Visitor Reviews - Acton Field Camping Site

Campsite Search > UK > England > South West > Dorset > Swanage > Acton Field Camping Site Reviews

Acton Field Camping Site
Langton Matravers
Swanage
Dorset   (Browse area)
BH19 3HR
Tel: 01929 424184

Open: May To August

Chemical Disposal   Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point
 Shop <5 miles   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   No Wifi Access
 Fishing 5 miles   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Beach 5 miles   Watersports 5 miles   No Boat Launch
 Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Not Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 1 mile  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  33 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4

Date of Visit: July 2018 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Trevor + Jo 84 reviews from this member

This was my first visit to Acton Field Campsite, although I know the area well. On arrival, you'll find an informal site and the expectation that you'll find a suitable pitch (6m away from others) and the owners will be round in the morning. The site is gently sloping and appears to be a former open quarry, now grassed over. Although in places it is far from level, with loads of mounds and hollows, there are plenty of flat areas in between. From the top of the field there are fantastic views across Swanage to the sea. The ground is full of stones, as you'd expect on the Purbecks.

As a guide, the going rate for a medium sized tent was £15 per night. There are a small number of electric hook ups available. The facilities are perfectly adequate, kept clean and I never had to queue. There is a shed with a couple of freezers for ice packs which proved invaluable.

A 20 minute walk along The Priests way gets you to The Square & Compass pub. Fantastic for beer, cider and atmosphere. Don't expect too much in the way of food. Great walks connecting onto the Coast Path. Swanage seafront itself is a good 45 minute walk away.

Really enjoyed my stay here and the owners are lovely people too.

Date of Visit: July 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Fran1000 12 reviews from this member

We liked this site so much our planned one-night stay turned into 3!

This is camping like it used to be. Pitch where you like (but not within 6 metres), fires and bbq's fine as long as they're off the ground, farmer comes round and collects the money in the morning - and a lovely, relaxed, chilled-out atmosphere.

Facilities are just toilets, showers, bins, water, chemical waste and fire points. We saw one ehu point, there may be more. But what more do you need?

The location is fantastic, blissfully quiet but with buses stopping nearby. Awesome sea views, across to Bournemouth and the Isle of Wight. Fifteen minute level stroll across fields to Langton Matravers, where there is a shop, great, quirky pub and a little museum. Great walks in all directions, including coastal footpath. Friendly atmosphere, without being intrusive. Lots to do and see locally, and great beaches within a short drive. Child and dog-friendly.

And value for money? We paid £12 pn. I think that's the least we've paid since we got our MH 2 years ago.

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: ChrissieT 16 reviews from this member

We stayed here on a beautiful weekend for two nights in our two man tent. They are fairly relaxed as to where to pitch which was nice.

On our first day we walked down to Dancing Ledge, along the coast path, around by the Square and Compass and back across the fields. Poole, Swanage and Coffee Castle are near.

The showers and facilities were all fine and in good order. Staff were helpful, and gave us walk directions. The campsite leaflet was informative.

The pub in the village was very busy but quite decent.

Well worth a return visit.

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Poppy9560 6 reviews from this member

I stayed here for 5 nights over half term, I was alone in my tent and my friend and her 2 small children and her mum were in their tent. The people collecting the money next morning were helpful and friendly.

I chose what I thought would be a sheltered space to pitch but still felt the wind which was very strong the first 3 nights, but once the wind died down it was lovely. I sat outside the tent just looking at the stars on Friday night and it was beautiful.

The facilities were fine, regularly cleaned and I used 2 x 20p for the showers as I washed my hair as 3 minutes wasn't quite enough, the loos must have been regularly topped with paper as it never ran out even when the site got busier on Thursday. We got the bus to Swanage and to Corfe Castle which was very handy, unfortunately I didn't have time to go to the museum - I'll have to go again. The Kings Arms (A Woodhouse pub) in the village was lovely, we had dinner there one night and it's a charming traditional pub with a pub menu, fish and chips, sausage amd mash etc.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Orangeblossom 1 review from this member

I really liked this campsite. Although over the weekend it got more filled up, it never really felt over-crowded. There was no particular noise late at night, apart from the odd lowish voice etc (one has to be quiet after 11), which for us was great, as we have stayed on campsites where there have been really noisy people until 3 in the morning or so.

The owners were very friendly and cheerful, as indeed was the man who came round every morning in his mobile van selling bread, bacon, milk, newspapers etc. Also matches, which came in handy, as ours had got damp!

It did feel a little weird that just above the very top of the site there were a few private houses, but apart from that, we were basically surrounded by fields. Some of my family were disturbed at night by sheep baa-ing, but personally, that didn't bother me. Also, I couldn't really detect much, if any, traffic noise from the nearest main road, which was a huge bonus.

I found the facilities perfectly clean and adequate.

There are several footpaths roundabout going off in different directions, through pleasant countryside. Only a few minutes walk away through another field, is Toms Field campsite where they have a shop and breakfast bar. Quite handy if you don't fancy cooking in the morning. The shop sells food items and also some camping gear, which is useful.

Langton Matravers is not far to walk. We visited The Kings Arms pub there the first night as it was getting on for 9 and we hadn't had time to cook, so we had a very nice meal there. The pub was pretty packed out (it was a Monday night, so I don't know if it would be even busier Fiday and Saturday night).

Also in the village is at least one church, a Post Office/shop and a children's playground. There is also a very small but quite interesting museum, founded and run by a lovely and interesting local man. There is a small charge for entry.

If I were camping in the area again, I would definitely choose this site.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Doodlebugdil 5 reviews from this member

We've been to Acton Field 3 times now. Our first visit only happened because Tom's Field, 1/4 mile away was full on arrival. WE pitched in the near dark, late on a Friday night. Saturday morning dawned bright and clear and we were pleasantly surprised at our new surroundings. Although the site was very busy, it didn't feel overcrowded. The uneven, wild nature of the site means that units are 'naturally' separated as there are level spots between all the banks and dips. You could almost describe the field as 'terraced'

Toilet/shower block was under pressure due to the sheer number of campers but by avoiding peak times (8 - 9. 30) no queuing was necessary. Coin operated (20p for 3 mins) showers were fine. Facilities were cleaned regularly. Small shed with two freezers for ice blocks was a helpful touch. A van came onto site each morning selling fresh bread, eggs, milk, newspapers etc. The old gent who comes around collecting pitch fees is very friendly and laid back and has all the time in the world for a chat if that's your thing. Nearby must do's include The Square and Compass at Worth Matravers for great cider, a pasty and a bit of live music and the fabulous Dancing Ledge, about half an hour's walk. (Don't forget your swimming costume!) Whilst here, I took a stroll around Tom's Field to see what we were missing out on. Personally, I can't see how it's 'Cool' It looked overcrowded, over organised and over manicured. There was barely any space between units. Nice that rabbits were hopping around the site but I much prefer Acton Field and will be returning this spring

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Butterflies 60 reviews from this member

We stayed at this site to go to Swanage Folk Festival. This is a basic site and this is reflected in the price. The toilets are clean with soap and driers, showers are 20p for 3 minutes, there are also a couple of washing up sinks. If I had to moan it would be to put a shelter over the sinks as you canít do the washing up if itís raining. The site is on very uneven ground, so you need to find a flat spot to pitch (there are no EHU), but this is a super site with fabulous views out to the Isle of Wight. There is a bus stop 5 minutes away on the main road and plenty of taxis in Swanage, so you can park up here and still get about. The site is well situated for Corfe Castle and the village of Langdon Matravers has a pub and small shop. We would definitely return.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: MiniMassif 3 reviews from this member

Stayed here for three nights, including a Saturday night. That weekend there were several events going on in Swanage/Corfe, including a Walking Festival, a Folk Music Festival, and a Steam (Train) Gala, hence a few more campers on the Saturday than during the week.

Good things about this site - the topography means it doesn't feel crowded, as pitches are kept apart by the slopes between the flat bits (have also been here for an August Bank Holiday weekend). The openness of the site means you get full benefit of the daylight/sunshine right up to sunset - no long creeping shadows. Then after dark admire the night skies. The site is informal but not a free-for-all, and someone came round to collect the fees about half-nine/ten in the morning. Three shower cubicles (20p for three mins) and four toilets in the ladies (assume men's has similar), and two washing up sinks outside the block. This area is lit at night, but the rest of the campsite isn't - so just admire those stars! Freezer units to put ice blocks in also very useful.

Attracts a nice friendly, mixed bunch of campers. Peaceful in the evenings/nights.

Not so good things - water in the showers not quite hot enough for my liking, and not adjustable.

Personally prefer this site to Tom's Field (which admittedly has more, and hotter, showers), but don't tell everyone or they'll all want to stay!

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Gina11x 2 reviews from this member

After reading reviews on this site and the fact we didn't need to book we decided to give it ago. I must say we were not disappointed we arrived on a Thursday afternoon and didn't have to much problem finding a pitch big enough for 2 tents although the ground is uneven in parts this didn't pose a problem for us as we were able to pitch on a slight slope on the edge of the field, so even when the site got full we still had a nice amount of space. The facilities were very clean even when the site was busy and we never had to queue for them which was nice with the children. I would definitely recommend this site to anyone who wants a basic camping holiday I think it would be very hard to find better for the price. I really can't wait to return next yr for a couple of wks

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Enidan65 2 reviews from this member

A last minute decision for some family camping on Jubilee weekend left us feeling we would not find anything and we almost gave up, but found this little treasure.

This was our first visit here, friendly staff reasonably priced with good clean toilet/shower facilities (20p for 3 mins).

The field is uneven and natural but this allows for a bit of distance from other campers.

Fresh pastries in the morning from the van were welcome.

Ideal for access to Corfe Castle and Swanage, definitely visit again.

Previous     33 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Dorset

Win a £299 Clarke IG1200B Suitcase Generator! Win a Holiday at Woolacombe Bay Holiday Park

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 6 to 7th July, Derbyshire