Reviews of Auchenlarie Holiday Park

Campsite Search > UK > Scotland > Dumfries and Galloway > Gatehouse Of Fleet > Auchenlarie Holiday Park Reviews

Auchenlarie Holiday Park
Gatehouse Of Fleet
Gatehouse Of Fleet
Dumfries and Galloway   (Browse area)
DG7 2EX
Tel: 01556 506 200

Open:

Statics for Hire   Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge    Motorhome Point
 Shop On Site   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   Wifi Access
 Fishing On Site   No Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool On Site   No Outdoor Pool
 Beach On Site   Watersports On Site   Boat Launch / Mooring On Site
 Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Not Open All Year
 Coastside Pitches   Public Transport   Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  38 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4

Date of Visit: July 2019 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Nights stayed: 3 Travelling as:  Family with young children
Reviewer: Clairie77 2 reviews from this member

Can't fault this site at all! My daughter and I had a great time with no complaints.

The chlorine in the pool was quite high and made me ill but everything else was great.

Will definitely be back.

Date of Visit: May 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Kabrady73 1 review from this member

Just back from 4 nights at this site using the touring facilities. There were a number of things we weren't happy with - was advised that as we were arriving after 7pm to go to shop at entrance and someone there would direct us to touring circles then we could go to the Bistro to get our welcome packs.

Went to shop but lady there told us all pitches had been allocated and we needed to go to the Bistro. Parked next to touring pitches and I walked down the hill to the Bistro to be told we can just pick any pitch.

Walked back up the hill, selected a pitch and whilst my husband got us set up I looked out the codes for the toilet access and headed off with the kids.

On arrival at the toilets discovered there is a block of wood keeping them permanently open - just a waste of time and effort trotting about all over the place for a bunch of stuff we didn't need!

Next thing we noticed was the noise of the crows in the tall trees next to the touring pitches so if you are looking for some peace forget it - they don't stop. Ever. It's 24/7! The next issue we encountered was there is no directive as to how your set up should be. We assumed car, caravan, awning and set up that way.

The following day we went out and when we came back we had the neighbours car next to our caravan and the other neighbours awning next to our awning so nowhere to park our car.

Our neighbours advised us that owner two vans up refused to park their car at opposite side of van and wanted their car next to van ie next to neighbours van so they could have a nice open area at entrance to their van. So our neighbours had caravan, awning, car.

Apparently managers told them to do this and provided them with a cone to save their space when they were out (and told them we were leaving in Monday anyway - this was only Sat!). Contemplated complaining to reception but decided not to bother and in all honesty someone should have come and spoken to us and clarified where our car was to go.

I know some people don't like rules and guidelines but I prefer to have basic rules around set up to avoid friction. We even ended up with an additional caravan shoe horned between two vans across from us - can't understand why warden didn't deal with that either.

Pool was fine - just a basic pool. Little beach was lovely but lots of loose stones and no steps so a bit treacherous getting up and down.

Tried the takeaway fish and chips and the chips were made from frozen - so disappointed and they weren't cheap!

This site just wasn't for us. They just need to organise themselves a bit better and provide clearer guidelines to tourers. Unlikely to return.

Date of Visit: October 2016 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: NEJane 25 reviews from this member

I stayed on this site, for four nights to join up with friends who had hired a static caravan. My pitch was on the hill top with great views and my own drinking water supply, attached to the hook-up bollard. What I couldn't understand was, within two strides, was another drinking water tap, next to the bins with a sign stating that grey water was not to be deposited down the grate. Not being able to find anywhere to dump my grey water, other than the EDP, I committed a midnight sin! Facilities were adequate although I never used the showers as my friend and I spent every night, in the swimming pool and used the showers there. Pool and sauna. Great! For what I had paid for my pitch I was well impressed by the on-site entertainment, bar, aforementioned pool and sauna, gym and lots more. We tried the takeaway food and it was delicious! My only gripe, and there's not a lot anyone can do about it, was the high population of rabbits! As much as I love bunnies, I don't really appreciate their poo in my 'van and, try as I may to avoid it, I still managed to carry droppings in - the site is hotching with the stuff. Also, if anyone has a wheelchair dependent on board; this site is very sloping. Had my late husband been with me, I'd have struggled to get him up from my friends' static but, on a positive note, I was pleased to see the statics ramped and easily accessible to our special needs' folks.

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Gaelypants 3 reviews from this member

Stayed here after it being recommended by friends.

Plenty space for our 8 man tent. This is a bigger commercial site though, with statics, entertainment, swimming pool etc. Camping/touring area is parallel to main road which is busy with traffic heading to/from Stranraer.

Main attraction for my kids, age 8 & 6, was the wee burn running through the camp area. The kids all congregate here, racing sticks down it, jumping over it, playing in it. Think there are playparks around the site but my 2 never had any interest as the burn was the best.

Ehu was fine & not too far. Dishwashing area was undercover & kept clean. The toilet block was ok. Each wee cubicle had a toilet, sink & shower. Push button showers, with a non adjustable head. The spray was erratic, so almost impossible to not get your hair wet. Hard to get dried after, like at a swimming pool with the humidity.

There's lots to do around the site. I would recommend a visit to cream o'galloway, that was a good day out. The chocolate factory was good fun too.

Overall, a good site, the kids loved the burn. We did eat in the restaurant once & the food was good.

Date of Visit: October 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Antisocialtwo 1 review from this member

Been here a few times and unlike most major static sites the poor relation tourers don't get too bad of a deal.

Site fees are reasonable especially low season.

If you can get into the central hilltop touring pitches all the better, the overspill and other pitches near the A75 are to be avoided unless you like getting woken at 3am by the Stena and P+O sponsored Smoky and the Bandit impersonators.

Facilities are good plenty for everyone to kids and adults alike. Their is a beach of sorts which is a bit rocky but does the job.

Mobile phone signal is patchy as is the wifi they said it was getting upgraded;

Good shop and friendly staff.

All in all deceptively attractive in its own way. Nearby Gatehouse Of Fleet and Kirkcudbright worth a visit as is Newton Stewart.

Date of Visit: September 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Kirsty_Atkin 13 reviews from this member

The camping charges are for families with electric so expensive if you are a couple with no hook up. The tent area is flat and separate from the statics. The shop is very well stocked and the staff are very pleasant.

The 'pub' unfortunately is stuck in the 80's with their food & drink choices. The toilet and shower blocks with their individual bathrooms are kept very clean - unfortunately someone had kicked the door and broken it they obviously took exception to the key pad entry! We were quite close to the road which had trucks thundering up & down it all night so not as quiet and peaceful as we had hoped.

Reviewer: Tinymum 3 reviews from this member

Was disappointed with the campsite, firstly, not enough toilet blocks for the amount of tents and caravans on site, but the most annoying part of the site is the extremely busy road that runs along side of the camping area, don't go her if you want a sleep because you wont get one, articulated lorry's do not stop the whole night and day, it is very very loud all the time, as for the bistro ??? more like a café/bar all in one to many tables for the size of the space. Entertainment is ok if you like bingo and karaoke. Not a great site at all, Terrace area is narrow and not kept clean as we had to move glasses twice from a table its on a hill with a very steep road to the club area wouldn't recommend this site, as we wont be back!

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Loopsylala 1 review from this member

Fantastic Site and pitches superb. Own water, electricity and TV ariel. (cable available for deposit at site shop). Two toilet blocks in the tent/ touring end. Bottom one, clean, toilets, showers and washing up sink x2 outside it. 2nd toilet block further in to the touring area much newer and had toilet and shower in one cubicles along with washing up sink located outside.

Fantastic site with swimming pool, kids entertainment, swing parks, beach, bar, small take away service, arcade machines (teen hang out type area) and reasonable sized soft play- much improved from the version that used to be a cupboard lol! 3nights for price of 2 at 22 pounds a night so 44 pounds for 5 man tent, 2 adults, 2 kids including all electricity and tv. They charge a flat rate with no extras for children etc. Fantastic value and lots to do in the area, cream o galloway to name but one.

Tesco at castle douglas, shops nearer at gatehouse of fleet. Would return any time. Have previously stayed here on a static (before my parents sold it!) and it was and still is fab. Caters for children very well, with staff being friendly and kind, especially the gentleman in the bar. We spent a bit of time there watching the Olympics and felt very welcome. Due to the value for money aspect and such a great time meeting great staff and campers 10 out of 10 for me.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Static Rating:
Reviewer: Geddes 8 reviews from this member

What a pity about the weather here at Auchinlarie, - however - undaunted - we went on to have a really good time here - as we were catering for our 3 year old Grandson, and he thought everything was great. Play areas (3) swimming pool, soft play area, and much to do outside of the caravan site. Our caravan was first rate, very clean and comfortable.

The beach was lovely, and it would have been just great had the weather been better. Would we go back? Maybe- Lots of really nice staff here, really trying their best to make it a good holiday for all of their clients.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Rubbs 1 review from this member

I stayed on this site for 4 nights and this was my first visit. I will definitely be returning for another stay.

There were 2 toilet blocks in the touring field and cleaners visited twice a day. There is a hairdryer available for 20p and this lasted more than long enough to do your hair.

OUr pitch had all the necessary hook up, water and arial if required.

The on site shop was reasonably priced and stocked.

We visited the on site restaurant and had a lovely reasonably prices meal.

When we arrived we were surprised to be given £10. 00 vouchers (one for every nights stay)to be used in any of the local bars.

It is an excellent site to stay with dogs (we will the next time) a large dog walking area adjacent to the touring pitch and a veranda at the bar where you can take your pooch.

Previous     38 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other Sites Near Gatehouse Of Fleet      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Dumfries and Galloway

UKCS Meet Motorhome and Caravan Show 15/10 to 20/10, NEC Birmingham
All the new 2020 products, including caravans, motorhomes, trailer tents and folding caravans – plus 1000s of accessories ...more