Visitor Reviews - Thurston Manor

Pitches: 80 + statics
Open: 08/02 To 03/01

No Tents   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   No Glamping Units
 Statics for Hire   Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 No Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 Shop On Site   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   Wifi Access
 Fishing On Site   No Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool On Site   No Outdoor Pool
 Beach 10 miles   Watersports 10 miles   No Boat Launch
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport On Site  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  42 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Youngbunch 2 reviews from this member

Picked up new sprite at dealer and went straight here for first 3 nights. On arrival given location that was close to a steep slope. First time reverse, off hitch and we were out positionally. Two staff saw us and immediately came over to help which was appreciated very much.

This is a large residential site but did not seem crowded.

Used the pool, sauna and steam room - all good level for size of site.

Site was busy but plenty of room. Excellent facilities and staff (thanks guys !)

We will be back

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Missarahmlee@hotmai 21 reviews from this member

TOURING - I'm not sure how I feel about this site. So much was good, access, level pitch, good shop- very reasonably priced and does hot snacks, pleasant bar with meals etc etc. However, I was constantly irritated by the state of the showers and wash up. The site is clean and tidy - bin area immaculate - hanging baskets watered daily but the showers are not maintained to the same standard - bizarre !

On arrival we were allocated a pitch that was already taken, this was quickly sorted. One day there was a blockage in the showers causing a flood, again, this was quickly resolved but regular thorough cleaning of the toilets showers and sinks dosent happen.

We chose this site as it had a pool but didn't realise tourers have to pay extra. It was 4. 80 for me and my son and he enjoyed the jaccuzzi. However, there is a fabulous pool in Dunbar with flume and wave machine with lovely views out to sea which I would recommend instead. It was 11 for 4 of us and the kids, 13 and 9, were allowed to go in on a return visit without us being in the water, which they weren't at Thurston.

There are two shower blocks at Thurston they are sited together one behind the other. One is normal shower and separate toilet cubicles the other is family rooms. On arrival we were asked if we wanted a key to the blocks. 5 deposit or 10 for family rooms. After using the normal block we changed and got a key to the family rooms. The normal block was just small grim and dirty with dirty shower curtains. The family rooms were better but have an accumulation of dirt around the edges in corners etc. Some had shower stools in and these need a scrub. Bin lid handles are missing - haidryers work but its a pathetic breeze from all of them. Its such a shame when it could be so good.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Susan43 4 reviews from this member

It was our first visit to Thurston Manner as tent campers, our party was two grandmas and three grandchildren ages 7, 8, 9. This is the first time we have used a camp site with activities other than just a play park. We have to say a big thank you to kids club staff, the children enjoyed a couple of activities at the kids club and we were coerced to go to the evening entertainment by another family, the children really enjoyed it. So did we.

The site is clean and has a super shop that stocks almost everything, we even managed to buy a screw bulb for our lamp. The prices are so reasonable, don't bother to bring your stock cupboard with you, if push comes to shove there is an Asda 10 mins away. We also bought lovely bacon rolls for breakfast, hot pies and home made soup for lunch.

There is a nice swimming pool at a very reasonable charge, free for under 5s, 1. 80 for up to 15, Senior citizens 2. 65 & Adults 3. 10.

The toilet block is a bit dated but does the job, they are cleaned regularly but we had rain so there was the inevitable mud from boots. We couldn't see why other campers habitual missed the bin for the paper towels or left yards of toilet paper on the floor, staff cant be there all the time to pick up after unsocial people. There is also a good 2 sink washing up area with piping hot water.

Every pitch has an electric hook up

We had a lovely day at East Links Family Park ask at desk for a 20% off voucher

The staff were all very helpful and we will use this site again I also recommend booking as while we were there it was very busy especially over the weekend also have heavy duty pegs the ground is very stony

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Kerry10 3 reviews from this member

Returned from here last week great site for entertainment play park and on site shop got all you need even cheap off licence sell hot rolls and soup we had 7 of our kids with us ages from 2 - 13 and they loved park and football pitches right next to our site toilet and showers clean staff friendly kids love vinnies bar 1 bit bar other side kids bar had fruit shoots for 50p which from a pub is cheap sell slushies sweets all good prices adult drinks usual pub prices all in great time would return only issue is next time we would bring hard ground pegs don't know what was her before but pegs only go in so far then you need to bend and half don't even stay in its all gravel under surface but we have 10 man tent had torrential rain and heavy wind but what we got in was adequate but would defo invest in hard pegs next time wouldn't put me off going back

Date of Visit: February 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Ginger75bc 1 review from this member

Stayed 2 nights with my wife and 3yo son on a grass pitch beside the playpark. Originally booked a hard standing but I didn't like the pitch which was next to the toilet block and was a little too hard for an over-active 3yo. Reception staff very helpful in finding me a more appropriate pitch.

The playpark was very good, unfortunately 1 swing was broken but otherwise it was good and the wee fella loved it.

The shop did't stock much with lots of empty shelves but it had the essentials alongside some useful extras such as gas regulators etc. This was helpful when faced with changing our bottles from Butane to Propane due to the cold weather.

Bottles are available from Reception and reasonably priced.

The toilet facilities were fine although I noticed that they were only cleaned once when we were there. I could still smell paint when I arrived so I guess they are making an effort to freshen things up a little.

The separate family showers were a pleasant surprise in terms of the space they offered but they are showing their age and could do with a makeover.

Washing up facilities are outdoors with a little overhang to try and keep the bad weather off you which isn't ideal but it was functional.

Restaurant was nicely decorated and comfortable enough, but the bar did seem a little tired although it was clean.

On one visit we were told there was a long wait for food due to staffing issues however the staff were very helpful offering alternatives (3 takeaways in Dunbar which deliver) but in the end we decided to stay and we were served within 15 minutes. Great service.

Good range of food, reasonably priced and tasty, they also offer a limited take away menu which was handy.

We didn't use the leisure pool but it looked good and everyone seemed to be enjoying it. The pool is closed as I type this for 1 week to allow the pool floor to be re-grouted.

All the staff we spoke to were very helpful, the kids entertainment was also good with lots of singing, jumping and running about at night which helped tire the wee fella and some fun activities during the day (although we didn't stay there long).

Read some reviews about the wardens driving around in vans, to be honest we didn't see any of that whilst we were there and if anything it would have been nice and reassuring to see them once in a while.

There were a few large groups staying on site which included children of various ages sometimes running wild in the playpark but never when we were using it.

We only ventured out of the park once to visit the local ASDA (as you do) which is only a few minutes drive away but we didn't visit any of the other local attractions.

The site is very accessible with good roads.

I think we received good value for money as we paid out of season, however I'm not sure if I would pay peak prices for the same site as the price just seemed a little too steep.

Phone signal is poor to non existent (3 network).

Free WIFI is available within the bar area but this wasn't great either.

Overall I enjoyed our stay, the park was very busy with tourers and none of the negative points were bad enough to spoil my visit. The staff were excellent with some going the extra mile for us and we all had a great time.

I will definitely go back to this site.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Jack_igm 30 reviews from this member

Stayed here for 3 nights as a stop over when returning home from the Netherlands. Site was easy to access however we arrived later than expected at 19:30 and when I went to check in at Reception I was told they were closed and I could find my designated pitch outside. I found the receptionist to be quite rude and abrupt with no information but luckily a nice security fellow took us to where our pitch was.

We were assigned pitch 67 which was a good pitch but was very exposed as it was quite windy during our stay. We never suffered any damaged but several tents near us suffered quite a bit of damage and it was a nightmare getting our awning down, but wind is to be expected at Scottish sites especially ones near to the coast

The site was advertising snacks from the bar after 9pm and having arrived late decided this would be a quick option although when we went to eat were told that they did not have any snacks even though they had a big sign outside the bar.

Went to the shop in the morning to get some food for breakfast but they were quite low on stock so only managed to get some bacon and Eggs.

Swimming pool was small but adequate but I was surprised when we had to pay to access it, although it was under 8 for 5 of us so not a big deal.

The only thing I really did not like was that nearly every caravan and tent had a dog with them and whilst I like dogs was nervous having young kids there as many of the dogs were Bull terriers, but luckily they were well controlled by their owners.

Shower block being locked was a pain with a 10 key deposit. There were showers in the main toilet block but these were quite small and not big enough to wash kids in but the 2nd shower block with the key deposit has some huge family shower rooms.

Would totally agree with some of the other comments about the entertainment centre being like a working mans club. We did not really enjoy this site and I really can't put my finger on it. Maybe it was due to the abrupt attitude when we tried to check in or maybe we just had a bad experience, but don't think we would come back here which is a real shame as this site probably has some potential.

There is a good sized Asda just down the A1 towards Dunbar.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Breger 4 reviews from this member

Just returned from a weekend break here with 2 other adults and a child. Check in was painless and wardens pleasant and efficient. Only downside - I found out later - was that after paying 5 for shower key, I could not access the shower block. Seemingly you have to pay another 5 for this. All very confusing as showers in men's toilets are free (and you don't need a key to get in!). Although the pitches were slightly cramped (it was very busy) there was enough room for the MH, car and awning on a grass pitch. Amenities on site were good. Playpark for kids - excellent, bar/lounge area offered excellent choice of food and very tasty too at a reasonable price. My only comment is that some guests who had obviously decided to stay in the bar area all day were getting a bit spicy with their language during early evening and absolutely not suitable for kids to be hearing that. Pool area was fine but small and although kids were not supposed to be in jacuzzi there were 6 in it when I was there. Parents obviously decided to ignore the signs! All-in-all a decent weekend but if I'm honest not really my type of site. Maybe I prefer a slightly quieter few days away from the tattooed masses.

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Trinny37 1 review from this member

We (me hubby and Two kids) took our camplet to this campsite in the Beginning of May and had a fantastic time. They have a great play park that is visible from most tent pitches that the kids loved.

Toilet blocks were always clean and the newer block behind the main toilets were fantastic with communal family showers which is great when you have young kids.

The leisure facilities are great. We used the swimming and although small was clean and kept the kids happy. Night time disco was a big hit and the DJ (Daryle) was excellent with the children. We ate in the pub and it was good pub grub at a decent price. The shop was also good value which was surprising as I feel most campsite shops charge over the odds.

All in all a great weekend away and we will return.

Date of Visit: April 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Cazzcull 3 reviews from this member

Been reading previous reviews and don't entirely agree with them, I have been to this site 4 times now and would recommend it to anyone with young children.

The play park is ideal and easily seen from any of the tent pitches, staff helpful and the club was suitable for its purpose, I don't know why people are saying its dated and needs painting.

Booked to go back next week.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Leebo 6 reviews from this member

First time we have been to thurston manor site. Men's toilets/showers are small & could do with updating & a lick of paint. Only 3 toilets & showers.

Club house is like a working men's club, could do with a good revamp.

The wardens seemed to be riding around in a transit van checking on van locations & who had awnings up etc. Why can't they walk around the site instead of in an annoying diesel transit van! The roads are right outside your caravan so it's most annoying!

Hard standings have no grass next to them, it's all gravel for caravan & awning. So we never bothered with awning. Got a refund on that.

Site shop is good, has all the basics. Pool is small but ok.

I saw big dogs like alsation size roaming about on the park, not acceptable really, just lazy owners letting there responsibilities go elsewhere.

Site is good for golfers quite a few good courses in surrounding areas, so transport is essential.

The weather wasn't too bad, had rain during the night but daytime was fine.

Tv reception is good, no problems in tuning our tv in.

Previous     42 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Lothian

Win a 299 Clarke IG1200B Suitcase Generator! Win a Holiday at Woolacombe Bay Holiday Park

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 6 to 7th July, Derbyshire