Reviews of Knockerdown Inn

Campsite Search > UK > England > Central > Peak District & Derbyshire > Ashbourne > Knockerdown Inn Reviews

Knockerdown Inn
Carsington Water
Ashbourne
Derbyshire   (Browse area)
DE6 1NQ

Open: 01/03/2021 to 30/09/2021

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Glamping Units
 No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 Baby Changing Facilities   No Laundry   Drinking Water   Disabled Friendly
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   Recycling Facilities
 Shop <1 mile   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   Wifi Access
 No Fishing   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Horse Riding   Cycle Hire <1 mile   No Golf   No Tennis
 No Beach   Watersports <1 mile   No Boat Launch
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  30 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: August 2020 Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 3 Travelling as:  Family with young children
Reviewer: Jaynemcnally1 1 review from this member

Visited this site over the Bank holiday weekend, I booked for 3 nights at £25/- per night but only stayed for 2 as on our arrival day it poured it down with rain so we decided to delay our arrival. The party I was meeting had pre-paid for my pitch, the owners insisted that I had booked for 3 nights then the full payment was required, which is fair enough it was my choice not to go. However, when I arrived the following day even though the pitch had been paid for with EHU I was told I could not have electricity until 1200 that day. I argued this point with the owner who eventually reluctantly agreed to refund £5/-! Even though I was part of a party of 2 other campers the owners insisted that we were all separated due to Coronavirus, so we ended up on different parts of the camping field even though there was enough space to keep us together in our 'bubble'.

The advertisements for this site claim to have WiFi, this only applied to the pub, not the camping field.

Toilets, Showers, play areas and pot washing facilities were closed due to Coronavirus so I am unable to comment on these facilities. However, the most disgusting chemical waste disposal facilities I have ever experienced in all my years camping. The grass was long and desperately needed cutting.

On the site there were adjoining fields with donkeys and goats the children enjoyed visiting these animals. I did not visit the pub for a drink or a meal

Date of Visit: August 2019 Unit:  Motorhome
Nights stayed: 3 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: M Langford 1 review from this member

Very disappointed. Good for the lake down the road but the site is spoiled by many things. Toilets are basic but clean, showers are to pay for. C

hemical toilet waste hole was awful, and no way could I empty my grey waste. Parked next to the pub playground and bins, car park. Site was noisy passed 11:30.

Worst of all was the noise from the roads on 2 sides of the site, constant speeding cars and large m/cycles, and the refuse wagon that turned up at 05:14 in the morning to empty all the pub & site bins.

That was the final straw for us. £20 to stay in a pub car park basically. Food and service in the pub was good though.

Date of Visit: May 2019 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Rob Burton 12 reviews from this member

Very disappointing. Good location spoiled by cramped toilets in portacabins. Very basic facilities, including the worst chemical toilet disposal I have ever used. Worst of all children ran around screaming unchecked until 11pm.

I know that is mostly down to parents but there seemed little connection between the pub and the site other than collecting the fees. I am not given to negative reviews but this site is little more than a field behind a nice pub. Just not for us.

Date of Visit: August 2018 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Colgor 1 review from this member

Beautiful location and good food in the pub. Camping facilities acceptable but basic. The young staff in the pub were lovely, particularly the young lady who lived in the next village who could not do enough to help, but the family who own the place let it down. The main problem was that, for me, a campsite that has Inn in its name suggests there is a pub open in the evening but not so! One of the main attractions to book was so we could wander back to the tent after a social drink.

We stayed on a summer bank holiday weekend and even though the pub says open till late this really was not the case and once they stop selling food then the drinking side winds down and on a Saturday night stayed open till not long after 10. The following evening they stopped making food at 7. 30pm, when they had served until 8. 30pm the evening before, so on arrival at 8pm we were refused service even though we were staying there. We asked when they closed for a drink and we were told 10pm. Still very early but we rushed and found a chippy in Ashbourne, arrived back by 9. 30pm, and as we pulled in they turned the lights off and closed the pub, even though the weather was awful and they knew we were camping and had asked.

No taxis in the area and only one pub, the Nags Head, seemed to open to normal pub hours and in the summer too on a bank holiday weekend. We had to drive over to the Nags Head a couple of miles away in Hulland Ward and not have an alcoholic drink, for an hour or two, so as to stay warm before returning to the tent. Incidentally, that is a nice pub with a mix of friendly locals and visitors.

If you want a country pub for food in the day time (from 12) in a lovely location it is great. If you want a camp site, with basic facilities, with a pub to relax in at the evening then don't bother unless you are happy not to have a beer or glass of wine after 9pm. Nearby pubs shut early too but given this one is advertised as a camp site at least some of whose guests are naturally attracted because it is by a pub, then it is wrong to routinely shut up early and in the summer too! The owners should make it clear this pub does not open as an Inn or traditional evening Pub when they advertise it as a pub campsite.

We were left without an evening social beer or glass of wine in a pub, trapped not within walking distance from elsewhere, on two summer evenings, when we were staying at a pub campsite then that is reason for my poor rating. Customer service from young women was excellent and poor customer service rating is due to the owner.

Date of Visit: May 2018 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Trucker74 1 review from this member

I live fairly near so went a few times last year. Always found it a good, clean and friendly site.

On my first visit this year I find they have installed EHU on quite a few pitches. The price has gone up to £20 per night for one person (no charge for the dog) in our campervan. The pitches are generously sized and the site is well kept and the pub serves good meals with a selection of vegetarian options which I appreciate at reasonable prices.

Good walking, sailing if thatís your thing and water based activities. Plenty of local places to visit, including Alton Towers not too far away. Pub has a large kiddies play area and plenty of outside tables as well as inside.

Only drawbacks might be noise from the road, which doesnít bother me and the chemical emptying point need screening and updating. Though adequate, this is just my opinion.

For the new price you would expect bigger, permanent toilet and shower block too, but that would change the lovely rural, rustic ambience of the Knockerdown site.

I will be going back regularly as usual.

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Nevamissatrip 2 reviews from this member

Stayed here for 2 nights in the last weekend of September. Arrived to find a really lush lawn for our tent.

We were given a map and we made our way to our pitch. Plenty of room for our 5 man tent although only two of us in it. We paid £6 for the tent and £3 each person. £1 for the shower which was by a token.

Lots of animals around infact a small farm. A Lama, goats, a donkey, geese, an old owl ( no he didn't wake us up ) and chickens.

The toilets are porta cabins which were spotless, 3 ladies and 3 men's with wash hand basins ( hot and cold water a plenty)

There were 4 showers all with coin operated doors £1 for a token from the pub, I think we were the only ones who used them as they were always clean and dry when ever we went in. The showers were lovely and hot and for as long as you like.

There is a socket for a hairdryer or other appliance in the ladies toilet ( not sure about the men's I didn't go in ! )

There is a washing up room with plenty of hot water, bowls and a dish drainer.

There are flowers everywhere and I must say for what we paid it must be one of the best sites I have been to. Wouldn't hesitate to go again.

We also ate in the Knockerdown Inn which is attached to the site, a very busy place but we soon found a table, the food was good as was the atmosphere and the staff very welcoming and attentive.

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Shaster19 2 reviews from this member

Me my hubby and the dog just had a lovely weekend at The Knockerdown Inn near carsington waters stopped Saturday-Monday. The good points are the site is clean and tidy with easy access, child friendly with nice views.

The only negative points are no electric and the showers in the portable blocks are nice but think a £1 for a shower a bit much also the site can be very crowded as the pitches are very close to each other.

Date of Visit: May 2012 Unit:  Trailer Tent
Reviewer: Goldgraham 3 reviews from this member

This is the first time we had used a small campsite so some of the reviews were slightly worrying - so I was pleasantly surprised.

We booked on a Friday night and got a pitch on the Saturday. Booking in I was concerned I would have manoeuvring problems for our allocated pitch, but the diagram of the field is not to scale and so there was adequate room.

The pitches are quite small but there was plenty of room for our large trailer tent on a well kept grass pitch and for £11 I wasn't complaining. We parked next to the trailer but could have parked in the car park if we had wanted to leave room for the awning.

The showers now require a £1 token which you can purchase any time the bar is open. The loos and wash basins are bijoux but very clean with plenty of soap and paper - only cold water. The single washing up sink didn't seem to be a problem and the site was full.

The location is superb, you can bike from here round Carsington Water and it's easy to link onto the old railway line cycle tracks using quiet country roads. Walking is equally good. The old railway lines provide generally flat routes but the area is quite hilly if you are not a regular cyclist. The Miners Arms at Carsington is cheaper for bike hire than the Visitor Centre.

I didn't try the pub, we walked over to the Red Lion at Hognaston it's a pleasant 25 minute walk over the fields, there is a side gate from the campsite and the path then crosses the Pudding Room campsite next door.

The path is reasonably easy to follow with Carsington Water on your left and a line of pylons on your right. When you reach the path by the houses turn left and follow the path until it reaches the road, the Red Lion is down the hill.

Beer at the Red Lion was excellent and the landlord seemed to pay equal attention to the quality of the coffees he was making. The menu was more interesting (and more expensive) than the Knockerdown.

We will be using this campsite again, it's only a first impression but we reckon this was the best of the 3 sites in the immediate vicinity. Next time we'll try the coffee and cake at the Pudding Room.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Leona+briony 3 reviews from this member

We stayed here for a weekend, arriving Friday mid-afternoon, at the same time as several other people. However, we were quickly sorted, and given directions to our pitch.

The pitches are very small and crowded: Our very average 4-berth tent completely filled our pitch. We noticed that elsewhere, guy ropes from adjacent pitches overlapped. No electric hookup is available.

The site has approx 30 pitches, and was completely booked up for the weekend, with several extra tents pitched in the middle of the field.

The facilities are very basic, and totally inadequate for a site of this size: small portable cabin toilets which were very cramped and 3 (i think) showers in a separate portable cabin. You had to buy a token from the pub to use the showers. There is only 1 washing up sink.

By the Saturday evening, the smell around the toilet/shower/washing up area was disgusting. I think it was from the chemical toilet disposal point. We were very glad that our pitch was well away from here. I was also glad that we didn't have the pitch right behind the bins & recycling point.

Our pitch was at the top of the field, which is the most level part of the site, but right next to the overflow car-park, which was quite disruptive at pub closing time. It was also quite close to the road which was busy and noisy, particularly on the Friday night.

We didn't try the pub, so can't comment on the quality of their food or drinks.

There is a play area which the kids enjoyed when it wasn't too crowded. There was limited space elsewhere for ball games etc. (mainly the overflow car-park when it wasn't full of cars).

The views are nice, and it is a short walk (off road, though you have to cross it twice, and is not well signposted from the campsite) down to Carsington Water visitor centre.

I've had worse campsites, but this one could be so much better with fewer pitches spaced further apart, and adequate facilities to suit the number of pitches.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Flowerybap 5 reviews from this member

This campsite is great if you don't mind basic facilities and slightly confusing owners. The staff seemed disorganised and overworked and the owner chased us for money on a couple of occasions even though we had no idea how much it was supposed to be as we kept being charged different rates.

But anyway, had a great week here and met some lovely people. As it's a small family orientated campsite it's very easy to make friends. It's a short walk down to the reservoir which is fantastic for all ages as well as being pram and wheelchair friendly. We hired bikes down there which were really good value and the playground and visitors centre are fantastic.

The site could do with more showers, more sinks, bigger toilets and the pub needs to get more staff. It would also be nice to have somewhere to wash children as the toilets were too cramped and there was only one potwashing sink.

But due to location and lovely goats on site we will definitely be returning.

Previous     30 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Is Knockerdown Inn child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Knockerdown Inn?  There is a shop within 1 mile  View all facilities

Is Knockerdown Inn dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Ashbourne      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Derbyshire

UKCS Meet Scottish Caravan and Motorhome VIRTUAL Show 03/02 to 06/02
Browse the latest models, research purchases and watch expert webinars, all from the comfort of your sofa ...more