Visitor Reviews - Square And Compass

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > Central > Peak District & Derbyshire > Site Reviews

Square And Compass

Fishing   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding   Cycle Hire   Golf   Tennis
 Beach   Watersports   Boat Launch / Mooring
 Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   Dog Walk

Reviews:  16 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: September 2017 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: NigelHoll 2 reviews from this member

We went as a group of triker friends, with trailer tents and standard tents

Must admit the grass was long

But the new tenants had only opened on the Friday we arrived

They have great plans & I believe they will deliver

We were all made welcome by the staff & locals, we usually attract a bit of attention when we arrive in convoy

Yes there are only two toilets which double as showers, but they were spotless

The food on the Sat night was very good

We will be back again in May for a Warm Up Rally & really looking forward to seeing what they have done

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Lesleyc363 4 reviews from this member

1) the grass was long for pitching the tents on.

2) there was only two toilets for the whole camp that had 100 + people staying there. Dire.

3) the showers were in the toilet cubicle, so if people were using the showers, then no toilets were available?!?!

4) the showers were filthy, not just the floor but the shower tray, sink and toilet.

5) the camp was next to a fairly busy road.

6) the pub did meals, but not on a Sunday & it was closed on the Sunday night.

Me & the party wouldn't go back, would only recommend a one night stay max.

Terry, the meeter & greeter was pleasant though.

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Caton.p 3 reviews from this member

After visting this site many times, I think its going down hill fast. The wardens dog was left to roam round and do its mess, I had to ask him twice to pick it up, as it was next to our tent, which was not good.

Had good times at this site, it's in a lovely spot, to visit Bakewell and Matlock which has a lot of nice shops and pubs, also found a lovely pub up the road from the camp site, The Church. The food there was lovely, two sunday dinners for 10.

The toilet and showers need a good clean at the camp site. Seems a shame it's gone down hill ! Hope thing's get better.

Date of Visit: September 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Oldbikerman 4 reviews from this member

Arrived without booking, we never usually book campsites, we like 'seat of the pants' biking, and after all you can always go somewhere else. Landlady at pub was great and we duly paid for two nights.

This is a great spot, and we spent two lovely days around Matlock and the railway, and had several really good meals in 'The Compass' at a wondrously low price. Top marks for that.

Site facilities are basic and adequate for a couple of bikers (took a friend this time) and for anyone else come to that. I love sites that are quiet and small, although the field was perhaps bigger than we first thought, not that that is of any matter.

A good shower and toilet is in the pub, accessible all day round. Fees are good value. Would use this site again if we need to go Matlock.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jasper1 1 review from this member

I booked in on 23 July till mon 25 July. Grass long on site, only stopped one night despite paying and booking for 2 nights. Very noisy site due to people being allowed to play football till 3. 30am Sunday morning and shouting. Although resident warden was permanently sited on same field chose to say nothing, these were not young people 25 to 30 years old. When leaving site complained to landlord/landlady, response was we've all been young once.

Only 2 portaloos on site, although toilets available in pub which was part of site.

No lighting on site, also no play ground area. Pub adjacent to site which did cooking between designated hours, provision shop ten min walk.

Reviewer: Caton.p 3 reviews from this member

GREAT SITE, lovely views, friendly landlord and lovely food across at the pub. Toilet across at the pub along with two showers. There is a shop 5 mins walk away along with park and a steam train that runs in to Matlock, you can also catch a bus in to Bakewell, lots to do and see. There is also a lovely walk across the fields into Matlock. Three other pubs are in walking distance. Just wish they would cut the grass more can be a little to long. Been to this site now for the last three years a number of times love it !.

Reviewer: TREENEY 1 review from this member

Just spent one night at this site. When we arrived we were not impressed at all. We went to look around the area for alternative sites but failed so we returned. We are now glad we did. It is very basic and cheap (10pn) but the showers and toilets are clean. We were able to pitch the tent where we wanted and there was plenty of room between each tent.
We played a game of cricket together with out disturbing others and were able to have a laugh and a giggle without disturbing other campers. Only down side was having to cross a road to get to facilities which is not ideal in the middle of the night. Will revisit

Reviewer: M`n`Co 3 reviews from this member

We spent 2 nights here. It`s hard to find something positive to say. Grass too long, very uneven field, the 1 water tap was dirty, faulty and surrounded by muck, the toilets / showers were not great with loose toilet seats and no hand drying facilities and across a busy road, which was right next to the site with heavy lorries from about 5am.
Like I said it`s hard to find a positive and at 28 for 4 (14pn) definitely not value for money.

I`m sure the pub grub might be fine but they don`t cook on Tuesday nights (the night we arrived).

Date of Visit: September 2008 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Chris Graves 2 reviews from this member

Just spent two nights here Friday 12/9 and Sat 13/9. Prices must have gone up since the last reviewer visited. 10 per night for me and my tent. Considering the comments people have made about facilities, which I entirely agree with, I think this is extortionate.

Yes the pub is good, the beer is good, the food is reasonable. I could have used the pub anyway.

When I arrived home this afternoon I checked the reviews to see if my memory had played tricks with me and no, someone is quoting 5pppn.

I phoned the Square & Compass to see if they had made a mistake and the young lady informed that 10pppn was correct.

OK I could have voted with my feet on Friday night but it was late, getting dark and I was wet after a lengthy journey on my motorcycle. I couldn't face packing everything up and going elsewhere. Plus, I had arranged to meet some there friends there the following day.

Sorry if this has turned into a rant rather than a review but I hate having my leg lifted.

So Square & Compass, cut the grass and get some facilities on site if you want to justify this charge.

Date of Visit: July 2008 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Manda39 3 reviews from this member

We had a brilliant few days here. The amenities are as everyone else has said. Not great, but it`s in beautiful countryside and perfect to explore round and about.

The site was tidy and the grass was well cut.

The pub was friendly and the showers were clean and tidy.

Would visit again if we come up that way. And maybe take the kids next time. Mind you,if we did we`d probably miss somewhere to wash up.

Previous     16 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Derbyshire

Win a Broadlands 5A Inflatable Tent Bundle worth over 885 Win an OLPRO Shade Campervan Canopy worth 119

UKCS Meet The VolksWorld Show 23rd to 24th March, Surrey