break with young family.

The site was not very clean in terms of rubbish and many of the bins were overflowing onto the ground for the first couple of days.

Although the toilet and shower block had been recently updated, the finish was very poor, e. G. Some of the shower doors would not close properly/were hanging off into the cubicle. The shower and toilet block was not kept clean and given the weather, it became very dirty and muddy. It was not acceptable that only on the morning of our final day did I see a cleaner in the toilet block for the first time.

With all of the above said, the site is in a great location, has an excellent park for the kids and even has it's own shop and fish and chip shop on site. Nevertheless, unfortunately we will not be returning to silver sands.

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Capt-thow 1 review from this member

Just spent a weekend at this campsite. Had glorious weather and the area is beautiful. Great for dog lovers as beach is so close by. The site was full which is of course a great sign and the kids were all having fun. This site is now under new management and small changes for the good have been made however the one area they really do need to focus on is the toilet block. There is one large block for the site and this is not adequate. The toilets/showers are dated and awful. The shower pressure is zero and there really needs to be more cleaning rounds particularly at peak season. Been in lots of campsites and if the toilets are clean and showers good it really does make you rerun time and time again. Hope management can invest in new modern toilet block rather than focus attention on the sales side of things.

Previous     40 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Write a Review of this Site to Win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Is Silver Sands Holiday Park child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Does Silver Sands Holiday Park have a swimming pool?  YES, there is a pool on site  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Silver Sands Holiday Park?  There is a shop on site  View all facilities

Is Silver Sands Holiday Park dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Lossiemouth      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Moray

UKCS Meet Scottish Caravan and Motorhome VIRTUAL Show 03/02 to 06/02
Browse the latest models, research purchases and watch expert webinars, all from the comfort of your sofa ...more