Visitor Reviews - Whitehall Farm Certificated Location

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > East Anglia > Norfolk > Site Reviews

Whitehall Farm Certificated Location
Burnham Thorpe
Walsingham Road
Burnham Thorpe
Norfolk   (Browse area)
PE31 8HN
Tel: 01328 738416  or  07787 551828

This site has an availability calendar. You can check for availability here

Pitches: 25 tents

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Glamping Units
 Baby Changing Facilities   No Laundry   Drinking Water   Disabled Friendly
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point
 Shop <5 miles   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   Wifi Access
 Fishing 5 miles   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding 5 miles   No Cycle Hire   Golf 5 miles   No Tennis
 Beach 5 miles   Watersports 10 miles   No Boat Launch
 No Sea Views   Working Farm   Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 5 miles  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  15 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: July 2018 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Djohns54 2 reviews from this member

I was a solo camper travelling on a small motorcycle on this occasion ( it's usually my wife and myself in a car with larger tent) and stayed at Whitehall Farm for two nights at short notice. Valerie was very welcoming, informative and helpful. The camping area has one it's two fields designated 'adults only' which is useful at this time of year (school hols) if you don't want to camp near young families (bless them, we were there once !).

I've looked at other reviews here and the one from Jaynus in April 2015 sums up everything I thought about the site and talking to other campers during my visit suggests the site has a loyal following of people who like their offer and return regularly.

For me the site has everything you need and nothing you don't, feels well kept and efficiently run for the benefit of all.

If visiting this area again we would definitely make this our first port of call and I did check out several other sites.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Fuzzyfreak 29 reviews from this member

Very large field, and nicely spaced out pitches. Not well sign posted if coming from South, but I happened to see the sign for anyone approaching from North or West (I can't imagine that is many people).

Friendly owner who showed me to the pitch and told me where all amenities are.

Loos and showers were passable but both my daughter and another girl locked themselves in and had to be let out by passing campers - not a very nice experience for them.

Personally, I'd like to see the porta-cabin style loos and showers replaced by a proper toilet block.

Site is nicely located for Holkham, the Burnhams, the Creakes and Wells, so would probably come back.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Antony Church 3 reviews from this member

Just returned from this wonderful campsite. The hosts Barry and Val was very welcoming. Our pitch for our family tent was very spacious, leaving plenty of room with our neighbours. The facilities was very good, hot showers, loos were clean and plenty of fridges and freezers for storing food.

The site is set in lovely countryside in Burnham Thorpe. There is a great pub, The Lord Nelson, about 15 minutes walk providing excellent food. The shops at Burnham Market is about 2 miles away, a lovely town though it does get very busy and parking can be tricky.

The is not a lot to criticise about this site. As we stayed for 10 days, it would have been handy if a washing machine was availible to clean clothes and a few more showers would be good, but overall a very quiet site, and will return.

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Melmel74 25 reviews from this member

We stayed for 4 nights following on from the last May Bank Holiday having already stayed 3 nights at another site. What a gem of a site this is! Initially I was hesitant about the portaloo facilities but these were immaculate and warm and far better than some 'block style' facilities I have seen at other sites. The showers are in a separate block which also houses numerous fridges, a freezer, microwave, kettle and a brilliant 'gadget charging' station.

The camping field is huge, mostly level and well drained and next to a horse paddock - I counted about 12 horses during our stay so plenty to see when lounging about.

You can hire a fire basket at 5 for the week - logs are 4 a bag.

There was a group of about 8 tents pitched in a circle throughout our stay but the field is so large we honeslty couldn't hear them at all (unless they spoke in whispers the entire time!?).

There are some EHU points plus some glamping pods at the top of the filed near the facilities blocks.

There is no shop on site so you need to have your supplies with you although it's not far to Fakenham if you need a supermarket.

I recommend popping round the corner to Creake Abbey where there is a brilliant farm-shop-come cafe and some other shops plus the Abbey ruins. We ate at the cafe on Fri night where they had a jazz evening - 15 for 3 courses which was great value and very tasty. We went back for breakfast the next day after packing up the tent.

Plenty to do in the area - Wells, Holkham Bay, Pensthorpe Nature Reserve, Titchwell RSPB reserve, Sandringham, Castle Acre.

I'd love to go back to this site as it ticks all the boxes for us.

Date of Visit: April 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jaynus 21 reviews from this member

Just returned from a 4 night break in our tent. We had mixed weather - rain, sun and wind.

The site is perfect for us - do not come expecting 5* facilities - this is a working farm but a very friendly one. The owners were out when we arrived but had a message to say pitch in the camping field and come up to the house to pay later on. The camping field is reasonably flat with good shelter along one side and horse paddocks to the other side and is South facing. There are 4 unisex toilets at the top of the camping field - all with sinks and hand driers in them and then a portacabin at the side of the toilets - in here there are further washing sinks - pot washing sinks, several fridges and freezers, a microwave, a kettle, a hairdrier and 2 showers and an area to charge mobiles etc. All for free :-)

There is another smaller toilet/shower block at the top of the field near the pony paddocks (didn't go in this one) and another shower room next to the farmhouse. The site was very quiet when we were there so never had to wait for toilets or showers.

Fire pits could be hired for 5 I think for the length of your stay.

There is a great pub in the village - 10 mins walk down the quiet dark lane (bring a torch) - it serves beer straight from the cask - no real bar as such and serves amazing food - we ate here on 3 nights out of 4 - book in advance to avoid disappointment as it does get busy.

The location is great - 5 miles from Wells, close to Holkam Hall and beach.

We will certainly be returning here.

I love the fact that they have a maximum occupancy of 70 people - number of tents is irrelevant - htye go on the amount of people only so don't be surprised if you turn up, the field looks empty but there is a FULL sign up.

Great site. Loved it all :-)

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Maltabus 1 review from this member

We stayed here for our first ever camping experience. And loved it.

When we booked we were 'squeezed in' as the site was full. If the site was full then the owners like to give you lots of spcae. There was no overcrowding with masses of space left.

It was great to find a site that offered fridge and freezer facilities, we didn't have to worry buying a portable fridge if we didn't like the experience. The toilets and showers very very clean, although the site could do with a couple more showers.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: HelenWalker2437 6 reviews from this member

We really enjoyed our stay on this large, uncrowded and well managed campsite. The field is gently sloping with lovely views of the countryside. The facilities are good, clean and well serviced. The toilet units are big enough to use as wash rooms if the showers are busy, which they can be at peak times. We appreciated the provision of fridges, freezers a microwave and hairdryer. We enjoyed a lovely day out cycling to and round nearby Holkham Hall and park; the stables cafe there serves delicious cakes. We also drove over to Wells-next-the-Sea, which is a typical seaside town with a great beach. The campsite also offers horse owners to bring their horses on holiday and watching them grazing in the nearby fields was an added bonus. We could, however, have done without the wood pigeons, who were rather early risers! We ate at the nearby Nelson pub twice and had a good, reasonably priced meal on both occasions. We will definitely return if we are back in the area.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: MrandmrsR 2 reviews from this member

Just came back from the weekend spent here with friends. It's a great, quiet family site.

Site is part of a working arable farm which has B&B, glamping pods, riders staying with their horses, caravaners and camping. Friendly and efficient owners.

We really enjoyed the site, it's in a great location, good facilities with fridges, freezers and microwave. Fantastic fish and chips at The Mermaid in Burnham Market, The Lord Nelson pub is a ten minute walk away and the lovely beaches of Holkham and Brancaster are about ten mins drive.

If we absolutely had to find fault with it is that it could do with a couple more showers in peak times and that the washing up is separated from the wash basins apart from that though it's a lovely family site.

Reviewer: JN71 2 reviews from this member

Have just spent the weekend at this lovely little farm. As first time campers the location was perfect as my husband knows the area quite well. We were shown where everything is on arrival and told to pitch up wherever we liked apart from where the premium pitches were which have EHU. The camping field is a decent size and the owners do not allow overcrowding so as we did not require EHU we parked towards the end of the field and from seeing the other campers it's clear you can have as much space as you need. This was brilliant for us as we have a young dog and whilst she was kept tethered at all times at least she wasn't too restricted in how far she could wander about.

As other reviewers have said the site is in easy reach of Holkham, Hunstanton, Blakeney etc.

The local pub The Lord Nelson is about a 10 minute walk from the site and serves very good food with a very welcoming atmosphere - and the dog was allowed in the bar area too which was great.

The facilities are very good with two toilet cubicles next to the camping field with soap, toilet rolls and hand dryers inside. The portacabin opposite houses the washing up area, fridges, freezer and two showers.

For us the showers were the only negative thing about the site as the flooring in both shower rooms is lifting up so water gets trapped underneath. As this is the part of the room for drying yourself I found that I had to keep standing on my shoes otherwise I got dirty water all over my feet after showering. There is a bucket of water and mop supplied to clear up any water spills but if I'm honest I don't think the water gets changed very regularly so when I tried to have a clear up after my first shower I found that I had made more of a mess than when I started. If the floors could be upgraded then I would have given the site 10 out of 10.

My only other comment is a tip for fellow first time campers - make sure you take some sturdy tent pegs to this site - the ones that came with our tent weren't really up to the job as the ground there is very hard due to the high levels of flint in the earth. Not the owners fault at all, and we would definitely visit Whitehall Farm again.

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Eloisejade 2 reviews from this member

Great little campsite!

We arrived at around 5pm on a Saturday night and hadn't booked, no one answered the main cottage door but after calling the number from the website we were told we could pitch up wherever we wanted and all details would be sorted in the morning.

The site was well kept and nice and quiet. The toilets and showers were clean with hot water.

Especially handy that they also have a fridge and freezer available for use.

We went to the village pub which is a 5 minute walk from the site. The food was nice and it had a very welcoming feel to it.

We would definitely come back again!

Previous     15 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Norfolk

Win an Outwell Sleeping Package worth over 399 Win a Best of British Holiday worth up to 175!

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 6 to 7th July, Derbyshire
Save 20 on a weekend's camping with masses to do ...more

Play the UKCampsite.co.uk
Easter Hunt

Easter Hunt

Follow the clues, find the answer, and win a fantastic Easter prize - a TV / DVD Combo worth 399!