Visitor Reviews - Llanystumdwy Camping And Caravanning Club Site

Campsite Search > UK > Wales > Gwynedd > Criccieth > Llanystumdwy Camping And Caravanning Club Site Reviews

Llanystumdwy Camping And Caravanning Club Site
Tyddyn Siane
Llanystumdwy
Criccieth
Gwynedd   (Browse area)
LL52 0LS

Open: 01/04 to 30/09

No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 Chemical Disposal   Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 No Shop   No Bar   No Restaurant   Wifi Access
 No Fishing   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport On Site  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  23 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: September 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Doncaster76 12 reviews from this member

Pleasant site. All the negatives are beyond control of site - it slopes (stones throw away from Snowdonia - what do people expect?), it is close to an A road (a positive in my eyes as it is easy to tour caravan to) and it rains constantly (it is Wales!).

A relative novice like myself had no problems levelling caravan with a couple of helpful instructions from warden.

Date of Visit: July 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Bubbles007 1 review from this member

We stayed on this site for three days in July & the site had all the facilities that we needed. Has I am disabled I was surprised at the very large disabled toilet & shower room which was spotlessly clean.

I would recommend this site to anyone visiting Criccieth & surrounding area's.

Date of Visit: July 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Wakefieldfamily 3 reviews from this member

We stayed here for 5 nights and had a lovely holiday. The site is sloping but it wasn’t too much of an issue for us, also close to a road so you do get road noise. The toilets and showers were very clean and they were cleaned several times a day, nice and warm in there too. You can store ice packs in the freezer in the shop which is useful. Nice walks close by and a pub down the road, good location for visiting many lovely beaches in he area.

Date of Visit: September 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sheffield hatter 4 reviews from this member

We had a one night stopover here on a cycling tour. It's a short ride to the shops and pubs in Criccieth and there's also the local pub, the Feathers, or Tafarn Y Plu in Welsh, which is half a mile away. (A torch is recommended if going there in the evening as there is no pavement and no street lights most of the way. )

The site is on a sloping field but has been levelled out in places and we found a spot where a hedge provided some shelter from the northerly wind. The down side is that this was quite close to the main road, which was busy all afternoon and early evening. (It's the road between Porthmadog and Pwllheli, two small towns. It felt like half the population was driving up and down for the sheer hell of it. )

The site staff were friendly and welcoming, and apart from a computer glitch when I tried to pay with my card, everything went smoothly, and to be fair we were offered a choice of pitches - we just didn't realise how busy the road would be. (And in fact even the road the other side of the site could be noisy, with the occasional boy-racer zooming up and down. )

The facilities were very good, though I can imagine they might become a little cramped if there were more campers. The showers were excellent, which is essential after a bike ride. We paid £7 each. We are not members of the Camping and Caravanning Club, so we consider this to be good value for a well-presented site with facilities as good as these.

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Diffydunco 3 reviews from this member

My wife and I stayed here with our three little dogs for 10 days this year.

We were lucky with the weather as it only rained once. We had lovely walks which the site managers will give you and we found it very a very handy location to enable us to see all the interesting areas around this lovely part of Wales.

We benefitted from having one of the 5 hardstanding sites which is beneficial due to the site being sloping.

The shower blocks are well maintained by the very caring wardens who were very helpful at all times.

We loved it at LLanystumdwy, the birth place of David Lloyd George.

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Infinity31 6 reviews from this member

We spent 3 nights at this lovely site which is very well situated to explore the Lyn Peninsula. Having read the previous reviews and the wording in the Camping and Caravanning Club book/website we knew to take levelling blocks with us. But the wardens were quite happy to help with bricks and choice of area if you have arrived without any. The benefit of the slope at the top of the first field of course was the views of both mountains and sea.

Facilities all clean, well maintained, with plenty of hot water. Wardens very friendly and not over powering as others have posted - yes - they took an interest that all was running as you would expect but that is in the interest of all visitors.

Only reason to mark down for us was the close proximity of two roads which did give a bit of noise - but we were warned that the pitch we choose was next to a road which was used early in the morning - we could have moved after the first night if we wanted but it was not too much a problem. The roads in question gave good access to both the village of Llanystumdwy (excellent pub - The Feathers 10 minutes walking) and the rest of the peninsula - Criccieth and Pwllheli. Very handy bus service stopped right outside the site on request.

Certainly we would use this site again.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Ashy55 14 reviews from this member

Really enjoyed our ten night stay at this site. The manager and assistant plus their partners were incredibly friendly, thoughtful and helpful, throughout our stay.

The site is sloping but we had a perfectly level folding camper thanks to the site managers who helped us to site and pitch our Pennine Fiesta.

The weather was amazing and we had sun in the morning at our awning and sun at the rear later in the day, so also shade for our dog!

The site has a small shop with essentials, bacon etc and we could order a morning paper each day! Bliss! The bus to Porthmadog and Pwllheli stops by request at the gate every half hour so there were plenty of opportunities to leave the car at the pitch.

We went for food to the local pub, Tafarn y Plu on two occasions which were superb. They only open at night from 6pm.

The Castle at Criccieth served the most amazing sunday lunches so we had to go both sundays that we were there.

Fabulous site in an excellent location to explore Snowdonia, Llyn Peninsula and further afield in Wales!

This is what we did;

Saturday - Settled in

Sunday - Explored Criccieth and lunch at Castle

Monday - Walked along coastal path to Criccieth and went to Tafarn y Plu

Tuesday - Discovered amazing Roman ruins near Trawsfynnydd (Tomen y Mur)

Wednesday - Explored Pwllheli

Thursday - Drove to Betws y Coed

Friday - Bus to Porthmadog, then Welsh Highland Railway to Beddgelert

Saturday - Explored Porthmadog then dinner at Tafarn y Plu again! (Yummy)

Sunday - Criccieth again and Sunday lunch at the Castle again.

Monday - Drove to Trefor near Nefyn and lunch at The Bryncynan near Morfa Nefyn

On Tuesday we came home.

Will definitely go again to this site!

PS Wifi was good too.

Date of Visit: October 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Olliesmum 2 reviews from this member

Arriving on Saturday at midday the staff member appeared quickly after I rang the bell to enquire if there was room for our small motorhome. Advised me there was grass only and I had better not get stuck because he could not pull me out! He then offered to let me park on the roadway, which I did and was able to level up the vehicle without any trouble.

The site was clean and neatly mown, the facilities block was clean with loads of hot water, there was a dog walking area which was no more than a square of grass but unlike others I did walk my dog around the site without receiving the wrath of the warden. The stay was adequate but I would not go back. I am used to receiving a welcome more in line with the CCC 'The Friendly Club' strapline of we are here to help.

I will not talk down the slopes, the road noise or distance to the village! Come on folks, nothing can be done about any of that and a google earth search beforehand can tell you all you need to know, even down to the place being next to the Lleyn peninsular main road.

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Jaybeeretired 2 reviews from this member

A convenient site for exploring the area. Very few pitches that arent sloping in at least one direction. There are logs and bricks etc lying around to aid levelling but Id say be prepared with your own familiar equipment for the job. We were greeted on arrival and helped to choose a site best suited to us and our tourer. The facilities are spotlessly clean and during our stay the water available in the block was super HOT. Hair dryer p. A. Y. G. Available, as is wifi. Very quiet site people wise -seems to be older couples and no families. No playground, but a separate field for kicking a football around or picnicing -(but no dogs allowed on it). A small area is available for dog walking and pooing, but although it may look it, it isnt fenced securely, so I personally wouldn't let my dog off its lead.

One of the two roads the site is between was very noisy all day, but less so at night.

The site even without levelling problems is not very disabled friendly in terms of water and chemical disposal. The fresh water tap area by us had a raised concrete plinth all round, so you had to pull your full water container up and over it rather than there being a gap. The chemical waste was basically a small toilet compartment size building with a hole in the middle of the floor and a grill over it to place your container on. The problem? To reach it you had to hoist your full and heavy Thetford cassette up an 8 inch+ high step! Too hard for one oldie and not really enough space for two people to share the task.

Wardens super friendly and helpful, generally well kept attractive site with grass kept very short. The village by road, is a fair walk, not just a few minutes. Buses appear to pass the site regularly, but I understand they don't accept bus passes from outside the area.

The 'shop' is situated within the small site office, and has very limited stock.

This may not be general, but on our pitch, we found that for communications, our Orange phone had only one bar of reception, and our 02 one flitted about between 2 and full. A problem I suspect will be common on many sites in the area.

Date of Visit: May 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Peterspal 1 review from this member

I stayed at this site earlier in the year. It was my third visit and I occupied a grass pitch with no EHU.

The site is not perfect, it is mostly sloping and there is some road noise but nevertheless it is one of my favourite C&CC sites. I have been lucky on all my visits in that I have been given a more or less flat pitch in a small area which is also sheltered and convenient for the ablutions block. Having said that, all my visits have been outside peak times.

The ablutions block is up to the usual C&CC high standard.

The welcome I received was excellent and I found the staff very friendly throughout my stay.

I can't comment on child friendliness but I did notice that the site has a large separate playing field although this is also on a slope.

The site is a few minutes walk from the pleasant village of LLanystumdwy which has a pub, a cafe by the river and the Lloyd George museum. I did not try the cafe or museum but did visit the pub. I found this to be an excellent village pub. At the time of my most recent visit it was selling three different real ales (all from Welsh breweries) and a variety of ciders. It also does what looked to be appetising meals but I did not try one.

As a previous reviewer has commented, the pub staff and locals speak mainly in Welsh when talking amongst themselves. I do not see anything strange in this, after all if I go to France I expect the locals to speak mainly in French. I also found that the Welsh speakers were only too happy to have a friendly conversation in English with myself and other English people when the occasion arose, so I would not suggest that anyone is put off by this.

I am looking forward to visiting this site again.

Previous     23 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Gwynedd

Win a £299 Clarke IG1200B Suitcase Generator! Win an Outwell Electric Barbecue Package worth over £205

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 6 to 7th July, Derbyshire