Visitor Reviews - West Runton Camping And Caravanning Club Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > East Anglia > Norfolk > Site Reviews

West Runton Camping And Caravanning Club Site
NR27 9NW

Open: 01/04 to 03/11

Add this Site to your Virtual BrochureSave to Virtual Brochure

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Glamping Units
 No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 Kitchen Facilities   Freezer Available    Motorhome Point   Fully Serviced Pitches
 No Shop   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   Wifi Access
 Fishing   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding   Cycle Hire   Golf   Tennis
 Beach <1 mile   Watersports   Boat Launch / Mooring
 Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  Dog Walk

Reviews:  119 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20

Date of Visit: July 2018 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: TimCESmith 29 reviews from this member

We stayed in a Readycamp tent for a long week end. It's a hoofing great Cabanon safari tent at 5 x 5 metres plus a 2 metre canopy and decking. There's lino down over the groundsheet, a usable kitchen, excellent lighting and really very comfortable mattresses on 'proper' steel framed beds. Kettle, toaster, microwave, double electric hob, fridge with a big ice box, water carrier and a drug for washing up. There are dining chairs for six and comfortable chairs for sitting out, plus a sofa. You just need to bring bedding and towels, although we were glad of our favourite mugs and proper glass glasses.

The site is big and a bit car-parkish when full. Most of the pitches are significantly sloped. The amenities are up to the usual C&CC standards. The welcome was very pleasant and friendly, and wardens were readily available without badgering you. Fellow campers were relaxed and affable.

The location is convenient for Cromer and Sheringham and there are many options for a pleasant walk, but because it's surrounded by woodland there are no views and you don't get much sense of place.

My usual campsite in this area is Baconsthorpe Meadows, which is much more my bag, but we came here with tentless friends and needed a ready pitched tent to accommodate them. Next time I'll make them buy their own tent.

Date of Visit: May 2018 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Nomadengland 9 reviews from this member

Had lovely stay here on grass. I think the wardens must have changed (well we know two had as we met them on the Glencoe Site last year). They were very friendly and obviously the rule about windbreaks had changed as we saw lots around the site - one family in one corner particularly had a huge area fenced off outside their awning for their dogs.

We had a lovely cycle ride into Cromer - albeit not signed very well in places - through woods/narrow tracks to road. We had short cycle on main road at end but it was not busy and the footpath was wide.

We used laundry facilities which were very efficient.

Did not use the toilet blocks so canít comment on them.

Bus stop was quite a walk away - up the very long entrance track.

Site was not as near Cromer as you might hope!

Would definitely stay again if in the area.

Date of Visit: May 2018 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Varaderoxlv1000 29 reviews from this member

We know this area well and decided to pitch up here. The site is picturesque enough, sheltered and well off the road. Most noise we experienced was from either helicopters and fast jets going about their daily work but they weren't overly obtrusive. The toilet block was adequate given the number of people on site except the hand dryers were pretty useless.

The biggest downside to our week long stay was the total disregard of children/parents were children persistently roaring around the toilet block playing catch me if you can and this got worse as the 'gangs' formed with several near misses with people near the washing facilities carrying their plates, saucepans and cutlery. (I know children need to let off steam and play and run around but it mustn't be to the detriment of other campsite users. ) The other problem was again children on their bicycles often going 'the wrong way round' on both the electric and pedal types at speeds up to 20 m. P. H. Being hard of hearing, I nearly got bowled over by a youngster coming from behind me on 1 occasion and I'm sure I wasn't alone. This is downright dangerous for all concerned and I think the CCC should be be more proactive in curbing this type of behaviour. We won't be using this site again but will use the oppositions site next door where families and fogies are separated for the benefit of both.

Date of Visit: July 2018 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: John B. 11 reviews from this member

Having negotiated the unmade track leading to the site I committed the cardinal sin of arriving 10 minutes early, not wanting to block the entrance barrier I parked in the visitors area (there is no other parking), 'friendly' warden arrived telling me you are not a visitor, you can't park here, I tried to explain we were a bit early, but he then started sounding off about why we were early, I eventually shut him up by saying we are not welcome then? Had we not booked & paid in advance would have left there & then. We got booked in & another warden took us to our pitch, then again started sounding off about people arriving early! The final straw, we were then asked to show both our age concession stamps in case we were on the fiddle! I now felt like an unwanted thief.

The site itself is OK apart from the access track, motorhome waste & fresh water outside the access barrier. If you wish to make an early start leaving, go the night before, barrier locked until 0700.

The final rant: No rain, no grass but they decided to cut non existent green stuff anyway, van covered in dust!

No I will not be renewing my C. C. C. Membership.

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Rexxie 28 reviews from this member

Lovely countryside setting accessed by a longish narrow track/road. Site much bigger than expected - after being surrounded by trees once on site it is a lovely open area. Nice short walk on a country track in to East Runton 15 mins - has shops/ pubs and Greek restaurant - after crossing very busy road easy access to the beach. You can walk along the beach to West Runton and on to Sherringham. There is an inland walk back to the site or there is a local bus service. Also walking track to Cromer.

Reception rather officious - a warden leading us to our designed hardstanding but did not witness any of the over enthusiasm re rules mentioned in a few previous reviews. Reception has a small shop with essentials - milk, sausages, icecreams etc.

Toilet blocks clean - didn't use the showers this time - preferred using own facilities. Only 1 sink in the Ladies toilet area with soap and hand towels - lots of vanity cubicles with sinks in an other area but not much use for hand washing if no soap - which high season I guess it means many do not wash hands after using toilets! Plenty of sinks for dishwashing. No recycling facilities - have to take off site.

Lovely playarea and designated ball game area for children of which there were many - was school holidays! So not a tranquil site in school holidays as difficult to escape noise of children enjoying playing and cycling around -- how dare they! So lesson learnt there for grumpy retirees - guess it would be different again out of season. In season families should love it.

Date of Visit: June 2017 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Smudger_smith 1 review from this member

First I would like to say that we have been coming to this site for over 15 years - the location and amenities are fab - always look forward to coming most years but sadly that has now come to an end. We always book out of season as we don't have school age kids now so June is perfect for us, - this year we had our worst ever experience with camping in over 30 years - there was so many nit picking rules that I won't bore you all with them but please don't think we are difficult people or moany etc - we just want peace and quiet and to relax for a couple of weeks.

The first niggle we had was when we were shown to our pitch, told exactly where to park then after about 45mins of us putting up the awning etc one of the wardens told us our awning was bigger than he thought and he made us move it 11 inches! I really kid you not, he actually measured it out! Now I know all about fire safety and the required distance between units etc etc but there were no units next to us at all, the nearest one being within shouting distance.

We also suffered with the wind break saga mentioned in another post - again we have put these up in the past no problem as we have dogs that may bark at people walking past, so the wind breaks stop them seeing people, but now for some reason you are not allowed - another niggle was the un-helpful wardens when my sister came for a few days and they wanted to put her away from us when I expressly informed them when I booked it for all of us that she was a single female doing her first ever camp and we wanted her near to us - when they took my money that was fine but when she came they wanted her to camp near the toilet block away from us - another telling off came our way when one of the little dogs slipped his tether and went to my sisters tent where he was spotted by a warden who told us off for letting him off the lead. My husband said it was like being a child who's getting told off all the time!

This is only a few of the rule brakes that we apparently committed but it gives you the general gist of things! Gone is the care free, helpful and polite staff they used to have who's goal was to let you have a lovely relaxing holiday. Its a real shame as this was one of our favourite sites

Previous     119 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Norfolk   -   Search for a site

Win an Babyhub SleepSpace Travel Cot worth £149.99 Win a OLPRO Knightwick 3 Tent

UKCS Meet Manchester Caravan & Motorhome Show 17 to 20 Jan 2019, Event City
Huge choice of the latest model caravans, motorhomes and holiday homes on display from over 200 exhibitors ...more

Black Friday SALE
Black Friday SALE
OLPRO have masses of amazing Black Friday offers EVERY DAY throughout November. Prices slashed on inflatable awnings and tents