Visitor Reviews - Kilbroney Caravan Park

Campsite Search > UK > Northern Ireland > N Ireland > Rostrevor > Kilbroney Caravan Park Reviews

Kilbroney Caravan Park
Shore Road
Rostrevor
N Ireland   (Browse area)
BT34 3AA
Tel: 028 4173 8134

Open: Easter To September

Electric Hookups   No Hardstandings   Fully Serviced Pitches   Show Full Facilities
 Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   No Wifi Access
 No Fishing   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding 5 miles   No Cycle Hire   Golf 5 miles   Tennis On Site
 Beach 10 miles   Watersports 5 miles   No Boat Launch
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 1 mile  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  28 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: May 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Nights stayed: 7 Travelling as:  Retired couple
Reviewer: Mrs. Bonce 240 reviews from this member

A previous review states that this is one of the best sites in Northern Ireland! if this is the case, I dread to think what the others are like! the diagram of the site suggests that there are few trees; there are absolutely loads and they block out what should be lovely views.

We are on pitch 9, shown on the diagram as well away from trees, but it's right into them and also has a terrible slope, very difficult to level up. No Sky tv signal to be found.

Nobody so far has mentioned the midges which are out in force especially in the evenings.

There are still temporary showers which should have been finished; the one I used was full of tree debris and hair in the plughole, did not look as if it was ever cleaned properly.

The only saving grace is that there are decent walks around.

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Maure 3 reviews from this member

Well our family all have tourers that's 4 families and we all had our get together this month at Kilbroney. Our youngest son who has his own tourer had a slight sore shoulder on arrival but it got extremely worse that he had to be taken to Daisy Hill hospital for pain relief only to find that when they returned we had been told we had to be off as quick as poss as they were placing cabin containers on site for Red Bull Mountain Bike trials. I had to pack up our caravan by myself and husband had to pack up my sons as he had to return to hospital for more pain relief. Now they knew at office all about him but we still had to go none of us had lunch and there was 2 Grandkids too hadn't even had lunch. But the best of all was the trials don't start till this weekend and this was on the Monday. We had planned to go to the cafe on site but couldn't get caravans parked as to try and swing a double axle up to car park was impossible. We had to wait until we came across a cafe on road home which took sometime. We have many a great stay on Kilbroney but this one ended very disappointedly. No consideration was given to our situation at all. I am very disappointed indeed. I am rating points on this last stay only.

The sites are very sloped our caravan looked like it was taking off at front it was wedged up so high to level it out.

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Balfour 16 reviews from this member

Stayed here for a couple of days - had the place to ourselves - thank god as a lot of the pitches were virtually unusable due to them being so slanted - I would say about one fifth you would need very big levelling ramps.

All sites well serviced, concreted, facilities good. Was unable to use the main entrance due to the height of the motorhome so had to go in the exit against the one way system. Very close to the town and Park. Lovely area.

Great as a centre for touring from. I have given it an overall rating of 7/10 due to the amount of pitches which really cannot be used safely.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Baddon 6 reviews from this member

Went with my 10 year old and our mountain bikes for one night to dip our tow in the water so to speak (not sure how stressful it would be if I'm honest)

STUNNING views

STUNNING trails

STUNNING site & facilities & Staff

Only bad point is that a lot of the hard standings are very slopped and would not have suited me at all. I just need a flat area, does not have to be hard standed as I don't bother with electric or other services. We stayed only a friday night as the site is so popular it was fully booked for Sat night.

Free WiFi was great once my son went to bed. Staff were helpful as this was our first stay at the site. They put a couple of my freezer pack in the freezer overnight so they could keep food cool the 2nd day.

Toilet blocks (there are two) were good and tidy. Biggest plus was the kids play ground though, my ten year old just disappeared as soon as we arrived and only came back to get a drink or introduce me to his new friends or when he needed food. Kids love em but really couldn't eat a whole one! Just as well the trailer tent is a doodle to put up and down on my own then!

I don't think they get a lot of trailer tents as I got quite an audience watching how it went up and loads of questions. I was one of the few men on site as it appears most work and leave wife and kids there during the week.

I meet loads of very friendly people, from an older couple in a MH who used to use a trailer tent to many families all stopping to say hello on their way past.

We will be back.

Would also use as a base for mountain biking with the good lady IF anyone wants to look after the three little ones???

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Aplpdf22 3 reviews from this member

This is a great site, well located for exploring Mourne area. The facilities are excellent and well maintained. There is lots for the whole family, wide open spaces, good playgrounds for children, greatmountain bike routes, walks direct from the site. It uses an easy off road walk into Rostrevor for shopping, pubs, restaurants and take always. Thoroughly recommended

Date of Visit: October 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Jonjesk 7 reviews from this member

We were looking forward to this site as we always read reviews to guide where we stay. I must say I was a little underwhelmed. Most of the pitches are on slopes, some quite severe. Toilet block was reasonable but dated, sinks a little too high for comfort. Great location [10 minute walk into the village, surrounded by forest] and views, great for mountain bikers. I wouldn't say I will not use it again but I would not rave about it.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jmc74 5 reviews from this member

We have been to this site a few times, and every time, we have a great stay. I don't want to repeat everything that is on their website to do, and everything the park has to offer, but I will review the camping basics that we like :-)

We stayed in an ehu site, but have also stayed in non ehu. The toilets/showers are clean/warm/tidy and free! There are enough showers and toilets to deal with the demand. We have never had to queue or wait for a shower or toilet!

There are 3 wash stations for doing dishes, again clean, warm and tidy. Plenty of bins to put rubbish in.

Washing machine is available for washing clothes, (we have never stayed long enough to need to use this facility).

There is a great park for the kids to play in.

Due to demand and people enjoying themselves, sometimes the park can get noisy after the nighttime deadline, however with security on site, all it takes is a quick phone call, and they walk around the site and quieten it down again.

I have 3 young children, and have never had a bad stay at this site. It is one of our favourites to stay in.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Canvasser 4 reviews from this member

Just spent two nights here with seven other families and had a great weekend. Arrived Friday evening and checked in with a £20 deposit for the key card (toilets and barrier gate. )Kids disappeared to the park (1 min walk from tent) while we set up and cooked. There are security 'Guards' on site from 2100 to 0500 and they have a pitch by the facilities block. They do a walk around but otherwise are just there at their van. Saturday we walked the world class mountain bike trail (book in advance if you want to rent one or bring your own) The views are stunning. Had a BBQ that night and got no grief with a good, controlled fire in it afterwards for marshmallow toasting. Rostrevor village is 10 mins walk away and has grocery shops and bars. The site also has tennis courts for (cheap) hire but you need your own equipment! The amenities are very clean and close enough even to the furthest pitches. The only negative we had was that the pitches, both tent and van, are on a slope so if there was rain I don't know how it would flow (Amazing I know but we got great weather !)The on site Café had all of us arrive at once (34 people) for Sunday breakfast and coped brilliantly!

Overall, a great weekend in stunning surroundings with plenty for the kids. Will we return? Already in hand!

Date of Visit: September 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: MONTFORD 7 reviews from this member

1st time to Kilbroney with the caravan, very nicely laid out site with hard standing serviced pitches. All the grass has suffered with a wet year, and vehicle tracks and awning marks are in abundance! All sites, that aren't near a beach, have suffered with the wet this year. (Hope they repair this in the winter. ) We were on the top row, word of warning, there is quite a fall to the pitch, not for the faint hearted!

Facilities are top notch, very clean, heated and modern, bit of a walk from the far pitches. Park is deadly quiet come nightfall, even for the middle of Sept it was busy. On site cafe, well run and quite reasonable.

Rostrrevor a lovley place. Walks in the forest just great. Will return before 5th Nov when it closes.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Ozziemm 2 reviews from this member

Good Points. Staff friendly, check-in was easy showers and toilet block clean, if a bit dated. Park itself was lovely, scenery and walks were excellent. Cafe was good, a bit expensive, local shops, pubs, take-aways a short walk away Good too see security on site, after 11oclock site was very quiet which we liked

Downside was the site we were on. This was our first time here, we were on a site that sloped badly. This site had metal posts around it and it was hard to reverse caravan into. Also we needed something to put against the wheel to stop from running down the hill, we eventually found some large stones. Our back jacks were fully extended and our van still sloped backwards. We were nervous about this. Also no where to put up awning that we needed for our two dogs. This ruined our time on the park, sites 34-40 all slope like this so be aware. Also very few sites are really suitable for awning.

We would go again if we had a better site and were able to put up our awning

Previous     28 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in N Ireland

Win a £299 Clarke IG1200B Suitcase Generator! Win a Holiday at Woolacombe Bay Holiday Park

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 6 to 7th July, Derbyshire