Reviews of Gwern Gof Isaf Farm

Campsite Search > UK > Wales > Conwy > Betws Y Coed > Gwern Gof Isaf Farm Reviews

Gwern Gof Isaf Farm

Fishing <5 miles   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Beach   Watersports <10 miles   No Boat Launch
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   No Dog Walk

Reviews:  14 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: October 2019 Unit:  Campervan
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Extended family
Reviewer: Wiltonp 5 reviews from this member

We stayed at this campsite as it is a perfect base for a scramble up Tryfan, less than a mile from the base of the North Face. It did not disappoint. I had stayed previously many years ago and the standard is still very good.

Several hard standing places for Campervans / Motorhomes. I didn't use EHU but there are a few pitches available if needed.

The fields are large and spacious and the site even boasts a bunkhouse and log cabins.

As this is a working farm there is a blanket NO DOGS rule.

Several very clean toilets and a big dish-washing shed. There were also showers but these are on a token system and as the owner was out we were unable to buy any tokens when we needed them. I believe it is 50p per token which lasts about 5 minutes. Remember to buy your tokens when paying for your pitch so you will have them when needed.

This site is a few miles away from the nearest pub/town so if you prefer the great outdoors and being away from the hustle and bustle then it is perfect. At the same time, it isn't that much of a drive if you want to get have a drink or meal out as we did.

It cost us 26 for 2 adults for 2 nights in a campervan. There are cheaper but not with this level of facilities.

The owner was very friendly on arrival and organised our stay without any issues.

This appears to be a good honest campsite that is clean, tidy and friendly. This is my type of site!

Date of Visit: April 2017 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Spongemum 3 reviews from this member

Just had two nights on this site. Stunning scenery. Clean and convenient facilities. Nice atmosphere with plenty of young campers in tents though we were able to park further out with fantastic views.

Owners responded to queries/emails promptly and it all seemed a friendly well ordered site without more than required which keeps the area unspoilt.

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Jonnyclaret1973 31 reviews from this member

This is a gem of a site and has recently had some updating.

Stayed here in a tent for 2 nights in May 2016.

5 per person per night. Showers are 50p for five minutes and take tokens that are purchased from the farm house.

The family that run the site are lovely and very helpful.

There are plenty of toilets and wash basins. The washing up area looks new and there's three sinks with plenty of hot water and even a mobile phone charging locker!

Only a few pitches are flat but we didn't have a problem finding somewhere. Not much for kids to do here but chase the chickens and ducks around!

This site is ideal for climbing and walking. There's a great crag at the rear of the site with varying levels of climbing to be found. Located near the foot of Tryfan there's a plethora of mountains to play on.

Nearest pub and shop is in Capel Curig about 3 miles away.

Don't be confused between this site and a site further up the road with a very similar name!

I would recommend this site and will definitely return!

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: VeggieLife 2 reviews from this member

Fantastic beautiful scenic setting at the foot of the carneddau, I believe it to be. Though I didn't enquire seems to be a working farm and you'll be sharing the grounds with chickens and ducks. That will either not bother you or put you off straight away. I didn't mind. They have a bunk house but I pitched a tent for 5 - you can't go wrong with that.

Facilities include: Four toilets, clean and basic (would prob be cold during bad weather but luckily weather was great for me). Large shower block (shared not separate for m/f) three cubicles two sinks metered hairdryer.

The showers are 50p for 5 mins and tokens need to be purchased. And your 5 mins start when the token is slotted in so be prepared to get in at that moment. It's kind of like a basic changing room facility like at a small gym or sports grounds. It's not bare floors / walls so is somewhat insulated so shouldn't get very cold in there. I did spot a washing up area, though I didn't think to check out as I was literally there overnight.

I'm vegan but for those that aren't, I'm sure there was signs they sell their eggs? Site is conveniently located for a route to C. Llewelyn (which I did). I can therefore assume C. Daffyd and Y. Ellen routes are easily accessible as well as Ogwen Valley. Also not far drive for Snowdon Betws Y Coed and Bethesda and of course Capel Curid area. It great that they also have a car park for 2 for those that won't be staying over night.

Very conveniently located and if your not fussed about using basic facilities then this is a perfect place. Your not paying for 5* facilities so your not going to get them but top marks for what is offered for the price. Owners are sound and friendly and though not reachable at times it seems it's ok to pitch up and then pay next day. Just remember to get your shower token! (Reason for why I marked it down).

Only bad experience I had was the midges. Gnats everywhere but just in the late eve. However this seems to be the case in the area. Following AM I was up C. Llewelyn summit and that's where I got bit the most! And I experienced this on another camp site, same area about 4-5 miles down the road. So do bring repellent and adequate protection!

There's not much in the way for children to do there but two reasons I will mark it n/a is because I don't have any and was alone and that the site isn't aimed at families though I can't see any problem if parents brought their children. I'm sure they'd be entertained by the chicks n ducks!

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Mitzi16 13 reviews from this member

Fabulous site for easy access to several of the Glyderau and Carneddau peaks.

This is a delightful farm site, developed and modernised just enough to give good facilities but not to spoil the characteristics of a working farm.

Space for 5-6 vans on gravel in front of the farmhouse (EHU hookup for 3-4?) and campervans allowed anywhere on site, especially Capel Curig end of the camping field.

Direct access to Tryfan and Carnedd Llywelyn, 1 mile to Ogwen Cottage for hike up Glyder Fawr. Loved this site.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Ashard 2 reviews from this member

We came on a Thurday and left on Sunday, brilliant 3 nights stay other than my colleagues snoring. Facilities had improved on last year i. E. The washing up room. Campsite was great, we were lucky with the weather. Owners were great and non-intrusive. For 5. 00 a night and 50p for 5mins shower it was well worth the journey from Sheffield.

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Adeal3 1 review from this member

Great campsite if you want to feel part of Snowdonia with mountain views, sheep and ducks. It has all you need - clean toilets and warm showers (buy tokens at 50p for 7 minutes before you want the shower!). Loads of room and you camp where you like but wherever this is I suspect the wind still blows. The owners are very nice and have a flexible approach to taking money from the campers - 5 per person, per night. It's just off the A5 on the left as you drive to Lake Ogwen but the traffic is not an issue. I'd happily stay here again but remember this is a campsite as a base for walking/climbing and is not a 3* leisure park.

I stayed with my 8 year old and he was very happy but it won't suit all kids so be aware.

There is a bunkhouse but I didn't look in this but probably a good choice for a larger party who don't fancy carrying tents.

Date of Visit: September 2012 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Campintent 18 reviews from this member

The first point to note is that the website's map shows this site in the wrong location. It is actually about 1 mile further West on the A5, where a track leads off South across a cattle grid and there is a small gritted parking area beside the road.

I have been to this site many times over the years and I love it. But take note, this is a very basic, rough and ready site on a working farm. It is in one of the wildest parts of Snowdonia, so my score reflects that situation. If I were scoring a 3-star site, my standards would be different.

The site is in a stunning location in the Ogwen Valley, which was once glaciated. So you are in the bottom of a U-shaped valley, surrounded by steep-sided hills. The most immediately striking impression is the view of Tryfan (a much-eroded volcanic core), which rises up in front of you. The view at sunrise is simply awe-inspiring.

Because of its location, the site is exposed to strong winds blowing down the valley, usually from the West, so pitching your tent at the right angle is essential, or it will get trashed, or at best you will find it very difficult to use your stove. Some of the facilities are very basic indeed, such as the toilets placed right beside the track to the farmhouse. The showers are good but again are just in a concrete out-house. As others have said, make sure you get a supply of tokens and get ready before you put one in the meter. On arrival, just pitch your tent wherever you like. No need to call at the farmhouse. It's all done on trust and the farmer will collect your money in the morning, so expect an early call as he walks around. The farm sometimes sells eggs, but more supplies can be obtained in the grocery shop in Capel Curig, where a visit to Joe Brown's climbing equipment shop is always a treat. The cafe there in Capel offers very welcome hot food.

This is a walkers' and climbers' campsite and is intended for hardy outdoor types, not families on holiday. In the right frame of mind, it is glorious. It is the perfect base from which to explore the mountain ranges. The Glyders and Carnedds at right on the doorstep and a drive round to the Snowdon range is very easy.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Vivlar 1 review from this member

This campsite is in a fantastic location, and the scenery is stunning. We knew to expect basic facilities before we arrived so we were OK with this.

On arrival we paid the farmer for 2 nights, but he doesn't provide any receipt or ticket. On the back of this he came to our tent on the 2nd morning at 7. 30am asking 'have you paid for your camping?' this woke us up which we weren't too impressed about. We could hear him going up to everyones tent with the same thing.

The shower block looked OK and clean but unfortunately we didn't get to have a shower as at the end of a hot and sticky day when we needed one, the farmer had gone out for the evening! The showers take a token bought from the farmer for 50p, so if the farmer's out then hard luck.

We will not be going back to this campsite, which is a shame as the location was great!

Date of Visit: September 2009 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Lmp1107 2 reviews from this member

Loved this campsite, we stayed for 2 nights, at only 4.00 per person per night. The views were amazing, with mountains all around you, The owner was very helpful when we arrived we went to the farmhouse to pay, upon asking he showed use where the toilets and showers were,(showers are 50p, but you need to change your 50p for a token which you put in a machine outside the shower, it gives you 7 mins, so if you want this full 7 mins id recommend you get undressed first and either come outside in a towel(so you don't frighten other guests!) or get a fellow camper to put it in for you,
the owner also recommended where to put our tent so it would be less windy and he also had ordnance survey maps that he kindly said we could borrow if we wanted too.
The main purpose of our stay was to go up snowdon (although I have to say we did cheat and go up on the train- if you are unfit like us and want to get the train too, id recommend buying the early bird train ticket in advance, its for the 9am train and is half the price of a usual ticket therefore costing just 12.50), it takes about 25mins in the car from the campsite to snowdon railway carpark.
From the campsite there are lots of walks you could take. It is well set back from the road and had very little traffic travelling along it at night, so we could hear the nice small stream which ran along the edge of the campsite.
As for the facilities there are 5 toilets (2 are a bit nicer then the rest, one even had a silver toilet seat!)3 showers, 2 washing up sinks which are outside, the plugs are not very good, so id recommend taking your own washing up bowl!also you get a little splash back on your legs, when the sink is emptied!

There are 3 small dogs, which sometimes wander round the camp, but they are very friendly, there are also ducks and hens which sometimes are about too! I really like having animals around me, but please remember to take your rubbish to the bins everyday,and don't leave food in the tent, as one night we had a chicken going through our rubbish and he also decided to wander into our tent and help himself to an avocado too! but we had to see the funny side, we wanted to get away from it all and get back to nature after all and that's certainly what we got!
Would highly recommend this campsite if you want the same.

Previous     14 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Write a Review of this Site to Win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Is Gwern Gof Isaf Farm child friendly?  YES, it accepts children  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Gwern Gof Isaf Farm ?  There is a shop within 5 miles  View all facilities

Is Gwern Gof Isaf Farm dog friendly?  NO  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Betws Y Coed      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Conwy

UKCS Meet Scottish Caravan and Motorhome VIRTUAL Show 03/02 to 06/02
Browse the latest models, research purchases and watch expert webinars, all from the comfort of your sofa ...more