Reviews of Carpenters Farm Campsite

Campsite Search > UK > England > South East > Isle Of Wight > Ryde > Carpenters Farm Campsite Reviews

Carpenters Farm Campsite
Carpenters Road
St Helens
Ryde
Isle Of Wight   (Browse area)
PO33 1YN
Tel: 01983 874557

Open: 01/04/2022 to 31/10/2022

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Small Campervans
 No Glamping Units   No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point   Wifi Access
 Shop On Site   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant or Cafe or Takeaway <1 mile
 No Fishing   Wild Swimming <1 mile   Indoor Pool <5 miles   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <1 mile   No Cycle Hire   Golf <1 mile   No Tennis
 Beach <1 mile   Watersports <1 mile   No Boat Launch
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  59 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6

Date of Visit: July 2019 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Campers4u 2 reviews from this member

Very well run campsite wth a mix of tent pitches and fixed caravans with hookups. Tents were not pitched too close together and land was flat and grassy. We could choose where we went to some extent, but tents were expected to use one particular field and used preset strips of land. Water was easily to hand.

The washing facilities are excellent and very extensive. With sink and shower blocks with toilets too, there are washing machines and driers. Even outdoor sinks for simple washing up of dirty plates and cooking pots etc.

We had a great stay, all made easy by the helpful owners. Campsite is handy for the big beach at Ryde.

Date of Visit: August 2018 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Osmando 1 review from this member

Spacious open and very windy site with large EHU pitches. Not overcrowded. Lots of room to wait on site for a late ferry and the owners are happy for you to do this.

Shower block only has 3 showers in both men's and ladies. The shower block is rather tired and could benefit from an upgrade. The showers are push button and turn off very quickly, they are also lukewarm and very basic. There are 2 reasonable family bathrooms housed in a portacabin but there needs to be more. No disabled shower, only a toilet so very difficult for anyone with a disability to shower unaided.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Loo115 2 reviews from this member

This is a great campsite quiet and relaxed with beautiful views. The owners are very helpful booking ferry crossing and giving you information about the local area. You can also hire ice blocks for 20p per day which was useful.

Facilities were always clean 3 showers and 4 toilets in the ladies block plus 2 family bathrooms, they were only busy over the bank holiday weekend. There is also a large room with sockets to do your hair etc washing machine and dryer and a little hut where you can chill whilst you are charging mobile phones ect. The little park was great for the kids to hang out but wasn't noisy.

The campsite is in a great location with a tesco 5 mins in the car and 10-15 minutes away from Ryde, Shanklin and Sandown. The only downside is you can't easily walk around the area as the roads are without paths but as everything is nearby in the car you don't spend to long travelling.

Despite this I would definitely stay here again and cant wait to see the long term campers again (The avenue) who were very friendly and made us very welcoming.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Clairecamping 1 review from this member

Me husband and I had a fantastic week's stay at Carpenter's Farm. We booked last minute over the phone and David was very helpful and booked our Red Funnel crossing. The campsite got the crossing for £50 less than I could get by booking direct. For 2 adults in high season and EHU it costed £19 a night.

The site is large and they don't overfill it. We had an electrical hook up pitch and it was very spacious. The facilities are good and immaculately clean. The ladies has 3 toilets, 3 showers and 3 sinks (I assume the Gents are the same!) There are also 2 self contained family bathrooms which each have a toilet, sink and shower. There are 3 washing up sinks under cover and a room with a washing machine and tumble dryer. A wash is £3 and powder is available from reception. In the washing room there are mirrors and sockets for people to use hair dryers or razors. There is a lovely hut with tables and chair in it and lots of sockets to charge phones etc. Simple and well thought out facilities.

The site is in a good location. Less than a 10 minute drive from a large Tesco superstore. St Helens is about a 20 minute walk away and there is a permitted path along a field so you only have to walk on the road for a short time. We also walked to Brading which is a lovely walk on the disused railway path.

In summary, the site is lovely and has lots of space. The owners are very helpful and attentive and we look forward to returning soon.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Srose1958 11 reviews from this member

This was our first visit to this site, but definitely won't be our last!

We went as a large family group (in a caravan & a tent) and had booked two pitches next to each other, which turned out to be huge! The site is really well maintained and drains well (so no quagmire following the heavy rain we endured at the start of our stay)! I would only have one small 'niggle', and that was the horrible little push button showers which only seemed to stay on for a couple of seconds; if these could be adjusted to stay on a little longer it would be great! To be honest, I'd also like more than 3 shower cubicles available as, when the site began filling up with people who'd arrived for Cowes week, there tended to be a queue. As I said, however, the site was generally tip top, and the owners were so helpful, even allowing us to remain on site until it was time to depart for our ferry!

The family holiday was a 'one off' but my wife & Myself have already started planning to visit again by ourselves! Apart from my comments regarding the showers, I feel that this site deserves an overall rating of 10 out of 10!

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Rcsyoung 5 reviews from this member

I booked this site for a group trip over the August bank holiday. It was very easy to organise and they made every effort to keep us together which was brilliant.

The site itself is reached off Carpenters Road which is easy to find but the site isn't well signposted. There's obviously a campsite there but until you turn in you won't see the sign.

The site is quite large and fairly open other than some hedges that help to separate the electric hookups.

There is a good clean, modern toilet block with plenty of space and separate family shower rooms which were very useful. There's no shop as such but they do carry some basics, milk, eggs and a few other camping bits and pieces. However there is a massive Tescos a mile or so away so this isn't an issue.

The site is well situated, beautifully kept and drains incredibly well as we found after getting at least an inch of rain in 24 hours on the bank holiday itself.

The owners are ever so helpful and sorted us out with a ferry deal with Red Funnel. When we saw the prices with Wight Link we nearly didn't go!

The kids loved the play area, we loved the site and there's so much to do on the Isle of Wight I'm sure we'll be back.

Well done to all at Carpenter's!

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: MitchellFamily 3 reviews from this member

We loved this site.

We booked a non-electric because we weren't fussed about a heater or lighting, plus it gave us the freedom of turning up and leaving whenever we wanted.

The views are beautiful, the site gently slopes in some parts, but is mostly flat. There are hedges around several fields, giving some shelter should there be any wind.

The toilet and shower block is simple but clean. And I am picky so it must be ok! I never showered in there so I can't personally comment but my husband did and he says although nice and hot, the water pressure was very poor so it more or less trickled out! However, I did use the 'family showers', these are located in a separate block, a small portacabin of 2 rooms; in each room there is a toilet, sink and shower for family use. These were very useful to me to get myself and my two youngest clean. They are very new, clean and warm. I never had to queue for the toilet or shower.

There is a cabin with plug sockets in to charge mobiles/cameras, as well as a baby change cabin and a cabin with a washing machine and plug sockets next to mirrors for shaving/hair drying. There are 3 washing up sinks and 1 sink for hand-washing smalls. We had to queue or the sinks a couple of times, at busy periods. My husband saw a woman washing some socks in one of the washing-up sinks and told her that the end sink was for washing her smalls - she just hurumphed at him and carried on! Yuk! Hate the thought of washing my dishes in a sink where someone has potentially been washing their knickers! Anyhow, I digress.

The owners are David and Vanessa, we only met David, who was always on reception whilst we were there. He was very helpful, pointing out the nearest shops and where we could pitch. A few essentials were available to purchase at reception, such as milk, orange and apple juice, bacon, cereal and paracetamol. I was pleasantly surprised to see these were being sold at sensible prices, not overly-inflated!

There is loads of space to run about, we enjoyed using the space for lots of games of ball games, footie, cricket, badminton, frisbee. Without knocking into anyones tent. My youngest two loved the play area, it was the only thing my 3 year old wanted to do!

The beach at nearby St. Helens was small and pretty, we only went for a walk along it, meant to go back to spend the day there but we ran out of time. We recommend Rosemary Vineyard for a good morning out, for a tour of their factory with wine tasting to finish. Their Elderberry wine is lovely, as is their own pressed apple juice. For something to eat I recommend The White Hart, Main Road, Havenstreet. I had the best pie I have ever eaten in my life there! It was lamb and mint, gorgeous moist suet pastry, loads of gravy, masses of vegetables, mmmmmmm.

All in all, a fantastic site, a great base to see the Island. We will be back!

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Berko 6 reviews from this member

We just spent a great week at this site with EHU.

The site is lovely and beautifully kept. Toilet facilities are nothing lavish but perfectly adequate and always very clean. My gripe was the lack of shower pressure, if all 3 showers were in use then you had no hope of washing your hair. One morning I was stranded with a headful of shampoo and had to wait for the other 2 showers to finish before the water returned to my cubicle for me to finish! This seems to have been an on going issue for some time so I hope they do something about it.

The site is well laid out with plenty of space between tents and caravans. This is a bonus although our fellow campers seemed to think it meant they could put up tennis nets, badminton nets etc. This is not really ideal when you are camping with a new car (as we were ) and your neighbours decide to play football, followed by frisbee followed by French cricket - none of which was very accurate! On such a big site, it would have been feasible to dedicate a ball games area to avoid damage to cars and caravans and keep the peace! Having said that - your fellow campers are not the responsibility of the campsite owners who were really helpful and friendly at all times.

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Procjc 14 reviews from this member

We picked this site based on a combination of the facilities, reviews and location. We wanted to avoid a massive “holiday camp” style setup with swimming pools etc, and this was one of the few sites we could find which also had a pub and village shop in walking distance. We were fortunate enough to time our weekend break outside of school holidays and festivals and as a result were one of only 6 units on the whole site!

The site comprises approx 16 acres spread over three grassed fields, which are open, slightly sloping with hedgerows/trees providing shelter around the edges, plus views across Culver/Brading Downs. Small fenced children's play area. Approx 40 electric hook-ups and ample non electric pitches (pitch where you want and arrive/leave when you want!).

Modern toilet/shower block with free hot water plus two Portaloo style family bathrooms – everything spotlessly clean, although not sure if there would be enough facilities if the site was full! Covered (outside) pot washing area. Laundry room with washing machine, tumble dryer, iron and ironing board plus ample free electric points for hairdryers/straightening irons. Vending machine. Summerhouse style room with seating, book swap and ample phone/laptop charging points (all covered by CCTV). Freezer pack service at reception. Very friendly, welcoming and helpful owners.

Nearest village is St Helens 0. 7 miles walk uphill via a footpath (very short section on-road). A recently constructed footpath behind the hedge on the opposite site of the road makes the walk safer for families – this wasn’t visible on Google Earth but the owners pointed this out to us on arrival. St Helens has a beach, pub, two newsagents and handful of restaurants whilst Bembridge approx 1. 5-2 miles away has a few more pubs and facilities including a small mini-market and Butchers.

We drank and ate in The Vine in St Helens was a busy, friendly local pub, serving straightforward pub grub. We had a beer at the Crab & Lobster (Bembridge) which was very difficult to find, not particularly welcoming and drinks overpriced (didn’t eat here). We also liked the Pilot Boat Inn (Bembridge) – which had a very welcoming and friendly atmosphere!

Our main reason for visiting the IOW was to cycle the waymarked 70 mile “Round the Island” route, which is easy to access from the campsite as it runs through St Helens - very undulating with some epic climbs on the south coast and amazing scenery. For family cycling, the well surfaced disused (and level) railway line goes from nearby Sandown to Cowes. We visited Alum Bay, The Needles and Old Battery – nice walk along the headland but the cable car at Alum Bay seems to be permanently out of order and everything closed early!

All in all, a great campsite and great location – would definitely recommend this campsite to friends.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Fiona28 7 reviews from this member

Had a great time at this site. The owner was very helpful. The site is well-run and kept very clean. I like the informality of the tent field.

It is in a good location, close to St Helens Duver and the beaches there. It is easy to get onto the road network to visit other parts of the Island. Large Tesco within 5 minutes drive.

The views towards Culver and Brading Downs are lovely. Waking up to buzzards calling in the morning was a novelty.

My only suggestion would be to update the showers. Although there was plenty of hot water the pressure in the shower blocks is rather low. I felt guilty at having to use a family room when I wanted to wash my hair.

We have booked to go back next year.

Previous     59 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Is Carpenters Farm Campsite child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Carpenters Farm Campsite?  There is a shop on site  View all facilities

Is Carpenters Farm Campsite dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Ryde      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Isle Of Wight

UKCS Meet Lifestyle 2022 Show, Shropshire 06/05 to 08/05
Holiday homes, caravans, camping, holidays, garden rooms, hot tubs, garden furniture, gardening, health & fitness - 20% off tickets

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2022