Reviews of Kilvrecht Caravan And Camp Site

Campsite Search > UK > Scotland > Perthshire > Rannoch > Kilvrecht Caravan And Camp Site Reviews

Kilvrecht Caravan And Camp Site
Kinloch
Rannoch
Perthshire   (Browse area)
PH17 2QJ

Open: Easter To October

No Electric Hookups   No Hardstandings   No Fully Serviced Pitches   Show Full Facilities
 Toilet Facilities   No Showers   Washing Up   No Bathroom
 Shop <5 miles   Bar <5 miles   Restaurant <5 miles   No Wifi Access
 Fishing 1 mile   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Beach 1 mile   Watersports 1 mile   No Boat Launch
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 5 miles  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  27 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: May 2019 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Nights stayed: 3 Travelling as:  Solo traveller
Reviewer: Strawy 6 reviews from this member

I think the description & website link tells you all you really need to know about this site.

I had 3 great nights here, its a lovely, peaceful, tidy place with a choice of areas to pitch on, there are some nice touches(ie a bookshelf, chalkboard for noting wildlife spotted. Some-one had recently spotted a grumpy husband !)

One thing that has changed since last reviewer(2016)is that there is now lighting in the toilet block.

Really enjoyed my stay here.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Kelly and Broydon 23 reviews from this member

We'd reviewed this site and felt it was the the prefect break from our normal camping and going back to basics for 4 days. When we arrived we were not disappointed.

Set in the heart of a forest with two main fields and smaller off shoots the site offered a prefect getaway.

The site has a wooden toilet block with small wash facilities in them. The running water as highlighted in previous reviews is not fit to drink and has a brown colouring to it.

So far it seems perfect until we started to pitch our tent. It felt like every midge in Scotland had been tipped off we had arrived and wanted a piece of us. It was so bad that we only set the bear essentials up, with the wife and kids inside the tent as I got things ready to pass inside keeping the door open for the smallest possible time. We had various potions and lotions, which had worked during the previous 10 days but there was just too many for them to be effective.

Even when the warden came to collect payment she commented on how many there were, but felt they would settle down.

The night sky with no light polution was amazing as we dared venture out late at night. The shooting stars and prospect of a midge less day seem to make the pain of the set up all worth it.

Sadly the following morning things were much the same as the previous day and after great discussion as we loved the site made the decision to pack up and move on. What a shame as this site is lovely.

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Tedthebudgie 40 reviews from this member

No mention on the Forestry Commission Scotland site of the need to boil water before drinking. Signs on all taps warning campers not to drink! Bit of a pain when travelling light and wanting a cool drink on arrival. Perhaps this is a temporary thing as no mention seems to have been made in previous reviews.

Cold water scrub down in a private cubicle was not a problem but won't be everybody's cup of tea, particularly on a very cold May morning with a hard overnight frost. Facilities clean and well looked after.

Picnic tables around the site which I like.

Stating the obvious, it is a site in a forest so the views you get are of trees and little else apart from the very tops of a couple of nearby hills.

No booking; just arrive and pitch up. Warden comes around to collect fee evening and morning. £8 for me, tent and motorbike. Cheapest site on a week's tour of Scotland. However, only a quid cheaper than Glenbrittle, for example, with its spectacular setting, views, drinkable water, showers, small shop etc. £5 would have been better but I'm just tight and difficult to please!

Date of Visit: April 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Burnzie 1 review from this member

My first camping trip for over 20 years, following early retirement in December, so I thought I would take the new tent on a trip down memory lane and re-visit the Kilvrecht site.

Thankfully absolutely nothing has changed !

Still no electricity, warm water or lights, just beautiful scenery, wide open spaces and great walks and wildlife, the site appears to have overwintered well with just one taped off area with soft ground following last weeks snow.

Facilities - toilet block and washing cubicles clean tidy, washing area clean and tidy. Also a blackboard showing wildlife spotted on the site for this month to date. Warden very friendly and helpful. Mossies around following the increased temperatures but not biting yet.

Surrounding area - very scenic and beautiful, roads very quiet, store in Kinloch Rannoch well stocked. Some work being carried out at Rannoch Station so very few parking spaces.

Cost - me, car & tent £8

An enjoyable visit, looking forward to returning next month.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: THE WALKRS 5 reviews from this member

What can we say this was just what we needed no hot water, no shower or electricity but there is cold running water. We came across the site by chance when we were unimpressed by some other sites that we had looked at and decided to stay for 6 nights. There is plenty of walking in the area, Kinloch Rannoch has well supplied shop - if you want fresh meat order it the day before you need it and they get it in for you. Toilets are cleaned daily, wash up area is clean and tidy well supplied with local information. You may need midge repellent if you suffer with the wee beasties but they do have 'Midge Magnets' around the site. Don't forget your torch if you need the loo in the night as there is no lighting. The warden calls round in the evening to collect your rent which is £8. 00 per night per unit. Will definitely be back. Wild Camping with Loo's! If you want facilities don't go! If you want peace and tranquillity this is the ideal place!

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Jay Bay 12 reviews from this member

No hot water, no electric hook ups, no lights, no showers, no noise no wonder this is such a perfect place. Well apart from the midges, which weren't too bad but they were there.

The toilets, and washing area was very clean and there is chemical disposal so for a self contained unit as ours the lack of all of the above was not an issue. The site is a bit of a drive of the A9 mostly on single track roads but it is a lovely place to spend a few days. The area is wonderful and there are lots of walks from site plus the wonderful Rannoch station at the end of the long drive round the loch. It you want quite and lovely country side this is a perfect place.

You get exactly what it says on the tin and great value for money.

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Kaydeescoolcamping 3 reviews from this member

We've been twice to this site, once last summer and easter there. The first time we came I was dreading taking my husband and son because of the lack of facilities. This year my son works in computing and rather than moaning about not getting on his, enjoyed the freedom of not being able to get on it. We're so un-organised we decide the night before we're going so this suits us as you just turn up and don't have to book. At £8 per tent per night it's fantastic value if lots of you share a tent. I'd imagine midges would be a real problem but we were lucky and didn't see any. I really don't think I'd change anything about this site, I love it's simplicity, for me it has just enough creature comforts, running water, decent toilets, the only thing maybe would be hot water at the dishwashing area as trying to get grease off pans with cold was a challenge, we fixed that by taking a few kettles of boiling water but that meant one of us had to trail up and down to the tent to bring them. We will be back

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Happysunshine1912 3 reviews from this member

We camped at this site for a couple of nights at the start of September. You turn up and pitch where ever you want and the warden comes round in the evening to collect the money.

As the site is away from the main road and slightly out of the way it tends to be quieter than others in the area. There are no real facilities for children so if you're looking for entertainment you wont find it here. There is a good mixture of caravans/motorhomes and tents with plenty of room to pitch so no need to feel like you were too close to your neighbour.

There are midge machines but to be honest they didn't seem to be that effective. The site is well kept and has fairly basic but clean facilities. There are male and female toilet blocks(unlit)and wash rooms with cold water but no shower.

We loved this site, it is surrounded by woodland walks(great for the dog) and beautiful scenery.

Reviewer: Westcoaster 4 reviews from this member

I camped at this site in July. There's no need to book; you just turn up and the warden collects the fee in the evening or morning. For me, my tent and car it was a mere £8 - excellent! For backpackers it's a even cheaper at £5! It's a nice, well kept and spacious site and not too busy as Kilvrecht is a bit out of the way for most. There are plenty water points and disposal facilities. There are well marked forestry commission walks around the area and you're only about 1. 5 miles down a forestry track from Loch Rannoch or about 3 from Kinloch Rannoch where there is a great wee café and very well stocked shop with lots of camping necessities (including midge repellent which you WILL need!) On my visit there was a mix of caravans and family tents- and my tiny wee tent. (Solo campers like myself are seemingly quite common, so the warden told me). The warden said they don't allow large/rowdy groups as it's a 'quiet family site' which was fine with me! There were no children's' 'play' facilities, but most families I saw were making their own fun, playing football etc. With loads of room to tear about in. It's a great location for outdoorsy families or serious walkers (near Schiehallion for one). The toilet blocks are clean but unlit (bring a torch for night), and there's only cold water and no showers, but you can have a full wash in a cubicle which locks - it's really fine! It's a lovely quiet spot where you can fall asleep listening to the wind swishing in the pine trees. No fires are allowed as it's in the middle of the forestry, but there are handy benches with metal 'trays' at one end for stoves and BBQs and I noticed a few people with 'fire baskets'. DO bring midgie repellent though - there are 'midge eaters' on site, but honestly, there were hoards of the wee brutes everywhere, especially at the edges of the site under the trees and they drove me demented in the evening and morning. Despite this, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and plan to visit again.

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Lumatrix 5 reviews from this member

This is a lovely area of Scotland with difficult access roads that make it a bit remote and usually very peaceful. We visited for the first time on a very hot weekend 75-80 Degrees of heat and the forest walks are sublime. The leaves of the many aspen trees on the site abound and shimmer in a spell binding way in a slight breeze. Many other reviewers have mentioned the facilities - or mainly the lack of them but the two basic necessities are well catered for. There are plentiful supplies of fresh water taps and a clean and easy to use chemical toilet disposal. These are the only two requirements that we have of a site and the price - now £8 for all seasons and all camping rigs - though backpackers are cheaper yet.

Highly recommended the wardens care for their forest AND their customers is exemplary. We will be back and thanks to the pleasant welcome and peaceful stay.

Previous     27 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other Sites Near Rannoch      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Perthshire

UKCS Meet Manchester Caravan & Motorhome Show 16/01 to 19/01, Event City
Over 200 exhibitors with all the new 2020 models and biggest ever selection of accessories. Plus win tickets! ...more

UKCampsite.co.uk

Amazing daily prizes and a grand Christmas Day Star Prize - Coming Soon!

Register for a Reminder