Visitor Reviews - Rydal Hall Campsite

Campsite Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Ambleside > Rydal Hall Campsite Reviews

Rydal Hall Campsite
Ambleside
Ambleside
Cumbria   (Browse area)
LA22 9LX
Tel: 015394 32050

Tent Pitches   No Caravans   No Motorhomes   Glamping Units
 No Electric Hookups   No Hardstandings   No Fully Serviced Pitches   Show Full Facilities
 No Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point
 Shop <5 miles   Bar <5 miles   Restaurant On Site   No Wifi Access
 Fishing 5 miles   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Beach   Watersports 5 miles   No Boat Launch
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 1 mile  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  34 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4

Date of Visit: June 2019 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Nights stayed: 3 Travelling as:  Solo traveller
Reviewer: Bikerhiker 13 reviews from this member

A lovely location with plenty of room between pitches out of season/mid week. Quiet and photogenic, with immaculate shower/toilet block. Good pan-wash points and outdoor freezer. I liked that vehicles are forced to park away from the pitches as 'car door slamming people' are muted! I get the eco thing with regard to rubbish and it makes you realise what you take for granted at home.

The path to Ambleside was handy to buy supplies, pubs and cafes etc. Buses every 20 minutes stop outside Rydal hall. I disliked being woken two nights in a row, once by a woman on the phone at 4am and another two girls oblivious to their voices carrying.

Generally though a quiet, peaceful site. Staff were friendly and helpful, though the reception process was painfully slow. I enjoyed the experience and would stay here again!

Date of Visit: June 2018 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: John dev 3 reviews from this member

Stayed for 4 nights for 1st time at this camp site and had a great time. All staff were very polite and helpful. Toilets and showers were cleaned every morning and the pitch we had [3] was flat with a great view. Tea room on site and walks straight from the site.

Only negative is there are no waste bins on site so you have to take your litter away with you otherwise the wildlife scatter it all over the site, as we found out on our return from a walk.

Site got very busy from Friday with DoE, one and coast to coast walkers. Badger pub 5 mins away, only small but ok. Grasmere and Ambleside about 40 mins walk or about £4 on the bus which stops at the bottom of the road, which is full of pot holes and needs care when driving to the site.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Mlcreed 7 reviews from this member

What a fantastic location! The setting is stunning with multiple level pitches surrounded by mature trees and views of the fells. Don't be put off if you are not a Christian, you're here to camp not to be converted, everyone was very friendly.

The toilet and washing facilities were probably the best I have ever experienced and the showers were free! Amazing.

As a guest of the campsite you are also free to wander around the grounds of the hall which are very impressive. We didn't have any problems with gated access or the wandering public.

Rydal itself is a 3 minute walk away with the gorgeous Badger Bar which has a great selection of food and real ales. Will definitely be back.

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Gazrow 5 reviews from this member

For many, this is the most perfect site in terms of location, surroundings and facilities. It's a dream place. With some faults. Overall, I'll be returning many times in the future.

Firstly, there's major construction going on to install a water generator that will provide enough electricity to power Ambleside. One of the two access roads for the construction vehicles is through the middle of the campsite and heavy vehicles use the road from about 7am. They kick up dust and are noisy and that's a bit of a spoiler.

The car parking is away from the camp ground and although there were very few campers there during my visit, it was not easy to get a parking space on the same location as my tent as some cars were left there all week. Plus, a team of gardeners were on-site and they parked their vehicles there all week and were using the toilet facilities, but not with the same care that campers would, IMO.

Access to the camp ground is via a 5-bar gate, which is a pain in itself for a solo car occupant, but what makes it much worse is that the ground around the gate is rutted, wet, muddy and coated with a dust like cement powder. So every entrance and exit bring horrible white mud into the car and cakes your shoes. This needs sorting with at least a concrete base. An automatic gate would be better still.

There's no doubt that this site suits smaller tents and I found it quite difficult to find a flat pitch for my 3x3 metres tent. In fact I didn't find a good spot, but I will change pitch next time. Carrying heavy gear could be a problem as it's not possible to get vehicles on the grass, which is a good thing, but it's also the reason I'll be using my Terra Nova Super Quasar next visit.

The site is open to the public and several groups wandered through the tents and with dogs and I can imagine this could be much worse on BH and high season weekends. This won't change, so be prepared for it.

The toilet, washing and dish washing areas are of a very high standard. Not sure whether they'd be sufficient when the site is maxed out. I'm told they often get group bookings by organisations.

I'll be returning, but would be every so pleased if they fixed the gate area.

Date of Visit: February 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Paulandsue 6 reviews from this member

What can I say, booked 4 nights and left after 2. 7-730 wakeup call from the construction traffic followed by a steady flow of traffic. Walkers wandering around scratching their heads as to why the toilets are locked. I spent 5 mins wandering round c8 trying to find a FLAT bit big enough for my volosity 3. You NEED hard ground pegs as the stone is only a few inch below. All the construction traffic has covered my tent and car in fine dust from the road. You are expected to dispose of rubbish as there is NO refuse area, however the sheep will gladly spread it over the field for you.

Ok the plus side. Fresh fell water, very smart and clean toilet block. Like the shower setup with under floor heating :-). Friendly staff on arrival.

This for me is a defo don't go back.

Date of Visit: October 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Taxis Kendal 29 reviews from this member

Fantastic campsite all round. Superb views, with an amazing warm and clean toilet and shower block. Very quiet site, with little hillocks separating small groups of tents when busy. No road noise at all. We were the only campers on the huge field on our Monday night in October. £18.50 for two adults, small tent and our car. Note you do need to carry from the car a short way to your pitch. The Fairfield Horseshoe is ideally attacked from this site, with more beautiful walking on your doorstep.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Privatehudson 18 reviews from this member

This is a very nice and well organised site, which is ideally located mid way between Ambleside and Grasmere. It is also right at the foot of the Fairfield Horseshoe, so ideal for walking. There's also a pub just down the road

The toilet and shower block is fantastic, always clean and has several plug sockets, which are especially useful for backpackers like myself. There is a cafe on site and the whole setting is very attractive, with a waterfall, gardens and main hall nearby. I enjoyed my stay and would definitely return again

Reviewer: Debsdenton 1 review from this member

We have stayed at this site several times now and I think it is my favourite. We love the fact that there are several smaller areas rather than one huge field, the pub nearby is great, as is the tea shop.

You can easily walk into Ambleside, and (longer walk but very nice) Grasmere as well, and it is in a great position for hillwalking.

The facilities are lovely, although I would agree with the review which complained about the cleaning. I think it is over the top and not very customer-friendly to completely shut the facilities for cleaning at key times.

The only other thing I would watch for is that they can sometimes 'cram' you in at peak times which is the downside of their unique pitches. Still, we will be returning!

Reviewer: Pitchers 1 review from this member

Brilliant campsite. We stayed here for just over a week with 2 children aged 5 and 7. We were allocated a great pitch not too far from the toilet block. Clean facilities and adequate number of showers - which are free so no rummaging for change. Some pitches were quite far from the toilet block and some were up high which may not suit those with young children. We would actually request one of the higher up pitches next time for the view. Yes, you do have to park and then carry your stuff but that means a car free area to play in and great views.

Waterfalls on site were a real bonus along with the streams, the peace gardens and the formal Hall gardens too.

25 minute walk to Ambleside along a good footpath. After a meal and some wine we did get taxi back which was only £5. Good pub nearby with Acoustic night where they made us welcome and gave the children shakers to join in.

Only bad point was that the freezer couldn't cope and didn't actually freeze our icepacks. This was not really a problem just an observation. We will definitely return.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jbb1003 5 reviews from this member

Had a very pleasant stay at the end of August. Some rain, but the site is generally hilly, and therefore drains very well. I don't think I saw any puddles anywhere apart from the potholes on the driveway. I really like the layout of the campsite - small groups of tents separated by patches of rough ground really improve the view. In general it's a quiet campsite. There was a group one night, and I was woken up by their instructors yapping away at about midnight - however they quietened down instantly when I stuck my head out of the tent.

The wash block is excellent, warm, and in response to another review, did have soap. The showers are a little on the hot side though, which was a problem for my three year old, so I washed her in the sink instead!

There are regular and frequent buses to Ambleside/Grasmere at the foot of the hill, excellent access to the fell up Nab Scar, and it's a flat easy walk of about a mile and a half into Ambleside.

Food at Potted Out in Grasmere was excellent, but don't go there for friendly service! Neighbours said the cream teas at Cote How are expensive but very good. The Badger in Rydal does ok food, but in my opinion is trying to be a gastropub when it isn't really there. Good for emergencies when you're too knackered to cook.

Sheep are both a pro (if your eldest likes them) and a con (if their bleating wakes your youngest up for the first night or two). Chickens are just a pain really, I could do without them, but I suppose they add character.

Adventure playground is a bit run-down. Freezer was broken for the last couple of days, so no freezing icepacks, but the Tesco in Ambleside had ice.

We were on Vodafone, and got intermittent network connection - generally just enough to get the weather forecast, but you wouldn't want to rely on it.

The major bug bear for me was the toilet cleaning. The toilet block is completely closed from 6am-7am (and this realistically meant 7. 15). At that time in the morning the backup loo (at the cafe) isn't open, so it gets a bit problematic when your 3-year old needs a poo at 7am - and I got up at 6. 30 one morning to go for a run, and it was 7. 20 before I could get going. I can't see why they can't have the ladies open while the mens are cleaned, and then vice versa.

Previous     34 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Cumbria

Win a Buzz Quattro Tilting 4 Bike Carrier Win a Best of British Holiday worth up to £175!

UKCS Meet Tribfest Festival 15th to 18th August, E Yorks
The biggest tribute band music festival in the world! Use promo code “tribukcampsite” to save 10% on Weekend Camping Tickets! ...more