Reviews of Lowtrow Cross Caravan Camping Site ( Adults Only )

Campsite Search > UK > England > South West > Somerset > Taunton > Lowtrow Cross Caravan Camping Site ( Adults Only ) Reviews

Lowtrow Cross Caravan Camping Site ( Adults Only )
Upton,

Fishing <5 miles   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   No Cycle Hire   No Golf   No Tennis
 Beach <10 miles   Watersports <5 miles   Boat Launch / Mooring <5 miles
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  87 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9

Date of Visit: March 2022 Unit:  Motorhome
Nights stayed: 4 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Beaves 1 review from this member

What a fabulous site, canít believe weíve not found it before!

Rob and Karen are brilliant hosts, very helpful and nothing too much trouble.

Facilities very clean and tidy. A great base for some lovely walks too.

Weíll definitely be back! Martin and Jan

Date of Visit: August 2021  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Touring Caravan
Nights stayed: 5 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Lottie39 2 reviews from this member

Fantastic site very clean and tidy. Itís very quiet and there is a pub serving food at the bottom of the drive which is lovely.

Shop on site sells all the basics and staff are very helpful.

Not many shops nearby and quite remote,

Free wifi is excellent but we couldnít get a tv working even with the dish we have due to a few trees

But would come back if in area

Date of Visit: July 2021 Unit:  Campervan
Nights stayed: 4 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Norfol 7 reviews from this member

We have stayed at Exe Valley campsite before (excellent) but they were full and we fancied staying somewhere else nearer the lake.

This campsite is very quiet and our next door neighbours were friendly. The facilities were nice and kept clean and the dog walk area is small but very nice.

The pub at the end of the drive was very nice and they were very friendly too. The pitches werenít overly generous especially considering Covid.

Downsides were -and I found it interesting reading other reviews- were the owners or at least the people looking after the site. One was ok but not overly friendly the other was quite odd in her approach, not friendly and I almost felt we shouldnít be there, I felt she was watching me the whole time.

It seems this site is very much for the long term caravanners which - though lovely for them, it does change the dynamics of a campsite and I find this more and more these days as I guess it is good money for the owners.

You can walk to the lake from the site but you donít seem to be able to avoid the road. However this was quiet and we had a lovely long 11 mile walk.

We wonít be returning as didnít feel welcome sadly and it was expensive.

Date of Visit: June 2021 Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 3 Travelling as:  With friends
Reviewer: Benmark10 15 reviews from this member

I gave this site a glowing review some years ago when I visited. In some ways it was a nice stay this time, but I think the situation has changed.

This is an expensive site to stay at, but remember it is adults-only and naturally you expect to pay a premium for that since they lose income from families.

The site is very quiet and has a lovely view of the rolling hills. The road alongside is little used and you won't be bothered by traffic.

The pub next door serves great food and has a friendly team of staff. It's not a noisy pub - it won't bother you either.

There is a shop on site that sells most essentials, at a generally reasonable price.

The shower and toilet facilities are spotlessly clean and beautifully maintained.

The reason I probably won't go back here now was the reception we received on site which has very much changed from my visit 8 years ago. I think the "bread and butter" money for the owners is the long term caravan storage and static homes. The camping field seems to be an ancillary source of revenue, and appear to be treated as such.

The field is large but we were told on arriving to set up in one specific place by one owner. Then when the other owner came back later, we were told that was the wrong place and we'd have to move if the owners of the adjacent caravan (which was about 6 meters from where we'd pitched) came back. We were also told we shouldn't have put our motorbikes where we did "in case a car needed to turn around". We'd been told by the other owner to put our bikes in exactly that spot, which was a parking space, not a turning circle.

The discussion was cordial, but afterwards I felt very much like we were unwelcome visitors. We got on with our trip, but each evening as we came back to the site that sense of dread "I wonder what we'll be in trouble for tonight" came over us. It's not really how I want to feel on a camping holiday.

I still recommend this site based on its quietness and views. However, be aware that the focus of the site really doesn't seem to be for touring campers anymore. I think it's more for caravanners who will come year after year.

Date of Visit: April 2018 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Chatterboxajl 1 review from this member

Great site. Just need to press hard to get the showers to stay on longer. They then stay on about a minute before you need to press again. Hard standing on all pitches so even if it is a bit muddy there is always a clean path to walk. Great friendly site.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Tall Mark 13 reviews from this member

We were not blessed with good weather during our visit but what a very nice 8 night stay.

Pros

Close (really close) local pub - food average but friendly and good value.

Small but adequately stocked site shop, meats were good!

Site is very well looked after, with a handy but very small dog area, fab views over the surrounding countryside. Well laid out and peaceful

Friendly and helpful wardens

Clean and ample facilities with plenty of hot water (all be it difficult to extract)

Well situation for access around the area.

Cons

No dog walks near the site except along the local lanes, need to get in the car, there are plenty of good ones near by (there is a walk but the farmer has blocked it off - thanks). Not the sites fault

Ground was clay, got quite boggy in the rain, imagine it would be quite hard after a long dry summer

Ground was deceptively sloping

Showers stayed on for just about the time it took to press the button, turn around and put shampoo in, then turn off when you were completely blinded - please adjust the settings, I can barely get two breaths in in 10 seconds, let alone wash myself.

I never give 10/10, 9 is really exceptional, 7 & 8 are good scores and we would go back to this site. Sort the showers out and I'd bump it straight up to an 8. Thanks again for a lovely stay.

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Static
Reviewer: Ardral 1 review from this member

I spent a few nights at this lovely (and very clean) site recently and it was an enjoyable and relaxing break.

I stayed in one of their static caravans rentals which was very clean and almost everything required. The only thing it didn't have was a frying pan, however, I'm sure one of the two owners would have found one if I had asked. My only real complaint with the caravan itself was the shower which was near impossible to get to a good temperature.

All that said, the facilities on the site are great. Shower block, washing up area, mini shop with essentials and a nearby pub (although I didn't use it).

PRO TIP: if you need internet access there is free WiFi on the site, however, only part of the caravan could get a signal and the bedrooms at the back could not. There is elaborately NO phone networks on the site. At all. So you will need to use the free Wifi for internet access and the telephone box for calls.

I really needed internet access for work so I brought a Wireless repeater with me which enabled me to put it in my car (where the free Wifi signal was strongest) and then it boosted and repeated the signal which meant I could EASILY use the internet in the back bedroom area.

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Hillie46 3 reviews from this member

We love this site. It is set in beautiful countryside on a quiet road and is adults only. Whilst not a dog owner it is dog friendly and when we have visited all dogs have been well behaved. The campsite is immaculate, beautifully tended flower beds and lawns. The toilet blocks are spotless with lovely hot showers, even fresh flowers by the sinks. The wardens are extremely helpful and friendly and never seem to stop working. There is a small reception and shop selling the basics and a pub right next to the entrance to the site good ales and cider and decent, reasonably priced food. Loads to do in the area and lots of walks in the immediate vicinity. The perfect peaceful, relaxing get away.

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Dmfl76 1 review from this member

We were fortunate to stay at Lowtrow Cross for the Spring Bank Holiday weekend having found it on this website.

For us, the main advantages to this site is that it is both adults only and also dog friendly allowing us to bring our 4 animals at no extra charge. There is as dedicated dog walking area situated below the tent field which also allows dogs off lead - ideal for first and last chances.

The wardens are friendly and welcoming and despite the fact we arrived late (due to typical traffic on the M5), they were on site in their own caravan to greet us and they maintained a cheerful presence throughout our stay and were particularly accommodating when we asked to stay late to make the most of our final day.

The Reception building includes a small shop selling the basics and also has a large number of maps and walking guides which they are happy to lend out.

The toilet block was clean and well maintained with free showers providing a decent flow at a good temperature. Surrounding the toilet block are washing up areas, laundry room and recycling bins. All very tidy and handy.

All pitches are hardstanding with generous grass areas between. They all have a water and electricity point nearby. TV hook-up is also provided, though we did not use this as we carry a satelite system.

Adjacent to the site is the Lowtrow Cross Inn which you can access either by walking back down the drive or through the gate in the hedge. We enjoyed a lovely, homecooked meal on our final night and would definitely recommend a visit.

For us, the only downside is that the majority of the site is sloping, not ideal for twin axle vans like ours. Nevertheless, we were very comfortable, loved the area and will definitely make the effort to return.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Wazoo 1 review from this member

Great site with lovely clean facilities. Helpful wardens who offered advice when we asked about local walks and longer hikes. Useful little shop for emergencies and some treats. We loved the icecreams. Good quiet site for exploring Exmoor. Bonus of the pub on our doorstep. Will definitely be back.

Previous     87 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Is Lowtrow Cross Caravan Camping Site ( Adults Only ) child friendly?  NO, this site is adult only  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Lowtrow Cross Caravan Camping Site ( Adults Only )?  There is a shop on site  View all facilities

Is Lowtrow Cross Caravan Camping Site ( Adults Only ) dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Taunton      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Somerset

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally 02/07 to 03/07
An amazing fun weekend for all the family, with camping and caravanning on site from Friday to Monday - Save £15 on tickets

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2022