Reviews of Holme Open Farm

Campsite Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Sedbergh > Holme Open Farm Reviews

Holme Open Farm

Sedbergh
Cumbria   (Browse area)
LA10 5ET
Tel: 015396 20654

No Electric Hookups   No Hardstandings   No Fully Serviced Pitches   Show Full Facilities
 Toilet Facilities   Hot Showers   No Washing Up Area   No Bathroom
 No Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 Shop On Site   Bar <5 miles   Restaurant <5 miles   No Wifi Access
 Fishing <5 miles   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   Campfires Allowed   Not Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   No Dog Walk

Reviews:  57 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6

To find out if we're taking bookings please contact us

Date of Visit: May 2019 Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 1 Travelling as:  Solo traveller
Reviewer: Camping Clan1 1 review from this member

Never again! Iíve been camping all over the UK all of my life and have never seen such dirty facilities. The mixed sex shower block hasnít been painted or cleaned for so long it is covered in cobwebs and general grime. The shower cubicles are grubby and the hot (lukewarm at best) water takes forever to go from freezing to tepid.

The washing-up sink is situated in the centre of the shower/toilet block from which you get a great view of the womenís toilets to the right and the menís urinal to the left.

I get that this is a working farm but thatís not an excuse to let the facilities get into such a disgusting condition - these facilities are for your paying guests not your animals.

Date of Visit: September 2017 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Jacqi 2 reviews from this member

Lovely site. Very peaceful way to break a journey up the M6. Lots of wildlife saw dippers, herons, large fish jumping. Heard lots of owls at night. We will return for a longer stay.

Great being able to have a fire. The toilets etc kept clean and water hot. Just a bit of farmyard blown in.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Marc h 2 reviews from this member

This is a great and idyllic camping spot within the farm grounds. Only a short distance from the motorway surrounded by river and hills and easy to find. Helpful and friendly owners on arrival and very pleased we could have a camp fire as it was a cold night. One of us was in a tent as-well as having the campervan.

Very good for all ages of children as there is an indoor soft play area as-well as all the animals to see. Short walk along river and surrounding area was very pleasant. Pigs were amusing in the morning as they came to roam around and try to eat our breakfast! Toilet block all functional and just what you would expect in a farm.

A great place for back to basic camping.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Jumpalious 1 review from this member

My partner and I first visited this site last year with my teenage daughter, the fact that we came back again this year says something. This site is absolutely perfect if you want your holidays to be somewhere where you can just chill and enjoy your days.

As most have said the toilet/shower block isn't the best BUT this is a working farm and it obviously has a surface clean everyday. The water is ALWAYS warm and it's free. There is ALWAYS loo roll, hand wash and paper towels available (something the bigger sites lack).

The cafe is small, but not cramped, and pleasantly decorated, with local art prints on the wall to buy. The cafe also incorporates a little gift shop which is basically a few kids toys and naff ornaments etc. What you would expect to see in a farm shop cafe. We only used the cafe once last year and found the service and the food to be lovely. As a matter of fact my daughter was raving about the cake to her friends so it must of been nice ha ha.

The camping field itself is perfect. You are left to decide where you pitch and yes you can have your car beside your tent. Which is always an advantage when camping. The field itself is flat and completely surrounded by a hedge with long grass in the middle so there is always space for privacy. Just off the field is a little picnic area and a river. Even if you pitch at the far corner off the field you are only five minutes from the shower block.

As this is a working farm, children MUST be supervised at ALL times and the farmers wife certainly makes sure you know this. Understandably. However the farmer and his wife I have always found very helpful and pleasant, though the wife can come across as abrupt, I think this is just her way though.

The site allows campfires directly on the grass, which is fantastic and they do supply firewood but you do need to get your own kindling.

All in this is a lovely site if you just want a back to basics camping experience and is not too far from the beautiful lake district and surrounding areas. I have and will continue to recommend this site to friends and family as it is lovely and very reasonably priced

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Katsnug 1 review from this member

I have just returned home after spending 4 days camping at Holme Open Farm with my partner and young son (21 months).

We had a lovely time while camping here, the farm is a great place for small children. My son enjoyed visiting the animals each day and playing in the park. There is also a fantastic soft play area and area with small tractors for those rainy days, which unfortunately we only got around to using on the last day.

The river at the bottom of the field is also a plus and very picturesque. Camp fires are allowed and the farm also sells fire wood.

We didn't get round to using the cafe as we were out most days visiting the lakes and surrounding areas.

I found the toilets and showers fine and in good working order but those who aren't keen on spiders might not like them (such as my partner!)

All in all the farm has lots for children to do, the owners are friendly and I would definitely visit again!

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Amberains2012 1 review from this member

Stayed at Holme open farm with my boyfriend for 2 nights camping. The site is right in the country side and the camping area is good - next to a river and also there is long grass in the middle of the field which gives added privacy

We found Holme farm quite difficult to find because the brown signs directing us to the farm were always facing the opposite way so we would always drive past but we made it there in the end using my phone sat nav!

Toilet and shower and washing up facilities were normal the sort you find when camping on farms!

Pricing was reasonable for came to £26 for 2 nights stay.

We didn't use the cafe so cannot comment! However I did knock on the farm house door on the second day were there and asked the owner if I could charge my phone for a short while - there are no plugs anywhere not even in the toilets! I had no idea how to get home without the sat nab on my phone! She seemed to make up a price on the spot and asked me for £2 to charge my phone for an hour. I thought this was completely unreasonable considering its £2 for a car to stay at the farm over night and all I wanted was about 20 mins of charging! I thought they would have just allowed us to plug it in but obviously not!

Overall we didn't find the owners very friendly - maybe this is because we were young we don't know!

Overall we had a great time apart from that and enjoyed a fire both nights! They charge £5 for a bag of wood- we thought they might include some firelightrs or smaller kindling but they didn't so we had to go to the booths about 10 miles away to purchase this!

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Jonono8 1 review from this member

Spent the weekend here and loved it. Camping field good. The farm is great for the kids and loved the animals. The showers have improved since my last visit last year however the toilet block itself needs to be upgraded.

Thats the only down side to this fantastic site. Your allowed a campfire always a bonus to our family. Lovely and tranquil area with great pubs within 2miles.

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Neil camper piper 21 reviews from this member

I've been going to this site every year four five years now. I've been lucky to go out of school holidays so I've had the site pretty much to myself or with my girlfriend.

The site is easy to find from the motorway although I wouldn't fancy getting a caravan down the narrow lane. The site is split into two fields, one with a few statics and electric hookups for tourers. The tent field is a large, flat and is easy to peg with a river running at the bottom. Picnic tables are also down near the river.

If you want total peace and quiet then this is the site for you. You can have fires on the floor which is a rarity. Wood can be bought from the cafe at £5 a bag. The owners are friendly but leave you alone to do your own thing.

There are two play areas for kids, one is an inside area which is open in the school holiday and the other is near the camping field. Its great to walk around the farm and meet all the animals. My girlfriend loved the many cats that hang around the farm, a few even came to visit the tent as well.

The toilets are not the greatest with a shared block for men and women with two showers and a sink for washing up which is located near the farm house. I really don't mind the spider webs and the occasional swallow nest. At the end of the day you are on a working farm. You do always however have hot water for the showers and sinks. Its a great back to basics camp site but I do understand that families with young kids might not find this there cup of tea.

The surrounding area is lovely, there are two nature trails that you get maps for when you arrive that take you round the farms 120 acres. The walk to Sedbergh shows you some awesome views and takes about 40 minutes. The final hill can be a bit of a killer. There's plenty of cafe's and two pubs. One sells a great variety of gin but be warned its damn expensive. (2 gins+1 tonic= £22!) There is a great butchers and green grocers and a odds and sods shop where you can camping gas from.

There is very little light pollution here too which means if your lucky enough to get a clear sky then your in for a real treat.

I work long hours with having a pub so when I get the time to sneak off for a couple of nights I make this site one of my small oasis. Helps that my phone doesn't work when I get there.

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Clayre 2 reviews from this member

Well, we have just returned from a week at this site.

Initial thoughts were not that good, but as the days passed, this site grows on you.

I arrived with our tent, following the directions given by the site. The road along to the farm from the main road is a single track road with few passing places. You need to be confident in your reversing skills to use it!

We had an electric pitch and were on a big open field with the static caravans. Pitch was ample size, although if we had had a neighbour, it would have been cosier than some other sites.

The positive side of this site is the peace this site offers, even being on a working farm. We didn't mind the roosters cock-a-doodling at all times of the day and night! Being able to walk around the farm and see the animals is a lovely touch and our little boy loved getting up and personal with the sheep and goats.

Unfortunately, the toilet/shower block is the worst part of this site. Male and female toilets are in the same block, although the males are on one side and females on the other. Not bad you may think, but the showers are in the door before you even hit the toilets. I found this a bit uncomfortable, especially when it came to my 3 year old. Anyone could walk by (passed the closed door granted) while we were showering. Writing this now doesn't sound too bad but it isn't the most pleasant feeling when you are there!

Overall, this site is beautiful and a definite grower but for me, I feel the farm is trying to do too many things, ie working farm, open farm, static caravan site and campsite and they are bound to fall somewhere. Unfortunately for us it was the camping side that failed when it came to the toilet/shower block. It is such a shame because it offers so much.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Kimjv 1 review from this member

Great for families!

We just spent 2 nights at this campsite and really enjoyed it! This is our idea of camping. It's a working farm with goats, piglets, kittens and hens running around the place, which our children loved. Not to mention the sheep, cows and pony in the fields.

They allow campfires, that's unbeatable for us! Fire wood can also be bought from their shop. We loved the field itself, flat and good grass length, what made it even better was that they leave some long grass in the middle, this makes it more private from the people on the other side of the field and great exploring territory for the little ones.

It poured it down for a night and day while we were there but it did not matter as we took them into the indoor play soft play area and with a little peddle tractor circuit. There is a little cafe that was nice, with a gift shop and some art.

When the weather was nice there is an outdoor park. We went for a walk on the nature trail, it was fantastic! It was a beautiful, quiet and peaceful walking adventure, along the river, up over and along fields, mature trees, little woodlands, along the old railway line with lovely views.

The toilets and showers are also quite typical farm and not for the Arachnophobe but hot water was always available!

Previous     57 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Is Holme Open Farm child friendly?  YES, it accepts children  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Holme Open Farm?  There is a shop on site  View all facilities

Is Holme Open Farm dog friendly?  NO  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Sedbergh      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Cumbria

UKCS Meet Camping Exhibition, Wokingham 26/06 to 26/07
Approximately 100 different tents on display, and a range of camping accessories ...more